Federer wins the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award? - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #166
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who deserves to win the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award?

They should rename the award "The Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award for a player in the top 3". The award is a joke. It is simply for publicity to draw attention to a star player so long as he does not take part in criminal activity.

It may be good for tennis but I can almost guarantee you that the best sportsmanship is displayed by players not even nominated for this award.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #167
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
The problem here is that you think it's a given that nadal and djokovic break the rules. But they don't. Otherwise they would be warned and fined, that's why the rules exist. All you people say are pressumptions based on your like/dislike of a player. The rules are there for the umpires and officials to impose them and if they don't it's their own fault. Rafa and Nole have received numerous warnings for the time they take to serve but I don't believe that's deliberate or gamesmanship, it's completely unconscious from their part, they can't help it, and I don't see why that is breaking the rules.
And medical time outs? they're there for a reason, they're completely legal. Retirements? same thing. So on what base do you accuse them of gamesmanship? It's all bollocks.
Again I disagree completely. Nadal and Djokovic both know how long they're allowed between points and between serves. They continue to take way longer than allowed. Nadal is more guilty (guiltier? Brain fried after watching Roger's masterclass) of this than Djokovic is. I distinctly remember BOTH of them getting a time violation warning at the US Open final this year. Isn't this proof enough? Just because they don't get fined doesn't mean that they hadn't broken the rules. And it's breaking the rules simply because they KNOW what the rules are and yet they don't do anything to change their "unconscious" habits. Even if it's not deliberate, the rules are the rules. Nobody should get a free pass just because it's a habit. In this sense, though, I agree with you that it's on the umpires to enforce the rules. It's honestly quite stupid that they don't, although on the WTA side, Ivanovic was defaulted an entire game this year for taking too long during a bathroom break. THIS is what should happen, not the current situation when many people (fans here and commentators and journalists alike) think that Player X is taking too long on purpose and nothing's been done about it. Maybe the rules are enforced for the lower ranked players or at the Challenger. If that's so, it's still bullshit that the top players continue to get away with it.

MTOs are legit until a player starts to use them to disrupt his opponent's rhythm. Nadal's guilty of this. Djokovic, not so much, at least not in recent times. Nadal's MTO against Petzschner in Wimbledon last year was suspicious to say the least. And tongues only start wagging when a player pulls something suspicious too often.

I have no issues with retirements per se; it can't be gamesmanship if the match ends right there and then and the retiring player's opponent wins. But sometimes I prefer players to take a beating like a man. Case in point: Roger sticking it out in his RR match against Murray at the Masters Cup in Shanghai 2008. But then, this is just a personal thing and I don't think it really has a huge bearing on a player's sportsmanship; I get the sense that it was just Roger sticking to his principles and I admire him for that.

And sometimes, when a player retires too often, you just can't help but wonder if the reasons behind it are legit. Djokovic used to be guilty of this, but thankfully he's been much better this year.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #168
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

When people say there are other players more deserving what are they basing that on? Is there something specific these other players are doing that should be called out? And if it's so obvious to MTF'ers then why isn't it obvious to the players who decide this? I get that the fan favorite award is a popularity contest and most likely one of the top, most well known player will win that. But if the SE award is the same it's the players who have decided to make it that way. Even if they don't have a say on who is nominated I doubt anyone is forcing them to vote for Fed (or #2).

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #169
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
Surely Roger. He was so nice, he gifted Nadal that 3 games .

Nice to have you back. Now leave again
Matt01 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #170
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
That's not the point. Of course the opponent is daft if he believes that Nadal is not the favorite but the point is Nadal is still playing mind games and therefore guilty of off court gamesmanship as well, regardless of how his opponent reacts to this.
Reporters ask him questions like that all the time though – "Do you believe you're the man to beat here?", "Who's the favourite to win this event?"… etc – it's not just a Nadal proclamation that he's not the favourite at an event to throw off his opponent's game. It's questions from reporters and he has to respond to loaded questions sometimes, just like Roger. What's Nadal supposed to say? Just ignore the question or say that he is the favourite and come off as a douchebag?
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #171
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Reporters ask him questions like that all the time though – "Do you believe you're the man to beat here?", "Who's the favourite to win this event?"… etc – it's not just a Nadal proclamation that he's not the favourite at an event to throw off his opponent's game. It's questions from reporters and he has to respond to loaded questions sometimes, just like Roger. What's Nadal supposed to say? Just ignore the question or say that he is the favourite and come off as a douchebag?
I think you can be honest without being a douchebag about it and say, "I've won the event 5 times so I guess I am the favorite but there are other players also who can beat me here" instead of flat out saying you're not the favorite when you clearly are. You're acting like it's either you're a douchebag or a liar when there's actually the middle ground of polite honesty. Before the ascent of Djokovic, Nadal was being a liar when he said he's not the favorite for Roland Garros and other tournaments he won a bazillion times and therefore playing mind games. End of.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #172
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you can be honest without being a douchebag about it and say, "I've won the event 5 times so I guess I am the favorite but there are other players also who can beat me here" instead of flat out saying you're not the favorite when you clearly are. You're acting like it's either you're a douchebag or a liar when there's actually the middle ground of polite honesty. Before the ascent of Djokovic, Nadal was being a liar when he said he's not the favorite for Roland Garros and other tournaments he won a bazillion times and therefore playing mind games. End of.
this...
Nadull's fake humble persona is the most annoying thing about him, maybe only except his butt-picking antics. Not only a cheater is dishonest, but he is also a dirty mug. Disgraceful
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #173
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even going by your statement of "I've won the event 5 times so I guess I am the favourite but there are other players also who can beat me here", you'll be viewed as a liar "You GUESS you're the favourite? You've won this event ever since you entered, how can you say there are players who can beat you?". If you were to be really honest, you'll take out the "GUESS" and the the false statement of "anyone can beat you on the surface" because history says otherwise, now make a politically correct statement about that.

Federer, an older man who is rather well spoken, is crucified for being an arrogant jerk when he even hints about having a leg up on others (even if it's obvious that he does). Now put that together with the language barrier and people are expecting a twenty-something to express himself in a tactful way every time?
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #174
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Very few posts in this thread actually include a suggestion for who should win the award.

I think Baghdatis should get it, he is incredibly nice, I don't think anyone dislikes him.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #175
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Even going by your statement of "I've won the event 5 times so I guess I am the favourite but there are other players also who can beat me here", you'll be viewed as a liar "You GUESS you're the favourite? You've won this event ever since you entered, how can you say there are players who can beat you?". If you were to be really honest, you'll take out the "GUESS" and the the false statement of "anyone can beat you on the surface" because history says otherwise, now make a politically correct statement about that.

Federer, an older man who is rather well spoken, is crucified for being an arrogant jerk when he even hints about having a leg up on others (even if it's obvious that he does). Now put that together with the language barrier and people are expecting a twenty-something to express himself in a tactful way every time?
You're reaching. There are other players who can beat Nadal, Soderling did, Federer can, Djokovic can, Del Potro can, even Isner nearly did. It's not like he's saying "There are other players who WILL beat me." He's going to be saying there's a possibility, and there always is. That's not lying. Take out the "guess" if that satisfies you It still doesn't change anything. You can be polite and honest with your answers, without being a douchebag or a liar.

Honestly, if you can't find the middle ground, I don't know how you function in your life.

And nobody is expecting Nadal to be tactful every time, read back on the thread please. Someone made a statement about how Nadal is perfectly gracious and gentlemanly off court and we're just stating that he plays mind games too like Federer does except he's more subtle and "humble" about it.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #176
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
Very few posts in this thread actually include a suggestion for who should win the award.

I think Baghdatis should get it, he is incredibly nice, I don't think anyone dislikes him.
Nieminen should have won it at least once. Baghdatis that's a solid call.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #177
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

ela Markouli
Getta is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #178
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post

well if that's the criteria then most of the tour should get it at some point. I'm assuming most of the pros are nice guys.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #179
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
well if that's the criteria then most of the tour should get it at some point. I'm assuming most of the pros are nice guys.
some are nicer than others

and there's always the nicest
Getta is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #180
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Del Potro should get the award, he's incredibly nice. I don't support him in any way, but I think he's one of the nicest and most polite on tour.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread