New Marcelo Rios book just came out - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #46
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Marcelo Rios book just came out

The Doc is correct on this issue. Rios was nothing super special. He may have been interesting but overall he was not as good as people think and was very disrespectful to tennis and everyone. Never own a slaw. These are facts. Why are so many people going crazy about the criticism of Rios?

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #47
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post

Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #48
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
The Doc is correct on this issue. Rios was nothing super special. He may have been interesting but overall he was not as good as people think and was very disrespectful to tennis and everyone. Never own a slaw. These are facts. Why are so many people going crazy about the criticism of Rios?
It´s however you choose to look at it. He was a jerk and never won a slam, but that doesn´t mean he wasnt extremely talented and influential. He was. Some of the stuff he did with the ball ( effortlessly, too) was almost ridicilous.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
It´s however you choose to look at it. He was a jerk and never won a slam, but that doesn´t mean he wasnt extremely talented and influential. He was. Some of the stuff he did with the ball ( effortlessly, too) was almost ridicilous.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #50
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Rios was extremely talented and influential, his presence ignited an era of Chilean tennis which made a major impact on the world. Rios certainly inspired Gonzo and Massu who went on to win the first gold medals for Chile in the Olympics. (Roger Federer has also stated on many occasions that Rios was one of his 3 favorite players.) Tennis is now a major sport in Chile where back before Rios nobody cared about it and only a couple of dozen would show up to watch Davis Cup matches. No TV. Every match Rios played for a while there was televised live back to Chile and over 50% of the entire country watched some of his big matches. Last year's Rios exhibition was sold out every night and next week's ATP Senior event in Santiago will also be likely sold out. No ordinary pro player could have that kind of impact, Rios was extraordinary and a very special talent.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #51
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

i am convinced that we are talking to the author. I would suggest Rios himself but he probably put a hole in his monitor after losing an online poker game.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #52
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post

verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #53
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Carreńo View Post
Lol, at first, I read Marcelo Rios just came out.
OMG i so thought the same thing when i first saw the title, i immediately went straight to the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosreigned View Post
Nadalmyhero, this is one of my favorite you tube video of Rios:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwzM7xjiSw
I think im in love with Marcelos, he is a sexy man
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com

Last edited by Naudio Spanlatine : 11-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #54
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #55
country flag Riosreigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post

That's it! The highlight of the overhead made from his butt. In this point you can see how nonchalent was Rios, like he was toying with Agassi. Really miss those European indoor matches on TV, the play really shows well on TV.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #56
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Very true, Rios was a showman, he entertained the fans, a maverick. So what if he was'nt a true gent on court always, that was a sign of the fire in him to win. He was'nt one of the greatest, nobody said he was, but he was a character in a sport full of emotionless robots ! I'd hate to see the folk who say he was too feisty watch a game of hockey or rugby...
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #57
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Rios' two hander cross court was sick, especially the angles he could put on it.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #58
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

Rios not talented this dude had incredible hands and racket work and made it look so easy. Never saw him as a bad guy either, just temperamental and misunderstood.
"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever."
dabeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #59
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post

Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #60
country flag mooncreek

mooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond reputemooncreek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosreigned View Post
Those quotes are indeed very compelling. Has any other player in tennis history ever received such harsh and direct criticism? Usually tennis people are very diplomatic in talking about their peers.
That is probably the only reason I would read the book. When there was a segment of Rios on Best Of Five, it was possibly the most intriguing of that series. For fans to dislike a player is one thing (I'd say I wasn't a fan). To hear the talking heads actively call a player a disgrace (one that doesn't have a criminal reason or a major scandal to his name, anyway) quite another.
mooncreek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote