ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #241
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for a schedule change? L'Equipe's ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarillo
why AMS Finals only for 3 sets?
why to kill the spectacle???, the most exciting matches this year have been in AMS Finals with marathon matches in Miami, Madrid and Rome !
for playing 2 hours more 3 days in a year you won't be more tired at the ned of the season !!!!
It's not the five sets that made them exciting but Rafa's presence and performance in them
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #242
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for a schedule change? L'Equipe's ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarillo
why AMS Finals only for 3 sets?
why to kill the spectacle???, the most exciting matches this year have been in AMS Finals with marathon matches in Miami, Madrid and Rome !
for playing 2 hours more 3 days in a year you won't be more tired at the ned of the season !!!!
Nah! some people think change is good for change sakes and the alternative isn't any better, there isn't a problem with a best of 5 TMS finals.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #243
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Player union call as injuries mount, scheduling issues

Player union call as injuries mount

By Linda Pearce
January 12, 2006

ROGER Federer believes the solution to the injury epidemic sweeping men's tennis lies with player schedules rather than a calendar overhaul, as defending champion Marat Safin yesterday joined world No.2 Rafael Nadal and four-time winner Andre Agassi among the Australian Open withdrawals.

In contrast, world No.3 Andy Roddick suggested the establishment of an independent player body, while urging the sport's disparate groups to find a way to extend the off-season because "something needs to be done in the best interests of players and their health".

Safin, 25, has been bothered by tendonitis in his left knee since March, and has not played since reaching the quarter-finals in Cincinatti in August, so confirmation of the Russian's no-show was even less of a surprise that Nadal's announcement late the previous night that he would also be unable to contest the year's first grand slam.

Despite the withdrawals fuelling the debate about the growing demands of the game, Federer said the spate of injuries should be blamed more on coincidence than the 11-month season that officials have been unable to revamp.

"I think it's just unfortunate at the moment," Federer said after yesterday's surprise 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 loss to Germany's Tommy Haas at the AAMI Kooyong Classic. "How often does it happen that half the top guys are injured? It's never really happening, and if you look at the injuries they have, they have been coming for a long time.

"We all think it's the tour in the end. I don't quite agree with it because it's been like this for years and years and years … But I think if you're playing carefully, and you're fit, you shouldn't have too many injuries, because you can always plan if you want to play more or less."

Federer said that although the non-appearances of Safin, Nadal and Agassi were major disappointments for the Open, "we still have good players here with Lleyton (Hewitt), Andy (Roddick) and myself". Roddick, too, lamented the loss of the defending champion, the second-best player of 2005 and "the biggest legend of the game".

While acknowledging injuries can be cyclical, Roddick said tennis was one of the few major sports without a player union. He nevertheless conceded that "for every person that says 'We are not healthy', there's another guy who says, 'Hey, we need those two weeks at the end of the year for prizemoney', so it's kind of tough to get everyone on the same page".

"The ITF (International Tennis Federation), the Davis Cup, the grand slams, they're all different entities and you'd think that they would want to work together for the greater good. But they each want their little slice of the pie and they're not willing to give that up," he said.

"As (with) most things, it comes down to business and dollars and cents as opposed to common logic as to what should be the best for the game. I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why people are getting hurt."

A finalist in three of the past four years, Safin is the first men's champion since Agassi in 2002 to be unable to attempt a title defence. He has been practising with coach his Peter Lundgren in Spain, but — like Agassi, who sprained an ankle in a racquetball accident in October — not sufficiently to prepare for best-of-five-sets tennis in the heat of a Melbourne January.

"I am very sad that I cannot go to the Australian Open to defend my title as champion … In my heart I know I want to be at the Australian Open to try to play but I have had to listen to what Peter, my team and also myself are saying that it would not be right to go to a grand slam and put so much test on my knee right now," he said in a statement.

Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee stood by the strength of the men's draw. "We'll still end up with 46 of the top 50 (in the men's). That's a pretty good number," McNamee said. "We've still got eight out of the top 10 men. That's pretty strong."

Thus, the two men who shared the grand slam spoils with Federer last year, and the only active player to have won all four majors will be missing when the Australian Open starts on Monday. "Obviously it opens the door for a lot of other guys," said Roddick, who will now be seeded second behind Federer, and ahead of Australia's Hewitt.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #244
country flag Federerthebest

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player union call as injuries mount

they should do the sensible thing and remove the clay-season altogether
Federerthebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #245
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerthebest
they should do the sensible thing and remove the clay-season altogether
But seriously, I think it's the hard courts that cause most injuries. Especially the sticky surface they use at the Aus Open.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #246
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Andy said a lot more about it after his first match at Kooyong than is in that article. I'll post it here to add to the discussion
-----------------------
Q: You said late last year you thought the season may be a little too long. With all the injuries next week do you think it might be an idea to move the Australian Open back to March?

A: There's a lot of different scenarios, you could shorten the season at the end last year, you could move the Aussie Open back, there's a lot of things, but I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why people are getting hurt. It's a different game now with the physicality of it, and the players becoming bigger and stronger and points, it's just tougher on the body. I really believe strongly that it's in the best interests of the game to try to come up with a way to give us some sort of an off season to recover. You can't play if your body won't allow you so there needs to be some way, a solution needs to be found to make that happen.

Q: Is there too much hard court pounding

A: You know what, it's different on every surface. You can say the hard court pounds you, the clay court the points are longer so your body is working overtime, the grass court you're bending so your back hurts, so there's a scenario for every one but I don't think even here, it's a rubber surface so it's not a constant pounding, like cement. I don't know if that's the biggest concern as opposed to just the amount of weeks expected of us.

Q: Do you think it's going to be a growing trend that we are going to have to go to the Grand Slams with less of the top players?

A: Obviously I think it's going to come and go; I think it's coincidental that three of the top guys are out, that's obviously not going to happen. Even if you look at the women last year, it was depleted and this year they're strong so it's going to come and go but I just think something needs to be done that's in the best interests of players and their health.

Q: Do you have a preference about what should be done about a longer off season?

A: A preference or idea?

Q: (indistinct).

A: I don't know. It's just someone is going to have to give a little bit. The tournament directors, the ITF, the Davis Cup, the Grand Slams they're all different entities and you'd think that they would want to work together for the greater good but they each want their little slice of the pie and they're not willing to give that up. As most things it comes down to business and dollars and cents as opposed to common logic as to what should be the best for the game. I'm not going to pretend to be informed enough to know what goes on behind the scenes and who is doing what to be proactive as far as this stuff goes, but it seems like a pretty obvious problem now. I don't know what I can do personally to make it happen, other than kind of voice my opinion.

Q: Are the players as a group able to exert some pressure?

A: Well, here's what happens, and it's been talked about before. Exert pressure by talking. I've taken all the proper precautions as far as talking to the leaders that be and I think it is being acknowledged now that it's something that needs to be done but try getting 100 players from this many different countries with language barriers and get them all on the same page at one time, it's not like we're a league, like a basketball league or a football league where we're all under one roof, it's an individual sport. For every person that says we're not healthy there's another guy that says: hey, I needs those two extra weeks at the end of the year for prize money so it's tough to kind of get everyone on the same page.

Q: Do you think it's possible to have it as a league, to unionise it?

A: I would like to see it. We're the only sport out there without a players' rep and we have no one going to business meetings for us and a lot of that doesn't make sense to me but, like I said, I could be talking out of complete ignorance here if I kind of go into that any further.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #247
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

This News Item is on the Yahoo America main news page............I posted it earlier in another thread, but hopefully the mods can delete it

Timing of Australian Open comes under fire

By Julian Linden

SYDNEY, Jan 11 (Reuters) - The timing of the Australian Open came under fire from leading players on Wednesday after more big drawcards pulled out of the first grand slam of the year.

The 2005 champion Marat Safin joined the mounting absentee list when he announced he was not defending his title, just a day after French Open champion Rafael Nadal told organisers he would not be playing in Melbourne.

Safin succumbed to the long-term knee injury that has troubled him since Wimbledon while Nadal withdrew because of a foot problem that has plagued him since the end of last year.

"I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why a lot of people are getting hurt," American Andy Roddick told reporters in Melbourne.

"I believe it's in the best interests of the game for them to come up with an off-season to give us time to recover. You can't play if your body won't allow you. A solution needs to be found."

Safin is the first men's champion not to defend his Australian Open title since Andre Agassi pulled out of the 2002 tournament with a wrist problem.

Agassi, a staunch supporter of the Australian Open when many other top players failed to make the trip Down Under, has also withdrawn from this year's event because of an ankle injury.

Greg Rusedski and Alicia Molik have also pulled out of the Open, starting in Melbourne next week, while several other top players are in doubt.

Safin's sister, Dinara Safina, former world number one Carlos Moya, Sweden's 2002 Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson and Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova all retired from this week's Sydney International because of injuries.

It is not unusual for top players to miss the Australian Open through injuries suffered the previous season but the latest drop-outs have renewed calls to move the tournament to a later date or finish the season earlier.

Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, regarded as one of the fittest men on the professional circuit, agreed with Roddick that the players need a break.

"These are the kind of things that the players, and especially the top players, have been asking been asking for and want a look at for a long time now," Hewitt told a news conference in Sydney. "But nothing still seems to be happening."

BURNOUT FEARS

Fears about player burnout have been around for years but reached new levels last season when the field for the lucrative Masters Cup in November was decimated by injury as Agassi, Roddick, Nadal, Safin and Hewitt all pulled out.

The Davis Cup final, usually held in the first week of December, has also contributed to the problem by reducing the break before the Australian summer season starts in January.

"It's a lot tougher on the top players," Hewitt said. "They're normally the ones playing in the Davis Cup final, two and a half weeks after the Masters Cup.

"You've somehow got to have a couple of weeks off there but there's no way your body can bounce back.

The Australian Open, traditionally held in the last two weeks of January, has often been the big loser.

In the days before easy jet travel, the top players in Europe and the U.S. preferred to stay at home rather than undertake the lengthy journey.

Even now, the top players are regularly missing and the problem is made worse by Australia's scorching summer heat where on-court temperatures often exceed 45 degrees Celcius.

Former world number one Martina Navratilova famously described the Australian Open as dangerous, writing in a newspaper column:

"It could take someone dying before things will change but I firmly believe the Australian Open should be put back a month until at least February."

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #248
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the articles everyone.

I think in the end all these injuries are going to hurt the sport.

I was watching Insiders Tennis on The Tennis Channel in the States, and one of the journalists (sorry can't remember which one) was saying that he felt that the interested in the sport will go down if this continues.

People enjoy supporting a player, and they don't want to follow someone for a year, then major injuries, and they are out of contention afterwards because they can't fully comeback from their injuires.

And since the ATP/ITF don't care about the fans, they do (should) care about the sponsors. Sponsors also don't want to invest in a player just to see their investment dollars wasted because the player is used up in 2-3 years.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #249
country flag Blaze

Blaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond repute

I know shortening the season will concentrate matches and the only way to solve that would be by dropping some tournaments and the tournament directors don't want that.

I was thinking maybe they could spread the season over say 16 - 18 months and allow more offseason
Blaze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #250
country flag athie

athie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond reputeathie has a reputation beyond repute

Not this old chestnut again - many of these injured players do have a choice not to play.
athie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #251
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by athie
Not this old chestnut again - many of these injured players do have a choice not to play.

That´s true.

Honestly, I can´t take Andy seriously anymore. He always says, that the season is too long and the off-season is too short, but then he commits for nearly every tournament that is held in the United States. Just take a look at his schedule for 2006:

Dec. 31 – Jan. 5: Training in Hawaii
Jan. 11: Kooyong in Melbourne, Australia
Jan. 16: Australian Open (1st Grand Slam of 2006)
Feb. 6: Davis Cup
Feb. 13: San Jose, CA: SAP Open
Feb. 20: Memphis: Regions Morgan Keegan Championships
Feb. 27: Las Vegas: The Tennis Channel Open
March 6: Indian Wells: Pacific Life Open
March 20: Miami: Nasdaq 100 Open
April 3: Davis Cup

I think we can also add Houston, because he always plays there (even if he´s totally tired). I can´t picture the tournament directors holding a gun at his head and threatening him to squeeze the trigger if he doesn´t commit to play in their tournaments. It´s up to him where and when he plays and he shouldn´t be surprised if he´s burned out after the French Open.

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award

Last edited by bavaria100 : 01-11-2006 at 10:46 PM.
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #252
country flag lizzieh

lizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100
That´s true.

Honestly, I can´t take Andy serious anymore. He always says, that the season is too long and the off-season is too short, but then he commits for nearly every tournament that is held in the United States. Just take a look at his schedule for 2006:

Dec. 31 – Jan. 5: Training in Hawaii
Jan. 11: Kooyong in Melbourne, Australia
Jan. 16: Australian Open (1st Grand Slam of 2006)
Feb. 6: Davis Cup
Feb. 13: San Jose, CA: SAP Open
Feb. 20: Memphis: Regions Morgan Keegan Championships
Feb. 27: Las Vegas: The Tennis Channel Open
March 6: Indian Wells: Pacific Life Open
March 20: Miami: Nasdaq 100 Open
April 3: Davis Cup

I think we can also add Houston, because he always plays there (even if he´s totally tired). I can´t picture the tournament directors holding a gun at his head and threatening him to squeeze the trigger if he doesn´t commit to play in their tournaments. It´s up to him where and when he plays and he shouldn´t be surprised if he´s burned out after the French Open.
Good point about Andy but a lot of the players do it. I err on the side of Fed in this debate however I do feel like most things there is probably a middle ground to be strived for... mind you... how long has this been going on!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #253
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - where is Andy's schedule any different from the other players? Its the same type of schedule that my other favorites play.

And its not just Andy talking about it - its all the players. But Andy is one of the top players so he gets the microphone more.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #254
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

And, NicoFan, he's honest enough to speak his mind and say what he's thinking. No one said his schedule is perfect. Perhaps there's no gun to his head, but perhaps some of you are also underestimating the pressure put on top players to support the small tourneys in their home countries. Think of what it means to a new tourney like Vegas that's trying to establish a ticket-purchasing base to have Andy play. I'd rather he didn't play Vegas, but it's undeniable that the tourney's future and success will be determined in part by whether he plays, and I'm quite sure he has been informed of this and is reminded of it all the time

For example, Fed played Gstaad right after Wimbledon a few times. Finally he told them he just couldn't play anymore, but do you think he was playing b/c he was dying to play on clay right after wimby? I doubt it. Finally he said no. Maybe Andy's not as good at saying no. Maybe he'll realize that it wasn't smart scheduling and pull out like he did last summer with LA. But considering none of us have played an 11-month season, I think he's in better position than any of us to discuss its ramifications.

So can these players say no to their small home tourneys? Technically, sure. But it's not that easy. Also, i think one of Andy's biggest complaints is the lack of one big chunk of off-season. His playing a lot through the year doesn't really hold much relevance there, considering the AO is in January and TMC is in November/DC final in early December.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #255
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, Roddick usually gets to the final rounds of nearly every tournament he plays, so it's 4 or 5 matches a week, unlike the majority that often faces early losses.

If you want to maintain your top player status, just learn how to plan a wise schedule, like Federer and Hewitt do, and unlike Nadal did for the past year.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote