What do you think about death penalty? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Death penalty: Yes or No?

Yes 23 27.38%
No 54 64.29%
Don't know 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #121
country flag Dr.Slice

Dr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Shocking to see that a third of all people voted for death penalty

I thought the middle age was over..
I am far more dissapointed seeing so many stupid liberal do-gooders on this site. As far as I am concerned, if the criminal has committed a murder or is a child molester, then a trip to the executioner is more than deserved. I would also add drug-dealers to this list. These people are scum, why waste taxpayers money on them when all they deserve is a slow death?

But of course I know, a good liberal would rather try to rehabilitate murderers and let them murder more innocent people than actually put an end to crimes.

Quote:
I think a totally dedicated and fit Serena can be in the top 200 of men's tour.

Hian talking about where Serena Williams would be in ATP
Quote:
Serena could be easily in Top 100.
Dr.Slice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #122
country flag MachimoI

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Slice View Post
I am far more dissapointed seeing so many stupid liberal do-gooders on this site. As far as I am concerned, if the criminal has committed a murder or is a child molester, then a trip to the executioner is more than deserved. I would also add drug-dealers to this list. These people are scum, why waste taxpayers money on them when all they deserve is a slow death?

But of course I know, a good liberal would rather try to rehabilitate murderers and let them murder more innocent people than actually put an end to crimes.
There is no logic to your post.

As far as the economy (=the wellbeing of the society in general) is concerned, locking up a person has a negative impact (the number of man-hours lost is huge), while killing a person costs even more to the society, because of the involved costs of the trial coupled with the lost man-hours, which would be otherwise spent working and adding value to the economy.

Look up the statistics for murderers, only a small fraction of them re-offend. It makes no sense to kill them or keep them imprisoned, unless they do re-offend. Furthermore, advances in neuroscience and genetics will let us trace the psychos much more effectively. The majority of serial killers, mass murderers etc. are biologically predisposed to commit such crimes with others having suffered severe psychological traumas. It is quite easy to set these people apart from decent people, who've committed crimes of passion (the distinct majority of murders) and who could and should become productive members of the society as soon as possible. Forced labour should be the preferred punishment for these people.

The same applies to child molesters, no reason to kill them, it is irrational. Forced labour coupled with chemical or physical castration should be preferred.

-Ernests Gulbis, 2011.
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #123
country flag PorkBarrel

PorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond reputePorkBarrel has a reputation beyond repute

Against. It isn't foolproof, neither is it a deterrent.

Tsonga, Wawrinka, Haas, Janowicz, Thiem, Llodra, Evans, Stepanek
PorkBarrel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #124
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...mercy-18859981

after reading this article, I guess may be death penalty is necessary for some people. Shutting them into prison will not make them change. Just horrible, just horrible ..........

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #125
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Slice View Post
These people are scum, why waste taxpayers money on them when all they deserve is a slow death?
http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #126
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Death penalty? How about sentencing someone to be paralysed from the waist down?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22010122

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #127
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

People are not born serial killers, murderers, rapists, etc. unless there is some physical impairment of the brain from birth.

Family or lack thereof, society, environment, etc. has usually helped to shape their lives. There is a failure or serious of failures, maybe even abuse at some point, or perhaps the brain of someone has been impaired, but it's usually pathological in some way, and underlying causes can and have eventually been found in these people. Looking at it this way, we should seriously question ourselves as a society for failing to recognize potentially harmful people and helping them prior to them committing serious crimes, instead of condemning them to death after the fact.

The best we can do after the crime is to remove them from harming others and make an attempt to rehabilitate. It may not always work, but it is the civilized thing to do.

A society that permits executions is knowingly committing "legalized" homicide. War or military conflict is sanctioned killing by the state. Yet many of these people are called heroic and it is justified in the name of patriotism, religion, or political right and might.

Instead of countries having military drafts to train people how to kill, they should first be having qualified psychological evaluations for every person at least yearly. We might not be able to identify everyone with a potential of violence from either static or dynamic risk factors and help improve or overcome those, but I bet we would improve on the current situation.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #128
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
People are not born serial killers, murderers, rapists, etc. unless there is some physical impairment of the brain from birth.

Family or lack thereof, society, environment, etc. has usually helped to shape their lives. There is a failure or serious of failures, maybe even abuse at some point, or perhaps the brain of someone has been impaired, but it's usually pathological in some way, and underlying causes can and have eventually been found in these people. Looking at it this way, we should seriously question ourselves as a society for failing to recognize potentially harmful people and helping them prior to them committing serious crimes, instead of condemning them to death after the fact.

The best we can do after the crime is to remove them from harming others and make an attempt to rehabilitate. It may not always work, but it is the civilized thing to do.

A society that permits executions is knowingly committing "legalized" homicide. War or military conflict is sanctioned killing by the state. Yet many of these people are called heroic and it is justified in the name of patriotism, religion, or political right and might.

Instead of countries having military drafts to train people how to kill, they should first be having qualified psychological evaluations for every person at least yearly. We might not be able to identify everyone with a potential of violence from either static or dynamic risk factors and help improve or overcome those, but I bet we would improve on the current situation.

Respectfully,
masterclass

I like your idea of more psych evaluations. If we could catch problems early on, perhaps there would be hope for recovery. No doubt pathology is responsible for a lot of deviant behaviour, but there are also studies which reveal that even seemingly "good", healthy and law-abiding people have a capacity for deviance (what some call evil) under certain social circumstances and influences. Historically, the main goal of capital punishment has been to serve as a deterrent and warning for these types, as opposed to revenge on the criminal. Essentially, I'm convinced that good people can be influenced to be bad in short order. You have some really great ideas there but I have no easy answers.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #129
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the sooner we get rid of the idea of free will the better we'll focus our discussion on this and other subjects.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #130
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Yes, the sooner we get rid of the idea of free will the better we'll focus our discussion on this and other subjects.
I may get a little obtuse by the time the weekend rolls around, after a hard week, but some elaboration would have been helpful. Hard to tell if you're being cynical or not.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #131
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

It is barbaric. It does not deter serious crimes. It does not save money, it actually costs more to execute people. Innocent people have had their heads chopped off. There are no second chances. I don't see the point of having it. I'm glad the UK does not have it anymore. I hope all countries abolish it.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #132
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
It is barbaric. It does not deter serious crimes. It does not save money, it actually costs more to execute people. Innocent people have had their heads chopped off. There are no second chances. I don't see the point of having it. I'm glad the UK does not have it anymore. I hope all countries abolish it.
Some people do not deserve second chances. Barbaric? DP is too humane actually. Some people deserve to be tortured for weeks for things they've done. It's disgusting how liberal this world has become. I know if someone laid a finger on my family, I'd cut off their every limb with garden cutters. And I wouldn't care if I got executed for it either.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #133
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Some people do not deserve second chances. Barbaric? DP is too humane actually. Some people deserve to be tortured for weeks for things they've done. It's disgusting how liberal this world has become. I know if someone laid a finger on my family, I'd cut off their every limb with garden cutters. And I wouldn't care if I got executed for it either.

I dare not cross you Sir. I assume you are a guy, if not I'm definitely ashamed . When this topic is taught there is a focus on both the advantages and disadvantages. The death penalty has more disadvantages than advantages. The killing of innocent people is particularly shocking. Dying for nothing. The judicial system is far from perfect. Torture is just wrong. I take it you are not a fan of the universal declaration of human rights.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #134
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you get executed for saving your family from criminals? Only dummy judges & death penalty haters feel sorry for shameless killers, thugs and psycho cowards.

If death isn't a deterrent, we'd have a billion more prisoners just enjoying visits from their happy families.

What about people who were forced to do hard labor by Vietnam communists?
They were victims, but no one remembers them because they died young and the communists got away with cruelty.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #135
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
I take it you are not a fan of the universal declaration of human rights.
You are incorrect here. I am all for human rights. However, some actions (such as pedophilia, murder etc) should automatically strip you of these rights. Simple enough? If you commit atrocious acts, then you should no longer be protected by the rights that normal people have, since you are behaving in an inhuman manner and as such no longer human. In which case any sort of punishment is perfectly justifiable. You dont feel sorry when you crush a cockroach, do you?

I feel today, too many criminals hide behind "human rights" these days in order to avoid punishment, despite committing crimes no normal human would commit. If we started stripping them of these rights for certain crimes, the situation would change. Your average child molester would think long and hard before abusing kids if he knew he faced a very real possibility of getting painfully executed instead of liberals patting him on the back, giving him counseling and releasing him back into society.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote