Discriminatory Remarks - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Discriminatory Remarks

I am adapting this message & posting it here on advice, in response to The Magician's ban.

I for one do NOT agree that "discriminatory remarks", which is after all a political concept, should be ban-worthy. For a start, "discrimination" in the true sense of the word is a good thing. In modern p.c.-bullshit pseudothought, & in the practice of the moderators on MTF, bad discrimination seems to boil down to anything anybody finds "offensive", regardless of whether it is TRUE. My one infraction was for a supposedly "discriminatory" observation that had in fact been made to me by a member of the national group in question. The moderators basically treat anybody who isn't politically correct in the same way "heretics" might have been treated in centuries gone by.

Of course, these comments could be wide of the mark in the particular case of The Magician, but if the moderators won't tell us exactly what he said to get banned, we don't know. If for example he said the Jews had the Holocaust coming, then okay, his ban is fair enough - personally I wouldn't ban anybody for expressing any political opinion, however poisonous, but that such an opinion is poisonous (as well as false) I think all reasonable people would agree, & it's not unreasonable to have a rule against poisonous opinions, even if I personally wouldn't. But that is an extreme example & I can't help suspecting whatever The Magician said fell far short of it.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discriminatory Remarks

I'll be interested to see some other opinions on this because we get an awful lot of reports that suggest that other people don't agree with that analysis and think that if anything we let people get away with too much.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I'll be interested to see some other opinions on this because we get an awful lot of reports that suggest that other people don't agree with that analysis and think that if anything we let people get away with too much.
We all suspect Noletards have double accounts...
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like the posters arguments then break them down , without the need to have a go at their ethnic, gender or religious background or sexual preference. That's just commonsense, and don't even try to accuse me of being PC.

You want PC Sopho this is for you.

A follicularly and vertically challenged individual became a long term guest of the correctional services for crimes against his unwilling sexual partner.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 10-26-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

I've just posted this in another thread:

"I don't have time to do this characteristically well expressed posting justice, but I would just point out that a "poisonous atmosphere", which I don't want either, can be just as well created by those determined to take offence as by those who give it. I'm not denying the moderators are applying the rules - I'm questioning the rules. Rules against making any generalized adverse observations about any group of people are wrong, precisely because such observations are sometimes true, and allowing such observations (subject to sensible caveats about insulting language & so on) is less likely to lead to a poisonous atmosphere than placing over-sensitive people above criticism, as nothing is more frustrating than suppression of the truth. But I should have included my proposal for a generalized rule against flaming in this posting, just to make it clear I was not advocating some kind of insult-slinging free-for-all. As for the heretics thing, again I was unclear - I wasn't thinking of burnings at the stakes but the sort of treatment David Hume & Edward Gibbon, say, had in the 18th Century. I also would urge you NOT to underestimate the totalitarian potential of political correctness; numerous academics & politicians have had their careers ruined by the p.c. thought police, as I am sure on reflection you would recognize. I'll have to say something more considered at another time."

I'm very short of time, but just to make it as clear as I can - I am NOT suggesting we allow postings that advocate mass murder of ethnic or other groups (which should include, by the way, bankers, much as I hate them, aristocrats, estate agents, or any other group), but this is covered under the "wishing death" rule. Nor am I suggesting we allow postings that use language widely considered to be insulting - but again, this is surely covered by any rule against insulting language, which would cover the c-word as well as the n-word. Nor am I saying we should allow postings deliberately intended to piss people off or, as the jargon has it, to "flame". I'm just saying the category of "discriminatory remarks" is a) unnecessary, as genuinely egregious instances are covered already by other rules, & b) inimical to intelligent discussion of numerous subjects, as soon as some damn fool decides to be "offended".
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
country flag Sophocles

Now it appears that ExcaliburII has been banned merely for describing homosexuality as "unnatural". What is the justification for this outrageous decision?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
country flag Chair Umpire

Chair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, moderators should be more understanding with the fact of homophobia being socially accepted in certain undeveloped countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Edberg must be spinning in his grave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
As usual Mjau! is right on the money. Her analysis is flawless. It is unfortunate not everyone is as brilliant as her.
Butthurtism in Tennis Thread (demonstration inside).
Chair Umpire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Now it appears that ExcaliburII has been banned merely for describing homosexuality as "unnatural". What is the justification for this outrageous decision?
Appearances are deceptive, then, because that is not why he was banned at all. Still, heaven forfend that people should attempt to verify the facts before reacting like a typical reader of the Daily Mail.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote