Manuel Neuer-Best Goalkeeper in the World? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Manuel Neuer the best goalkeeper in the world right now?

Yes 11 68.75%
No 5 31.25%
He is tied with...(provide option) 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
country flag Alcibiades

Alcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manuel Neuer-Best Goalkeeper in the World?

I am posting to see whether guys here agree that the German national squad's goalkeeper is the best in the world at the moment, as many pundits and experts claim. I often hear and read the phrase "perhaps the best goalkeeper of today/in the world" from sport comentators and newspapers.

I must say, I think I agree with them, myself. Goalkeepers are definitely heroes of this World Cup (especially in the elimination rounds). So many of them distinguished themselves, and raised their market prices many times over (Guillermo Ochoa, anyone?!), but I think Neuer is just a level above all others at the moment, both those already well established and world-class players (Cech, Bufon, Casillas, Howard, Courtois etc.) and those who will become the new stars thanks to their performance on this WC. You just feel a difference watching him play, and watching all others, IMO. There is an amazing aura of self-assuredness and confidence around him, which gives you the feeling that the chances of him having a poor game are smaller than any other goalkeeper around at the moment.

Also, what distinguishes him from other top goalkeepers is his constant high performance. It seems his concetration is at its absolute maximum every minute of the match.

So, what do you think? Who is the best goalkeeper in the world right now, in your opinion? Is it Neuer or someone else?

PS: I am not bandwagoning due to an amazing (really, already legendary) win of Germany over Brazil from a week ago. I am well aware that that unbelivable win had very little to do with Manuel Neuer and his goalkeeping abilitites. I have been thinking about this question ever since last year, when Bayern Munich won the Champions League.

Krajinovic - Dodig - Dolgopolov - Baghdatis - Raonic - Fish - Soderling - Ferrero

Novak Djokovic
4 AO; 2 Wimbledon; 1 USO; 19 MS; 3 WTF; 45 Career titles; Olympic Bronze Medalist; Davis Cup 2010; YE #1 2011,2012
Alcibiades is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manuel Neuer-Best Goalkeeper in the World?

http://famousface.us/wp-content/gall...Howard-(4).jpg

http://purelyfootball.com/wp-content...mo-ochoa-7.jpg

As a former keeper myself, you are only as good as your defense helps you to be
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he is easily the best GK and can be top 5 all time great when it's all said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
country flag Gliese581

Gliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond repute

currently, yeah he's the best. i still see glimpses of the old buffon but he's not consistant enough anymore to say that

i'd say neuer and buffon are both top 5 all time, no doubt
Gliese581 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
country flag Alcibiades

Alcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
http://famousface.us/wp-content/gall...Howard-(4).jpg

http://purelyfootball.com/wp-content...mo-ochoa-7.jpg

As a former keeper myself, you are only as good as your defense helps you to be
That is undoubtedly true, but does that mean we should discount the abilitites and performances of all goallies as merely a reflection of the team they play in?

Krajinovic - Dodig - Dolgopolov - Baghdatis - Raonic - Fish - Soderling - Ferrero

Novak Djokovic
4 AO; 2 Wimbledon; 1 USO; 19 MS; 3 WTF; 45 Career titles; Olympic Bronze Medalist; Davis Cup 2010; YE #1 2011,2012
Alcibiades is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes he is.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
country flag wfrw07

wfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering his team would have lost to Algeria without him, yeah he is the best by some margin.

Germany doesn't win this WC with any other keeper in the world.
FITD (#1/#3)
2012: Cincinnati
2013: Zagreb, Shanghai
2014: Eastbourne, Wimbledon, Atlanta, Gstaad
wfrw07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
country flag Doktor Carpet

Doktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond repute

No, he's pretty good, but Thibaut Courtois is even better.
Doktor Carpet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

He's been number one for a couple of years now - I'm not sure why all the additional hype is only just coming in. Him and Courtois are probably the top two, Neuer works well in that Germany set-up because they play a high line and he's quick to sweep up. By the same token, Valdes is excellent with the ball at his feet so was perfect for Barcelona.

The best goalkeeper I've seen live in the last couple of years was David de Gea - he's a fantastic shot stopper, though it must be said he didn't have to face many crosses which is where he's been exposed a few times due to his lack of height.
I always speak the truth though, and when I say it's not because of you, it's because it's not. I never lie. My mom has taught me to never lie because it's bad, that's why I'm always honest. one needs to have integrity, that's the most important human virtue imo.
underspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

First saw him at the last World Cup against England, thought he looked quite nervous at times, even when he made saves against England in that first half he didn't look 100% convincing. Seeing him play for Schalke against Man United less than a year later, he looked a lot more assured and commanding.

It's not just his shot-stopping or his command of the area that's his best asset, it's his anticipation and positioning which makes him one of the best goalkeepers in the world, for a goalkeeper he reads the game and his opponents better than most, in one-on-one situations there might not be a better keeper.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Courtois is slightly better I think if we go by recent form, but it's pretty close.

At their peak Buffon is clearly above the rest considering active keepers.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #12
country flag PileDrive

PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute

Sure he is….Although still has a long way toward Top 2 all time; that would be in my opinion Buffon or Khan.. Both at their peaks were indomitable lions: Kahn almost single-handedly carried an average Germany to WC’02 Final; his only blemish, albeit costly, was his gifted rebound leading to Ronaldo’s goal…Buffon was instrumental during WC’06 but is yet to have his signature Champions League moment (never won a CL), which Khan was decisive in Bayern win vs. Valencia in 2001….I would say Buffon gets my nod slightly because of his longevity at the top..

Overall, Neuer is continuing in German tradition of producing elite GKs (only Italy comes near): Meier, Schumacher, Illgner, Kopke, Kahn, Lehman
Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
country flag robbery47

robbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond repute

Neuer is the best gk for 2 years now. No doubt. Even better than legends like Kahn, Van der Saar or Maier ever been. The way Neuer is reading the game and playing as the 11 field player comes to a revolution. He is changing the way gk performing. In future it won't be enough to be strong "at the line". new gk-generation will copy Neuer.

Courtois is also huge and in my opinion the second best gk. A great champion and still so young. sooner or later he will be the best.

The likes of Czech, Casillas and Buffon surely in decline. Especially Casillas and Buffon are really weak in these days. Buffon with very slow motions and Casillas can't controll his gk-area. Clowning around even worse than in past. Both shouldn't have start for their countries. They only played due to their name. We did the same mistake with Lehmann at Euro 2008.

I know americans love Tim Howard. But please don't you ever consider him as Top 10 in world. He is good, that's it. There is a reason, why never made it at any european topclub
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
country flag Rychu
Thumps Chest Repeatedly

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

He is better than most right now, but there is absolutely no reason to create any rankings of top goalkeepers based their skills because they vary little to be frank. As Johnny rightly stated, most of the time they are as good as the defense(and opponents offense) helps them to be.

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic
Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
country flag robbery47

robbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychu View Post
He is better than most right now, but there is absolutely no reason to create any rankings of top goalkeepers based their skills because they vary little to be frank. As Johnny rightly stated, most of the time they are as good as the defense(and opponents offense) helps them to be.
But these little differences can make the difference between winning and loosing.
I say Neuer would have saved that Götze goal against Romero. Romero moving to the right corner the moment before Götze is shooting. So he opens up the left/middle, where Mario puts it in. Neuer normally is waiting very long and could have saved that
And I also say, that Neuer put Palacio directly under pressure, so he wasted that chance away.