ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 98 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #1456
country flag hewitt2002

hewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would your ideal ATP calender consist of?

Dubai masters
Shanghai masters
Australian Open (March)
Rio masters (clay)
Madrid masters
Rome masters
French open (brought forward a week)
Hamburg Masters (grass)
Wimbledon (1 week later)
Canada masters
US Open
Indian wells
Tour finals in Miami (start of October)

Finish the year with Davis cup matches

All masters events 1 week long,64 draw, best of 5 set final
hewitt2002 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #1457
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Remove IW and Miami, clay season stars and finishes earlier. Longer grass season with 2 M1000 on grass.

AO to be medium-slow HC, Us Open fast hard court. Fast grass, but no like in the 90's, more like around the early noughties
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1458
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Don't make the season so hardcourt heavy for starters. There should at least be a 50-50 split between hardcourt tournaments and natural surface events. Slow hardcourts should be scrapped for good, not only is the tennis boring but the surface is actually very dangerous to the player's health during and after their tennis career, leave the slow part of the season to clay where every event should be very slow, hardcourts should be either medium or fast.

We could start the season with some lead-up events to the AO, played on a medium hardcourt, then a neutral part of the season with 250/500 events on offer on all surfaces - what I mean is this stretch of the season shouldn't be surface heavy, but let players choose between playing hardcourt events, clay events or grass events every/most weeks. Let this stretch of the season go from early February until, say, Mid march, 6 weeks - you can get a good mix of different surfaces, conditions and speeds here.

Then scrap Indian Wells and Miami and start the clay season two/three weeks earlier: scrap Madrid, bring back Hamburg, make Monte Carlo compulsory. The clay should be slow of course, say like the clay in the Spain vs Argentina DC 2011 final. Three Masters, one Slam and some minor events, will see the clay season end at about the first week of June.

After that and until the end of July, grass court season: one (or two) grass Masters, some minor events and Wimbledon of course, 7/8 weeks of grasscourt season. Fast, low bouncing grass of course.

Then in August, minor events the first week, followed by the two Masters, a week rest and the US Open in the first fortnight of September. We could even give another week of warmup events and start the US Open in the second week of September. This stretch of the season should consist of quick/fast (but not lightningly fast) hardcourts.

October and November should be mostly dedicated to the indoor season (6 weeks) of course. We can alternate fast with medium pace indoor courts. 2 Masters here (but scrap Shanghai, horrible event) and the WTF to conclude the season of course.

Just some loose thoughts here
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1459
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

AO surface for every tournament
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #1460
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait till GSMnadal gets here. I'd imagine he'd want RG to be played 20 times a year.

Obvious omissions at the moment are a grass court Masters.

Events like IW and Miami are ultimately pointless when you think about it. There are two hard court GS titles to be won, 1 on clay and 1 on grass; the whole season should be built around making the preceding events in the run-up to the Slams solely on those surfaces. Why have we had the Aussie Open and then 2 Master Series events after only for us to go onto clay not long after that?

I find the whole tennis calendar very strange.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #1461
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

How about...

HC Masters 1
Australian Open
Clay Masters 1
Clay Masters 2
Clay Masters 3
Roland Garros
Grass Masters 1
Grass Masters 2
Wimbledon
HC Masters 2
HC Masters 3
US Open
Indoor HC Masters
World Tour Finals
Abel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #1462
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Calendar Rearrangement

I've been thinking about the concept of adding a fifth major, which I'm all for, but it's all the little details, so I'm going to give you guys my personal opinion and wait to be ripped apart.

Firstly, the 5th major should be on clay to make the sport more even
Secondly, it needs to be at an event with history.

So I'm thinking. Monte Carlo. And here's how my ATP calendar would look

March
1st Week: Indian Wells (1 week event)
2nd Week: Miami (1 week event)
3rd Week: Davis Cup (used as rest for most players)
4th Week: Some clay 250's

April
April 1-7: Some more clay 250's
April 8-21: Monte Carlo
April 22-28: Barcelona and Romania
April 29-May 5: Estoril and Munich

May
May 6-12: Madrid Masters
May 13-19: Rome Masters
May 20-26: Nice and Dusseldorf
May 27- : Roland Garros

Basically take out 2 weeks of hard court masters, add an extra week to Monte Carlo, plus an extra week which most top players will use as breaks.

In terms of Top Player commitment, they'll all play Indian Wells and Miami, maybe skip Davis Cup, use 1 of the next two weeks to rest (or both), play 2 weeks at Monte Carlo, probably use both of the next two weeks to rest then the regular May schedule.
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #1463
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Calendar Rearrangement

Monte Carlo couldn't possibly expand their grounds enough to match the other majors. Space is limited there, and obviously very expensive.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #1464
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Monte Carlo couldn't possibly expand their grounds enough to match the other majors. Space is limited there, and obviously very expensive.
I didn't really think about location, I was thinking about time more so.
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #1465
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

If 5th slam happens, it will most likely be in China. Other possible would be Madrid, IW, or maybe Dubai/Qatar/Abu Dhabi. Only Madrid of those would be on clay, others would be HCs.

And I really don't want a fifth slam, four is enough. If anything, they should increase the profile of WTF to make it the indoor slam, or almost slam-equivalent. They could start from 2000 points for an undefeated champ.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1466
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need for a fifth slam. A longer grass season with a 1000 event is the main thing.
Abel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #1467
country flag hewitt2002

hewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond reputehewitt2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season

Interesting comments on the calendar and the Miami masters by journalist Neil Harman in his book Court Confidential -

He says The Miami Masters two week dates in the calandar are set in stone by an agreement with the ATP that extended for three decades. The deal was made by Miami Masters owner Butch Buchholz in around 1987. Therefore the agreement with the ATP on their dates should expire in 2017.
hewitt2002 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #1468
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Don't make the season so hardcourt heavy for starters. There should at least be a 50-50 split between hardcourt tournaments and natural surface events. Slow hardcourts should be scrapped for good, not only is the tennis boring but the surface is actually very dangerous to the player's health during and after their tennis career, leave the slow part of the season to clay where every event should be very slow, hardcourts should be either medium or fast.

We could start the season with some lead-up events to the AO, played on a medium hardcourt, then a neutral part of the season with 250/500 events on offer on all surfaces - what I mean is this stretch of the season shouldn't be surface heavy, but let players choose between playing hardcourt events, clay events or grass events every/most weeks. Let this stretch of the season go from early February until, say, Mid march, 6 weeks - you can get a good mix of different surfaces, conditions and speeds here.

Then scrap Indian Wells and Miami and start the clay season two/three weeks earlier: scrap Madrid, bring back Hamburg, make Monte Carlo compulsory. The clay should be slow of course, say like the clay in the Spain vs Argentina DC 2011 final. Three Masters, one Slam and some minor events, will see the clay season end at about the first week of June.

After that and until the end of July, grass court season: one (or two) grass Masters, some minor events and Wimbledon of course, 7/8 weeks of grasscourt season. Fast, low bouncing grass of course.

Then in August, minor events the first week, followed by the two Masters, a week rest and the US Open in the first fortnight of September. We could even give another week of warmup events and start the US Open in the second week of September. This stretch of the season should consist of quick/fast (but not lightningly fast) hardcourts.

October and November should be mostly dedicated to the indoor season (6 weeks) of course. We can alternate fast with medium pace indoor courts. 2 Masters here (but scrap Shanghai, horrible event) and the WTF to conclude the season of course.

Just some loose thoughts here
I like these ideas a lot.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1469
country flag Dangermouse

Dangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond repute

Season runs from the first week of the Calendar year through October

Split into 4 distinct seasons, each with two masters and one slam.

One davis cup event in each season.

First quarter of the season - January through mid March - Slow HC season

Includes IW, Miami, and the Australian open.. However with IW/Miami in January and Melbourne in March.

Mid March through late May - Clay season

Includes Madrid, Rome and RG.

Monte Carlo relegated to 500.

Early June through mid August - Grass season

Masters 1000 events: Queen's and a new Grass event in France.
Wimbledon moved to first fortnight in August.

Mid August through mid October - Fast HC season

Canada/Cincinnati, and then Flushing meadows in October to finish the season.

WTF held in Shanghai to compensate for eliminating their masters.
Challenger Race 2014(D): 30

Doubles CHAMPION /Redkop @ 2014 Itajai CH
Doubles RU w/Capriati Rules @ 2013 Winnetka CH(Fuck you Bogomolov)
Dangermouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #1470
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewitt2002 View Post
Interesting comments on the calendar and the Miami masters by journalist Neil Harman in his book Court Confidential -

He says The Miami Masters two week dates in the calandar are set in stone by an agreement with the ATP that extended for three decades. The deal was made by Miami Masters owner Butch Buchholz in around 1987. Therefore the agreement with the ATP on their dates should expire in 2017.
Agreements are only set in stone until the right offer comes along

I'd honestly like to see the AO move at least a few weeks ahead, Shanghai 1000 and some Aussie/Asian events leading into AO. IW and Miami aren't going anywhere, but what I'd like to see is they both switch to green clay. If they don't switch to green clay, then for God's sake speed up those 2 tournaments, sweet Jesus.

Then the clay season, Madrid isn't going anywhere unfortunately, MC, and Rome, then RG. Hamburg and Stuttgart I think will be changing to grass, and at one point I'd like to see:

RG
mug grass events
Grass 500's
Grass 500's
mug grass events
Wimbledon

Wouldn't mind a 1000 on grass.

Then the hardcourts, USO, and then indoor season.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote