ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 43 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #631
country flag Blackbriar
Banned!

Blackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

Sydney should be ATP 500; Halle/London should be ATP 500
Blackbriar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #632
country flag christallh24

christallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond reputechristallh24 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what would make a better season calendar, but I know I'd like more grass events. And defintely a longer off season for the players.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

"Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think."--Arthur Schopenhauer
christallh24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #633
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
No. AO is the worst slam by far. Best slams are Wimbledon and RG.
Is that because Nadal always wins them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Fixing is always going to happen, but this time of year it happens quite a bit, along with some other small events earlier in the season, but that's a whole separate issue.

I don't agree about the AO specifically having great tennis, every Slam has their good matches. It's very easy to isolate 1 or 2 examples and think that carries for the majority, when it's not the case.

There are too many events and has been for years. Do you need me to go through the whole fitness base thing? A lot of the lower ranked players, need the cash so they are going to be playing more events, they are the ones that need to rest for a month and then have about 5/6 weeks heavy physical training load for the new season. Then once on tour, it will be about maintenance so they don't overplay, but that has already happened with Kavcic for example earlier in the year and he is on the edge of making it directly to the AO.

The top guys can get away with it, because they are playing less during the year cause their ranking allows them to be more selective when playing events.
Fair enough, I just feel the AO consistently produces the best matches, particulary in the early rounds.

I get your point about having a lower ranking means having to play more to earn a living and to get that ranking up to gain entry into the top events. But isn't that what you are meant to do? These guys are professional athletes, they should have to fight it out on the lower levels in order to gain the right to compete in the best tournaments with the best players. It's not really that bad, certainly not as brutal as some of the players make it out to be.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #634
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-Federers_Mate-. View Post
no its not. Jan is when the people flock melbourne park in the hot Aussie summer and make it the best tourney is the world. The Aussie swing is the best part of the tennis calender and it shall not be removed. Best mm tourneys there e.g brisbane,sydney and Ackland and the best exho e.g Hopman cup.
AO actually offers the best prize money these days, doesn't it? Their attendance has caught up with other Slams.

It would be great if the lead-in season would be little longer, but changes are difficult ot impossible to implement...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #635
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ricci Bitti is an arse clown of the highest order. Got to say I'm impressed with the rope comment, but tennis doesn't have competent people in charge of their game. Sure they aren't as bad as FIFA, but they can't get away with like those clowns cause of the status of tennis.
It is worth noting that ATP Tour was founded pretty much as a rebellion against the Grand Slams, which were viewed as hogging too much money. If you look at the prize money development of the Grand Prix circuit in the late '80s, it's pretty sad. I guess it's ironic that after 20 years, things are going back to that again.

Calendar does have issues, but they are difficult to fix. One of the main dilemma is that much of the prize money comes from Asia nowadays, but events there are not well estabilished and have poor attendances. You have to squeeze the Asian swing somewhere, but where. It would be ideal if they could be played before Australian Open, but how do you do that? What some fans propose - essentially give cold shoulder to Asia and concentrate on European clay/grass and US hardcourt seasons is not realistic. Sport needs broad, international appeal to survive: otherwise it will end up like LPGA.

It would be best if ITF, ATP and WTA could be merged to one organization which takes care of everything - GS, pro tours, Davis Cup, development series, juniors etc. But obviously this will never happen.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #636
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
It is worth noting that ATP Tour was founded pretty much as a rebellion against the Grand Slams, which were viewed as hogging too much money. If you look at the prize money development of the Grand Prix circuit in the late '80s, it's pretty sad. I guess it's ironic that after 20 years, things are going back to that again.
Isn't that always the way, they become the thing that they hate or what they were fighting against initially.

Quote:
Calendar does have issues, but they are difficult to fix. One of the main dilemma is that much of the prize money comes from Asia nowadays, but events there are not well estabilished and have poor attendances. You have to squeeze the Asian swing somewhere, but where. It would be ideal if they could be played before Australian Open, but how do you do that? What some fans propose - essentially give cold shoulder to Asia and concentrate on European clay/grass and US hardcourt seasons is not realistic. Sport needs broad, international appeal to survive: otherwise it will end up like LPGA.
Ideally that would be the place to do it, but the ATP aren't very smart when it comes to niche marketing because the facts are that it is a niche sport and these Asian events won't get much better, as there is a lack of accessibility for most people.

Quote:
It would be best if ITF, ATP and WTA could be merged to one organization which takes care of everything - GS, pro tours, Davis Cup, development series, juniors etc. But obviously this will never happen.
That will never happen at all, as for being under one organisation that has advantages and disadvantages, even then there will be some form of discontent.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #637
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Please don't listen Mjau, this individual has no clue about the history of the sport at all and why certain things have turned out the way they did.

Would you trust someone as competent when they say Safin is a poor mans Söderling?

Next of all the AO moving to January saved the event and turned it in the big money earner it is and the other Slams aren't moving their dates. So with this being the case, then it's easier to end the season in October or early November, as I have already posted in this thread numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTION JACKSON!!!!
-If the season starts in Feb and then finish in November or start it in Jan and finish in October. It would work out to be 40 weeks, 37 included for DC, Slams and ATP tournaments, then the TMC and the Davis Cup final.

- The first 4 weeks would be lead in to the Aus Open with a TMS in the 3rd week, and then once the Aus Open in March is finished. This would include an event in South Africa in the 1st week of the season and Australia is within easy reach from there. That would be 6 weeks of hardcourt/Rebound Ace.

Quote:
it's easier to end the season in October or early November
I said it should end in October. Pay attention.

But a 2 month off-season would still be very short...
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #638
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious....does anyone know how many events are going combined ATP/WTA next year? I would imagine future combined events would impact the schedule as it would require more coordination between ATP and WTA.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #639
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Just curious....does anyone know how many events are going combined ATP/WTA next year? I would imagine future combined events would impact the schedule as it would require more coordination between ATP and WTA.
Not sure, but knowing the WTA as many as possible.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #640
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure, but knowing the WTA as many as possible.
Just googled it - Rome, Canada and Cincy will be combined next year. That brings the total number of combined events to 20. With Canada the men will be in Montreal, women in Toronto same week.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #641
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Just googled it - Rome, Canada and Cincy will be combined next year. That brings the total number of combined events to 20. With Canada the men will be in Montreal, women in Toronto same week.
Parasites.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #642
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Parasites.
Damn right.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #643
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Parasites.

Matt01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #644
country flag spindoctor673

spindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor673 has a reputation beyond repute

RF said, "It’s a smart idea to cut the calendar short without hurting too many tournaments, and I hope that we can reach a good agreement there. I don’t remember the year finishing so late ever. But it’s what it is. I think if the season is long, you have more breaks in the season than you do normally, if you’re smart about it. If you ran after points and tournaments, it’s normal that the season becomes endless." Source: tennisnow.com
He makes such a good point- what sport has an endless season other than tennis. They need some rest so their isn't injuries all the time.
spindoctor673 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #645
Timariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor673 View Post
RF said, "It’s a smart idea to cut the calendar short without hurting too many tournaments, and I hope that we can reach a good agreement there. I don’t remember the year finishing so late ever. But it’s what it is. I think if the season is long, you have more breaks in the season than you do normally, if you’re smart about it. If you ran after points and tournaments, it’s normal that the season becomes endless." Source: tennisnow.com
He makes such a good point- what sport has an endless season other than tennis. They need some rest so their isn't injuries all the time.
YEC is now roughly at the same place it was in the '90s, so the schedule is same as back then, except lighter in tournaments. In the '80s it was played in December, before that it was actually played in January as the calender was so crammed there was no room for it elsewhere! There also used to be two YEC's in the past, one for Grand Prix, one for WCT. When that ended, ITF came up with Grand Slam Cup so again there were two YEC's!