ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 48 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #706
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

^ thumbs up for serious suggestion (and your english is just fine). I like some of your ideas but my biggest objection is

Killing Bercy in the indoor season! u mad? That is like the best indoor tournament with such tradition. Maybe downgrade it to a 500 or so. But killing it? I was with you until then.

Otherwise some good suggestions even though they might not be realistic. I would also like a season something like that. A grass masters, the indoor getting some more love etc
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #707
country flag yesh222

yesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond repute

The ATP has no control over the Slams and there is no reason to believe right now that the FO or Wimby would be willing to move to extend the grass court season.
yesh222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #708
country flag Globetrotter

Globetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
^ thumbs up for serious suggestion (and your english is just fine). I like some of your ideas but my biggest objection is

Killing Bercy in the indoor season! u mad? That is like the best indoor tournament with such tradition. Maybe downgrade it to a 500 or so. But killing it? I was with you until then.
Thanks man, I also thought about making Bercy a 500, but I just couldn't find a spot for it. Indoor season is damn short and I didn't want to kill Rotterdam, Basel or Moscow or extent the season by a week. But you really have a point here, maybe Rotterdam/Basel could be made a combined event (just like Montreal/Toronto) or something like that. Thanks for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesh222 View Post
The ATP has no control over the Slams and there is no reason to believe right now that the FO or Wimby would be willing to move to extend the grass court season.
Yeah, I was aware of that as well. Thing is, almost everybody wants a bigger grass court season and moving RG one week up doesn't seem to cause major harm to me. I mean, it's only one week and as far as I'm concerned, FO are also not played during school holidays or something (like AO), so I think this is the most realistic slam to move one week, even if it would be tough to make them move, you're right.
Globetrotter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #709
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Rough schedule for the GS, TMS and YEC.

January

TMS - Shanghai (Hard)
GS - Australia (Hard)

February
GS - Australia (Still Hard)

March

TMS - Buenos Aires (Clay)

April

TMS - Madrid (Clay)
TMS - Rome (Clay)

May

GS - Paris (Clay)

June

GS - London (Grass)

July

TMS - Hamburg (Grass)
TMS - Canada (Hard)

August

TMS - Cinci (Hard)
GS - New York (Harder)

September

TMS - Somewhere in the USofA (Indoor carpet)

October

YEC - Rotatin location (Indoor carpet)

Hard - 3 TMS, 2 GS
Clay - 3 TMS, 1 GS
Grass - 1 TMS, 1 GS
Carpet - 1 TMS, YEC

Europe - 5 events
North America - 5 events
Asia Oceania 2 events
South America - 1 event

~3 months off

Just get rid of Indian Wells and Miami and start the clay earlier and the schedule problems are pretty easy to solve.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #710
country flag Globetrotter

Globetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond reputeGlobetrotter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Just get rid of Indian Wells and Miami and start the clay earlier and the schedule problems are pretty easy to solve.
I get your point here, but imho that's not going to happen. IW and Miami guarantee the ATP a shitload of money every year, they are two of the biggest and therefore two of the most powerful tournaments. I don't think it's likely the ATP is gonna remove them in the near future, cutting them down to 64 players would already be a huge improvement in my opinion.
Globetrotter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #711
country flag hiperborejac

hiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond reputehiperborejac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
I get your point here, but imho that's not going to happen. IW and Miami guarantee the ATP a shitload of money every year, they are two of the biggest and therefore two of the most powerful tournaments. I don't think it's likely the ATP is gonna remove them in the near future, cutting them down to 64 players would already be a huge improvement in my opinion.
I agree with you here - they should cut draw to 64 and play 1 week instead of 2: that gives us 2 weeks free for other tournaments or shorter season. Also they should separate Atp and Wta events the way it's done in Cincy - Canada.
hiperborejac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #712
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The schedule will always be shit and to anyone with a gram of common sense shouldn't have back to back TMS events or ones with 96 player draws.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #713
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Rough schedule for the GS, TMS and YEC.

January

TMS - Shanghai (Hard)
GS - Australia (Hard)

February
GS - Australia (Still Hard)

March

TMS - Buenos Aires (Clay)

April

TMS - Madrid (Clay)
TMS - Rome (Clay)

May
IF you are going to put a TMS in South America, which is good idea. You do not take away the best master series tournament there is.

Getting rid of Miami is a good idea though.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #714
country flag GrantOz44

GrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond reputeGrantOz44 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with taking down Miami or Indian Wells, because as has been said, they are a lucrative pair of tournamentst for the ATP. Yes I would also love to see at least one of the tournaments (preferably Miami) have a reduced draw size. Maybe 64 players instead. Playing back to back tournaments with draw sizes of 96 or more is a killer for players, but if it makes money and the fans love it then it isn't going to change anytime soon. I like the idea of a South American Clay-court masters. Although there isn't an argument yet for an African one, hopefully there is within about the next 25 years.

My biggest issue is the length of the grass court season, like so many other people. No, I'm not a clay-court hater, but I just believe the traditional surface that led to this modern game of ours deserves far more recognition. It's almost pathetic how everyone says that Wimbledon is the greatest Grand Slam (which it is), yet it's played on a surface with hardly any playtime throughout the season. In that sense it's almost like a novelty, isn't it? I.e. We are playing on grass and this surface makes us feel exclusive and different, therefore the best. I don't think Wimbledon is the greatest because of the surface, but because of the history. But I'm sure many people see it as I said above. Perhaps 'novelty' is a touch too harsh, but you see where I'm getting at...

GrantOz44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #715
country flag interruptus25

interruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond repute

Atp Calendar is almost fine, like it is now.
Some people don´t understand that the players don´t want to be away for more than 4-5 weeks in a row, from their respective continents. So it doesn´t make sense to schedule for example the Asian swing right after the AO. Players wouldn´t agree with it. The only small correcture that should be made is to reduce IW or Miami by 1 week and to extend the grass season by one week, with the possible inclusion of a 500/MS1000 tournament.
interruptus25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #716
country flag .-Federers_Mate-.
Banned!

.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by interruptus25 View Post
Atp Calendar is almost fine, like it is now.
Some people don´t understand that the players don´t want to be away for more than 4-5 weeks in a row, from their respective continents. So it doesn´t make sense to schedule for example the Asian swing right after the AO. Players wouldn´t agree with it. The only small correcture that should be made is to reduce IW or Miami by 1 week and to extend the grass season by one week, with the possible inclusion of a 500/MS1000 tournament.
Grass season doesn't need to be extended. If it does it's charm is gone.
.-Federers_Mate-. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #717
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default tommyg6's opinions

-Ireland should have an ATP 250 event, and should be on grass
-Grass season should be at least 2 months long
-Clay court season is too long (obvious one)
-They should have wood court surface ATP 250 event, a wood season (i don't think care what you ppl think)
-Speed up Wimbledon 10x fold to prevent baseliners like Hewitt and Nadal dominating a traditionally favored serve and volley event)
-TMS Canada should be a grass court event
-Queens should be a Tennis Masters event
-Change the schedule of Queens so it doesn't start immediately after Roland Garros.
-TMS Cincinatti should be downgraded to a 250 event.
-There should be an ATP 250 event in Vancouver and Montreal, so 3 atp events in Canada. 2 grass and 1 hard.
-Speed up TMS Miami and Indian Wells 20x.
-Speed up every hard court event to prevent guys like Nadal win events he's not supposed to win.
-the only reason why Nadal wins events like the US Open, Wimbledon and every other supposed fast surface is all because they all have been slowed to clay court speed. The ATP Tour caters to Nadal and every other baseliner mug. We all know damn well if the supposed fast surface tournaments played at the speeds they were supposed to be at, then guys like Hewitt and Nadal wouldn't have won Wimbledon and thus Roger Federer would've had a few more slams in his trophy case.

Also, my favorite players
Nole
Feds
Raonic + all canadian players
Soderling
Sampras
Ivanisevic
Rafter
Becker
Llodra
Grosjean
Henman + all serve and volleyers for the past 30 years
Becker

Players I don't like,
Rafa
A-Rod + all american players
Hewitt
Nalbandian

Last edited by tommyg6 : 06-25-2011 at 06:20 AM.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #718
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tommyg6's opinions

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #719
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Best thread ever.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #720
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that mate, I agree there definitely should be a wood season... how has this not been discussed by the powers at be yet..? The ATP president is standing down at the end of the season, I think we've found our replacement right here.. like a fricken g6...

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote