New Marcelo Rios book just came out - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Marcelo Rios book just came out

There is a new English book out about my favorite player Marcelo Rios, it's titled "Marcelo Rios: The Man We Barely Knew." I just ordered a copy from amazon, it's 346 pages for just $13 bucks. If any of you remember this talented marvel of a player Chino, he was a hard to describe player, so smooth and flowing, so soft handed but talented enough to get to #1 and outsmart the big guns like Goran, Sampras, Becker, Courier, Agassi, Guga, Safin, etc. Rios was also a rebel, who ruffled the feathers of the tennis establishment on many occasions with his hard edged, hard headed attitude. A lot of players and insiders hated Rios but he kept it real and just followed his own drumbeat. I'm greatly looking forward to this book and discussing it with other Rios fans as soon as I finish it.

Here are some of the back cover quotes of the book: Interesting to say the least!

Michael Chang: "Why are you writing a book about Marcelo Rios?"

Ilie Nastase: "He's the worst prick I ever met."

Marat Safin: "He had the talent to win ten Grand Slams."

Roger Federer: "I was a big admirer of Marcelo."

Thomas Johansson: "Rios could make you feel like it was your first time standing on the court."

Mats Wilander: "I thought Rios was a ballkid."

David Mercer: "I don't think he respects many people in the media. I think he regards us as like parasites, living off his skills."

Nick Bollettieri: "He was one out of a million. What he had you can't teach."

Mike Agassi: "In a way he was better than Andre because you could not read Rios' shot."

Michael Joyce: "He was serving down love-40. Triple match point. His first serve was a fault. Then he hits the second serve as hard as he can and it's an ace. I walk back to the service line and then he says, 'Now we win.' I swear to God, then the guy hit like a winner on every ball."

Mike Nakajima: "Marcelo cold-cocked him. We go into the bathroom and the guy is out cold."

Peter Lundgren: "Marcelo said to me, I'm sorry I was like that. I thought you were a great coach."
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Marcelo Rios book just came out

Might get this, is it an autobiography ? If it's half as good as Agassi - Open, then it will be good. Not enough of these players bring out books compared to other sports. I hope Federer brings out a book one day, thats will be some read in the words of the greatest ever tennis player.
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

He was not important enough or good enough, this book will sell less than 100 copies.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta respectfully disagree with you Topspindoctor. Rios was an important player, he was the first South American #1 ranked player and he did it in the eras of Sampras and Agassi. Though Rios was #1 for only six weeks, still it is a phenomenal achievement when you think about it. A small slight Chilean lefty climbs to the top of ATP tennis at the age of 22. Taking down Agassi in three devastating sets in the Lipton final in Miami to clinch the top spot. He inspired a decade of Chilean tennis which saw Nicolas Massu and Fernando Gonzalez win Olympic gold medals in Athens in 2004. Rios opened the door for them. Not only was Rios a super talented player but he also played the game like nobody else did, he had his own style and also even invented a new shot - the jumping two handed backhand. How many great players invented new shots? Sampras and his slam dunk and Segura with his double handers off both wins are the only others. Rios is a legend of tennis, in his own way.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

He was important to South American tennis, not to overall tennis game, which is a world wide sport. Overall, his #1 is pretty empty with zero slams, zero master's cups and olympic medals. He's pretty much Jankovic of ATP

Nadal - GOAT

Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

give it a rest you tedious fuckwit
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
country flag Riosreigned

Rios won five Masters Series titles which is pretty darn good, Kafelnikov won zero Masters Series. The best thing about Rios was not his resume but THE WAY he played the game. He played a different, artistic style, a much more attractive style than many slam winners. Everyone respects the champions but Rios was a different cat, he was his own man. He played a different game than everybody else. He was ahead of his time. For that he deserves credit and recognition.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #8

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
give it a rest you tedious fuckwit
Took the words out of my mouth, the guy spindoc just seems to lurk about these forums looking for threads to come into and belittle anything thats said that does'nt envolve the top players, like a cowardly vulture is the best way to describe him.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosreigned View Post
Rios won five Masters Series titles which is pretty darn good, Kafelnikov won zero Masters Series. The best thing about Rios was not his resume but THE WAY he played the game. He played a different, artistic style, a much more attractive style than many slam winners. Everyone respects the champions but Rios was a different cat, he was his own man. He played a different game than everybody else. He was ahead of his time. For that he deserves credit and recognition.
Rios was a good player, I enjoyed watching him so for that alone the book will be interesting for me, a non south american who is a tennis fan.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
Took the words out of my mouth, the guy spindoc just seems to lurk about these forums looking for threads to come into and belittle anything thats said that does'nt envolve the top players, like a cowardly vulture is the best way to describe him.
Actually, I respect most players, despite sometimes making fun of them, I just don't have respect for overrated, sexist pigs like Rios who was an absolute joke #1 despite his supposed "talent". That clown was a disgrace to tennis and everything it stands for. Truly disgusting character.

Nadal - GOAT

Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
country flag Riosreigned

Rios was an artist and a rebel, he was your quintessential villain, and the man with the black hat is a nice thing to see on the tennis scene which can be overly vanilla most of the time. Rios shook it up, like the bad guy in wrestling, he made it more interesting to watch. Yes, Rios was a prick in many instances and did many despicable actions, to kids, media, officials, other players, etc. But he was an artist on the court. An artist like no other. I'll never forget watching him play a practice set with Arazi at the US Open in around 2001, it was just an exhibition of magic, they were both having fun playing each other and making all kinds of trick shots. That practice set was better than many grand slam finals (Nadal vs. Fed at FO final, Hewitt routing Pete at US Open, etc)!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #12

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

oh noes, a bad rep from the troll
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Actually, I respect most players, despite sometimes making fun of them, I just don't have respect for overrated, sexist pigs like Rios who was an absolute joke #1 despite his supposed "talent". That clown was a disgrace to tennis and everything it stands for. Truly disgusting character.
this should be on the back of the book.

might push sales up to 200 copies
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
country flag DYJBAA

DYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond reputeDYJBAA has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more interested about Andre's father taking a tennis jab at his son
DYJBAA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I love his game and personality. Already has it's place in my collection. A must buy.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote