Stick for a new guy question - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
country flag Mike100

Mike100 is on a distinguished road
Default Stick for a new guy question

I'm new to tennis and this forum so hello everyone,on to the question.I've been to the same club and talked to 2 different pros and have gotten 2 differing opinions on racquet choice for a new player.one says to go 9 ounce range with a super big head in the 110 to 118 in range and the other says to play as heavy a racquet as I can control and stay in the 105 in range.I would like to know your opinions on specs for me,btw I'm 5,10 185 lbs and I'm very athletic ,raced motocross for the last 20 plus years,thanks in advance
Mike100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
country flag Mike100

Default Re: Stick for a new guy question

[quote=Mike100;11363432]I'm new to tennis and this forum so hello everyone,on to the question.I've been to the same club and talked to 2 different pros and have gotten 2 differing opinions on racquet choice for a new player.one says to go 9 ounce range with a super big head in the 110 to 118 in range and the other says to play as heavy a racquet as I can control and stay in the 105 in range.I would like to know your opinions on specs for me,btw I'm 5,10 185 lbs and I have an athletic build,I take a moderate swing at the ball and hit the center of the racquet most of the time,thank you- mike
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Mike100;11365558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike100 View Post
I'm new to tennis and this forum so hello everyone,on to the question.I've been to the same club and talked to 2 different pros and have gotten 2 differing opinions on racquet choice for a new player.one says to go 9 ounce range with a super big head in the 110 to 118 in range and the other says to play as heavy a racquet as I can control and stay in the 105 in range.I would like to know your opinions on specs for me,btw I'm 5,10 185 lbs and I have an athletic build,I take a moderate swing at the ball and hit the center of the racquet most of the time,thank you- mike
Hmmmmmmm. Well actually they are two valid philosophies, and tbh if you are just starting out, the racket you use won't make much of a difference.For now I would get whatever is cheapest, check out this page http://www.racquetfinder.com/?
name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=100&hsMax=110&lMin=27&lM ax=27&wMin=9&wMax=10.5&swMin=&swMax=&fMin=&fMax=&b pMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=&crosses=&current checkbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=11&y=16

you really don't want to spend much on your first racket probably less than 100$ because you dont know what you like, or wont want in a racket till you try a few out. Also 1 other thing; you will probably become an intermediate fairly quickly and "grow" out of your first racket in about 3-6 months.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
country flag Mike100

wow 116 views and 1 reply,tennis people sure are tight lipped.thanks dunlop for your opinion-regards mike
Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey if you need better answers for equipment related questioons i suggest try the forum in the tenniswarehouse.com website.

My opinion is slightly different from Dunlop, I think you should be looking for a nice racket. Buying a racket in the 100-115 head range is nice, but you should know that pro players use the 90-98 range and that the weight wanders around 290g to 330 g and with more and more weights as they use some tapes in the head to make it heavier. My suggestion: buy an intermediate racket with a head of 100-105 with medium price, and if you realize you like tennis, in 6 months or one year ( I suggest one year, if you are planning to play once per week, for example), you buy a very nice racket used by pro players, with head 95 or 98 (then you research a bit more about rackets).
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
country flag 10sMan

10sMan is on a distinguished road

Listen, If you want to learn to play this game good and you are athletic and keep yourslef in good shape take a good stick. I'd take something like head speed MP or babolat pure storm, or wilson 6.1 team. It is going to be little more difficult to get a lot of balls in at first, but with several lessons and some practice you will be playing a lot better. Anything above 100 inches is for old people and/ or out of shape.
10sMan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #7

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sMan View Post
Listen, If you want to learn to play this game good and you are athletic and keep yourslef in good shape take a good stick. I'd take something like head speed MP or babolat pure storm, or wilson 6.1 team. It is going to be little more difficult to get a lot of balls in at first, but with several lessons and some practice you will be playing a lot better. Anything above 100 inches is for old people and/ or out of shape.
Why discourage him? 100-115 inches in fine. "Trashy" players on tour us 100+ in headsizes (nadal and roddick/anyone who uses babolat) and agassi used an oversized racket when he played. It's called an intermediate racket because it's for intermediate players. He needs a beginners racket.....BECAUSE HES A BEGINNER
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Hey if you need better answers for equipment related questioons i suggest try the forum in the tenniswarehouse.com website.

My opinion is slightly different from Dunlop, I think you should be looking for a nice racket. Buying a racket in the 100-115 head range is nice, but you should know that pro players use the 90-98 range and that the weight wanders around 290g to 330 g and with more and more weights as they use some tapes in the head to make it heavier. My suggestion: buy an intermediate racket with a head of 100-105 with medium price, and if you realize you like tennis, in 6 months or one year ( I suggest one year, if you are planning to play once per week, for example), you buy a very nice racket used by pro players, with head 95 or 98 (then you research a bit more about rackets).
Yet again, they are pro players....that's why they use pro level sticks. I was saying buy an older/liquidation cheaper oversized racket because then as he progresses he will be able to get another when he is ready to move to a midplus.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
country flag sernik

sernik is on a distinguished road

I'm back to tennis after very long time and this year was my first season after 25 years.
I was also looking for a new frame and had no idea what to get.
For first two months I was borrowing rockets from my friends (to busy to play more than twice a year) and trying a lot of demos from local stores and clubs.
No need to say how drastically different they were, yet still I could not tell nor feel much of a difference.
I use to swing long and fast but it took about 3 months to restore the confidence in my swing and after that I could see what does or not work for me and make a decision.
I land up with 300g soft (57), 100 in2 frame that works for me just right.(and now I'm even getting picky about the strings). But let me get to the point.
Get more comfortable hitting,first,than think what is helping you do it better.Weight? Balance? Stiffness? etc.
Demo as much as you can afford (and or ask your busy friends to let you use their dusted equipment).
Good luck! Take your time.
sernik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote