Do you Serbs regret ideas of Milosovic? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #61
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you Serbs regret ideas of Milosovic?

good night, aloimeh
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #62
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
don't talk bullshit unless you have your facts to back you up.

modern day Albanians are a mix of Illyrians (and maybe other prehistoric Balkan people, such as Dacians or Thracians), Vlachs, Greeks, Slavic people and Turks.
in other words, Albanians are Europeans, not Asians. drill what i said into your brain. is that clear?

actually, many areas in the Balkans have mixed population. blame the Byzantine (East Roman) Empire and the Ottoman Empire. i, for instance, am an Athenian of Greek ancestry, Albanian ancestry (Albanians settled in the Peloponnese in the early 15th century) and distant Slavic ancestry (South Slavs settled in the Peloponnese in the 8th century). and, i consider myself very lucky to be mixed.
This is a product of the grotesque lack of knowledge people have on these issues based on mixing up ethnicity, race, and religion. Many people don't understand the difference between Bosnian Muslims, Albanians, and Turks, which is in many ways quite substantial.

The Illyrian theory is just that, a theory. It comes from the same kitchen of politically-useful theories as the Fallmerayer hypothesis which claims that Greeks are not "really" Greeks (i.e. descended of the ancients) and are more like a Slavic-Turkish mishmash. Which is nonsense, because there is strong diachronic continuity in the Greek people. They even resemble the figures depicted in their art.

The Illyrian theory was propped up by Austrian propagandists to try to cut off Montenegro and Serbia from the Adriatic. Recent linguistic evidence indicates that the Albanians probably originate from considerably further north and east, in present day eastern Serbia or Romania. The influence of Latin - and particularly Balkan Romance (becoming Romanian) rather than western Dalmatian - and the relative lack of Greek influence, strongly suggests that they are not autochthonous to the area of present-day Albania and may have looser connections to the Illyrians than to the Dacians or even Thracians.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)

Last edited by Aloimeh : 11-01-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #63
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
good night, aloimeh
Hmm, my sense is that the tone of this was not altogether friendly. Oh well.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #64
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
Thats the exact thought I had and why I said i was'nt sure, I knew that there could be heavy distortion in the way we are led to believe from the outside, For me I understand how these things go and the false picture that gets painted to people on the outside - Ireland and the way the british would make you believe that they are keeping peace when infact they have simply invaded and colonised (as many nations have seen and been victims of the savagery of their empire)
It takes a while to pick up the pieces and make sense of the region. It's pretty complex, but there are definitely more complex regions (probably Indochina, African Great Lakes and the Caucasus at least). For instance, very few Westerners know that most Bosnian Muslims are descended of medieval Serbs and Croats who converted to Islam. They seem to think they are a medieval ethnic group that originated uniquely from Bosnia, when they are nothing of the sort. And, in this view, Serbs and Croats are somehow "invaders" into Bosnia even though they lived there for centuries before any Muslim (Turkish or otherwise) had set foot into Bosnia. The "Bosnian" Muslims of Serbia have nothing to do with Bosnia and their ancestors before the arrival of the Turks were Serbs.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #65
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloimeh View Post
It takes a while to pick up the pieces and make sense of the region. It's pretty complex, but there are definitely more complex regions (probably Indochina, African Great Lakes and the Caucasus at least). For instance, very few Westerners know that most Bosnian Muslims are descended of medieval Serbs and Croats who converted to Islam. They seem to think they are a medieval ethnic group that originated uniquely from Bosnia, when they are nothing of the sort. And, in this view, Serbs and Croats are somehow "invaders" into Bosnia even though they lived there for centuries before any Muslim (Turkish or otherwise) had set foot into Bosnia. The "Bosnian" Muslims of Serbia have nothing to do with Bosnia and their ancestors before the arrival of the Turks were Serbs.
They actually do though. Their ancestors weren't strictly Catholics or Orthodox converting to Islam, the majority of their ancestors were Bogomils. As far as I know, the last monarch of Bosnia was neither a Catholic or an Orthodox, he was a Bogomil (Tvrtko I). Prijezda I the first ban was born Roman Catholic, but I don't remember any place mentioning that he was an ethnic Croat either.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #66
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

^^Also the first Serbian king who was crowned, got his crown from the Pope, but people here conveniently choose to ignore that Anyway, I think the argument "they were Serbs 700 years ago" is kinda lame. They don't think they are Serbs now, and who cares what someone's grandfather 700 years ago was? Going along that line, Italy could claim the whole Balkan on account they were ruling it before the Slavs and Muslims
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #67
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
They actually do though. Their ancestors weren't strictly Catholics or Orthodox converting to Islam, the majority of their ancestors were Bogomils. As far as I know, the last monarch of Bosnia was neither a Catholic or an Orthodox, he was a Bogomil (Tvrtko I). Prijezda I the first ban was born Roman Catholic, but I don't remember any place mentioning that he was an ethnic Croat either.
Prijezda was born into Catholicism and converted to Bogomilism. Tvrtko I was Orthodox and was crowned in Mileseva monstery in Serbia, which was always Orthodox. Regardless, conversion of religion doesn't change ethnicity. French Cathars and Huguenots were just as French as the Catholics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
^^Also the first Serbian king who was crowned, got his crown from the Pope, but people here conveniently choose to ignore that Anyway, I think the argument "they were Serbs 700 years ago" is kinda lame. They don't think they are Serbs now, and who cares what someone's grandfather 700 years ago was? Going along that line, Italy could claim the whole Balkan on account they were ruling it before the Slavs and Muslims
I agree that it's irrelevant now. They clearly feel themselves to be a different ethnic group, and that's OK. But I think it's important that people know that they are no more native to Bosnia than the Serbs or Croats. And therefore they are no more entitled to it than the Serbs and Croats. All three ethnic groups should have an equal right to live on that land, not as a national minority, but as their common nation state.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #68
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

I agree all three should be entitled to live in that land. The only problem is "Republika Srpska" is kind of no different than the Kosovo situation. It prevents Bosnia from functioning as a normal nation.

I think they should get rid of this entity, and allow the country to be united. Obviously it's too little too late for the original inhabitants to return, but I think if the entity was removed, people of all backgrounds would feel more united.

But as long as this entity continues to exist, it would promote separatism and the Bosnia dilemma would never be resolved.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #69
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
I agree all three should be entitled to live in that land. The only problem is "Republika Srpska" is kind of no different than the Kosovo situation. It prevents Bosnia from functioning as a normal nation.

I think they should get rid of this entity, and allow the country to be united. Obviously it's too little too late for the original inhabitants to return, but I think if the entity was removed, people of all backgrounds would feel more united.

But as long as this entity continues to exist, it would promote separatism and the Bosnia dilemma would never be resolved.
That is incorrect. Republika Srpska is the guarantee to one of the communities that it will not again be the subject of genocide (as in WWII) or apartheid rule (as under the Ottomans) or Islamic machinations as envisioned by Izetbegovic.

The Muslims only recently (the 1960s) became a plurality, but in 1992 they acted as if they were a 80% majority. They are not, nor have they ever been that.

The Croat community deserves a similar entity.

There was a chance to make a unitary Bosnia, but that was lost in 1991 or 1992 when the Muslims decided that they were entitled to a nation state of their own and that Serbs and Croats who were unhappy about that could leave and "go home" (i.e. to Serbia or Croatia). The Muslims made a lot of statements and speeches about how they were going to be multiethnic, etc. but the history speaks otherwise. They engaged in ethnic cleansing just like the other two communities (of about 150,000 Croats and 400,000 Serbs).

Neither the Serbs nor the Croats were happy with Muslim intentions. The Serbs took up arms against the Muslims immediately. The Croats waited a year (they needed the Muslim vote to rip away from Yugoslavia), and then basically did the same as the Serbs in 1993.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #70
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That would do the trick. But do you know what would be even better?
If muslims would **** off to Turkey or Iran, Bosnia would be a fully functioning state, peace and harmony would abound.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #71
country flag shiaben

History doesn't show that though. It shows Croatia and Serbia invading Bosnia to take it over completely. Not just after 1991 but even back during the days of monarchs (Hungary and Byzantine even fought for these lands and people).

The ethnic cleansing in Bosnia did not come before the wars. I believe they were a result of invasions on Bosnia which forced all 3 ethnic groups to scatter. Otherwise today there would be hundreds of thousands of Serbs remaining in Croatia, an additional hundreds of thousands of Serbs and Croatians remaining in Bosnia, and hundreds of thousands of Muslims remaining in Serbia.

There doesn't seem to be suggestive evidence that prior to 1991 that the 55-60% Bosnian population wanted to boot out the 40-45% total population of Croats and Serbs. This would be very suicidal and they would have never attempted such a thing.

Remember, there were considerable amounts of Orthodox Bosnians/Bosnian Serbs, and other none Bosniak minorities that fought against the Serbian invasion. You can read about them in news articles and documentaries.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #72
country flag shiaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
That would do the trick. But do you know what would be even better?
If muslims would **** off to Turkey or Iran, Bosnia would be a fully functioning state, peace and harmony would abound.
The situation would remain the same except Croatia and Serbia would be bigger, and the amount of dead Croats and Serbs would clearly be higher since it would be a two sided civil war like the times where Hungary backed Croatia and the Byzantines backed Serbia.

The thing is you can't deport a group that is indigenous to this region. Bosnians are not Turks. They are Southern Slavs. Just because they have many faiths, does not make them foreigners.

This went off topic but from the looks of it, it seems like Republika Srpska will either remain in the state it is for an indefinite amount of time and Kosovo will remain in its own state or quite possibly become a nation if international politics changes.

Last edited by shiaben : 11-02-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #73
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The situation would remain the same except Croatia and Serbia would be bigger, and the amount of dead Croats and Serbs would clearly be higher since it would be a two sided civil war like the times where Hungary backed Croatia and the Byzantines backed Serbia.

The thing is you can't deport a group that is indigenous to this region. Bosnians are not Turks. They are Southern Slavs. Just because they have many faiths, does not make them foreigners.
We can certainly try. Contrary to your opinion, there were many huge population transfers in history. Poland-Germany, Tukey-Greece, India-Pakistan...
When it's us or them, I choose us.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #74
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
History doesn't show that though. It shows Croatia and Serbia invading Bosnia to take it over completely. Not just after 1991 but even back during the days of monarchs (Hungary and Byzantine even fought for these lands and people).

The ethnic cleansing in Bosnia did not come before the wars. I believe they were a result of invasions on Bosnia which forced all 3 ethnic groups to scatter. Otherwise today there would be hundreds of thousands of Serbs remaining in Croatia, an additional hundreds of thousands of Serbs and Croatians remaining in Bosnia, and hundreds of thousands of Muslims remaining in Serbia.

There doesn't seem to be suggestive evidence that prior to 1991 that the 55-60% Bosnian population wanted to boot out the 40-45% total population of Croats and Serbs. This would be very suicidal and they would have never attempted such a thing.

Remember, there were considerable amounts of Orthodox Bosnians/Bosnian Serbs, and other none Bosniak minorities that fought against the Serbian invasion. You can read about them in news articles and documentaries.
It actually does show that to be the case. Serbs were the majority of the population on approximately 2/3 of Bosnia's territory. That's because they were agricultural pastoralists or farmers while Muslims had privileges to live in cities as landlords or artisans. Croats were somewhere in between in terms of their urbanization. So that fact that the Serbs held 70% of Bosnia at one point doesn't imply that they conquered most of that territory from people who were previously the majority on it (some they did, most they did not).

The ethnic cleansing was a spontaneous result and strategy of a conflict where nobody could trust their own neighbor. To preemptively prevent them from waging guerrila war, they expelled most and killed some.

The ethnic cleansing by Serbs and Croats was more *visible* than by Muslims because they did it over larger tracts of territory (e.g. villages or towns that were mixed or heavily Muslim surrounded by predominantly Serb or Croat villages). Muslims engaged in silent ethnic cleansing of towns and cities, whereby 15% or 20% (or 40% in the odd case) of Croats or Serbs or both were simply driven to flee due to the reign of terror Muslim warlords conducted from within.

Serbia hasn't expelled Muslims - as a state policy - since the 1800s. In the 1990s there were no expulsions of Muslims out of Serbia. There were two incidents of massacre perpetrated by a Bosnian Serb warlord against Serbian Muslims (Sjeverin and Strpci), and in one case he invaded Serbia and seized passengers off a bus and in the other he attacked a train going between Belgrade and Montenegro (passing through Bosnia) and took off more passengers.

Bosnian Muslims were never 55% or 60%. It's the Bosnian Christians who are 55-60% (together). The Muslims are 45-50%. They are not a majority. Which makes their attempt to hijack control over all of Bosnia the more insane and unfeasible.

There were a few Serbs in Sarajevo primarily who fought for the Muslims. Most did not. There were also Muslims who fought with Serbs (e.g. Fikret Abdic was allied with them). It proves nothing. The vast majority of each community was engaged in war with the other community.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #75
country flag vucina

Just to clarify something. Serbs would be perfectly happy if left alone, to have this autonomy. But it's the Muslims who are not satisfied and want all of it for themselves. We simply won't accept to be democratically voted out of existence by a muslim majority.