Articles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
country flag HybridTheory

HybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Articles

Hello

We already have a picture thread, I thought it would be nice also to have a thread where we can post nice articles or interviews about Alex
I hope you guys like this idea!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #2

HybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles

ok there are many articles of course but I think this is 1 of my favourites

__________________________________________________ _______
Corretja milks Gstaad appearance

GSTAAD, Switzerland (AFP) - After milking a cow for the first time in his life, defending champion Alex Corretja put his motor skills to a more familiar use on Thursday with a win into the quarterfinals of the Swiss Open.

A day earlier, the amiable Spanish fourth seed and defending champion submitted happily to a public relations opportunity high up in the Alps which surround this village, getting up close and personal with a photogenic cow named Julie.

The television pictures were flashed around the world, prompting the Spaniard's friends to bombard him with giggling, sometimes risque - text messages on his mobile.

"It was a very different experience - and one I probably don't expect to repeat," said Corretja, who reached the last eight of a tournament he's won twice as he stopped Austrian qualifier Werner Eschauer 6-3, 6-2 on the sunny clay.

Czech Jiri Novak scored another early second-round victory, eliminating former champion Felix Mantilla of Spain by an identical 6-3, 6-2 scoreline.

Corretja couldn't chat enough about his farmhand experience. In addition to getting the milking chore done - "I didn't actually get much milk out, the cow must have had a rough night" - he toured a traditional cheese-making operation at a family farm which overlooks this postcard-perfect village, smallest venue on the ATP circuit.

"I didn't realize how difficult it was to make cheese," said the city boy from Barcelona. "For some of them, you need two years (of maturation)."

Corretja admitted that it's not every week that tennis comes to a place as special as Gstaad.

"I like to come back here," said the 1998 and 2000 champion. "It's convenient for the players and there are great amenities - great hotel, great room, great food."

Corretja said possibly due to his heavy hand on the what he called "an unfamiliar teat," Julia the cow did give him a typically bovine slap across the face with her tail.

"I didn't want to kiss her on camera," he added.

When drawn reluctantly back to the "real world" of tennis, the Spaniard had few complaints about his performance on the day.

__________________________________________________ _______
Old 10-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #3

ÀLEX CORRETJA, His hand is not that of a señorito. In every crease of his palm the sacrifice of many hours clutching a racquet is sensed. It's the hand of a champion of the world.

Just four days to relax and take breath. There's been no more. Àlex Corretja couldn't rest longer. A flight to Andorra with his girlfriend, Marta, has been the way to celebrate his success at the World Tennis Championship that took place at the end of November in Hannover. Since that November 29th, 1998 in which he lifted the glass cup which credited him as the new tennis master, his life has turned in a way even he couldn't have imagined.

"It's been crazy". Interviews, reports, homages, prizes have acummulated in his father Luis' agenda. Everybody wanted to be with the champion, shared his success, celebrate. Since that triumph, days don't seem to have 24 hours. Until that moment, Àlex had never said no. Since then, he has had to say it more than he would have liked. "I haven't enlarge by success. I'm still the same and I don't want my life to change in any way. But I can't stay in every place. It's impossible", admits Àlex, though he was prepared to stand what comes to him. He hasn't lost his smile, his kindness, his liking, but admits that he has felt overwhelmed by events. When he arrived from Hannover, he spend a week trying to fulfill everybody, but he came up short. After coming back from his short holidays, his phone messages was saturated with new petitions. "The boy is like crazy going from one place to another, if everything goes this way one more day, I believe he's going to dismiss his father as manager", jokes his mother, Luisa.

Àlex dreamt of journalists, and in his right cheek has appeared an eruption of pimples the dermatologist said are because of stress. "The dwarf", as is affectionately called by his two elder brothers, Iván and Sergio, has become a complete tennis player. At 24 years he's the champion he dreamt when he was a little child. When 7 years old, Pedro Mora accepted him in the Club de Tenis La Salut school. "He was very small and I couldn't imagine that I would be at his side celebrating a success like that, but from the very first day I liked his attitude in court. He was smart, you didn't have to tell him things twice and had a great concentration capacity", remembers his first trainer and also the discoverer of another exceptional talent as Manuel Orantes, for whom Alex has devotion to from an early age and whom he has followed for 22 years at the top of the Masters. Corretja achieved his graduation cum laude before some opponents who went to the final exam with better marks. He gave a magistral lesson on the court and became deserving of a title that, only before him, John McEnroe had been able to win in the same year of his debut. Àlex performed first against Andre Agassi, the irreverent guy from Las Vegas that returned to the elite after a poor year in which he descended to the number ? in the rankings. Alex broke him. The ex-number 1 and 1990 champion of the Masters couldn't stand the catalonian rythym and retired before finishing a match he would never had won. "That victory made me open my eyes and I believed I could do something big", he remembers. Victory calmed his anxiety. "Today it's easy talking about that, but I went to Hannover ready for everything. During the season I've showed that I could win and play well in surfaces other than clay. I did win on hardcourt(Dubai and Indianapolis) and a couple of weeks before, indoor (Lyon)", he presses. The second test was to be as complicated as decisive. He surpassed the round robin, Corretja got to the semis against the last winner, north american Pete Sampras, who, 24 hours before, pursued a historic record by winning enough points to be, for the sixth consecutive year, number one of the world. The north american was playing in Hannover "the best tennis of my life", as he proudly proclaimed. He felt safe, strong and invincible to crown his success with his fifth title in the world championship. But Sampras didn't count on the fact that he would face his worst rival on the other side of the net. A guy who put him on a plight two years earlier in the US Open quarter finals and was ready to face him in an epic duel in what was to become the best match of the season. Four hours and a minute of intense play, spectacular and fantastic, which resolved on Corretja's favor after saving three match balls. "I feel I was living the most important moment of my career, though I avoided a celebration", he remembers.

The third and last test ended as the best prize of his life. Corretja played the title with Carlos Moyà. Seven months earlier, the mallorquin snatched away the Roland Garros title, almost without struggle. In that final Alex was more pending of celebrating the success of his friend than looking for a victory. In Hannover was different. This time he wasn't inclined to surrender so easily. He didn't like to relive the sensation he had days after that defeat in Paris. Moyà did it difficult. "In a court I don't even let my father win", the mallorquin had announced and seemed on his way to fulfill it when he controlled the match with two sets on his side and an advantage of 3-1 in the third. But Corretja stood stoic for his chance. And when he got it he didn't let go. "Winning the Masters was like touching heaven with the hands. something unique, incredible and wonderful", he explains. His success, perhaps unexpected, had the epic of great moments. That unique instant with which life presents to those who have the conviction and faith to fight for a dream. Corretja could have lost that dream called desire. His entering in the professional circuit hadn't the spectacularity as those of other companions. His progression was slow and discreet, when compared with his successes at lower categories. He conquered the first title at Buenos Aires in 1994, but didn't win another tournament until 1997, at Estoril. "At 21 years he looked like a player that had stopped his progression, that had reach his best, but he has surprised everybody. Alex has exploded and shown also that he has a great talent", highlighted Carlos Costa. "His best quality is his mental strength and the conviction he has in his possibilities", notes Tomás Carbonell. "He's done something great and has showed that working hard you could dream of everything", admits Félix Mantilla. "Alex's been looking for a triumph like this all of his life and he has work a lot to achieve it, he deserves it", recognize Albert Costa. "He's the spanish player that has developed more in this two years, and because his sacrifice capacity he'll be number one", assures Jordi Arrese. Adding to Corretja's fellows opinions, some years ago they christened him lovingly with the nickname Forrest Gump because he would run all the day as the character in the film starred by Tom Hanks.

Corretja has believed in himself and known how to be surrounded by a good work team. He's always added instead of subtracted. The secret of his success, if there's any, is this. Unconsciously or not, in every experience, good or bad, he's found the advice to exceed situations and being better. His list of gratefulness is endless and Alex refuses to give names not to wound susceptibilities. "I've been lucky so as to be always surrounded with people who loves me and believe in me", explains. But in this long journey his family has been the girder. "They're the most important thing for me. They make me feel OK, happy", recognize. Beside them, his girlfriend, Marta Cors, has become the perfect companion. Since 15 years, when they met, Alex hasn't got eyes for any other girl: "She bear my craziness and has always support me in my career and is the person I love and with which I want to have children some day". Marta is happy seeing his success. "He deserves something like that. A triumph that compensates all his work. I'm happy for him because I know the sacrifice he's made", explains the youth, who didn't forget the hard moments Alex has had to pass, among them that defeat in Flushing Meadow against Sampras. "That day was awful, he had never exit a court like that. Alex stayed crying all night and I didn't know how to console him. It was horrible. That's why I give so a special value to what happened in Hannover", remembers Marta. At court, the circle of people who allowed him reached his dreams have names. Doctor Ángel Ruiz Cotorro, from Spanish Tennis Federation, has help him stablish a specific food program. Alberto Berasategui has been the inseparable friend with whom he's shared his dream of being a tennis player since he was 14. The person to him he has confided dreams and frustrations. "An exceptional guy with which is difficult not to get along". Salvador Sosa allowed him to make fit this machine called body that now frightens in the circuit and seem indefatigable and indestructible. the man who knew how to reconvert his physical capabilities to play confortable. "He's my physical trainer, but his collaboration hasn't limited to that. His giving has been total since the day he joined the team", highlighted Alex. And, Dudu, Javier Duarte, his coach. The one who possibly knows him better and has been at his side on court since 14. Someone for whom Corretja and Berasategui will give an arm if needed. "Dudú, you think you've formed two masters, but we've known from a time that the only master is you", they engraved in a silver box they gave him in a surprise party Duarte set up for his two players, to celebrate that they both had reached the Roland Garros final and the Masters. Beside them, Corretja dreams of reaching new challenges though without obsessioning. "My wish is to be everyday a little bit better as a player. To win the Australian Open or be number one is something that doesn't seem impossible to me now but if I didn't do it, I'll be happy all the same".

CHAMPION MANIAS -- He doesn't stand liars Alex is not superstitious, though he has some manias. When he plays he always avoid treading the lines while crossing the court. In his right sock he keeps the aplicator used by tennis players to put in string locks, it calms him and he says it brings luck to him since he reach the Hamburg final in 1996. In tournament days he sleeps for 12 hours. He likes listening to music and travels with 40 CD. He likes paella (rice with saffron and greens and meat and wathever you like), pasta nad seafood. He doesn't like green salads, but eats them on a diet needing basis. Every three months he uses six raquets. He hates lies, and gets ruffle with people that cheat him. He can talk with his friends for hours. He never leaves money on the bed 'cause he says it brings bad luck. The last book he read was "The alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. He's a popcorn devourer and passionate about the cinema.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #4

Roland Garros - the AMAZING match again Arnaud Clemet...when we all experienced what a heart attack is like!!

A. CORRETJA/A. Clement 6-1, 6-2, 4-6, 5-7, 8-6

Q. How do you feel?
ALEX CORRETJA: How do I feel? I feel happy. I feel proud. But I feel so tired.

Q. What was the best bit about the match, apart from the end?
ALEX CORRETJA: Well, the end is the most important thing. That's the only reason that we play: to win the last point. Unfortunately, I came in trouble - still I don't know why - in the third set and in the fourth. But somehow I came through in the fifth, and that's the most important thing.

Q. Did you think at any point that you wouldn't win?
ALEX CORRETJA: Well, of course. When I saw he was going to volley one meter from the net, I thought it was over, of course. But, you know, I think it was like kind of a miracle because it wasn't normal that he couldn't put away that volley.

Q. Do you feel lucky?
ALEX CORRETJA: I don't feel lucky. I feel like I believed in myself till the end. And, of course, you need some luck sometimes. Today probably I was not too smart to go to the fifth set. And then maybe at some stage I believe in myself till the end, and that's why I won.

Q. How about playing against the crowd, as well. It was an extremely big part of the match. I was up in the press box. It seemed to me that the press center closed down while this match was on. Seemed to be an awful lot of interest in the match. Obviously, just looking, the whole crowd was there cheering every point. How do you feel when you're down there trying to win the match?
ALEX CORRETJA: The crowd, I think, is getting involved probably in the third set or something when they saw Arnaud start to play better. I think in the fifth, they were pretty good for both players. Of course, they went more with Arnaud. But I think they were nice. They were better than last year in the final, and I play against a French guy. So I think it was good atmosphere. At the end they were pretty nice with me, too. I feel good with them.

MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish, please.

Q. What do you think happened to you this time around?
ALEX CORRETJA: Well, things don't really happen just because they do. It isn't something that comes just from one day to the next or one week to the next or one month to the next. In all the tournaments you want to play well, it's good to come out ahead. But at times your doubts continue to bother you. And even at some point when I was winning, 6-2, I didn't really feel well. I felt that my game was not really what it should have been. When I had played in different courts, as I have done in the past couple days, well, it's a different ballgame when you come to the main court. There's a strange sensation to all this. I think what happened here is that he didn't play well the first two sets. Perhaps I would have taken advantage of this and carried the game in three sets. But instead of feeling happy, I was trying to challenge myself by saying, "You've won two sets. To win today in three sets, there's practically no change."I practically felt there had been nothing to win against. I wasn't really playing well in the beginning. And then at the end, you have all kinds of different shots. When you come out ahead in a game such as this, you feel happy - happy to have won, but I should never have come to this situation. The first thing is to have been able to come out on top, because if I had lost, I would really wonder what was wrong with me, given the type of match this was.

Q. 5-4, you were serving. You could have won at that point in four sets. Then you had to go into a fifth set. You had to fight all the way through.
ALEX CORRETJA: Yes, this is really striking. The third set I should not have lost because he was really up to the game. I allowed him to come back to the game. During the fourth set, I had a break. When I was 5-4, the first serve was called as a double-fault. The next shot I played well. Then I had a serve that they called out. I thought it was in. So these were all small things. But these small things count in a day such as this. I don't really know what this is all about. This is not something that comes from one day to the next. Being able to win, well, this is really a miracle. Given the way the fifth set went, if you tell me that somebody was able to win that last set with the kind of volleying that the opponent had, I wouldn't believe it. I would think this was utterly impossible. Of course, some luck had to come my way. The thing is that in other matches, even if I feel nervous, I don't feel as uncomfortable as I felt today - perhaps not as much as my opponent. As much as I can play with mistakes, at the end I came out on top, I was able to win.

Q. Do you believe in miracles?
ALEX CORRETJA: Yes, you have to believe in whatever you believe in - whether it helps you or not, I don't know (smiling).

Q. Last year, you played Mariano Zabaleta. You're going to face him the next time around. This was a very hard fight last time. You reached the semifinals.
ALEX CORRETJA: Well, everybody is having a hard time. If you look at things clearly, you see the results for Sanguinetti, you didn't expect this. Safin played -- had to play five sets. Everybody has had to go beyond their endurance. This is really wild, utterly wild. If you're up in the clouds and you want to reach paradise, well, that's difficult to achieve. But what can you say? I was relaxed. I was feeling well. I was having easy games so far. But then I'll have to take it in stride. But if I have a few matches like this one, I will truly die. I was watching Moya play. I was saying to myself, if you ask me who my favorite is, I thought Moya was playing beautifully. He has such strength. Then suddenly I ask, "Who won?" They say, "Canas." I didn't expect this. So everything is difficult. Ask France about the football results, but that's the way it is. Life has become a jungle. One doesn't really understand. Whoever doesn't fight, you can't expect anything to come without fighting very hard for it.

Q. When you speak about your doubts in being able to finish the game, what are you referring to?
ALEX CORRETJA: The fact that I didn't play too many matches during recent months; the fact that I didn't have enough experience this year. If you come with 15 or 20 matches in the year and not more, and separate the ones from the other, this is the first time I won three sets in the same match.

Q. Is your game weak somewhere along the line? Did you notice this in some part of your game?ALEX CORRETJA: No, no. I think I'm hitting my shots as I should. My serve is all right. But apparently the results are not always that telling. So it's not that I doubt myself when I'm out there. It's just that you have certain doubts when you've had a season such as the one I've had this year.

Q. The fact that you are not used to this type of match and these statistics, does one have time to feel afraid about the consequences and about what it means from a psychological point of view for the rest of the season, the fact that your ranking would go down? Does this go through your head when you're out there playing?
ALEX CORRETJA: No. A lower ranking, this doesn't really worry me. I can't really tell myself any lies about this. The ranking is what it should be. But ask Clement how he's going to face the fact that he lost this match. There was one match that you saw in Barcelona that really left a bad sensation with me. I had a hard time recovering from it. This was another match of this nature that if I would have lost and had to recover from, it would have been very difficult. Luckily, I won. But from this point on, whether I lose or win in this tournament, in any case I think that I will have to, with the people that surround me, think of what we want to get from this season. The thing is that I can't continue to play as I've done in recent matches - almost as if I didn't care.

Q. Now you face Zabaleta.
ALEX CORRETJA: Yes, this is going to be a very hard match, no doubt. He knows how I play. I know how he plays. It's not going to be easy. In the final rounds, my results may help. But, of course, if he dominates the match, I won't be able to do anything in the game. I need to have an aggressive game. I have to believe in myself till the end because anything can happen.

Q. After this last match in the "the jungle," how does clay seem to you?
ALEX CORRETJA: Well, I have the taste of clay in my mouth. I told myself, "This is an awful taste." What I wanted was to kiss the clay court. Since I didn't kiss anybody, the best thing I could do was to kiss the court (smiling). If I could have reached God, I would have kissed God himself.
(from the Roland Garros website 2002)

Last edited by HybridTheory : 10-14-2004 at 05:53 PM.
HybridTheory is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Esportistes d'èlit comparteixen escenari amb El Tricicle al Palau Sant Jordi

El Tricicle i el diari Sport celebren plegats al Palau Sant Jordi el 25è aniversari amb l'espectacle 25+25, una nit irrepetible. Es tracta d'una adaptació del llegendari muntatge Slastic, i hi intervindran grans figures de l'esport com ara Gemma Mengual, Sergi Bruguera, Àlex Corretja, Jordi Villacampa, María Vasco, Martin Fiz i Ronaldinho, entre altres. Els esportistes actuaran amb els tres membres del Tricicle, Paco Mir, Joan Gràcia i Carles Sans, en els gags de l'espectacle, que estaran separats per monòlegs de personatges populars com per exemple Manel Fuentes, Pepe Rubianes, Santiago Segura, Mercedes Milá i Millán Salcedo.

http://www.bcn.es

ENGLISH VERSION: Top athletes share the stage with El Tricicle at Palau Sant Jordi

El Tricicle and the daily Sport celebrate together their 25th anniversary at Palau Sant Jordi with the show 25+25, an evening not to be missed. The show is an adaptation of the legendary production Slastic, and features top sports personalities such as Gemma Mengual, Sergi Bruguera, Àlex Corretja, Jordi Villacampa, María Vasco, Martin Fiz and Ronaldinho. The athletes will be joining in skits with the members of El Tricicle, Paco Mir, Joan Gràcia and Carles Sans. The show also includes monologues by such celebrities as Manel Fuentes, Pepe Rubianes, Santiago Segura, Mercedes Milá and Millán Salcedo.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this by accident...it seems to be from a few years ago because he was only 28 in this article.

Alex Corretja: Garra joven

http://www.reaj.com/Albergues1/BlN1.pdf

"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

In ¡Hola!, 9 June 2005, there's a small article with a sweet picture of Alex, Marta and kids. I guess they are coming out of the hospital where little Carla was born 3 weeks ago.
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
country flag RogiFan88

Alex Corretja, un ‘apasionado’ de la cosmética
El tenista es la nueva imagen de una línea de productos de cuidado masculino

"Es importante empezar a cuidarse lo antes posible", explica el tenista.

Corretja no duda en usar cremas específicas para hombre.

Es la mejor muestra de que el mito de que las cremas son sólo para las mujeres está muy anticuado. A Alex Corretja le preocupa su imagen y sabe que tiene que cuidarse. A sus 29 años, pero pone todo su esmero en que cada cumpleaños no deje demasiada huella en forma de arrugas en su cutis. Coqueto como el que más, no es extraño que haya sido elegido para convertirse en imagen de la gama de productos masculinos de la firma Biotherm en España.

“La verdad es que empecé a preocuparme por mi imagen ya hace unos cuantos años. Por mi profesión estoy obligado a pasar gran parte del tiempo al aire libre y está claro que eso deja huella en la piel y por eso empecé a usar cremas”, explica el tenista español, que reconoce que comenzó probando con una crema hidratante. Y si las famosas nos desvelan algunos de sus secretos de belleza, él no duda en confesarnos también sus trucos: “Todos los días me limpio bien la cara y, después de afeitarme, me echo mi crema y mi contorno de ojos. La verdad es que se tarda cinco minutos y, sin embargo, la diferencia se nota”.

Además, Alex es un firme partidario de la cosmética masculina y recalcó que no es necesario que los hombres “roben” del neceser de sus mujeres su crema antiarrugas, pues existen productos adaptados especialmente a la piel del hombre.

Corretja, que también fue imagen de algunos productos de L’Oréal y de una firma de gafas, sabe que existen muchos prejuicios en lo referente al cuidado masculino, pero él lo tiene claro: “Creo que ya ha llegado el momento de tirar barreras en cuanto a los terrenos que tradicionalmente se han considerado exclusivamente masculinos o femeninos”. Y no sabemos si ha servido de ejemplo, pero parece que algunos compañeros han tomado nota y no han dudado en imitarle. “Hace unos años mis compañeros me miraban un poco raro cuando me veían en los vestuarios, por ejemplo, limpiándome la cara con un producto. Sin embargo, yo sé que ahora muchos de ellos también han empezado a hacerlo”.

Sobre todo, defiende que hay que cuidarse no para guardar una imagen de cara al exterior, sino “para sentirse mejor con uno mismo”.
2004 Hola, S.A.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
country flag RogiFan88

2/24/2006 3:32:50 PM
Tenis.- Alex Corretja y Tomás Carbonell impartirán un curso para aficionados en el complejo La Manga Club
MADRID, 24 (ATB Y AGENCIAS)

Los catalanes Alex Corretja y Tomás Carbonell ejercerán como profesores en un encuentro de tenis organizado por el complejo de ocio y deporte La Manga Club, que tendrá lugar del 3 al 7 de mayo en las instalaciones de Los Belones (Murcia).

Corretja y Carbonell ayudarán a mejorar su técnica a todos los aficionados al tenis que se animen a participar en el encuentro, que se celebrará en un complejo que cuenta con 28 pistas de tierra batida, hierba artificial y pista rápida que en ocasiones han acogido prestigiosos campeonatos internacionales, como la Copa Davis o la Copa Federación.

http://www.atb-e.com/leer_mas.asp?fh...go=portada&id=

Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
country flag Corredian's_Mind

Corredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond reputeCorredian's_Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridTheory

ÀLEX CORRETJA, His hand is not that of a señorito. In every crease of his palm the sacrifice of many hours clutching a racquet is sensed. It's the hand of a champion of the world.

Just four days to relax and take breath. There's been no more. Àlex Corretja couldn't rest longer. A flight to Andorra with his girlfriend, Marta, has been the way to celebrate his success at the World Tennis Championship that took place at the end of November in Hannover. Since that November 29th, 1998 in which he lifted the glass cup which credited him as the new tennis master, his life has turned in a way even he couldn't have imagined.

"It's been crazy". Interviews, reports, homages, prizes have acummulated in his father Luis' agenda. Everybody wanted to be with the champion, shared his success, celebrate. Since that triumph, days don't seem to have 24 hours. Until that moment, Àlex had never said no. Since then, he has had to say it more than he would have liked. "I haven't enlarge by success. I'm still the same and I don't want my life to change in any way. But I can't stay in every place. It's impossible", admits Àlex, though he was prepared to stand what comes to him. He hasn't lost his smile, his kindness, his liking, but admits that he has felt overwhelmed by events. When he arrived from Hannover, he spend a week trying to fulfill everybody, but he came up short. After coming back from his short holidays, his phone messages was saturated with new petitions. "The boy is like crazy going from one place to another, if everything goes this way one more day, I believe he's going to dismiss his father as manager", jokes his mother, Luisa.

Àlex dreamt of journalists, and in his right cheek has appeared an eruption of pimples the dermatologist said are because of stress. "The dwarf", as is affectionately called by his two elder brothers, Iván and Sergio, has become a complete tennis player. At 24 years he's the champion he dreamt when he was a little child. When 7 years old, Pedro Mora accepted him in the Club de Tenis La Salut school. "He was very small and I couldn't imagine that I would be at his side celebrating a success like that, but from the very first day I liked his attitude in court. He was smart, you didn't have to tell him things twice and had a great concentration capacity", remembers his first trainer and also the discoverer of another exceptional talent as Manuel Orantes, for whom Alex has devotion to from an early age and whom he has followed for 22 years at the top of the Masters. Corretja achieved his graduation cum laude before some opponents who went to the final exam with better marks. He gave a magistral lesson on the court and became deserving of a title that, only before him, John McEnroe had been able to win in the same year of his debut. Àlex performed first against Andre Agassi, the irreverent guy from Las Vegas that returned to the elite after a poor year in which he descended to the number ? in the rankings. Alex broke him. The ex-number 1 and 1990 champion of the Masters couldn't stand the catalonian rythym and retired before finishing a match he would never had won. "That victory made me open my eyes and I believed I could do something big", he remembers. Victory calmed his anxiety. "Today it's easy talking about that, but I went to Hannover ready for everything. During the season I've showed that I could win and play well in surfaces other than clay. I did win on hardcourt(Dubai and Indianapolis) and a couple of weeks before, indoor (Lyon)", he presses. The second test was to be as complicated as decisive. He surpassed the round robin, Corretja got to the semis against the last winner, north american Pete Sampras, who, 24 hours before, pursued a historic record by winning enough points to be, for the sixth consecutive year, number one of the world. The north american was playing in Hannover "the best tennis of my life", as he proudly proclaimed. He felt safe, strong and invincible to crown his success with his fifth title in the world championship. But Sampras didn't count on the fact that he would face his worst rival on the other side of the net. A guy who put him on a plight two years earlier in the US Open quarter finals and was ready to face him in an epic duel in what was to become the best match of the season. Four hours and a minute of intense play, spectacular and fantastic, which resolved on Corretja's favor after saving three match balls. "I feel I was living the most important moment of my career, though I avoided a celebration", he remembers.

The third and last test ended as the best prize of his life. Corretja played the title with Carlos Moyà. Seven months earlier, the mallorquin snatched away the Roland Garros title, almost without struggle. In that final Alex was more pending of celebrating the success of his friend than looking for a victory. In Hannover was different. This time he wasn't inclined to surrender so easily. He didn't like to relive the sensation he had days after that defeat in Paris. Moyà did it difficult. "In a court I don't even let my father win", the mallorquin had announced and seemed on his way to fulfill it when he controlled the match with two sets on his side and an advantage of 3-1 in the third. But Corretja stood stoic for his chance. And when he got it he didn't let go. "Winning the Masters was like touching heaven with the hands. something unique, incredible and wonderful", he explains. His success, perhaps unexpected, had the epic of great moments. That unique instant with which life presents to those who have the conviction and faith to fight for a dream. Corretja could have lost that dream called desire. His entering in the professional circuit hadn't the spectacularity as those of other companions. His progression was slow and discreet, when compared with his successes at lower categories. He conquered the first title at Buenos Aires in 1994, but didn't win another tournament until 1997, at Estoril. "At 21 years he looked like a player that had stopped his progression, that had reach his best, but he has surprised everybody. Alex has exploded and shown also that he has a great talent", highlighted Carlos Costa. "His best quality is his mental strength and the conviction he has in his possibilities", notes Tomás Carbonell. "He's done something great and has showed that working hard you could dream of everything", admits Félix Mantilla. "Alex's been looking for a triumph like this all of his life and he has work a lot to achieve it, he deserves it", recognize Albert Costa. "He's the spanish player that has developed more in this two years, and because his sacrifice capacity he'll be number one", assures Jordi Arrese. Adding to Corretja's fellows opinions, some years ago they christened him lovingly with the nickname Forrest Gump because he would run all the day as the character in the film starred by Tom Hanks.

Corretja has believed in himself and known how to be surrounded by a good work team. He's always added instead of subtracted. The secret of his success, if there's any, is this. Unconsciously or not, in every experience, good or bad, he's found the advice to exceed situations and being better. His list of gratefulness is endless and Alex refuses to give names not to wound susceptibilities. "I've been lucky so as to be always surrounded with people who loves me and believe in me", explains. But in this long journey his family has been the girder. "They're the most important thing for me. They make me feel OK, happy", recognize. Beside them, his girlfriend, Marta Cors, has become the perfect companion. Since 15 years, when they met, Alex hasn't got eyes for any other girl: "She bear my craziness and has always support me in my career and is the person I love and with which I want to have children some day". Marta is happy seeing his success. "He deserves something like that. A triumph that compensates all his work. I'm happy for him because I know the sacrifice he's made", explains the youth, who didn't forget the hard moments Alex has had to pass, among them that defeat in Flushing Meadow against Sampras. "That day was awful, he had never exit a court like that. Alex stayed crying all night and I didn't know how to console him. It was horrible. That's why I give so a special value to what happened in Hannover", remembers Marta. At court, the circle of people who allowed him reached his dreams have names. Doctor Ángel Ruiz Cotorro, from Spanish Tennis Federation, has help him stablish a specific food program. Alberto Berasategui has been the inseparable friend with whom he's shared his dream of being a tennis player since he was 14. The person to him he has confided dreams and frustrations. "An exceptional guy with which is difficult not to get along". Salvador Sosa allowed him to make fit this machine called body that now frightens in the circuit and seem indefatigable and indestructible. the man who knew how to reconvert his physical capabilities to play confortable. "He's my physical trainer, but his collaboration hasn't limited to that. His giving has been total since the day he joined the team", highlighted Alex. And, Dudu, Javier Duarte, his coach. The one who possibly knows him better and has been at his side on court since 14. Someone for whom Corretja and Berasategui will give an arm if needed. "Dudú, you think you've formed two masters, but we've known from a time that the only master is you", they engraved in a silver box they gave him in a surprise party Duarte set up for his two players, to celebrate that they both had reached the Roland Garros final and the Masters. Beside them, Corretja dreams of reaching new challenges though without obsessioning. "My wish is to be everyday a little bit better as a player. To win the Australian Open or be number one is something that doesn't seem impossible to me now but if I didn't do it, I'll be happy all the same".

CHAMPION MANIAS -- He doesn't stand liars Alex is not superstitious, though he has some manias. When he plays he always avoid treading the lines while crossing the court. In his right sock he keeps the aplicator used by tennis players to put in string locks, it calms him and he says it brings luck to him since he reach the Hamburg final in 1996. In tournament days he sleeps for 12 hours. He likes listening to music and travels with 40 CD. He likes paella (rice with saffron and greens and meat and wathever you like), pasta nad seafood. He doesn't like green salads, but eats them on a diet needing basis. Every three months he uses six raquets. He hates lies, and gets ruffle with people that cheat him. He can talk with his friends for hours. He never leaves money on the bed 'cause he says it brings bad luck. The last book he read was "The alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. He's a popcorn devourer and passionate about the cinema.

i didn't know alex had read "the alchemist"...well it's a great book, i've just loved it! (hey i've something in common with him LOL )
Corredian's_Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
country flag RogiFan88

Alex supporting Chile's efforts to beat USA in Davis Cup!

Alex Corretja derrotó a Pete Sampras en pasto por Copa Davis y entrega su receta con miras al match entre Chile y Estados Unidos:
"Si yo hice el milagro, Massú y González también pueden"

El español dice que jamás pensó que podría ganar siquiera un juego ante el ex número uno del mundo, sin embargo dio la sorpresa en el partido que se jugó hace cuatro años. Por eso les da opción a los nacionales en el match que se disputará del 7 al 9 de abril en California.

Fecha edición: 12-03-2006

[Photo : Union de grupo Alex Corretja cree que este es un factor muy relevante y que puede ser muy importante para que Chile logre una victoria sobre Estados Unidos.]

Fue algo increíble para Alex Corretja. Una historia memorable, quizás de las más importantes que vivió durante su carrera profesional. Y claro, porque llegar y ganarle a Pete Sampras de local por Copa Davis ya es un hecho digno de destacar. Pero si a eso se le suma que el partido se jugó en pasto, donde el estadounidense fue amo y rey con sus siete coronas en Wimbledon, ya entra en el ámbito de lo memorable para cualquiera.

De ahí que el español, hoy retirado del circuito debido a un accidente que sufrió en el ojo derecho, sea un buen referente para conocer cómo Chile podría superar a Estados Unidos en la serie que se jugará sobre césped entre el 7 y 9 de abril en Mission Hills, en California.

España perdió esa serie (3-1, en abril de 2002 en Houston), pero me imagino que de todas formas será una confrontación que no olvidará...

Imagínate. La verdad es que yo fui a Estados Unidos pensando que no podría ganar ni un juego ante Sampras. Parecía imposible. Pero cuando me vi dos sets iguales me motivé tanto, que conseguí lo imposible. Tengo que ser sincero: para mí fue un milagro ganarle a Sampras en pasto, pero si yo lo hice, no veo por qué Massú y González no puedan ganarles a los jugadores que ahora defenderán a Estados Unidos.

¿Y cuál cree que es la receta?

Lo más importante es la preparación. Creo que, mínimo, hay que estar entrenando entre ocho a 10 días en pasto. Nosotros nos fuimos a Houston con esa diferencia y yo al menos me sentí muy cómodo. Hay que jugar muchos sets, juegos, sacar mucho, porque el servicio es fundamental en esta superficie.

Para cualquiera

Quien en su momento fue reconocido como el líder espiritual de la nutrida armada española asegura que pese a las condiciones adversas, el equipo nacional puede dar la sorpresa en Norteamérica, especialmente por la unión que hay entre Massú y González.

En todo caso, ¿concuerda que Estados Unidos es el gran favorito para ganar la confrontación?

Bueno, claro. Son locales y pusieron una superficie que les acomoda. Roddick ha jugado dos años seguidos la final de Wimbledon y los Bryan son número uno en dobles. Pero conozco a los chilenos y los veo unidos. No tienen nada que perder y creo que la eliminatoria puede ser para cualquiera.

¿Cuál será la principal dificultad que encontrarán los chilenos al jugar en pasto?

Bueno, lo más difícil es que la pelota pica muy bajo. Además de que moverse en pasto es muy distinto que hacerlo en tierra o en cemento. Además que se carga la espalda, porque hay que agacharse mucho. Pero con una buena preparación se puede hacer un buen tenis y González y Massú pueden complicar a cualquiera, más allá de la superficie. Lo demostraron en los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas donde hicieron algo increíble.

Pero está claro que ellos eligieron pasto para perjudicar a los chilenos...

Eso y también porque ellos se sienten bien jugando en césped. Ya nombré a Roddick y los Bryan, y el segundo singlista que elijan también puede jugar bien ahí, ya sea (James) Blake, (Taylor) Dent o (Andre) Agassi.

¿Cómo es el público estadounidense?

Es un público muy correcto el que va a Copa Davis. Son muy patriotas al momento de entonar su himno, pero muy respetuosos del rival. No son gente polémica y no molestan como ocurre en otras partes del mundo.

la nueva vida de corretja
De la cancha a la televisión

Tras la lesión en el ojo derecho que le impidió seguir en el circuito profesional, Alex Corretja se vio obligado a expresar en otras actividades su experiencia en el tenis. La televisión y las clínicas para menores son las principales materias que ocupan la agenda del ex raquetero, a quien sus pares hispanos todavía reconocen como un referente.

Alex Corretja comentó el Abierto de Australia para Televisión Española, así como el partido en que su país cayó ante Bielorrusia por la primera ronda del Grupo Mundial de Copa Davis.

En este sentido, muchos en España ya lo ven como futuro capitán en la lucha por la Ensaladera de Plata.

www.tercera.cl

Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
country flag RogiFan88

Alex to be honoured along with other RG finalists and champions in special homage in Valencia!

El Open de la Comunidad homenajará a los finalistas españoles en París
LOS TENISTAS ESPAÑOLES QUE HAYAN LLEGADO A LA FINALÍSIMA DEL ROLAND GARROS SERÁN RECIBIDOS POR CAMPS

La cuarta edición del Open de Tenis de la Comunidad Valenciana, que se disputa del 8 al 16 de abril en el Club de Tenis Valencia, homenajeará a los ganadores y finalistas españoles del Roland Garros, que serán recibidos por el presidente de la Generalitat, Francisco Camps.

PANORAMA-ACTUAL - 23/03/2006 13:47 h.

El día 12 de abril, durante la disputa de la cuarta edición de la cita tenística valenciana, el Jefe del Ejecutivo valenciano recibirá a los catorce homenajeados, en un acto en el que Camps será obsequiado con una placa en la que están grabados el nombre de los tenistas.

Fuentes de la organización comentaron que el torneo ha tratado de contar con la participación del máximo número posible de campeones del Roland Garros y así competirán Juan Carlos Ferrero, Albert Costa y el argentino Gastón Gaudio, que también será homenajeado. Además, está pendiente de confirmar la presencia del brasileño Gustavo Kuerten.

Además de Ferrero, vencedor del Roland Garros en 2003, Costa (2002) y Gaudio (2004), participarán en el homenaje, que tendrá también su reflejo durante el torneo en la pista central, Arancha Sánchez Vicario, campeona en 1989, 1994 y 1998, Sergi Bruguera (1993 y 1994), Manolo Santana (1961 y 1964) y Andrés Gimeno (1972).

Igualmente estarán los campeones de dobles Emilio Sánchez Vicario (1988 y 1990) y Sergio Casal (1990), el de dobles mixto Tomás Carbonell (2001) y los finalistas Alex Corretja, Alberto Berasategui, Manuel Orantes y Conchita Martínez.

El Abierto de la Comunidad Valencia es el primer torneo de Europa sobre tierra batida de la temporada, que culmina, en su tramo más relevante, con la cita francesa en el Roland Garros.

http://www.panorama-actual.es/imprim...3944&Year=2006

Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis A Fondo April 2006

I hope you can read it because of the pics the text is a bit blurry.... Also I had to cut up the pages...they were too big.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
country flag RogiFan88

Carlita, I thank you!!! I can't get this mag at all here!!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #15
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

de Nando! where is here? you seem to be moving around a bit

Can you read it alright? Otherwise I could scan without the soft touch to make it less blurry