ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 62 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #916
country flag Lurking

Lurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player union call as injuries mount, scheduling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Why?
In a free system instead of offering high prize money they'd offer high appearance fees.
Lurking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #917
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Speed up IW, Miami, Canada and US Open. That'll ease the joints. Cincy is fine.

Shanghai's surface is a joke too. Bring back the purple TMC court, that was lightning fast.

Encourage players to hit winners/volleys rather than simply getting balls back in court.

Bring back 5 set TMS finals but not have B2B TMS.

Not hard is it.

These changes will ease the top players' fitness levels, whilst bringing a more entertaining product to the fans.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #918
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
In a free system instead of offering high prize money they'd offer high appearance fees.
I'd solve that problem by banning appearance fees.

In any case, it's not as though the top players are queueing up to play in 250s now. They have to play in only 2 (correct?) 250s as it is, & all of them will choose to make one of those a grass tune-up if they can. That leaves 1 other. That's why the 250s are already competing to attract top players with appearance fees. My system wouldn't make it any worse than it already is.

You do though raise an important point.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #919
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As I understood it Murray's main complaint was about the number of mandatory & counted tournaments. My impression is some top players have a problem with the schedule & some don't, & my proposal gives them the option to reduce their schedule without beyond a certain point damaging their rankings. Surely that's fair?

The trouble with moving WTF to early October is that you don't get a proper indoor season culminating in the WTF.
With the surfaces as similar as they are now, why do we need a proper indoor season? If you put all the indoor events back to carpet and WTF was played on carpet then maybe I'd agree with you.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #920
country flag TennisMindCamp
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

TennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond reputeTennisMindCamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis Pros Ready To Go On Strike?

Great news that the super market workers won't have a strike. But it's looking like professional tennis players are willing and ready to have one of their own.

Think it'll happen?

SOURCE: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Te...483/story.html

"Take Your Tennis Game To The Next Level With Free Winning Tips, Tricks, And Strategies!"
Tennis Tips (Video)
TennisMindCamp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #921
country flag yesh222

yesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Pros Ready To Go On Strike?

Not gonna happen. The only players who can afford it can afford to skip tournaments during the year anyway.
yesh222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #922
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Pros Ready To Go On Strike?

Fat chance.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #923
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In any case, it's not as though the top players are queueing up to play in 250s now. They have to play in only 2 (correct?) 250s as it is, & all of them will choose to make one of those a grass tune-up if they can. That leaves 1 other. That's why the 250s are already competing to attract top players with appearance fees. My system wouldn't make it any worse than it already is.

You do though raise an important point.
I like your idea, but I can´t see it happening. One way or another, there will always be appearance fees. Can you imagine the organisers in Dubai not paying huge money to attract the top players? No matter what the rules would be, they would find a a way to spread their money.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #924
country flag Lurking

Lurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then they'd just create a couple of Abu Dhabi's before every Slam if there was the demand.

Quote:
250's aren't competing with MS at the moment, in your system they could/would be.

MS aren't the real problem anyway, it's the position the AO is on the calendar and that's unlikely to ever be solved.
Lurking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #925
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the schedule is, it will never please everyone. One thing I would change is IW and Miami. Those two tournaments played back-to-back followed instantly by the clay season is just nonsense. Just cancel one of the two, it´s as simple as that. Before that, the season is pretty laid back for the top guys, its then that it gets busy.
Still, the complaints are ridicilous. These guys play stupid exhos ( Abu Dhabi), travel anywhere at all if there´s a lot of money on offer, play exhibition matches during off-season etc. And then they complain about Davis Cup, when the schedule there is just as they asked before. Whatever they get, will never be enough. It pisses me off, because these guys are so privileged to begin with. Maybe that´s why they are like spoiled brats.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #926
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-money View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/14985897.stm

Michael Stich criticizes Murray's comments and brings up some good points. Players can just schedule more wisely.

They can schedule more wisely but if Stich seriously wants to compare the tour of today with the tour when he played in the beginning and middle of the 90s then he is seriously mistaken.

The players are right, the schedule needs to be changed. They are just inconsistant about it and money-greedy (because of exhos etc.) and that is a shame.
Matt01 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #927
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Still, the complaints are ridicilous. These guys play stupid exhos ( Abu Dhabi), travel anywhere at all if there´s a lot of money on offer, play exhibition matches during off-season etc. And then they complain about Davis Cup, when the schedule there is just as they asked before. Whatever they get, will never be enough. It pisses me off, because these guys are so privileged to begin with. Maybe that´s why they are like spoiled brats.
Exactly.
The thing a lot of folks - including the top players - don't seem to understand, is that what's good for the top players is in fact very bad for all of the lower ranked guys, who need the long season of tournaments just to be capable of earning their money in the first place.
And it's not like the top players don't already have a lot of advantages - friendly draws, byes in first rounds...

They should quit the whinery and realize how privilaged they indeed are. All of them.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #928
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Whatever the schedule is, it will never please everyone. One thing I would change is IW and Miami. Those two tournaments played back-to-back followed instantly by the clay season is just nonsense. Just cancel one of the two, it´s as simple as that. Before that, the season is pretty laid back for the top guys, its then that it gets busy.
How simple is it to cancel an event?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #929
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Exactly.
The thing a lot of folks - including the top players - don't seem to understand, is that what's good for the top players is in fact very bad for all of the lower ranked guys, who need the long season of tournaments just to be capable of earning their money in the first place.
And it's not like the top players don't already have a lot of advantages - friendly draws, byes in first rounds...

They should quit the whinery and realize how privileged they indeed are. All of them.
I agree the top guys should quit whining. But I disagree with the complaints about exhos. It's not like these guys are playing tons of money grabbing exhibitions during the season (or even the off season for that matter). I don't think any of the exhibitions these guys participate in causing fatigue. Abu Dhabi is at the beginning of the year - it's basically a good practice match or two before the new season starts. Plus AM and #2 only have themselves to blame if they go all out in an exho as if they were playing in a grand slam final.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #930
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Love the desperados who think slow courts have nothing to do with the burnout.
i cant believe it either... it's such a no brainer that you can easily spot the tards and dumb c*nts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
They can schedule more wisely but if Stich seriously wants to compare the tour of today with the tour when he played in the beginning and middle of the 90s then he is seriously mistaken.

The players are right, the schedule needs to be changed. They are just inconsistant about it and money-greedy (because of exhos etc.) and that is a shame.
man, you have a pretty bad condition there... you get dumber each day...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote