New Marcelo Rios book just came out - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #61
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Marcelo Rios book just came out

Riosresigned, it is surprising that Rios made such an impact in Chile or South American Tennis. Didnt they have someone more accomplished than Rios. Like Kuerton or Gaudio or Villas from History. They are surely more successfull and got a more solid accomplishment than Rios. No disrespect to Rios and his supporters but at the end of the day ATP Number 1 is just a parameter for the success players have on court and not vice versa.

Like a Wozniacki, number 1 but no slams.

Its surprising that they look up to Rios so much when they likes of Kuerton,Gaudio and Vilas around.

Again retiring at 28 is rather strange. Seems to be he had a lack of motivation than fitness issues. You have so many examples of the Top Blokes and Girls who defied their age and carried well over the normal retiring age. Like Sampras,Connors,Navra,McE,Agassi .

Also i will take someone like Gonzales over Rios anyday. A Player who always gave his all on the tennis court.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
country flag mooncreek

mooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond repute

If I have the timeline correct, Rios' success was around the same time as Kuerten's first French Open (1997-1998). But at the time, Kuerten was a middling player (ranked in the 60s when he won FO, considered initially a fluke run) while the hopes really rode on Rios. Kuerten had a bigger overall impact of course but Rios definitely led to the success of Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu (remember, these guys won the first Summer Olympic medals ever for Chile - a case where Olympics do mean more than the rest).

Argentina has had continued success starting with Vilas, of course, but that's really the only South American country that had made a significant impact in tennis prior to Rios and Kuerten.
mooncreek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #63
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

Rios was brilliant when he was on. Such a waste that he couldn't really deliver. He seemed like a player that even the smallest injury affected him. He didn't feel like playing, if he only felt 95% fit.

Also such a pity that he rarely played against the likes of Agassi and Sampras. I just loved the way he destroyed Agassi when they played.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #64
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Shinoji; I have heard from Chilean people that Rios is still the all time #1 sportsman in Chile's history, more so than Massu and Gonzo, eventhough they won gold medals at the Olympics. TV and newspapers followed him while he was still even a junior. Look at his resume on wikipedia, all the scrapes with the law, he was almost like a Tyson character. I mean one time he was in the wash room of a nightclub doing his business and the guy next to him taking a wizz, suddenly noticed it was Rios pissing at this side and began to tell him how much he liked him, blah blah. What does Rios, do? He turned and pissed on him. The alleged gambling away of his Australian Open earnings. This guy as an artist on the court and also a wildman off it. This equals huge popularity and notoriety. Tennis was a dead sport pre-Rios but when he came along the public courts filled up, people began to play. I remember on TV they said Rios dominated Guga in the juniors and for the first few matches in ATP but then Guga won in Paris and lost to Rios badly the next time they played on clay. But later Guga was able to beat Rios Both were huge inspirations for S. American tennis, in their own ways. So was Vilas. Gaudio is kind of forgotten now almost, though his French Open win was one of the best miracles in a slam final we will ever see.

I still think getting to #1 is a monumental achievement, in a way it's better than winning a slam. It shows you are the best player in the world. How many slam winners have their been in modern history compared to the total of #1s? A LOT more slam winners. Getting to #1 is more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Riosresigned, it is surprising that Rios made such an impact in Chile or South American Tennis. Didnt they have someone more accomplished than Rios. Like Kuerton or Gaudio or Villas from History. They are surely more successfull and got a more solid accomplishment than Rios. No disrespect to Rios and his supporters but at the end of the day ATP Number 1 is just a parameter for the success players have on court and not vice versa.

Its surprising that they look up to Rios so much when they likes of Kuerton,Gaudio and Vilas around.

Again retiring at 28 is rather strange. Seems to be he had a lack of motivation than fitness issues. You have so many examples of the Top Blokes and Girls who defied their age and carried well over the normal retiring age. Like Sampras,Connors,Navra,McE,Agassi .

Also i will take someone like Gonzales over Rios anyday. A Player who always gave his all on the tennis court.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #65
country flag Jenrios
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Jenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond repute

Quite simply, Rios was the best player ever to pick up a racket. If you've never watched any of his best matches, than you can't possbly comment. I know lots of European Rios fans - made lifelong friends, and yes, I travelled around the world to see Rios play. I've yet to find a player who can even begin to replace him. Yes, he played some dreadful matches, but when he was on, he was unbelievable! You only had to attend matches and hear the neutrals gasp at some of the shots he hit. He made it all look so easy at times. As soon as he hit number 1, the injuries took their toll, and by the end of 98, it was already the beginning of the end - back fracture, double groin op and the back injury that ended his career. Seeing how Djokovic has turned the mental side of his game around, I'm sure Rios would have done the same - but he never got the chance to show us how great a player he could have been, in respect of winning slams etc.

Can't wait to read this book! My order has been placed

Marcelo has an enormous talent. Gaudio, RG champion 2004

"Rios ... he has a beautiful game, great forehand and great touch," Federer, World number 1

Guillermo Coria: "Ríos and Vilas are my two idols"
Jenrios is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #66
country flag Jenrios
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Jenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond repute

and even today, you still hear Brit commentators talking about how great Rios was. One claimed that Tony Nadal tried to model Rafa's game on Marcelo's. Look at the players who have cited him as an influence - Fed, Safin, and he's still influencing - Dolgopolov.

Marcelo has an enormous talent. Gaudio, RG champion 2004

"Rios ... he has a beautiful game, great forehand and great touch," Federer, World number 1

Guillermo Coria: "Ríos and Vilas are my two idols"
Jenrios is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #67
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrios View Post
and even today, you still hear Brit commentators talking about how great Rios was. One claimed that Tony Nadal tried to model Rafa's game on Marcelo's.

if that much is true then rafito for sure didnt learn anything, no?

rios' talent in unique. i've never seen anyone like him. the type of stuff he could do on court, the versatility and the shots he was able to pull were from out of this planet.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #68
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
No disrespect to Rios and his supporters but at the end of the day ATP Number 1 is just a parameter for the success players have on court
and all this time i was thinking the number 1 was a parameter for the success players had in the bedroom. silly me...

Quote:

Quote:
Also i will take someone like Gonzales over Rios anyday.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #69
country flag abraxas21

Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #70
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post

These two quotes are enough to highly spark my interest in Rios' book.
I find it funny to hear Nasty calling him a prick though
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #71
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Rios was and always will be the men .....If he got his mental state right he would have won 10 GS at least
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #72
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Rios was a unique cat, danced to his own tune. Some like it and others don't.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #73
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

He had possibly the best lefty backhand I've seen.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #74
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
I find it funny to hear Nasty calling him a prick though
Pot, kettle, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #75
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Very well said Jenarios. It's hard to really explain why and how Rios was such a marvel to watch, just like it's hard to describe why great music is great music or a great painting is a great work of art. You just had to see the man play at his best, if you did, you knew.

That Fantasias II video really captures his essence well. Rios was a one of kind all time player, his legend lives on today through Federer, Dolgopolov and...who else??? We'll see.