What do you think about death penalty? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Death penalty: Yes or No?

Yes 23 27.38%
No 54 64.29%
Don't know 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #31
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think about death penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
I don't agree with it because it's the type of thing if you get it wrong once, that is 1 too many.
What government (or body of ) could you trust to not make one mistake?
It's true some people deserve to die, but this.

David Nalbandian ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Nikolay Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #32
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.

Rousseau lays all of this out far more elegantly than I ever could in The Social Contract. Highly recommended reading for all of the childishly confused subversives in these forums who haven't the foggiest idea of the political reality that envelops them.
One of the few Rousseau's mistakes.

"Every criminal becomes a traitor and an enemy to the state. He ceases to be a citizen, and must be removed from society for its protection"

I like Rousseau but this sentence is stupid. Why a traitor to the state should be removed of it? It makes no sense.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #33
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Personally speaking, I'd rather be quickly and relatively painlessly put to death than have to live out my life in jail, or even worse, spend 5 years in a restricted space going mad and not really learning my lesson, just to be eventually let out into a world that has passed me by and doesn't accept me due to my past.

So I think it's underused, especially if there's so little space in prisons.. the way they talk about prisoners is akin to talking about animals, why treat them any differently? Put down the bad seeds, especially repeat offenders. Put them out of their misery and help society at the same time. Sounds harsh, so I'd say give serious offenders a choice just to balance it out and be nice because we're human and as such apparently we automatically deserve better treatment than regular animals: Live out their lives in jail or get death.

I am against the sentencing of people who haven't been properly proved of doing their crime, which happens alot. Getting put to death due to a crime you didn't do, but the judge sees it as sufficient proof even though it isn't would be a bummer. To avoid the suffering, house arrest should be employed more often in scenarios where it isn't clear-cut.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #34
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Monsters who commit intentional murders should be punished in the same way how they've treated their victims.
It refers to human and animal murderers as well.
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
Soft policy towards murderers leads to prison's overload and keeps criminals in a privileged position.

Last edited by EddieNero : 09-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
EddieNero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno.

On one hand, if they did crimes like Osama and those sorts of people, then yes they should be executed.

On the other hand, it's disgusting if they used it for something like drug smuggling, and the person executed may be innocent, so if you execute them, how will you pardon them if they are found to be innocent.

Also, wouldn't the prisoners prefer the death penalty rather than life without parole?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

It kinda works both ways doesn't it? I'll bet Norway wished they had the death penalty after 7/22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
If wasting tax money is a concern: there have been several reports stating that the entire procedure leading up the death penalty + the actual execution is more expensive for the tax payer than putting somebody away for life.

Example of such a report: California Cost Study 2011
The execution itself does not cost taxpayers more than incarceration, it's the appeal process which can last for years.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #37
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
It kinda works both ways doesn't it? I'll bet Norway wished they had the death penalty after 7/22.
Wrong. Norway has responded to the tragic event this summer with the utmost dignity. Trying to recover as a country has been priority #1, not getting revenge.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #38
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Wrong. Norway has responded to the tragic event this summer with the utmost dignity. Trying to recover as a country has been priority #1, not getting revenge.
The death penalty isn't about revenge.

Quote:
Lurĺs said polls show 25% of Norwegians are in favor of the death penalty; among Progress Party members, who are conservative, the figure is 50%. But even the right wing in Norway is not prepared to look toward the U.S. system of life sentences without parole for murder.

"My sense is that people tend to feel that the penitentiary system and the penalties are insufficiently punitive" in Norway, Lurĺs said. "But I think most Norwegians perceive the U.S. criminal system to be far too harsh."
Strange that Norway would think the US system of "life sentences without parole" is much too harsh for the likes of Breivik. He would have most likely received the McVeigh treatment here (i.e., fast-tracked to the electric chair).

My ultimate point being: no system is 100% accurate. For every Troy Davis who is "wrongly" put to death there is a Breivik who desperately needs to be taken out of society's gene pool.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #39
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My ultimate point being: no system is 100% accurate. For every Troy Davis who is "wrongly" put to death there is a Breivik who desperately needs to be taken out of society's gene pool.
I'm confused, are you saying that it's okay to kill an innocent man sometimes so that the truely evil ones get killed also?
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #40
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely against it, except for war crimes, people like bin Laden and so on.

By the way, I had no idea that the US was still doing executions by firing squad. A man chose to die this way a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #41
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Definitely against it, except for war crimes, people like bin Laden and so on.

By the way, I had no idea that the US was still doing executions by firing squad. A man chose to die this way a few years ago.
Utah.

I think that’s the only state. Not sure if it’s still a choice though.

Edit: Those sentenced to death no longer have the choice of a firing squad, but since the law taking away that choice was not retroactive, those previously sentenced to death still had the option.

From Wikipedia.

Quote:
A law passed on March 15, 2004 banned execution by firing squad in Utah, but since that specific law was not retroactive, four inmates on Utah's death row (one, Roberto Arguelles, died of natural causes while on death row) could still opt for execution by firing squad.

Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed by five anonymous officers on June 18, 2010. In February 1996, Gardner threatened to sue to force the state of Utah to execute him by firing squad. He said that he preferred this method of execution because of his "Mormon heritage." Gardner also felt that lawmakers were trying to eliminate the firing squad, in opposition to popular opinion in Utah, because of concern over the state's image in the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Since 1976, when the death penalty was reinstated in the U.S., Utah has executed 7 people. The state has a population of just under 3 million.

Texas with a population of nearly 25 million has had 475 executions. So about 6 times the population and about 9 times the executions.

Here’s the list of executions by state.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/numb...nd-region-1976

Last edited by star : 09-24-2011 at 10:24 PM.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #42
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Completely in support of the death penalty.

To all of those who are so against the idea of a "state" having the right to exercise the death penalty: THE STATE, and the state alone, guarantees your life, "rights," and property.

In the absence of a state, the anarchic "state of nature" rules. What this means, essentially, is that you can be killed or robbed at any time, for any reason, and you have no recourse whatsoever except for what your own personal might allows.

In other words, "the state" is (among other things) a condition of possibility for your very life. We very much take for granted that people are not allowed to simply murder us and steal all of our possessions. But what prevents or deters them from doing this? THE STATE.

That's the reason, for example, that a compulsory military draft, while unfortunate, is justifiable. The state is justified in demanding your service, potentially costing your life, because it is the state that has guaranteed and made your life possible in the first place. You owe the state, however much you may dislike the idea and shirk your responsibilities as a citizen.

When a person makes himself an enemy of the state and threatens its well-being (usually by breaking one or more of its more serious laws, such as murder), the state is justified in taking the life of that individual (in much the same way that murder by self-defense is justified if someone is trying to kill you). A person's "right to life" is only guaranteed by the state, and if he forfeits his relationship to that state, he also forfeits the rights that were guaranteed thereunder.

The death penalty is not so much an act of "revenge" as it is an act of purging a state of the enemies that threaten it's well-being.

Rousseau lays all of this out far more elegantly than I ever could in The Social Contract. Highly recommended reading for all of the childishly confused subversives in these forums who haven't the foggiest idea of the political reality that envelops them.
Don't be so ultimately IGNORANT.
If my country had the Death Penalty (fortunately it doesn't) there would have been at least FOUR innocent people been executed in the past couple of years. Would YOU take the responsibility of that decision?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #43
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is how the Soviet Union justified killing millions and millions of people. Enemies of the state.

It’s a flawed justification for the death penalty no matter how elegantly stated. We may all become enemies of the state. My country was founded by enemies of the state. Most countries have heroes and martyrs who were enemies of the state.

Exactly how do you make yourself an enemy of the state and who determines that you are an enemy of the state? You write “crimes, such as murder” which leads me to believe that you would sanction the death penalty for reasons beyond someone committing murder.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #44
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:

Strange that Norway would think the US system of "life sentences without parole" is much too harsh for the likes of Breivik. He would have most likely received the McVeigh treatment here (i.e., fast-tracked to the electric chair).

McVeigh was not fast tracked to the electric chair. He wanted a quick execution and did not want any appeal. Also — and you know this — not an electric chair.

As for someone being taken out of the gene pool, life imprisonment fulfills that requirement. Also — and you know this — removing one person from reproducing does not in any way shape or form alter the human gene pool.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #45
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Retribution, "justice", whatever. Call it what you want. There are other ways to protect society than frying a person's brain.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief though, USA isn't always right.
Quote:
That's a pretty poor "ultimate point", I have to say. The two systems aren't comparable. If you imprison a person for life and he turns out to be innocent, he just gets released. It's fairly hard to release a guy who turns out to be innocent if he's already been executed. And the thought that someone "desperately needs to be taken out of society's gene pool" is just your personal feelings. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but don't speak like everyone shares it.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote