ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #286
country flag buzzy

buzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player union call as injuries mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilver
Wrong. Maintain ranking position is as important to "normal" players as is to the top ones. About they playing in excess due to TMC.........to the hell with the ones that do this.
See my post directly above this one..I never said it wasn't important for "normal" players to maintain rank. But the "normal" players aren't overplaying because they don't play 5 or 6 matches in each tournament. If they were, they'd be top players.
buzzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #287
croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond repute

it'll all about chosing ur schedule wisely. players who play a million events and then complain the season is too long a hiporcites
Old 01-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #288
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Low-ranked players who often face early losses need the opportunity to play more tournaments than the tops. I recall Hewitt saying 5 years ago or so that the one thing he liked most about tennis is that when you lose a match, you have the opportunity to play another tournament the following week and win matches again. Take guys like Serra, C. Rochus, Sanguinetti and Srichaphan who played 30+ tournaments last year - I'm pretty sure they would disagree with Roddick. If it wasn't for the extensive schedule, they wouldn't be on the top 50 by now. Then one may say that if the calendar wasn't so long, these players wouldn't have to play as much to keep up with the tops - bullshit. If everyone was allowed to play a maximum number of, say, 20 tournaments, all the players would play the same number of tournaments and the guys ranked below the top 20 would be making much less money than they are now, as well as having an immense difficulty to climb up the rankings without being allowed to make full use of their physical ability, the one that they work so hard at practice time to reach.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #289
country flag peteslamz

peteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond reputepeteslamz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Blues
Low-ranked players who often face early losses need the opportunity to play more tournaments than the tops. I recall Hewitt saying 5 years ago or so that the one thing he liked most about tennis is that when you lose a match, you have the opportunity to play another tournament the following week and win matches again. Take guys like Serra, C. Rochus, Sanguinetti and Srichaphan who played 30+ tournaments last year - I'm pretty sure they would disagree with Roddick. If it wasn't for the extensive schedule, they wouldn't be on the top 50 by now. Then one may say that if the calendar wasn't so long, these players wouldn't have to play as much to keep up with the tops - bullshit. If everyone was allowed to play a maximum number of, say, 20 tournaments, all the players would play the same number of tournaments and the guys ranked below the top 20 would be making much less money than they are now, as well as having an immense difficulty to climb up the rankings without being allowed to make full use of their physical ability, the one that they work so hard at practice time to reach.

Totally agree with this.

“Nothing scares me. On second thought, I hate dentists. I fear dentists. You want to know how many cavities I have? Don’t embarrass me. Going to the dentist for me is worse than playing Fabrice Santoro.” - Marat Safin
peteslamz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #290
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
One who doesn't buy this argument is the tournament director of the Classic (and formerly the Open), Colin Stubs. Back in the 1960s, he was a circuit player himself, taking on the likes of Rod Laver. It is possible, Stubs says, that modern tennis is a bit more demanding because of advances in equipment, but players can pick and choose their events.

In contrast, his memory of life on tour 40-odd years ago was "getting on a boat in February and coming back here late in October. In between you'd play week in, week out. I can't remember taking a week off. There was no money in the game, so you had to play to get by. And that meant playing singles, doubles and mixed. Sometimes two matches a day."

The difference, says Stubs, is modern court surfaces. In the '60s all of the major tournaments apart from the French Open were played on grass. Now Wimbledon is the only one sticking to the green, green grass of home — much easier on players' joints.

Injuries are nothing new. "Players got injuries in my day," Stubs recalls, "though perhaps not the debilitating ones of today."
I agree with this Colin Stubs. I think some of the hard court tournaments could be replaced with grass court tournaments. We have too many hard court events and they seem to be causing many of the injuries. I don't think removing tournaments from the calendar is a solution.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #291
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
I agree with this Colin Stubs. I think some of the hard court tournaments could be replaced with grass court tournaments. We have too many hard court events and they seem to be causing many of the injuries. I don't think removing tournaments from the calendar is a solution.
Seems the focus is more on the season rather than changes in the game in terms of technology and surfaces. I mean were guys 10-15+ years ago returning 140MPH serves and clocking 100MPH forehands? The game has been slowed down, there are fewer serve/volley players, longer rallies and guys are hitting the ball harder than ever. How many of the top players who are injured are really injured because of the gruelling season? Nadal maybe? Safin didn't play that much this year. Agassi latest injury came off-court from playing racquetball. Roger and Andy have played a lot over the last three years, going deep in a lot of tournaments and neither one of them have sustained a serious injury.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #292
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

quite hilarious that the next generation of players now are calling for a Players Union when it was their previous lot who broke away by their own GREED and set up the ATP Tour.

What goes around, comes around.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #293
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

A Player's Union will not happen, because the incentives are not aligned. Tennis is an individual game and the players have different preferences, so it is hard to get a body who represents their collective interests. Suppose on the contrary that such a body existed. How would it operate? Why would tournament directors, sponsors and media take them seriously? I don't see what bargaining power players have, so it is up to them individually to pursue a schedule that fits them.
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #294
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That would be good but it is not happening any time soon. The maintenance of grass courts carries higher fixed costs than cement or clay and the aesthetic pleasure of grass court tennis is not good enough to induce the tour to adopt more grass court play.
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #295
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton
That would be good but it is not happening any time soon. The maintenance of grass courts carries higher fixed costs than cement or clay and the aesthetic pleasure of grass court tennis is not good enough to induce the tour to adopt more grass court play.
Thanks for stating the obvious, but don't expect people to understand an explanation with that much clarity.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #296
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

As I showed in my first post, AMS Hamburg could be switched from clay to grass and one of the other Masters Series could be switched to clay.

I believe there should be about 4 hard, 3 clay, 1 carpet and 1 grass AMS events.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #297
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As I showed in my first post, AMS Hamburg could be switched from clay to grass and one of the other Masters Series could be switched to clay.
It doesn't make any more logisitcal sense now to do that to Hamburg.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #298
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

My proposed calendar:

February
1 - Optional events (hard court)
2 - AMS in Australia (hard court)
3 - Optional events (hard court)
4 - Australian Open (hard court)
March
1 - Australian Open (hard court)
2 - DAVIS CUP
3 - AMS in North America (hard court)
4 - optional events (hard court)
April
1 - AMS in North America (hard court)
2 - optional events (clay)
3 - optional events (clay)
4 - AMS in South America (clay)
May
1 - optional events (clay)
2 - AMS in Europe (clay)
3 - optional events (clay
4 - Roland Garros (clay)
June
1 - Roland Garros (clay)
2 - optional events (grass)
3 - AMS in Europe (grass)
4 - optional events (grass)
July
1 - Wimbledon (grass)
2 - Wimbledon (grass)
3 - DAVIS CUP
4 - optional events (hard court)
August
1 - AMS in North America (hard court)
2 - optional events (hard court)
3 - US Open (hard court)
4 - US Open (hard court)
September
1 - DAVIS CUP
2 - optional events (indoor)
3 - optional events (indoor)
4 - AMS in Asia (indoor)
October
1 - optional events (indoor)
2 - AMS in Europe (indoor)
3 - optional events (clay)
4 - optional events (clay)
November
1 - Nothing
2 - Tennis Masters Cup
3 - Nothing
4 - DAVIS CUP

I'm sure there are many reasons why this calendar is preposterous.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #299
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

I've said this before but: there are no facilities to hold TMS event on grass, other than Wimbledon. Queen's Club is the biggest, it does have 56-draw, but I've heard it's pretty austere and wouldn't fullfill requirements for Masters Series Event. It would take massive investment to have such venue.

I've also understood that moving AO and Wimbledon forward in the schedule has the risk of running into more unfriendly weather.
Timariot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #300
country flag ZackBusner

ZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond reputeZackBusner has a reputation beyond repute

ATP Europe chairman Horst Klosterkemper just was interviewed in German TV after the Davis Cup in Düsseldorf. He said that Hamburg won't be held in May any longer but in summer when it's warmer in northern Germany. He didn't say from which year on and if Hamburg still be played on clay and/or if it still will be an AMS event.
ZackBusner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote