ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #196
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peta Pan
And so how do these players that can't afford a coach get any better? How do they become good enough to compete with these players that have all the money and can afford one?

Do you want just all the rich kids being the only ones that can afford to play the game rather than the ones with talent? It would all become a little too much like F1 with only the rich teams being competitive.

Honestly, the notion that players should not hire coaches is just ludicrous!!
This is getting really
I didn't say or imply "players should not hire coaches". If they can and want to then they should. But if they can't afford to have one because their prize money/sponsorship earnings aren't high enough then that's too bad. If players can't pay their own coaches then who is expected to pay them?
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #197
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
This is getting really
I didn't say or imply "players should not hire coaches". If they can and want to then they should. But if they can't afford to have one because their prize money/sponsorship earnings aren't high enough then that's too bad. If players can't pay their own coaches then who is expected to pay them?
If you don't want me to go off topic then don't bring up the fact that players don't need coaches in the first place!!
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #198
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know you did. My point was where do you draw the line?
If you think players are all entitled to have their own coaches travelling with them then why shouldn't they be entitled to other things too?
Personally, I think no-body is entitled to a coach. If you can't afford one - tough.
Simple, any level of elite sport the athlete doesn't do everything solely by himself and coaches are a fact of life, whether you like or not, drugs aren't the only thing that help.

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. That's a good schedule, if every continent is being represented. I haven't seen the details of your proposal but if you believe you can cover all those parts of the world in just a 9 month calendar then I wouldn't have a problem.
It's not difficult, start the season later in South Africa, Asia and have a TMS before the AO, the proposal has already been lined out, after the DC, clay starts in South America then onto Europe, grass, then North American hardcourts, DC and then the indoors all continents represented.

Quote:
In football, none of the fans have a problem with the schedule. I reckon the players are being overworked possibly but only the very best - the ones that need to play in the international tournaments both during and after the season. But trully ALL these guys get payed millions of Euros a year so I have no sympathy. They also have the option of retiring from international football if they feel physically incapable of handling it.
Huge amounts of empty seats in stadia and not as much money coming through as previously, the bubble has burst, many fans priced out of watching the game, it happens in tennis and it seems to be more about sponsors than fans and not balanced as it should be. People not caring about a Mickey Mouse trophy, even further seperation about the mugs and the millionares.

Quote:
I never said nor implied that the ATP was all about the top players. But you seem to be talking about Ferrero and Hewitt. These guys have a choice not to enter every tournament that's coming up. If they made the right choices they wouldn't get injured in the first place.
Stop the jokes. I gave an example using 2 particular players only and the effects of a short off-season and what happened after that Ferrero and Hewitt, this does not equate to talking absolutely focusing on them. I am not even a fan of these two, just used them to illustrate a point. Just like you said players don't need a coach (Federer), can play a smaller schedule, top players can do it, and not everyone can, but you practice selective reading.

Chickenpox, is an illness and not an injury, and I don't need to repeat what can happen when an immune system is down from overuse.

Quote:
No I don't but I feel sometimes I'm not being heard here. You don't need to tell me stuff here that I already know.
If you don't want to go on with circular argument, then don't. You are being heard and someone has bothered to read and comment on these suggestions, so someone has listened.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #199
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peta Pan
Ok, yep why don't the players just play 52 weeks a year!!
I think they do. Challenger/Satellite circuit has no offseason.
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #200
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

i remember back in the early 90's the season didnt end until the Grand Slam Cup
and it was held as late as the 2nd week in December at times.

you dont all have to what everyone else is doing just cos........
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #201
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd2005
Not too bad- but to design a proper calendar you need the minority events included too and actually build from scratch.
OK then, here goes...

Jan Adelaide, Doha, Chennai
Jan Sydney, Auckland
Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Feb Vina del Mar, Delray Beach
Feb Costa do Sauipe, Houston
Feb Cordoba*, Acapulco
Feb AMS BUENOS AIRES

Mar DAVIS CUP 1
Mar Marseille, San Jose
Mar Rotterdam, Memphis
Mar Dubai, Indian Wells
Mar AMS MIAMI

Apr Valencia, Johannesburg*
Apr Barcelona, Casablanca
Apr AMS MONTE-CARLO
May Munich, Estoril
May AMS ROME
May St. Polten
May ROLAND GARROS

Jun Queens, Halle
Jun AMS HAMBURG
Jun Nottingham, s-Hertogenbosch
Jun WIMBLEDON

Jul Gstaad, Bastad, Newport
Jul DAVIS CUP 2
Jul Stuttgart, Indianapolis, Umag
Aug Kitzbuhl, Los Angelis, Sopot
Aug AMS MONTREAL
Aug AMS CINCINATTI
Aug Long Island
Sep US OPEN

Sep Beijing, Bucharest
Sep DAVIS CUP 3
Sep Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Metz
Oct AMS TOKYO
Oct Vienna, Stockholm, Moscow
Oct Paris, Basel, St. Petersburg
Oct AMS MADRID

Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP
Nov DAVIS CUP FINAL

I've basically...
- kept the basic structure of the current ATP calendar
- changed AMS Hamburg from a RG to a Wimby warm-up event
- introduced South American and Asian AMS events
- introduced Argentinian and African International Series events
- reduced the season by 1 week
- retained Indian Wells and Paris as International Series events

* I thought Cordoba and Johannesburg would be suitable locations for new tournaments.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:45 AM   #202
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK then, here goes...

Jan Adelaide, Doha, Chennai
Jan Sydney, Auckland
Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Feb Vina del Mar, Delray Beach
Feb Costa do Sauipe, Houston
Feb Cordoba*, Acapulco
Feb AMS BUENOS AIRES

Mar DAVIS CUP 1
Mar Marseille, San Jose
Mar Rotterdam, Memphis
Mar Dubai, Indian Wells
Mar AMS MIAMI

Apr Valencia, Johannesburg*
Apr Barcelona, Casablanca
Apr AMS MONTE-CARLO
May Munich, Estoril
May AMS ROME
May St. Polten
May ROLAND GARROS

Jun Queens, Halle
Jun AMS HAMBURG
Jun WIMBLEDON

Jul Gstaad, Bastad, Newport
Jul DAVIS CUP 2
Jul Stuttgart, Indianapolis, Umag
Aug Kitzbuhl, Los Angelis, Sopot
Aug AMS MONTREAL
Aug AMS CINCINATTI
Aug Long Island
Sep US OPEN

Sep Beijing, Bucharest
Sep DAVIS CUP 3
Sep Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Metz
Oct AMS TOKYO
Oct Vienna, Stockholm, Moscow
Oct Paris, Basel, St. Petersburg
Oct AMS MADRID

Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP
Nov DAVIS CUP FINAL

I've basically...
- kept the basic structure of the current ATP calendar
- changed AMS Hamburg from a RG to a Wimby warm-up event
- introduced South American and Asian AMS events
- introduced Argentinian and African International Series events
- reduced the season by 1 week
- retained Indian Wells and Paris as International Series events

* I thought Cordoba and Johannesburg would be suitable locations for new tournaments.
Johannesburg is hardcourt or grass country, better off making use of the resources at best. It's easier to play it at the start of the year and use it as an Aus Open warm up and it's a short flight from Johannesburg to Australia.

Next problem, what is the point of a clay TMS before a hardcourt TMS, then going back to clay? There is none, it doesn't make sense. As has been said before there needs to be a constant build up to Slams, the calendar sucks at the moment.

Not enough lead in to the AO or Wimbledon. There aren't grass courts in Hamburg and who is going to pay for the conversion of the venue from clay to grass?

Having the DC after a Slam is easier as most players are gone by week 1, then can have 2 weeks to prepare, instead of after a TMS event.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #203
country flag ginny_legend

ginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond reputeginny_legend has a reputation beyond repute

yeah right.
ginny_legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #204
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Johannesburg is hardcourt or grass country, better off making use of the resources at best. It's easier to play it at the start of the year and use it as an Aus Open warm up and it's a short flight from Johannesburg to Australia.
I didn't know SA is a fast court country. I was hoping to have a mini-African season but I guess its location makes it more suited as an AO warm-up event.

Quote:
Next problem, what is the point of a clay TMS before a hardcourt TMS, then going back to clay? There is none, it doesn't make sense. As has been said before there needs to be a constant build up to Slams, the calendar sucks at the moment.

Not enough lead in to the AO or Wimbledon.
Well, in an ideal world, we'd have "a constant build up to Slams" but I was trying to build a realistic calendar that doesn't force the ATP to make too many dramatic changes. I think the Australians have insisted that their Slam has to be in January to avoid clashing with their other sporting events.

The best thing, I think, would be to swap the South American season with the American/European season so that there can be hard court events in January and February. Then March, April and May can be for clay. June for grass. July for mixture. August can be American hard courts. Then, the rest of the season can be for EuroAsian indoor tournaments:

Jan Adelaide, Doha, Johannesburg*
Jan Sydney, Auckland
Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Feb Marseille, San Jose
Feb Rotterdam, Memphis
Feb Dubai, Indian Wells
Feb AMS MIAMI

Mar DAVIS CUP 1
Mar Vina del Mar, Delray Beach
Mar Costa do Sauipe, Houston
Mar Cordoba, Acapulco
Apr AMS BUENOS AIRES
Apr Valencia, Casablanca
Apr Barcelona, Estoril
Apr AMS MONTE-CARLO
May Munich, Palermo*
May AMS ROME
May St. Polten
May ROLAND GARROS

Jun Queens, Halle
Jun AMS HAMBURG
Jun WIMBLEDON

etc...
*So move Chennai to October, so that it can be part of the Asian season, and have Palermo instead of Johannesburg in May.

Quote:
There aren't grass courts in Hamburg and who is going to pay for the conversion of the venue from clay to grass?

Having the DC after a Slam is easier as most players are gone by week 1, then can have 2 weeks to prepare, instead of after a TMS event.
I don't think grass courts will be a problem in Hamburg. They've been planning to make refurbishments there anyway so I think it should be OK. The weather in Hamburg should be better in June than it is in May so I think the tournament could become a lot more popular this way. Anyway, even if not Hamburg, I'm sure there's somewhere in Germany they can host a grass court AMS.

The Davis Cup could be after AMS Miami, which is also a 2 week tournament. As you said, most players are gone in the first week.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 AM   #205
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
*So move Chennai to October, so that it can be part of the Asian season, and have Palermo instead of Johannesburg in May.

I don't think grass courts will be a problem in Hamburg. They've been planning to make refurbishments there anyway so I think it should be OK. The weather in Hamburg should be better in June than it is in May so I think the tournament could become a lot more popular this way. Anyway, even if not Hamburg, I'm sure there's somewhere in Germany they can host a grass court AMS.
You can't play tennis in Chennai in October, it's monsoon season in the region. There is no point in making cosmetic changes.

The refurbishments don't include changing the court surface, like that's going to be of benefit. Hamburg and grass won't happen. If anything would make sense make Madrid a clay event and then give Germany an indoor TMS.

Buenos Aires is in the wrong position for a start. No point having a hardcourt TMS just for the sake of it in March. It's just going over the same stuff you missed before, as to why.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #206
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Delray still in there? Not making sense to me. That area has Miami....has the Sunrise challenger...(which usually has better draw than Delray!) so ditch Delray, too.

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."

Anais Nin
michelleg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #207
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleg
Why is Delray still in there? Not making sense to me. That area has Miami....has the Sunrise challenger...(which usually has better draw than Delray!) so ditch Delray, too.
I'm not fussy about Delray. I just want a mini North American clay court season before AMS Buenos Aires so any tournament that can be scheduled before Houston is fine.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #208
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to have it where the grasscourt tournament currently is, in Halle?
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #209
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Buenos Aires is in the wrong position for a start. No point having a hardcourt TMS just for the sake of it in March. It's just going over the same stuff you missed before, as to why.
Firstly, it's not in March it's in February now.
Secondly, it's not "just for the sake of it". Miami has always been one of the most (if not, THE most) popular AMS. It is one of the best locations, great facilities, great fans - it is the 5th slam. Bottom line for the ATP, it generates a lot of money and it cannot be removed from the Masters Series.

As far as Hamburg is concerned, Germany loves its grass court tennis (certainly more than France, Italy, Spain etc..) and it is easily possible to lay grass courts in the Hamburg grounds. I never said their refurbishments included the laying of grass, my point was that Hamburg is making changes and this COULD be part of them. All it require is the will to implement them.

If somebody were to suggest this to the ATP and to the Hamburg tournament organisers, I'm sure it would be given consideration. It is a very realistic idea.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #210
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Wouldn't it be better to have it where the grasscourt tournament currently is, in Halle?
That's fine too but isn't Halle too small?