ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #91
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHOULD SOME CLAY COURT TOURNAMENTS BE TAKEN FROM ATP SCHEDULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
Sure, or do you have any reasons why there shouldn't be more grass events? At least in theory, even though it's in practise most likely not realisable to have a fair balance?

Oh, no wait!! I've got the answer, it's because Wimbledon and Roland Garros are so close to each other and playing more grass events way before or after Wimbledon wouldn't work because it would make Wimbledon less special. But why is the same done with with, for example, RG and the clay events spread over the whole year?
Maybe because clay stays crappy all year long, and grass has to be seasoned during the summer?
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #92
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
Maybe because clay stays crappy all year long, and grass has to be seasoned during the summer?
Sure, the maintenance problem with grass is given.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:15 AM   #93
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than grass, other than carpet, too.
4 on clay and 5 on hardcourts, but there are major events on grass and carpet, so no it hasn't been totally neglected.

So your wording has changed now, since the conclusion that indoors isn't a specific surface.

Quote:
Considering we have 4 surfaces, and 4 out of 9 ISG events are played on clay, one surface of four in total, there is not much to complain about clay not getting enough respected.
I still see you haven't tried to counteract the fact that 4 out of 14 of the biggest events are on clay, so this means 10 are on grass, carpet and hardcourt, the vast majority are on hardcourt, that is what it's about the Slams and TMS are the events that truly count, so yes 4 out of 14 is truly dominating.

Quote:
The differentiation should not be whether slow or not, clay and non-clay as you put this numbers; at best, the events should be balanced between all four surfaces.
There isn't a way I put the numbers, as those numbers are factual and so is the surface representation, how you choose to read them is for your own interpretation.

Who is going to fund the development for extra grasscourts being laid down? Is it going to be with countries that they can grow them in greenhouses, when the weather is too harsh outside to maintain them all year around.

Since the tour shouldn't be concentrated only in certain places, there is a chance that certain places would have less opportunities to host events, and how is that beneficial, if more people want to see the game.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 07-14-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #94
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdutchclogs
As it is, clay court players are able to pick a schedule 'which suits them 100 per cent' whereas hard court players are not allowed this luxury for 15 consecutive weeks.
Another myth and why. There are 4 weeks at the start of the year to play on hardcourts, then after that a player could easily not play on clay until after Miami, as is there choice.

After RG, it's just as easy not to play on clay, it's something that Hewitt, Henman, Roddick, T.Johansson, PimPim and Agassi have managed to do quite successfully, so don't give me this line.

Then for 2 weeks after the US Open, there aren't clay events, but it's just as easy not to play on clay, but hey we can't have that, as it's only these players benefitting.

Too much tennis on hardcourts already has led to an increase in injuries, but that's probably another myth.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #95
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default This should be the ATP calendar

Extending from the idea of an AMS event in Asia, I think there are many parts of the calendar which need to be changed. At the moment, many events are too close together. They're all in North America and Western Europe and some of them are back-to-back (eg Rome/Hamburg and Canada/Cincy).
Here is my proposal:

Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN - Hard
Feb AMS Buenos Aires - Clay
Mar AMS Monte-Carlo - Clay
Apr AMS Rome - Clay
May ROLAND GARROS - Clay
Jun AMS Hamburg - Grass
Jun WIMBLEDON - Grass
Jul AMS Indian Wells - Hard
Aug AMS Miami - Hard
Sep US OPEN - Hard
Oct AMS Tokyo/Beijing/Moscow - Indoors
Oct AMS Madrid - Indoors
Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP

Everyone complains about the short grass court season - the gap between RG and Wimby. So why not move the German Open from May to June and change the surface from clay to grass. This way, there can be at least 1 AMS grass event and the grass court season can last 1 extra week.

South America clearly loves tennis and they have plenty of players in the top 100. Surely Argentina can host an AMS event to help encourage Federer, Hewitt, Roddick and Safin to play in South America. It could be held at the end of February, say 4 weeks after the Aus Open.

IW and Miami are known as the 5th and 6th slams so, instead of scrapping them, let them replace Canada/Cincy in August.

And, off course, an AMS event in Asia should be held either in Japan or China or possibly Russia. But I think Spain deserves a Masters Series event so keep Madrid Indoors at the end of the season.
Jimnik is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #96
country flag RogerRocks

RogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRocks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

for some reason I like it. Hamburg as a grass tournament sounds cool. Buenos Aires is a good thing too.

However, if u want to move Indian Wells and Miami to the summer hard court cirquit, does this mean the traditional summer cirquit tournaments had to be moved to spring??
RogerRocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #97
country flag lorenz

lorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond reputelorenz has a reputation beyond repute

Your proposition is very nice, especially (AMS Buenos Aires)
but the players only have one moth of vacation. They need two moths at least.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #98
country flag Galaxystorm

Galaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond repute

Hamburg tournament on grass ?? . why not Halle as a TMS ??
Galaxystorm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #99
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Great starting point. It ends the year earlier so that the players have a real off season.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #100
country flag revolution

revolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond repute

Not too bad- but to design a proper calendar you need the minority events included too and actually build from scratch. My calendar was this.

Week1- Adelaide, Doha
Week2- Auckland, Sydney
Week3-4 Australian Open
Week 5- Davis Cup World Group
Week 6- Beijing, Chennai
Week 7- Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City
Week 8- TMS Tokyo (hardcourt)
Week 9- Davis Cup Quarter Finals
Week 10- Vina del Mar, Valencia, Umag
Week 11- Palermo, Casablanca, Buenos Aires
Week 12- TMS Monte Carlo
Week 13- Barcelona, St Polten, Gstaad
Week 14- Bastad, Costa du Sauipe, Houston
Week 15- TMS Rome
Week 16- Kitzbuhel, Stuttgart, Acapulco
Week17-18 Roland Garros
Week 19- Newport, Liverpool (yeah go on bring ATP tennis here)
Week 20- TMS London
Week 21- TMS Halle
Week 22- s'hertogenbosch
week 23-24 Wimbledon
Week 25- Indianapolis
Week 26- Los Angeles, Miami ATP (not a TMS)
Week 27- Cincinnati ATP (no longer a TMS)
Week 28- Montreal/Toronto TMS
Week 29- Indian Wells TMS
Week 30- Washington DC
Week 31- New Haven
Week 32-33 US Open
Week 34- Marseille, Moscow
Week 35- Belgrade (new), Milan
Week 36- Davis Cup World Group playoffs/semis
Week 37- Lyon, Stockholm
Week 38- Rotterdam, St Petersburg
Week 39- TMS Madrid
Week 40- Basel, Vienna
Week 41- TMS Paris
Week 42-43- Tennis Masters Cup
Week 44- Davis Cup Final

Some will have complaints about this but I think it's fair. Less clay court events and also less hard court events, and more grass and a bit more indoor. That's how it should be.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #101
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz
Your proposition is very nice, especially (AMS Buenos Aires)
but the players only have one moth of vacation. They need two moths at least.
Well, technically the vacation is in December.
There have always been tournaments in February but they were International Series. Off course, they can choose to skip the AMS event if they want to but usually Federer, Nadal, Roddick and Safin play at this time of year so I don't think it will be a problem.
Jimnik is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #102
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

i was expecting naked pics on this thread

January - Rainer
February - Gambill ...

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #103
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
Feb AMS Buenos Aires - Clay
Too hot..

Quote:
Mar AMS Monte-Carlo - Clay
Apr AMS Rome - Clay
Too cold.

Quote:
Jul AMS Indian Wells - Hard
Aug AMS Miami - Hard
Have you been to those areas in that season?
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #104
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Miami in Aug
in Hurricane season

Indian Wells in Jul/Aug, you really want the players to kill themselves.

next thing will be to have an tournament like Dubai in July
now that would be torture.
you find walking outside around the block a real problem.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #105
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not too bad- but to design a proper calendar you need the minority events included too and actually build from scratch. My calendar was this.

Week1- Adelaide, Doha
Week2- Auckland, Sydney
Week3-4 Australian Open
Week 5- Davis Cup World Group
Week 6- Beijing, Chennai
Week 7- Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City
Week 8- TMS Tokyo (hardcourt)
Week 9- Davis Cup Quarter Finals
Week 10- Vina del Mar, Valencia, Umag
Week 11- Palermo, Casablanca, Buenos Aires
Week 12- TMS Monte Carlo
Week 13- Barcelona, St Polten, Gstaad
Week 14- Bastad, Costa du Sauipe, Houston
Week 15- TMS Rome
Week 16- Kitzbuhel, Stuttgart, Acapulco
Week17-18 Roland Garros
Week 19- Newport, Liverpool (yeah go on bring ATP tennis here)
Week 20- TMS London
Week 21- TMS Halle
Week 22- s'hertogenbosch
week 23-24 Wimbledon
Week 25- Indianapolis
Week 26- Los Angeles, Miami ATP (not a TMS)
Week 27- Cincinnati ATP (no longer a TMS)
Week 28- Montreal/Toronto TMS
Week 29- Indian Wells TMS
Week 30- Washington DC
Week 31- New Haven
Week 32-33 US Open
Week 34- Marseille, Moscow
Week 35- Belgrade (new), Milan
Week 36- Davis Cup World Group playoffs/semis
Week 37- Lyon, Stockholm
Week 38- Rotterdam, St Petersburg
Week 39- TMS Madrid
Week 40- Basel, Vienna
Week 41- TMS Paris
Week 42-43- Tennis Masters Cup
Week 44- Davis Cup Final

Some will have complaints about this but I think it's fair. Less clay court events and also less hard court events, and more grass and a bit more indoor. That's how it should be.
I've always felt that clay, grass and hardcourt events should be more evenly distriubuted throughout the year. I think the indoor events are fine as they are now though.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote