ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #61
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHOULD SOME CLAY COURT TOURNAMENTS BE TAKEN FROM ATP SCHEDULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
If not more grass events (natural factor) can be installed, there are still not enough to guarantee the best possible and fairest balance between the remaining three: clay, indoor, hardcourt
Considering as TBE if the grass/indoor events in number were combined, then that would balance out.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #62
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore
Once again, I agree with George.

OK...you can of course correct me if I'm getting the wrong impression but I think that some of you let your rather negative and condescending opinion on the clay surface stand in the way of the facts.
There is for sure an element of that, but as I posted earlier with that breakdown of events especially the major ones, it would be easier to do well on faster surfaces and a lot of the time, players can chose clay or something else, and the times when they can't chose to play on clay, they are balanced out by the end of the season indoor events, 2 hardcourt swings.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #63
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
- The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than clay.
The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than hardcourt, too. (or grass, or indoor).

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:02 PM   #64
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than hardcourt, too. (or grass, or indoor).
Acapulco, Barcelona, Kitzbhuel and Stuttgart are the only ISG events on clay thank you very much.

Memphis, Rotterdam, Dubai, Tokyo and Vienna are ISG events, therefore forming the majority.

4 out of 14 of the biggest events on clay, so there is a real bias to those events.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 07-13-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #65
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Incorrect Kitzbhuel and Stuttgart are the only ISG events on clay thank you very much.
you missed Barcelona
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #66
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
you missed Barcelona
Yes, I just realised that, but I think the point has been proven though about the so-called clay bias.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #67
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Acapulco, Barcelona, Kitzbhuel and Stuttgart are the only ISG events on clay thank you very much.
that's right and good to see that you added Acapulco and Barcelona also

Quote:
Memphis, Rotterdam, Dubai, Tokyo and Vienna are ISG events, therefore forming the majority.
If you read closely I said "The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than hardcourt, too." (or grass, or indoor)"

And this still stands as 100% correct because out of your listed ISG events only two are played on hardcourt which is not the majority (out of 9 total ISG events), therefore making my statement correct.

With 3 of 9 ISG events played indoor, they also form not the majority. Again it serves my statement right.

And we have no ISG events on grass, again it makes my statement right.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 07-13-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #68
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
If you read closely I said "The majority of ISG events are on surfaces other than hardcourt, too." (or grass, or indoor)"
A hardcourt is still a hardcourt, outdoors or indoors.

Quote:
And this still stands as 100% correct because out of your listed ISG events only two are played on hardcourt which is not the majority (out of 9 total ISG events), therefore making my statement correct.

With 3 of 9 ISG events played indoor, they also form not the majority. Again it serves my statement right.

And we have no ISG events on grass, again it makes my statement right.
If Vienna and Tokyo were played on carpet, then that would be the case, but they are played on a hardcourt indoors, which is still a hardcourt so therefore that is 5 events. There is not a surface called indoors, is there?

Only the last paragraph is absolutely correct.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #69
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
When writing that, why should I have bothered to include "hardcourt" and "indoor" in this sentence if I didn't want to differentiate between outdoor hardcourt and indoor hardcourt.

But just for you, I will write "outdoor hardcourt" next time to prevent this misunderstanding although I have already indicated that with my indoor category.

"Indoor" is indoor, no matter if carpet of hardcourt.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #70
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
When writing that, why should I have bothered to include "hardcourt" and "indoor" in this sentence if I didn't want to differentiate between outdoor hardcourt and indoor hardcourt.

But just for you, I will write "outdoor hardcourt" next time to prevent this misunderstanding although I have already indicated that with my indoor category.

"Indoor" is indoor, no matter if carpet of hardcourt.
Ok, the DC final last year was played indoors on clay, we agree on that? Yes, it was indoors, but what was the surface it was clay and nothing else and the same principle is here.

It's still a hardcourt, whether it's indoors or not.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #71
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see some more indoor carpet events come back on tour. For all the people on this board who have been following the sport for a while, players used to feast on all the indoor events. I liked those events.

Quote:
And to answer the question posed by the creator of the thread: yes. Get rid of ALL the clay events and instead build a court in which every square foot is comprised of a different surface. You could try experimenting with everything from granite to marble, linoleum, a bear rug, er, plastecene, fiberglass, banana skins, leather and perhaps a couple of dildos used as netposts to go with the female reproductive organ that you mentioned.
LOL! ^
NYCtennisfan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #72
country flag DanEd

DanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond reputeDanEd has a reputation beyond repute

The master cup (the last tournament of the year) is always played on a fast court, never on clay
DanEd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #73
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEd
The master cup (the last tournament of the year) is always played on a fast court, never on clay
Indoor clay is not clay.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #74
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Ok, the DC final last year was played indoors on clay, we agree on that? Yes, it was indoors, but what was the surface it was clay and nothing else and the same principle is here.

It's still a hardcourt, whether it's indoors or not.
Don't come with Davis Cup now. If there was regular indoor grass or indoor clay events on Tour I wouldn't have put it that way, but they don't exist and Davis Cup is not relevant for our matter here.

When putting the "Indoor" category I was referring to the ordinary ATP Tour events, especially those we were discussing about, ISG.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #75
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Indoor clay is not clay.
Lets clarify that when clay becomes part of the ATP indoor season I was referring to in this discussion and comparison. But it isn't and it never played a role in my earlier postt when I was referring to the indoor season play.