ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #166
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be the ATP calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well, this won't happen, but anyway it seems people here are forgetting Davis Cup and other events.

There would have to be some structural changes but there will be a clear surface distinction as well for example.

- The season would start in the first week of Feb and finish in November.
- The first 4 weeks would be a lead in to the Aus Open with a TMS in the 3rd week, and then once the Aus Open in March is finished. That would be 6 weeks of hardcourt/Rebound Ace.

Then Davis Cup 1st round matches and after that the claycourt season begins in week 8 in South America with a clay TMS in Buenos Aires in Week 10 and finishes in week 19 at the end of the French Open, which is the third week of June. There will be no claycourt events at ATP level after that, this would mean that there would be a two break between the TMS events, and maybe some of the other tournaments could be moved to earlier dates or have two or maybe three of them in the off weeks.

Week 20 at the end of June the grasscourt season begins. Then for the whole month of July it's grasscourt tennis with a week 21 TMS grass event, then optional event and the last two weeks are for Wimbledon.

The start of August the DC quarters which is week 25, then after that it's the lead in for the US Open on the hardcourts with an Asian/North American hardcourt circuit before heading to North America for 2 TMS events and a warm up for the US Open which would be in week 31/32 the last weeks of September.

October would have the DC semis, then after that it would be much reduced indoor season which would last 4 weeks, from week 34/37 it would have Madrid and Paris in week 35 and 37 respectively, then the TMC and Davis Cup final.

The players would half of November, all of December and January free from tennis tournaments. It would provide clear transition from surfaces, gives a TMS to grass, while taking a way a hardcourt one, making sure there is at least a 2 week gap between TMS events.

It would mean shedding a few tournaments, but it would reduce the workload and 2,5 months is comparable to many other sports, though the players could train a lot smarter than many do now.
2 and a half months no tennis?

Are players really being over-worked? Just because there are tournaments throughout the whole year doesn't mean players have to enter them. Sure they want to enter all the GS and TMS events but players can often take breaks during the season, if they want to. Hewitt, for instance, takes a break during February.

At the moment, unless you're one of the few taking part in the TMC and/or DC final, players get the whole of November and December off. I think the current calendar works, in that respect.

Last edited by Jimnik : 10-04-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #167
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
2 and a half months no tennis?

Are players really being over-worked? Just because there are tournaments throughout the whole year doesn't mean players have to enter them. Sure they want to enter all the GS and TMS events but players can often take breaks during the season, if they want to. Hewitt, for instance, takes a break during February.

At the moment, unless you're one of the few taking part in the TMC and/or DC final, players get the whole of November and December off. I think the current calendar works, in that respect.
How is it sad? Never heard of the saying too much tennis doesn't mean it's going to be good. Have you ever seen someone who is burnt out or just going through the motions?

There a lot more injuries now, it's not cause of clay as the genius ys says, it's one because of the increase of play on hardcourts, two also there is not enough of a recovery period after the season end, this plus cause they are so worried about missing tennis, they try and get back earlier than they are ready and it can be seen at the AO, who is ready and who is not. There needs to be a longer off season and also the fact that they can recover from the niggling injuries and also get a better fitness base for the year at hand.

A lot of players play challengers in November and December, some do it for the points and others do it for the money, then it all becomes a blur, if you think that's good, just trot the out like a commodity and dump it when it's done, then cheers to you.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #168
monicain

monicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond reputemonicain has a reputation beyond repute

GW's calendar seems fairly good. But for carpet season week 34-37, No more Madrid and Paris. Moskva and Tokyo seem a lot better. You can even add Bangkok, which is indoor, to make it asain season.

Also, where that hardcourt event in that 3rd week could be held?

>>so there'll be:
14 weeks on hard
13 weeks on clay
5 weeks on grass
4 weeks on carpet (should be 5 if you fix the Masters Cup on it)
sounds much more equally distributed!--I like it.

Contrary to ys', about masters cup and no top asian players, I think China, or even Africa--if they can organize it, should take the Masters Cup. That would really create a neutral atmosphere for all the best top 8 competing, something we didnt see in stupid McInvale's Houston.
monicain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #169
country flag uNIVERSE mAN

uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Extending from the idea of an AMS event in Asia, I think there are many parts of the calendar which need to be changed. At the moment, many events are too close together. They're all in North America and Western Europe and some of them are back-to-back (eg Rome/Hamburg and Canada/Cincy).
Here is my proposal:

Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN - Hard
Feb AMS Buenos Aires - Clay
Mar AMS Monte-Carlo - Clay
Apr AMS Rome - Clay
May ROLAND GARROS - Clay
Jun AMS Hamburg - Grass
Jun WIMBLEDON - Grass
Jul AMS Indian Wells - Hard
Aug AMS Miami - Hard
Sep US OPEN - Hard
Oct AMS Tokyo/Beijing/Moscow - Indoors
Oct AMS Madrid - Indoors
Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP

Everyone complains about the short grass court season - the gap between RG and Wimby. So why not move the German Open from May to June and change the surface from clay to grass. This way, there can be at least 1 AMS grass event and the grass court season can last 1 extra week.

South America clearly loves tennis and they have plenty of players in the top 100. Surely Argentina can host an AMS event to help encourage Federer, Hewitt, Roddick and Safin to play in South America. It could be held at the end of February, say 4 weeks after the Aus Open.

IW and Miami are known as the 5th and 6th slams so, instead of scrapping them, let them replace Canada/Cincy in August.

And, off course, an AMS event in Asia should be held either in Japan or China or possibly Russia. But I think Spain deserves a Masters Series event so keep Madrid Indoors at the end of the season.

There doesn't have to be three Clay MS titles in one continent at more or less the same time, that's redundant. One of those should be dropped and relocated to another zone.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #170
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Well scrap Indian Wells, too much debt on the venue already, let them default on the notes (its the American Way)....its a great venue in a fantastic resort destination, but suffers from lousy attendance.

Change Miami to a clay event, keep March scheduling. August is height of rainy season and hurricane season, you'd be lucky to get two matches in per day.

Move Cincinatti to Chicago, Mason is in the middle of nowhere with nothing more than a cheesy themepark, strip malls and lousy hotels. Either that or ditch Cincy altogether, bump Canada later and add grass in there somewhere...

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."

Anais Nin
michelleg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #171
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
There doesn't have to be three Clay MS titles in one continent at more or less the same time, that's redundant. One of those should be dropped and relocated to another zone.
I agree. That's why I've included an AMS Buenos Aires.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #172
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
How is it sad? Never heard of the saying too much tennis doesn't mean it's going to be good. Have you ever seen someone who is burnt out or just going through the motions?

There a lot more injuries now, it's not cause of clay as the genius ys says, it's one because of the increase of play on hardcourts, two also there is not enough of a recovery period after the season end, this plus cause they are so worried about missing tennis, they try and get back earlier than they are ready and it can be seen at the AO, who is ready and who is not. There needs to be a longer off season and also the fact that they can recover from the niggling injuries and also get a better fitness base for the year at hand.

A lot of players play challengers in November and December, some do it for the points and others do it for the money, then it all becomes a blur, if you think that's good, just trot the out like a commodity and dump it when it's done, then cheers to you.
I don't think there are "a lot more injuries now". Even if there are, why would it be because of the "recovery period"? As I've said before, players do not have to play throughout the year. If they feel physically fatigued, they can take a break whenever they like during the many months when there are no important tournaments.

You say players play challengers in December "for the points and others do it for the money". I think that's a very negative way of looking at it. Has it occured to you that some may just enjoy playing tennis throughout the year? Last year, Andy Roddick played more tennis than anyone because he was in the Tennis Masters Cup and the Davis Cup final. At this year's Aus Open, somebody asked if he would finally take a break in February. His reply was that he was going to head over to America to play in the hard court tournaments because he would get bored if he wasn't playing tennis.

There are many players out there who would love to keep playing throughout the year. Indeed if they didn't enjoy their tennis, they wouldn't be professional tennis players.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #173
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN - Hard
Feb AMS Buenos Aires - Clay
Mar AMS Monte-Carlo - Clay
Apr AMS Rome - Clay
May ROLAND GARROS - Clay
Jun AMS Hamburg - Grass
Jun WIMBLEDON - Grass
Jul AMS Indian Wells - Hard
Aug AMS Miami - Hard
Sep US OPEN - Hard
Oct AMS Tokyo/Beijing/Moscow - Indoors
Oct AMS Madrid - Indoors
Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP
Here is my suggestion...

South America and Asia should get a MS, at the expense of Europe and North America.

January - Australian Open (hard)
February - Europe indoor MS
March - North America hard MS (Miami/Indian Wells)
April - south America clay MS (instead of 1 Europe clay MS)
May - 2 Europe clay MS
May/June - Rolland Garros (clay)
June/July - Wimbledon (grass)
July/August - North America hard MS (Canada/Cincinnati)
Aug/Sep - US Open (hard)
Sep/Oct - Asia hard MS
Oct/Nov - Europe indoor MS
Nov - Masters Cup
Semifinal: 2004 - Houston, Casablanca, Nottingham, Stuttgart, Cincinnati
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #174
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleg
Well scrap Indian Wells, too much debt on the venue already, let them default on the notes (its the American Way)....its a great venue in a fantastic resort destination, but suffers from lousy attendance.

Change Miami to a clay event, keep March scheduling. August is height of rainy season and hurricane season, you'd be lucky to get two matches in per day.

Move Cincinatti to Chicago, Mason is in the middle of nowhere with nothing more than a cheesy themepark, strip malls and lousy hotels. Either that or ditch Cincy altogether, bump Canada later and add grass in there somewhere...
Now, here is someone speaking with a sense of authority and common sense too..
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #175
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
Now, here is someone speaking with a sense of authority and common sense too..
Honestly, I was being a bit cheeky there but can tell you that Mason is by far the WORST tournament town I have ever visited. Not exactly a destination by any stretch of the imagination.

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."

Anais Nin
Old 10-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #176
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Honestly, I was being a bit cheeky there but can tell you that Mason is by far the WORST tournament town I have ever visited. Not exactly a destination by any stretch of the imagination.
No , seriously, it all makes some sense. I kind of agree that it is doable.. US spring hardcourts are really out of place.. There is no reason why they can't have a red clay in Miami, cause it is really slow anyway and US should have a decent red clay event anyway.. Indian Wells does not make all that much sense.. And moving Cincinnati to some better place with more of attendance potential, like, say, San Francisco or Boston or Chicago would make some sense too..

But again, ideally, it should be moving Australian Open to March as one single big change and some smaller changes built around that one..
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #177
country flag michelleg

I remember back when Miami was the Lipton that there were rumours about the possibility of it becoming a clay court tournament. The organizers were probably to cheap to pay for it (cough, cough IMG)

Actually attendance is not really a serious problem in Cincy, its just the nasty (BORING)location. Maybe the USTA could just turn that into a national training facility or something, but leave the Masters events for destination/travel worthy cities!

Anais Nin
Old 10-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #178
country flag ys

Quote:
I remember back when Miami was the Lipton that there were rumours about the possibility of it becoming a clay court tournament. The organizers were probably to cheap to pay for it (cough, cough IMG)
But I believe it was while ATP was still recognising green clay as a legit surface. And they meant it to be on green clay, as it is predominant surface in Florida anyway..

Quote:
Actually attendance is not really a serious problem in Cincy, its just the nasty (BORING)location. Maybe the USTA could just turn that into a national training facility or something, but leave the Masters events for destination/travel worthy cities!
Exactly.. Absolutely.. For instance, switch the tournaments between LA and Cincinnati..
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #179
country flag Volcanic Tennis

Volcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeVolcanic Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for destroying my tournament =(
Other than that... makes sense... i guess

Simon Aspelin & Julian Knowle: 2007 U.S. Open Champions!!!!
Jurgen Melzer & Philipp Petzschner: 2010 Wimbledon Champions!!!
Canadian Heroes: Frank Dancevic & Milos Raonic
Elite Squad: Marat Safin - Andy Roddick - Richard Gasquet - Jérémy Chardy - Philipp Petzschner - Tommy Robredo - Marin Cilic - Juan Martin Del Potro - Dmitry Tursunov - Mikhail Youzhny - Ivan Ljubicic - Juan Monaco - Jurgen Melzer - Fernando Gonzalez
Doubles Specialists: Simon Aspelin - Julian Knowle - Max Mirnyi - Paul Hanley - Jamie Murray - Mark Knowles - Mahesh Bhupathi - Mariusz Fyrstenberg - Marcin Matkowski - Daniel Nestor- Nenad Zimonjic - Andy Ram
Retired, but never forgotten, my idol: Jonas Bjorkman
Volcanic Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #180
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think there are "a lot more injuries now". Even if there are, why would it be because of the "recovery period"? As I've said before, players do not have to play throughout the year. If they feel physically fatigued, they can take a break whenever they like during the many months when there are no important tournaments.
Only the top players can afford large breaks in schedule, not everyone can play a Hewitt like schedule, can't think that is a possibility for all the players, when not all circumstances are the same. Hence the vast majority of players have to play more tournaments than they would like for either economic reasons or keeping the ranking points up, so they can participate in the bigger events and do the best of themselves.

Shorter off season, not enough time to recover from niggles for the whole year, then after than they have to work during the off season on the other things like base fitness, endurance, speedwork, this takes time to get the benefits from this, if done correctly.

Quote:
You say players play challengers in December "for the points and others do it for the money". I think that's a very negative way of looking at it. Has it occured to you that some may just enjoy playing tennis throughout the year? Last year, Andy Roddick played more tennis than anyone because he was in the Tennis Masters Cup and the Davis Cup final. At this year's Aus Open, somebody asked if he would finally take a break in February. His reply was that he was going to head over to America to play in the hard court tournaments because he would get bored if he wasn't playing tennis.
It's not a negative way to look at it all, it makes sense, if the tournaments are there, then people will play them, some need the cash and others need the points and also they have to make the cutoff for the AO without qualifying. You only think about the top players, the fact is that the majority of players aren't financially that well off, so many have to play more to pay expenses, some love the competition, but there are other practical reasons.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote