ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM   #226
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for a schedule change? L'Equipe's ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
Besides, I think some of them are just being cautious ahead of Shanghai.
I think so too. Why keep playing when nothing will change before Shanghai?

We see this every year. When the number one is on the line, the european indoor season heats up, but when it's a lock long before the indoor season, the tournaments aren't as well attended. Remember the year Marat, Sampras, Agassi and Kuerten were all in the running for the number one spot? No one complained about the schedule that year.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #227
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem is not the schedule. The problem is the players commiting to too many tournaments. If they were smarter, they wouldn't get injured. Nobody is forcing Federer and Nadal to play 80+ matches per year.
You do realise Federer has only played 14 tournaments (plus one DC tie) to reach that figure of 80 matches? His injury is not related to over-playing, either.

Nadal has played 21 tournaments. I'm pretty sure he'll cut that down next year.
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #228
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Remember the year Marat, Sampras, Agassi and Kuerten were all in the running for the number one spot? No one complained about the schedule that year.
Hopefully next year both Fed and Rafa will be competing for the no.1 spot at the end of the year. Maybe they can be joined by a fully-fit Marat?
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #229
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
You do realise Federer has only played 14 tournaments (plus one DC tie) to reach that figure of 80 matches? His injury is not related to over-playing, either.

Nadal has played 21 tournaments. I'm pretty sure he'll cut that down next year.
Maybe if Roger is less successful next year he won't have the same physical problems.

JCF had a similar problem in 2003 when his success and his schedule eventually caused his downfall.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 PM   #230
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't MTF do this thread already under a different name?

DC every two years is fine.
Standardized balls is a great idea as well.
Should be a maximum number of tournaments a player can play including optional lower tier events a top player may want to use as a tune up after an injury or a vacation from the game. This will give lower ranked players a chance to build up points and keep the top players healthy.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #231
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem is not the schedule. The problem is the players commiting to too many tournaments. If they were smarter, they wouldn't get injured. Nobody is forcing Federer and Nadal to play 80+ matches per year.

It's not a coincidence that the lower ranked players, who have played less matches, are not injured. Out of the top 6, 5 are injured. Out of the remaining top 40, 5 are injured.

Besides, I think some of them are just being cautious ahead of Shanghai.
Fed played 14 tournaments so far this year. That's less than most players (except of course the ones with chronic injuries). His recent injury was not due to playing too many matches but rather bad luck. What tournaments exactly should he not have played this year? And has he or Rafa even complained about scheduling or the season being too long?

Thank you Stanimal for taking out the trash at AO!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #232
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Did Andy commit to LA? I think he never was going to play there this year.

Anyway, players do over commit sometimes because they want to be sure to get enough points and playing time esp. right before a slam event.

I think having the same balls for every tournament is a good idea, but probably won't get a lot of support from tournament directors.

I notice the article didn't support shortening the season.
Yes, Roddick pulled out of LA due to soreness in his right knee. But played Washington DC the next week.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&page=39&pp=15

Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #233
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

An immediate and probably effective way is to limit the number of tournaments that can count towards rankings. What is the number of optionals right now? Isn't it 5? In addition to the slams and TMS, this adds up to a very large number of tournaments in which to maximize points
R.Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #234
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the AMS final should be best of 3 instead of 5. Other than the Madrid and Paris, all the other AMSs have 64 draws, i.e. the players reached finals played 5 matches already within a week. And the finals on Sunday would be their 6th match in 7 days. That's too much IMO if the players have to play best of 5.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 AM   #235
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

This has been done many times already this type of thread.

Ivan Ljubicic made a very simple and true point. "It's not like players weren't getting injured before. Our season is virtually 12 months and players are getting injured, I had back problems in the year. When the number 21 was getting injured, nobody cared, now Federer gets injured, people start caring".

Yes, as for the Davis Cup, it seems that the short sighted view is apparent, as Davis Cup generates a large amount of revenue for the tennis Federations, especially the smaller ones, it's Ok for the larger nations to say DC is a strain, but who is going to reimburse the other nations when they don't get the funds from the DC annual ties are they going to go cap in hand to ITF and beg for loans. Just give the finalists a bye into the quarter finals and have 14 teams in the World Group.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #236
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
This has been done many times already this type of thread.

Ivan Ljubicic made a very simple and true point. "It's not like players weren't getting injured before. Our season is virtually 12 months and players are getting injured, I had back problems in the year. When the number 21 was getting injured, nobody cared, now Federer gets injured, people start caring".
Yeah, Fed gets injured and people like Roddick start caring.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 AM   #237
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Yeah, Fed gets injured and people like Roddick start caring.
Do you know the context that statement was made in? Surprise me.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #238
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe if Roger is less successful next year he won't have the same physical problems.
I don't see what that has to do with anything. Roger's injury was an accident, could have happened any time.

Quote:
JCF had a similar problem in 2003 when his success and his schedule eventually caused his downfall.
Ferrero's had a similar problem to Federer? I don't think it could be any *less* similar. Ferrero was burnt out towards the end of the 2003, and then he struggled and got chicken pox. Fed was not at all burnt out, he's paced himself very well this year and was intending to play everything (except probably Bercy imo) to complete the season - just had an unfortunate incident whilst practising.
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #239
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Fed was not at all burnt out, he's paced himself very well this year and was intending to play everything (except probably Bercy imo) to complete the season - just had an unfortunate incident whilst practising.
Fed said after USO he was planning to play his full schedule because he took his rest after Wimbledon. As you say it was bad luck in practice not burn out that caused this injury.

Incidentally, this is what Roger said last year in a Tennis Week interview.

Quote:
I think in a way the season is definitely long. But you can adjust your schedule. Scheduling is very important in my career. I have to make sure I don't just chase tournaments. I just play my schedule I really like to play. I don't think that is an excuse for any of the players because that's just how the tour is. We have a great tour. We should not forget that. We have many, many highlights in our year and you have to be ready for them. And sometimes you are tired. Don't play if you are too tired. If you think, "I really should help the sport", you know you should go play even though you are tired, but still make sure you prevent injuries.
Quote:
You have to take care of yourself. You have to be aggressive sometimes, but not all the time. Think about the fans around the world who want to see you. Think about tournament directors who love to have you there. Think about the sponsors who support the game. I think you have to make it up to all of them. Because we are living our dreams basically because of them. We didn't start when we were three years old because we wanted to play on Wimbledon's Centre Court. We started because we loved playing, we loved hitting the ball and suddenly we make it there. We live the tour and let's say we start saying: "Oh, the tour is too long, I'm too tired." I don't agree.
Quote:
You have to make some sacrifices for this life we have. You can't play tennis 'till you're 60. The career already stops at 30 or 35 years old because then your body is used, you're tired of traveling and so on, so you might as well enjoy it now while you can.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #240
country flag Alvarillo

Alvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond reputeAlvarillo has a reputation beyond repute

why AMS Finals only for 3 sets?
why to kill the spectacle???, the most exciting matches this year have been in AMS Finals with marathon matches in Miami, Madrid and Rome !
for playing 2 hours more 3 days in a year you won't be more tired at the ned of the season !!!!

RaFaeL NaDaL

RoBReDo - GGLóPeZ - GRaNoLLeRS - MoNTaŃéS - FeR ViCeNTe - aNDuJaR - FeLiCiaNo - IVáN NaVaRRo - DvD FeRReR - VeRDaSCo - BeTo MaRTíN - RaMiReZ-HiDaLGo - HeRNaNDeZ - GiMeNo-TRaVeR - NiCo ALMaGRo
Alvarillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote