ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 46 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #676
country flag .-Federers_Mate-.
Banned!

.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Because in its rich tradition, it was always played on outdoor hardcourts right?
Do you watch the AO?. It's not about the tradition here. You wouldnt understand becuase you have never experienced it live.
.-Federers_Mate-. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #677
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Real tennis and tennis aren't the same sport.
Neither are humans and apes the same animal, yet obviously one evolved from the other and clearly we retain all the aspects from our ancestors and more. Plus without indoors, our beloved John McEnroe wouldn't have his 71 or whatever match winning streak on indoor carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-Federers_Mate-. View Post
Do you watch the AO?. It's not about the tradition here. You wouldnt understand becuase you have never experienced it live.
Yeah, putting a roof on, which center court already has, will kill the spirit of the tournament!

Again, I don't see why one needs to complain, we are merely discussing our ideas. Its almost as if you believe I have to keys to magically change the ATP right now, and you're begging me not to.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #678
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Neither are humans and apes the same animal, yet obviously one evolved from the other and clearly we retain all the aspects from our ancestors and more. Plus without indoors, our beloved John McEnroe wouldn't have his 71 or whatever winning streak on indoor carpet.
Indoor Slam isn't happening, tennis indoors has its place and there are enough of these events as it is. AO, Wimbledon and RG soon enough will have that element to help the top guys get through their matches.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #679
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, putting a roof on, which center court already has, will kill the spirit of the tournament!
It's one thing to have retractable roof over one so you get at least the TV matches done, and wholly another to build 20+ courts with roofs.

And who the hell is going to go sit in a sweaty hall when it's summer day outside? Idea of the indoors tennis is that it's played when you can't play outside.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #680
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
It's one thing to have retractable roof over one so you get at least the TV matches done, and wholly another to build 20+ courts with roofs.

And who the hell is going to go sit in a sweaty hall when it's summer day outside? Idea of the indoors tennis is that it's played when you can't play outside.
If I remember correctly, the roof was in fact created to continue with play in both rain and extreme heat.

Being in Arizona, when it is 120+ degree weather and I know I'm going to be playing 4-6 hours, I don't take my chances and I go to the local indoor club.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #681
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Green clay that won't be coming back any time soon, though for a change it wouldn't be a bad thing.
Houston went back to Har-Tru...it's a start
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #682
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Houston went back to Har-Tru...it's a start
Personally I am not a fan of the surface, but we need some more surface variation.

Yes, playing the Stockholm Open outside in October would be entertaining, there are reasons that the Slams are played in summer.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #683
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

IW and Miami are never going away. They bring in huge crowds (I believe IW has the largest attendance behind the slams). They're combined events now. I agree that they lead to nothing, but the same can be said for Dubai, Rotterdam and Marseille.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #684
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-Federers_Mate-. View Post
Miami and Indian wells are fantastic events and need to be kept. They are fine where they are, they give fans a look at top players form after the AO.

Indain wells in a fantastic event. The tourney is fan friendly, all the players practice in open spaces. The whole feel of the tourney is very relaxed and i like it it. Miami is very imporatnt. It has a big tourney feel, crowds are big, same feel as Indian wells, and Miami is a great city. It gives off that whole chill/beachvibe which i love. The tourney is very fan friendly aswel. Both these tourneys are fin the way the are. For these reasons and many others. The players love coming to Florida and California as well. They are for me the best masters series to watch along with these indoor ones.

i agree that the Sa tourneys need to stay as clay and where they are.
The one in argie land and in mexico are class, i like the whole vibe they give off. Cant be bothered explaining other reasons

Players get to chose between hard and clay. So all the clay guys go to Southamerica and all the hard courters go to the US or euorpe. Its a nice contrast and gives us the viewers a choice (same for players)

Season should kept the way it is, expect Auckland should be a 1000
I understand why some might question IW and Miami as they each take up 2 weeks on the calendar and don't lead to anything. But all the big names show up and they are well attended, unlike some of the events in Asia and Middle East. Total attendance at IW this year was 339,657, which is a record for the event. Same with Miami - 312,386 total attendance, a record for that event.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #685
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
I understand why some might question IW and Miami as they each take up 2 weeks on the calendar and don't lead to anything. But all the big names show up and they are well attended, unlike some of the events in Asia and Middle East. Total attendance at IW this year was 339,657, which is a record for the event. Same with Miami - 312,386 total attendance, a record for that event.
Doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous the two of them take the same time as two slams
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #686
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
Doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous the two of them take the same time as two slams
If it's so ridiculous the players should just not show up. But I don't hear many complaining about them. Miami has consistantly been voted top tournament by the players (last year Shanghai got the nod). Obviously the players don't dislike these events as much as some here do. And as long as they're drawing record crowds they'll continue as they are - a two week combined ATP/WTA event.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #687
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Who in their right mind would expect players not to show up at all just to demonstrate they think it's ridiculous each takes two weeks? You think it's perfectly fine and that's not the first place they need to look if they want to shorten the season by a week or two?
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #688
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
They should be one week events, and put a MM in the middle so they aren't back to back.

Of course it's ridiculous, just an effort to make them feel good that it's a pseudo Slam and players have complained about the time they take to play, not the actual conditions at the event.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #689
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not just the ATP, it also comes down to tournament organizers as well.

You are incorrect. Australian Open offered slightly larger prize money purse this year than USO, and same appears to be true next year:

The Australian Open 2011 will offer a record prize money of about 24 million U.S. dollars, the organizers announced in Melbourne on Tuesday, making it the current biggest purse among the tennis grand slams.

According to the news released by the organizers, the prize pool of 25 million Australian dollars which on the current exchange rate would be the highest in the 105-year history of the event.

Both the men's and women's singles champions will take home 2.2 million Australian dollars, while each runner-up will be offered 1. 1 million.

The total prize money for this year's Wimbledon Open and French Open was 21.7 million and 22.1 million U.S. dollars respectively, at the current exchange rates, while the US Open was 22.6 million.
You're right.

This year the men got A$11million at the AO and US$10.5million at the USO according to the ATP.

A$ is almost 1:1 against US$ right now. I forgot how strong the Australian Dollar is these days. Amazing.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #690
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Ranked in order of 2010 men's prize money at the latest exchange rates:

1. Australian Open A$11.05million ($10.83million)
2. US Open $10.51million
3. Roland Garros €7.58million ($10.46million)
4. Wimbledon Ł6.2million ($9.86million)

Never thought Wimbledon would ever be bottom of the list. Goes to show how much the British Pound has been pounded to the ground.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote