ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 59 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #871
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player union call as injuries mount, scheduling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
The Tour shouldn't be shortened (in weeks) anymore than it has been, though. Many of the lower-ranked players enter 28+ events per year and need the opportunity to appear in main tour events in order to survive financially.
One doesn't exclude the other, though.

One of the suggestions I've seen was that the tour as such should not be shortened so if they lower ranked players want to play from January to December in order to survive financially, they could.
But the obligatory season should be shorter with a proper off season.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #872
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Doesn't mattter if it makes sense or if it benefits Fed or not..Paris Bery is evidence enough for me.
Yes it does because why would a player advocate something that most likely wouldn't benefit them? And Paris isn't that slow now so if anything the request at the time was probably to make it similar to Masters Cup in Shanghai vs. advocating a general slow down of all the surfaces. But since the general public and general tennis fan are used to 20-30 shot rallies and think that's how tennis should be played I don't see the surfaces speeding up anytime soon.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #873
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Doesn't mattter if it makes sense or if it benefits Fed or not..Paris Bery is evidence enough for me.
Are you some kind of super-mentally challenged person? Federer has been HURT multiple times by slow surfaces. It is Nadalito's uncle that has been lobbying hard to get the perfect events for his runt to play. Case in point, moving Rome after Madrid and having Madrid as a Masters 1000 before Hamburg (one of the oldest tournaments EVER). What about slowing down the AO and stupidly slow courts in the US this year coupled with slower balls. And do not even try mentionin the French this year as it's obvious people in France know a bit about tennis and are aware people are sick of stupid long and boring rallies which is why Paris-Bercy has been sped up and why they used balls that fly through the air faster (by Nadalito's racket sponsor btw). Wimbledon has been an all-together different atrocity in the past years.

I usually can't be arsed to answer such stupid posts but your deserves an award for being the stupidest of them all.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #874
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Are you some kind of super-mentally challenged person? Federer has been HURT multiple times by slow surfaces. It is Nadalito's uncle that has been lobbying hard to get the perfect events for his runt to play. Case in point, moving Rome after Madrid and having Madrid as a Masters 1000 before Hamburg (one of the oldest tournaments EVER). What about slowing down the AO and stupidly slow courts in the US this year coupled with slower balls. And do not try talking about the French this year as it's obvious people in France know a bit about tennis and are aware people are sick of stupid long and boring rallies which is why Paris-Bercy has been sped up and why they used balls that fly through the air faster (by Nadalito's racket sponsor btw).

I usually can't be arsed to answer such stupid posts but your deserves an award for being the stupidest of them all.

If you knew anything about tennis you would know that Hamburg is actually SLOWER than Madrid and that these tournaments don't have anything to do with "Nadalito's uncle lobbying" which is only a prodict of your imagination.

And your argumentation re: Federer is so useless that I won't even bother further. If you don't have any arguments, just be quiet.

And YOU are asking me if I'm mentally challenged?
Matt01 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #875
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
Typical answer from someone who has O (that is ZERO) arguments in his favour and conducts NO analysis whatsoever. Hamburg suits Roger Federer (his first big title is here) and Madrid is in Spain (that's too hard for you to see, I guess). Your statement that you don't need any evidence (as you provided NONE) is also enough to make me give up before starting because no amount of common sense is going to defeat your TARD logic.

Have nice wet dreams about Nadal.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #876
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^^^
Typical answer from someone who has O (that is ZERO) arguments in his favour and conducts NO analysis whatsoever. Hamburg suits Roger Federer (his first big title is here) and Madrid is in Spain (that's too hard for you to see, I guess). Your statement that you don't need any evidence (as you provided NONE) is also enough to make me give up before starting because no amount of common sense is going to defeat your TARD logic.

Yeah, and the fact that Nadal beat Fed in the last Hamburg final and that Fed beat Nadal in the first Madrid final totally proves your point that replacing Hamburg with Madrid was a move of the eville Spanish Mafia to help Nadal

Quote:
Have nice wet dreams about Nadal.

Thanks, I will
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #877
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you some kind of super-mentally challenged person? Federer has been HURT multiple times by slow surfaces. It is Nadalito's uncle that has been lobbying hard to get the perfect events for his runt to play. Case in point, moving Rome after Madrid and having Madrid as a Masters 1000 before Hamburg (one of the oldest tournaments EVER). What about slowing down the AO and stupidly slow courts in the US this year coupled with slower balls. And do not even try mentionin the French this year as it's obvious people in France know a bit about tennis and are aware people are sick of stupid long and boring rallies which is why Paris-Bercy has been sped up and why they used balls that fly through the air faster (by Nadalito's racket sponsor btw). Wimbledon has been an all-together different atrocity in the past years.

Thanks, that was funny.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #878
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
For me, there are too many hardcourt events, whatever the pace, and not enough events on natural surfaces, esp. grass.

What evidence do any of you offer about what which players pushed for exactly and what not?
It's just a speculation at the moment.
Exactly it's just speculation.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #879
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:

Paris Bercy is faster now so if players lobbied to slow it down they weren't very effective.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #880
country flag Looner

^^^

My point was that Paris-Bercy and the FO are one of the few that actually get it ie that spectators prefer a bit quicker points. The French took the step to speed up Paris-Bercy considerably (contrary to what's happening around them) to a point where Paris-Bercy is probably the fastest court on tour right now or at least its 2010 version. It was meant to show that the players' prayers were ignored here as opposed to listened to.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #881
country flag Matt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
Paris Bercy is faster now so if players lobbied to slow it down they weren't very effective.

IIRC they made the court slower after the player's complaints and then made it faster again.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #882
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Change DC to be every 2 or 4 years.
This (can't believe I agree with a poster named "nobama") but yes DC sort of looses it's importance when held every year. Could spread it out also - 2 rounds a year over 2 years instead of 4 rounds jammed in one year, none during the Olympics year.

Then make another one or two less mandatory 1000s - with maybe some requirement for court surface.

If tennis wants to attract more than just a few elitist athletes and fans there needs to be a lot of different tournaments in cities all over the world and at different levels of competition - broaden it's reach instead of cutting back.

Shortening the calendar just hurts the guys trying to move up, get points and make a few dollars to get to the next tournament. If ATP/ITF reduces slightly the number of mandatory tournaments, the top players can select to not play as much but guys trying to claw their way up still have opportunities.

Blaming the slower court surface is might as well blame the new racket and string technology that enables players to hit so hard or with more spin .

Last edited by Schu : 09-19-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #883
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is a sucker. Djokovic is a sucker. Murray is a sucker.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #884
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Blaming the slower court surface is might as well blame the new racket and string technology that enables players to hit so hard or with more spin .
You could blame that too. But it's not like slower surfaces are some sort of technological evolution like strings or racquets. Unless there's something new & unique about the paint and sand they use to cover the courts.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #885
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You could blame that too. But it's not like slower surfaces are some sort of technological evolution like strings or racquets. Unless there's something new & unique about the paint and sand they use to cover the courts.
There probably is some new ultra high-tech compound in that stuff but yes have to agree with you again - I've had some nasty tennis elbow/shoulder from new rackets and strings. But back to the issue, it's the back to back to back matches and training for months at a time that take a toll on the body (and mind) more than court speed so cut back on mandatory schedule not worry about making points shorter with faster courts.

On the completely other hand - no one is forcing these guys to train and play non-stop, that's the price you pay for wanting to be at the top. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen... or at least out of the top 10.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote