ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 51 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #751
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
because you have a heart would like to play for your country...? yeah... i know... what a crazy thought...
i really didn't understand the extent of this craziness until i heard baggy saying something like 'accomplishing the goal of winning the tennis gold olympic medal for one's country is the tennis' "olympian" achievement'... hmm, cyprus has never won an olympic medal, not even a bronze... summer or winter...

how parents' disabilities affect family dynamics?
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #752
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
Figured you'd say that. What tournaments, besides, say, Houston do the Americans play in NA during the spring clay season? I'd maybe grant your point if they were playing on hard courts in NA while the rest of the tour was in Europe playing on clay.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the US Open Series.
No, you are changing the goalposts. There are too many hardcourt events which is obvious considering it's the dominant surface on tour, there don't need to be anymore.

The time thing refers to Americans besides Isner not coming over to Europe for a proper clay season, they say apart from the surface, they don't want to be away from the US for that long, fair enough if they want to use that. As it stands, the ATP don't have the best interests of the game at heart.

Considering the clay events before RG aren't in danger and market themselves, well apart from Madrid then there isn't the massive marketing need unlike the US Open series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
because you have a heart would like to play for your country...? yeah... i know... what a crazy thought...
If you disagree with Munza then you are in a good place.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #753
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

big sam embarks too on the spring long-awaited european tour.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #754
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Make them play all yr around
I only get 6 weeks off so should they or get a proper job

They can come around and do my garden/windows when they not playing
If they can cook that's an added bonus
Lastly they can Hoover/clean up around my place

Tickets available for those who wish to watch thru window
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #755
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you think the French Open, Wimbledon & US Open are too close together?

To me it would make more sense to have a good decent hardcourt season, culminating in the Australian Open in January or February.

They have the clay season more or less alright, but I feel it merges into Wimbledon too quickly, and with the surface similarity these days, it allows those who do well in the clay part of the season to ride in their confidence to Wimbledon almost straight away.

Why not have a good grass season culminating in Wimbledon in August or so, then a summer hardcourt swing with the US Open in October/November, then a condensed but decent carper/indoor season culminating in the YEC, say middle-late December. Then a few weeks offseason.

I think the way it is has its benefits, but also it's detractions. For example, the way it is, if a player picks up a moderate injury in April or may, thats basically his GS chances buggered for the rest of the year. As the other 3 slams are within less than 4 months of each other.

If a player picks up even a minor 1-2 week injury in late May, that can be their whole Wimledon chances in jeprody.

Finally, momentium is gained the way the game is now. A player only has to be good for like 3 months of the year like Nadal was in 2010 and they win 3 slams.

I think it would bring back so much surface versatility, variety into the game. Not this one man dominance, be it Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic. Theres only ever one man dominating tennis anymore and I think the schedule has a lot to do with it.

Tennis authorities are far too steeped in tradition. The schedules were invented when tennis was a precision game of serve and volley. Now its a war of attrition, and fitness and burnout are so much more a case now. They need to wake up and realise this. Dont let players whole season go down the tubes because they get a 2-3 month injury. Thats not fair. Its no wonder players cant win slams after their mid to late twenties, and its only going to get worse I think.

What are your thoughts? I know it will never happen, tradition, time zones, other sports etc. But wouldnt it be nice. Or is it fine the way it is?

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #756
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the French Open, Wimbledon & US Open are too close together?

I think they are too close.

Maybe moving Wimbledon to China would make them more... evenly spread out?

Would also give Andy Murray a chance of winning.
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #757
country flag Ajk822

Ajk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the French Open, Wimbledon & US Open are too close together?

I like where the Australian Open is actually. Feels like a good start to the season. I think what needs to happen though is moving the French Open up. Move it forward a month and suddenly it all feels less rushed. Cut short the spring hard court season, keep clay season the same length, then add in a Grass 500 and a Grass Masters, and done. Australian end of January/February, French in April, Wimbledon where it is now, US Open where it is now.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #758
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
I think they are too close.

Maybe moving Wimbledon to China would make them more... evenly spread out?

Would also give Andy Murray a chance of winning.

Is that a joke? China should never ever have a GS tournament.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #759
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is you have too many of these pointless 250 events cluttering up the calendar. It's good for the guys who need some ranking points, but I cannot understand why you have a bunch of mickey mouse clay tournaments for a month after Wimbledon, yet all grass season gets are two weeks of a warm up directly after a clay slam.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #760
country flag Mental Giant

Mental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond reputeMental Giant has a reputation beyond repute

They need to space out the masters events so they are more important instead of back to back then 2 weeks until a slam makes them irrelevant.
Mental Giant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #761
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

French Open and Wimbledon yes, another week of grass tennis (maybe a TMS) should solve the issue

Wimbledon and US Open is fine
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #762
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mess with it too much. Maybe bring the French Open forward a little bit, perhaps push the USO back a couple of weeks.

It's not really a problem with the majors. The Tour is just too crowded. You have 4 Grand Slams, 9 Masters Series and 1 World Tour Finals, plus minimum 1 lower-level warmup tournament for each Slam - that's minimum 22 weeks a year of elite competition for the top ten that is essentially mandatory, most of which is crammed into the northern hemisphere summer. That's even before you consider Davis Cup and the rest of the Tour. I mean seriously - no wonder nobody plays doubles any more and every second player's body falls apart after 25.

Unfortunately the European claycourt season and the North American hardcourt season are where all the money is, so the ATP will keep cramming too many tournaments into the most opportune time of year for those circuits. If Wimbledon wasn't so historic it would have been eliminated or moved long ago to make more time for dirtball and American big-money invitationals.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #763
country flag The Magician
Banned!

The Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond repute

French Open in South America, maybe Argentina or Brazil or another country with a history of great clay tennis players, seems like a nice idea. Obviously they would have to move the calendar around a lot but I think tennis will eventually have to a major overhaul of the calendar once all the doping gets found out and the guys can't physically play a full season and FO/W double anymore.

This would ruin the RG/W double but that's already been ruined along with most historical records. I think the clay season needs to be overhauled in general and some sort of grass season created.
The Magician is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #764
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there should be a additional week between RG and Wimbledon, and I agree placing a MS event would be a nice idea.
So, for me, calendar could look like this:

w1:Queens/Halle
w2:M1000
w3: Hertogenbosch/Eastbourne

It's the best possible configuration for top players to rest for a week after RG, then play a warm-up Masters and have a week off to prepare for Wimbledon.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #765
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it. Why would the French Open move outside of France? Why would Wimbledon be held anywhere but Wimbledon?!

I voted 'no' but I think it won't hurt to have a longer grass season. As it stands the "season" is a joke: it's way too short (especially compared to the two legs of hard court seasons) and we don't even have a Masters tournament on grass. But the USO is in a nice slot on the calendar - there's enough of a gap between Wimbledon and the USO to avoid a Grand Slam overkill.
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote