Are there any vegetarians in here? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #46
country flag nadejda

nadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any vegetarians in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the biscuit View Post
Yes, it's a lifestyle, you have to be very conscious about it. It's also so that the amount of veggies and fruit you have to eat to get to the equivalent of a piece of meat, is pretty high. For example, 100g of spinach and 100g of red meat both contain more or less 3,5g of iron. But 100g spinach is a lot more on your plate than a 100g steak. I don't even think you can fit 100g of spinach on a plate (when it's not cooked). That's why my sister was often snacking on chickpeas, because she had to get her protein and iron for the day. I think if you can do it and be healthy, good for you, but I don't think it's easy, it requires an effort.

JG, please, if you don't eat a portion of half a kilo, there is no issue. 100-150g, as is advised.

I like variety in my diet, I love veggies but all beans and no meat would make me a very sad girl. Still, it's personal, I guess.

BTW, I love peppers. Stuffed with lamb mince.
actually it is not that simple for example the iron absorbtion into your body. There are pleanty of foods that interfefere whit each other and can increase/decrese the absorbtion of a certain element, sometimes 5-10 times! If you for example eat thet meat with some cheese or cream souse you may not absorb it at all or absorb very few. Those simple calculations here and there are to a big degree irrelevant for me. 100g of spinach can come in a salad with other vegs and is not a problem at all. Cooking them is also possible, you don't eat the meat row too, no?

BTW I also don't understand that protein concerns. You can hardly become protein deficient is you eat some 2000 calories per day no matter what you eat. There is a protein into absolutely everything. Also nobody is mentioning about if the protein consumtion is too much? Do you think that is healthy?

Grigor Dimitrov

Soderling Cilic Murray Gasquet Tsonga Wawrinka Kohlshreiber Fognini Berdych Haas Melzer F.Lopes Nieminen Pospisil Davydenko Baghdatis Mahut Bellucci Berankis Harrison Troicki

Sampras & Safin

most beautiful sports: volleyball and tennis
nadejda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #47
country flag the biscuit

the biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadejda View Post
actually it is not that simple for example the iron absorbtion into your body. There are pleanty of foods that interfefere whit each other and can increase/decrese the absorbtion of a certain element, sometimes 5-10 times! If you for example eat thet meat with some cheese or cream souse you may not absorb it at all or absorb very few.
Isn't that the same for vegetables?

Quote:
Those simple calculations here and there are to a big degree irrelevant for me. 100g of spinach can come in a salad with other vegs and is not a problem at all. Cooking them is also possible, you don't eat the meat row too, no?
If you incorporate spinach in a salad, how much do you use? 20g? In the end, with other vegetables added, the salad will contain about the same amount of iron as a whole bag of spinach. If you cook the spinach, you don't have many other options combination-wise.

Quote:
BTW I also don't understand that protein concerns. You can hardly become protein deficient is you eat some 2000 calories per day no matter what you eat. There is a protein into absolutely everything.
You totally missed my point tbh. I never said that it is unhealthy or that meat is better for your health. I do think it requires less of an effort being healthy as a meat-eater than as a vegetarian, if only because most of us are omnivores and we have more options while vegetarians need to actively look for substitutes. If you can't put in the work, you can end up with a vegetarianism-related deficiency quite easily. It's not a lifestyle for lazies. This is what I have been saying for the past three posts and what everybody is ignoring (because they want to?). If you can be healthy as a vegetarian, great, yayyy, but some fail to do so because it's demanding.

Quote:
Also nobody is mentioning about if the protein consumtion is too much? Do you think that is healthy?
Probably nobody is talking about it because it isn't relevant to the discussion.
the biscuit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the type to refuse salad at a barbecue to make room on the plate for more meat.

I generally cannot stand fruit and vegetables despite their various health benefits. Must be because I was brought up on junk food and homecooked meaty meals, while even the adults used to frown at veggies, but tried their best to make some veggie meals for the health benefits, so any veggies made tasted horrible and left untouched. Guess in my case it's because of my upbringing.

I visited a friends place recently and him and his wife are full vegetarians (including no fish, eggs, chicken etc). Staying there for a couple days, eating his wife's vegetarian cooking I realised how great veggie meals can actually be when done properly. One meal involved spicy mixed rice (with sweetcorns, peppers, celery, chickpeas, various beans), homecooked pitta (can't spell it) bread, half a pepper filled with chili cous-cous and various sweet and sour dips. Dessert was a fruit salad with syrup - not that I normally eat meat for dessert, but that's alot healthier than triple chocolate ice cream.

It was like a whole new world opening up to me, and I could easily replace numerous meaty meals throughout the week with vegetarian food of that quality.

Unfortunately, I'll never be able to cook food like that, it'll just end up tasting awful, so I'll end it here to get back to my double cheeseburger.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #49
country flag nadejda

nadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=the biscuit;11467752]
Quote:
You totally missed my point tbh. I never said that it is unhealthy or that meat is better for your health. I do think it requires less of an effort being healthy as a meat-eater than as a vegetarian, if only because most of us are omnivores and we have more options while vegetarians need to actively look for substitutes. If you can't put in the work, you can end up with a vegetarianism-related deficiency quite easily. It's not a lifestyle for lazies. This is what I have been saying for the past three posts and what everybody is ignoring (because they want to?). If you can be healthy as a vegetarian, great, yayyy, but some fail to do so because it's demanding.
That is exactly what I've been opposing too. No, it is not more difficult to be vegetarian. Why do you think omnivories doesn't develop defeciencies? They do. Very often, just not those that vegetarians do, but other nutrients are quite often missing.(vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber, folate, magnesium ect.) I am against that to qialify vegetarianism as some sort of very hard daily regime, while eating meat is just that easy to get all your needed nutrients. It is not that way. Omnivores can also develop certain number of deficiencies, even though those are more than often ignored to be mentioned. I know peaople on a meat eating diet who looks pale, not healthy and are deficient even in nutrients they are not supposed to be - like iron for example. Eating meat doesn't solve the problem just like not eating it. Lifestyle for laziest doesn't guarantie health on both vegetarians and non vegetarians. It is ironically that people pay more attention to vegetariansm related defeciencies more , even though they are as common as those to the meat eaters one.

For that matter I think both meat eaters and vegetarians should have to take care and eat healthy to avoid any kind of defeiceincies.

Grigor Dimitrov

Soderling Cilic Murray Gasquet Tsonga Wawrinka Kohlshreiber Fognini Berdych Haas Melzer F.Lopes Nieminen Pospisil Davydenko Baghdatis Mahut Bellucci Berankis Harrison Troicki

Sampras & Safin

most beautiful sports: volleyball and tennis

Last edited by nadejda : 11-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.
nadejda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #50
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you eat what you need to eat to have sufficient nutrients you should be fine.

I think Vegan level is a little bit more challenging but even then they say there are ways to get them nutrients.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #51
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

So far I would say I feel more calm, relaxed, and getting better sleep patterns out of a vegetarian diet.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #52
country flag Moose Limb

Moose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
In some sciences (I think psychology and maybe even biology) they use to categorize them as having an "eating disorder". I'm wondering if getting getting zinc, iron, omega3 and other key nutrients found in meat, are satisfactory or not if they are taken in through chocolate (in the case of zinc), iron (say through apples and carrots), and omega3 from walnuts. I'm assuming vegetarians would have to eat tons of these (especially for omega3) in addition to supplements, just to be safe enough to make sure their body absorbed enough nutrients.
Not true. A lacto-ovo vegetarian diet provides all necessary nutrients. Veganism, on the other hand, would require a supplement or two to obtain all necessary nutrients.
Moose Limb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #53
country flag shiaben

For Omega3 is there any other efficient ways to get it outside of walnuts and fish oil supplements?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #54
country flag Moose Limb

Moose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For Omega3 is there any other efficient ways to get it outside of walnuts and fish oil supplements?
You can get O3 fatty acids in flax seeds, winter squash, olive oil, and various beans, such as soybeans, navy beans, and kidney beans. The highest concentrations are found in flax seeds, followed by walnuts, which you mentioned. You can also obtain O3 eggs which come from hens who were fed an O3 rich diet. But eggs are not an option for many vegetarians.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #55
country flag shiaben

Had no idea they were in other beans outside of soy. Interesting. I love kidney beans so I would be comfortable with those. I've heard of people getting them from certain eggs, didn't know how, but now it makes sense, feed the hens with that specific kind of diet.

I'm assuming some vegetarians don't eat eggs because of high cholesterol?

Do you or anyone else know if sesame tahini is low in cholesterol? Because I know peanut butter is high in fat but low in cholesterol, so I thought perhaps sesame tahini should be similar; higher in fat but low in cholesterol.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #56
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post
I put flax and/or hempseed oil in my smoothies (as well as eating raw nuts) and go through good olive oil very quickly. Great for the skin and hair and blood quality.
what smoothies do you make?

Always like new food ideas
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
country flag Moose Limb

Quote:
Had no idea they were in other beans outside of soy. Interesting. I love kidney beans so I would be comfortable with those. I've heard of people getting them from certain eggs, didn't know how, but now it makes sense, feed the hens with that specific kind of diet.

I'm assuming some vegetarians don't eat eggs because of high cholesterol?

Do you or anyone else know if sesame tahini is low in cholesterol? Because I know peanut butter is high in fat but low in cholesterol, so I thought perhaps sesame tahini should be similar; higher in fat but low in cholesterol.
Sesame Tahini is indeed as you suspected - high in fat and the cholesterol is virtually non-existent.

Regarding vegetarians and eggs, if one is a lacto vegetarian, they would not consume eggs. It could be for a bevy of reasons, harming future life, for example. I am of the lacto-ovo variety, so I do consume eggs and dairy products.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #58
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I have never heard of Spinach and/or Kale in a Smoothie. But that's what I like about MTF you can learn all kinds of things here not just tennis information
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #59
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

I read a stat recently that vegetarians were 70% more flatulent than non vegetarians, strange but true...
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #60
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Not eating meat is not natural. Humans evolved as omnivores, thus the structure of our jaw and presence of sharp teeth designed for tearing meat. I will never understand vegans or vegetarians because eating SOME meat can be good for you and not eating animal products based on religion and belief is quite ridiculous.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote