Vintage British comedy - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vintage British comedy

I've always been a huge fan of British comedy. As a child I loved the Benny Hill Show, and find it actually still quite amusing. Blackadder is propably the best comedy series (although the first series was pretty bad) in the history of TV. Smith and Jones, Laurie and Fry, there are so many funny shows.

Although I quite liked Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, I have to say that it was maybe a bit overrated. Especially Sir Bumphrey was really annoying with his pompous appearence. And you could see miles away that he wasn't a "ladies man". The opening titles and opening music was also really stupid and trying to be satirical.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
country flag bad gambler

bad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vintage British comedy

Fawlty Towers was one of my favourite comedies. I can't believe only 12 episodes were produced.
bad gambler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

The only British humor I like is Mr. Bean.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to watch 'only fools and horses' and 'still game' they are the best. I don't like the modern stuff at all, Its not funny at all...
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Black Adder and Monty Python rock
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In the 90's as a teen i used to love to watch re-airings of Are You Being Served on PBS.
It was like 15-20 years old back then
but just out-dated enough to be so interesting and fun... i'd watch it now.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching an old one called Doctor in the House and a newer show called Outnumbered.

British comedy is the best.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

On The Buses, Man About The House, Just Good Friend and Dear John have got to be the best ones ever
Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Michael View Post

Although I quite liked Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, I have to say that it was maybe a bit overrated. Especially Sir Bumphrey was really annoying with his pompous appearence. And you could see miles away that he wasn't a "ladies man". The opening titles and opening music was also really stupid and trying to be satirical.
the reason those shows are rated so highly is that everyone who has worked in politics/the civil service says it's the most accurate depiction of how the political system works that has ever been put on screen
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
the reason those shows are rated so highly is that everyone who has worked in politics/the civil service says it's the most accurate depiction of how the political system works that has ever been put on screen
Yes I know and I also think they are quite funny. I watched two episodes today and I still have to say that there is such a "little finger/pinky" feel to it, if you know what I mean? I don't know if you use such a description in the English language. But the way Humphrey/Bumphrey speaks just reminds me of the ultimate closeted pompous idiot. Mr. Hacker and Bernard were funny though.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
I have been watching an old one called Doctor in the House and a newer show called Outnumbered.

British comedy is the best.
I really like Outnumbered, the children actors in that one are brilliant.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff. Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, all really terrific.

Guilty pleasure: even the cheesy shit like Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By.

More modern: British Office was good, and right now I'm loving That Mitchell and Web Look (Peep Show is a bit too crass for the wife).
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

It all began with the Goons.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
country flag vince_volley

vince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
You've got to watch 'only fools and horses' and 'still game' they are the best. I don't like the modern stuff at all, Its not funny at all...
Still Game is brilliant.