Novak News & Interviews Vol.2 - Page 77 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #1141
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Thanks Hana. I'm surprised no one else sees Novak as the Naked Cowboy. Or is that question not asked for everyone?
cinny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #1142
country flag Sleepwalker64

Sleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuhrat View Post
Didn't know who Naked Cowboy was until now and Google says the contents for adults.

A few more,

Could have a second calling on Broadway?
Sock: Novak Djokovic. He seems pretty outgoing.

Would be the funniest guest on a talk show?
Sock: Novak. Or maybe myself. I think I’d do pretty well on it.
Hlavackova: This is so hard. It’d have to be… Novak Djokovic!

Would make the funniest tour guide on a sightseeing bus?
Isner: Novak Djokovic.
Shvedova: Novak Djokovic

Of all the players, who do you think is most likely to climb the Empire State Building?
Stosur: Novak Djokovic. He’s pretty lean at the moment, so I reckon he’d do a pretty good job at it.

Love is a powerful thing.

I don't want to put a damper but wonder part of the reason he adds "my" is because there are so many Jelenas in Serbia, including Jankovic.
this is the one I guess

Speak softly and carry a big stick !

사샤
Sleepwalker64 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #1143
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalker64 View Post
this is the one I guess

He sings worse than Nole I ran into a similar one near Hollywood Blvd in LA last time I was there. This guy at least has a jockey while the other guy was wearing a thong
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #1144
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted this in GM, interesting... Murray might get back to my sig after all.

Quote:
Interesting article in the NYTimes today with Murray building his perfect player.

Quote:
After Andy Murray played a nearly perfect 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 trouncing of Milos Raonic, Murray sat down with Straight Sets for his regular post-match question-and-answer session. From the perfect match, he attempted to build the perfect player.

Q. Where would you start? What’s the best shot in tennis history, the one you would most want?

A. I mean, Pete Sampras’s serve would definitely be up there. Guys now obviously serve great, but Sampras also, his second serve, he could hit aces, and he also came in behind his serve, which made it harder to return as well. I’ve spoken to a lot of players that used to play, who played against him. I spoke to Andre Agassi, who played against him, and various other guys, and Sampras’s serve was up there.

Q. So you’d say the serve is the most dangerous shot in tennis?

A. The serve is the most important shot in tennis. Yeah, I mean, if you’re not serving well, it becomes hard to win matches, especially at the highest level. If you look at the guys that are in and around the top of the game just now, and the guys that are coming up, especially, all of them have big serves, big weapons.

Q. Who had the best historic forehand?

A. I’ll take Ivan Lendl. His forehand. Everyone said to me his forehand was just a great shot. I obviously practice with him. He has a nice, slice backhand as well. But his forehand, from what I’ve seen on videos, and what people used to say, he used to just dictate matches with it, make guys do a lot of running as well. It was very accurate and a heavy shot. His was up there.

But also, Rafael Nadal’s as well, because of the lefty and the technology and stuff now, his forehand, when it’s on, is really dangerous.

Q. Lendl is your coach now. Still fear that forehand when you practice against it?

A. No. He’d like to tell everyone that his forehand is still up to scratch, but the game has changed a bit since he played.

Q. Backhand?

A. Novak’s backhand is very, very good. I mean, there’s two different parts to his backhand. The slice backhand as well is very important and topspin backhand. Novak Djokovic is very solid. He returns well off that side. He can pass well off it. He can hit it up the line, cross court. He has a very, very good topspin backhand.

And then, the slice, slice is a tough one. Tim Henman had a fantastic, fantastic slice. His slice was probably one of the best. Because he didn’t have a whole lot of power in it. He used his slice very well to win a lot of matches.

Q. Return? Ability to return? It’s not really a shot per se.

A. That’s a tough one, because someone like Agassi, in terms of returning offensively, he probably had the best return. He could get aced a lot, because he stood very close to the baseline, really went for his returns. But yeah, I mean, in terms of getting returns in play and getting them back, me and Novak return very well now. In the last few years, in terms of statistics and stuff, we’ve been right up there in a lot of the return categories.

The return game has changed a little bit. When you’re playing a guy that’s serving 140 miles an hour, like tonight, you need to just find ways of getting it back. You can’t return offensively against that serve. And also, when Agassi was playing, guys were serve-and-volleying, so you could get away with just blocking the return, getting it back, until you needed to do something with it. So his return was a big strength.

Q. Similar with the volleys? Different now than then?

A. The thing is, there’s a lot of things that go into volleys. Some guys volley well when it’s here, but the actual movement at the net as a whole, I mean, I think Stefan Edberg was probably one of the best movers at the net. Patrick Rafter was great up at the net. Some of the older players, like Rod Laver, had unbelievable volleys. They had great volleys, and perfect technique. Guys don’t have great technique, I don’t think, on the volleys now. But it is so much harder to come to the net, because of the angles that guys can create, and the movement as well. It’s a lot harder to come to the net. The courts are slower. Now, the best volleyers definitely would come from the past.

Q. Footwork? Movement?

A. It’s got to be someone from now. Novak moves unbelievably well. On clay, Rafa is the best mover. Depends a bit on surface. I mean, in terms of, Roger moves unbelievably well. His movement is very underrated. It’s the way that he moves. It saves him a lot of stress on his body and has enabled him to play for a lot longer, because he moves very, he moves calmly. He’s a very modest, efficient mover.

Q. Mental makeup? Intangibles?

A. That’s a tough one. You’ve got to take, probably the guys who have won the most. Rafa mentally is very, very strong. As well it depends a bit on the surface, on clay, mentally he’s incredibly strong, he believes in himself so much on that surface. Roger over the course of his career, the amount that he’s won and the consistency that he’s had, too, to have that mentality every single week, to always reach the latter stages, and to be at the top of the game for so long, that takes a different sort of mental strength. So those two would definitely be up there.
To sum up:

Serve: Sampras
Forehand: Lendl, Nadal
Backhand: Djokovic
Slice Backhand: Henman
Return: Djokovic, Murray, Agassi (but Agassi's return not as suitable these days)
Vollley: Edberg, Rafter, Laver
Movement: Djokovic, Nadal, Federer
Mental Strength: Nadal, Federer
So Nole leads in 3 categories and Fed... none.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #1145
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
He sings worse than Nole I ran into a similar one near Hollywood Blvd in LA last time I was there. This guy at least has a jockey while the other guy was wearing a thong
I'd quote Nole's words, "I sing great, but listening to me is not easy". And the guy's not easy to look at either.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #1146
country flag Amber Spyglass

Location: "I think we are in rats alley,where the dead men lost their bones"
Amber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didn't know who Naked Cowboy was until now and Google says the contents for adults.

Love is a powerful thing.

I don't want to put a damper but wonder part of the reason he adds "my" is because there are so many Jelenas in Serbia, including Jankovic.
And his aunt!
Don't think so really.. Given that he's mentioned her quite a bit on fb, I think in questions or interactions now with his own fans, a "Jelena" without a surname kind of goes without saying that it's his gf unless the context makes it clear that it's Gencic/Jankovic He also said "my Pierre" and there is only one of course so I think it's just a term of affection/endearment
Amber Spyglass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #1147
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinny View Post
Maybe Adje sounds more... girly? That's why Ana says it all the time .
Not really It's pretty much the same as "cmon" and it can often (at least to me) mean something like "cmon ffs"
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #1148
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Looks like we need to yell Idemo than Ajde when cheering for Nole
I have been shouting Ajde for 5 years now.

Quote:
I'd quote Nole's words, "I sing great, but listening to me is not easy". And the guy's not easy to look at either.
When did he say this?
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #1149
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I have been shouting Ajde for 5 years now.

When did he say this?
2nd Q&A from http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=1135

Is there a sport more obsessed by towels?
Quote:
When the match is over, players then want to pinch the towels.
- Novak Djokovic has a stash of Wimbledon towels at home.
Of course you do!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #1150
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Novak.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #1151
country flag shuhrat

Speaking of tournament towels, the defending champions get special towels like this.
Though we don't get to see them though, as he only uses white ones during a match.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #1152
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Speaking of tournament towels, the defending champions get special towels like this.
Though we don't get to see them though, as he only uses white ones during a match.

Is there anything you don't know Hannah?
You should have your own blog next to Tignor's, I would worship you.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #1153
country flag shuhrat

^ I wouldn't have noticed it without Sam's post.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/20...0000006e1.html

[US OPEN] Wednesday, September 5: R4 vs Wawrinka 6-4, 6-1, 3-1(Ret.)

Q. It took a while to get this match played, but at last you got it played and you made short order of it for the most part. Talk about the match itself.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, as you said, I mean, very difficult conditions because we had to wait the whole day yesterday. Spent 10 hours in this club, and then, you know, got eventually to the court and played two games with several interruptions because of the rain. It's never easy, but it's not the first time we are experiencing that. The rain is a factor here in New York. For last four years we had Monday finals and it keeps on happening. Yeah, it is something you cannot affect, obviously. It still believe that it is the most logical solution obviously if you still don't get a roof here is to get covers on the court. I don't understand why a single hard court event does not have and didn't think of covering the court. It obviously saves at least 30 minutes of time if they have ‑‑ if they inflate like they do at Wimbledon and they just get the water down. The courts are practically dry, you know, after the rain stops. It saves 30 minutes and gives more time to players and to play and to tournament. You know, I was asking questions in last couple of years and to the people, you know, at events, Why didn't you come up with this? Really no answer, but they are just saying, It's a good idea, you know. (Laughter.) So it's the most logical thing you can think of. I really hope that they will reconsider in this event and any other hard court event to put at least the covers if the roof is no option.

Q. Were you surprised that Stan retired from the match? I mean, he took the medical timeout in the third set. If he had an injury, didn't seem like it was affecting him too much beforehand.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I really don't know exactly what it was, but by the look of it, I think it was more of a probably a dizziness or something. He called a doctor. So I don't think he was injured, in a way. He served well, he played well, but he was ‑‑ you could see that he didn't feel great on the court. So I guess he'll tell you better.

Q. What is the routine you have to keep your focus and to keep the warmup yesterday and today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I think patience is the key in the end, but is the same for everybody. Obviously you try to get, you know, the best information possible, you know, to know at least what time will you eventually have the rain stopping and how long it will take from that moment on to dry the courts. That will give you an idea of, let's say, an hour and a half window that, you know, will give you an option to eat or to prepare or to rest or to get warmed up. So that's something that you always try to do. As I said, weather conditions is something you cannot affect, but you can always try to be ready on time.

Q. Obviously it's a frustrating scenario that you're faced with and you have had to face a few before and you haven't gotten straight answers. I would imagine there is a sense among players that share your point of view and that there is some exasperation.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. Does that detract from the overall experience of coming here and playing?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, this is still a Grand Slam, still the US Open. I mean, it doesn't change my opinion about this tournament. I still love playing here. But I just think that considering the experiences that we all had with weather in last four, five years, I mean, it's the most logical explanation and solution you can come up with, you know. So I'm sure that they are already thinking about several solutions for upcoming years, but, you know, obviously roof is something that would help the players, the tournament, everybody. But covers is a temporary solution that I don't think it's so difficult to arrange.

Q. Is it frustrating from a scheduling perspective too in that your first three rounds are being done over the course of nine days and now you have to play four matches in five days assuming there is not a Monday final here?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, well, scheduling, you always try to focus on the next opponent and the next match that you have. From scheduling point of view it is frustrating. I mean, you know, in the back of your mind that if you win the match you are gonna have to play the next day. So that's my case right now. You know, so it's not easy because you're playing best‑of‑five. It's a lot of intensity on the court, playing top players, but it's the way it is. It's not the first time we are experiencing that.

Q. When you have asked about these covers, you said they have said it's a good idea. Have they given you any explanation why they haven't done it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: The explanation back in Toronto I remember couple weeks ago where we had really terrible weather conditions ‑ we had to stay two days to play two matches in a row in one day ‑ so the explanation there was the humidity is a concern for those hard courts. If you put the covers down and then it's too humid and, you know, it's not good for the surface itself. But then, you know, I said, Okay, so why don't you just inflate it like they do in Wimbledon? Oh, it's a good idea. Okay. (Laughter.) So that's all I got. I really hope they will seriously do something about it. There is no reason not to. I mean, not just here but in Toronto, big hard court tournaments, Washington. Everywhere, they have the rain at this time of the year. So, you know, you have to try to change something in order to benefit from it. I mean, it's definitely frustrating not just for players but for the tournament that they are losing people coming to the courts, you know, they have to refund the tickets. There's a lot of different angles that you have to, you know, try to cover after the rain.

Q. How do you feel about the way you played? Moving on from the buildup to it.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it was good. Obviously playing just couple games last night and then starting today in a very humid conditions, started a little bit slow and we made couple of breaks in the first set. So it was really important for me to get the first set under my belt so I could get that mental advantage. I think I have done well in important moments I served well. You know, I felt better and better as the match was going on. It was obviously a bit different, because Armstrong is a different court from Ashe. It was my first match there. But, you know, it's great that I haven't spent that much time on the court. I played well, and I'm looking forward to the quarterfinals.

Q. Roddick or Del Potro next round.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, both of them are quality players. Roddick is in a very specific situation here. I mean, it's his last event of his career. He gets a lot of support, you know, which was expected from the crowd. He's the home favorite. Everybody wants to see him going far in the tournament. I mean, he's been playing really well, I have to say. He's always a tough opponent because he has a big serve. If it works well for him, he can beat anybody on a given day. On the other hand, Del Potro is a quality player, you know, somebody that when he's physically fit he can challenge anybody on any surface. You know, it's quarterfinals. There is no really clear favorite anymore. I have to try to play my best.

Q. All the top guys seem to be sailing through at the moment here. Do you feel like the drama is about to start in this tournament in the quarterfinal stage?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I mean, that's something to expect. I mean, as I said, as the tournament goes on the opponents are getting more difficult, and, you know, you have to perform your best. You have to be on top of your game in order to win those matches. You're playing against the top 5, top 10 players now. It's the final stages of a Grand Slam. Everybody has motivation in order to perform their best.

Q. Are you watching your rivals playing on TV?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah. Yeah, I do. I like it. I mean, tennis is my life, so I love watching also tennis. Not myself, though. I don't like watching my matches. Any other is good. Also analyzing the upcoming opponent.

Q. You're scheduled for the night match tomorrow night. Obviously if Andy gets through, how much will you enjoy that atmosphere almost playing the villain?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, as I said, he's the crowd favorite here. In the last tournament everybody wants to give him that confidence boost and extra support to make some upsets, you know. If he gets through, you know, it's gonna be an interesting, definitely interesting match, night session, and we all know how special the night sessions here in New York are.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #1154
country flag shuhrat

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/20...8000006fb.html

[US OPEN] Thursday, September 6: QF vs Del Potro 6-2, 7-6(3), 6-4

Q. How did it feel on some of those rallies where it seemed that your opponent had you out of the point but you kept getting the ball back and turning it into offense?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, it was a straight‑set win, but it was much, much closer and tougher than really the score indicated. I think whoever saw the match, you know, would understand. We played almost three hours. Especially that second set was I think crucial, you know, to get a two‑set advantage and to feel better coming into the third set obviously. It could have gone really either way. It was very long, a lot of important and exciting, long rallies. The crowd got into it. So it was a lot of fun in one way to be a part of this great match. You know, I was aware of his qualities, you know, before the match. He's a big guy, very powerful serve. You know, his first shot is great, especially from the forehand side. He moves really well for his size. You know, I tried to be, you know, aggressive and get him moving. I knew the longer the rally goes, you know, I would have more chance. But I couldn't make it all the time because he was very aggressive staying close to the line. But, you know, I managed to play a great game 5‑4 second set and turned things around.

Q. This is I would have to think, the greatest challenge you have had in this tournament so far.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: For sure.

Q. A player playing as well as Juan Martin played would have to test your best. I think that's probably very important when you get to the semifinals of a Grand Slam to have needed to dig as deep as you dug tonight. David played great today, so it's going to be a tough match.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Of course. Look, I didn't expect anything less. I mean, Del Potro is a Grand Slam winner; he loves playing here. As I said, I was very much aware of how good he is and how powerful he can play and how dangerous he can be on this surface. He loves playing on the big stage. I knew that. I lost, you know, important match in Olympic Games this year, and we played some really great matches. I didn't expect, you know, to win easy. That's for sure. I knew that he's going to kind of elevate his level in that second set. He was making a lot of first serves in, so I tried to stay in there. As I said, you know, the second set was probably a turning point.

Q. Did you see Janko and David's match at all today?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, yeah, sure.

Q. And the way that David played, you know...
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: They both played really well. I thought Janko was unfortunate in the end to, you know, physically get exhausted and tired. And you could feel that, you know. If he had a little bit maybe left in the tank he could have won the match. He was 4‑1‑up in the fifth set. So, I mean, David is a fighter. He's one of the biggest competitors we have in the game. People do not, I think, talk too much. They overlook him. But he has been one of the most consistent players on the tour. He plays great on every surface. You need to earn your points against him.

Q. When you play a match like this when the level was very high and sometimes unbelievable shots, when you get out do you rank it? Do you say, Okay, it was the best match of my season, second‑best match of my season?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I don't rank it, but, you know, I have played really well when I needed to today. As I said, you know, second set went the distance and the crowd was into it. After some points in the tiebreaker, you know, we both got standing ovation and applause. That was an incredible feeling for a player to see. Then you get more excited and motivated to play even better, you know. So, I mean, probably one of the better sets I have played in 2012, for sure. I mean, he's a great opponent.

Q. The backhand down the line, do you remember this feeling you had last year when you can just hit it like tonight and it's keeping in, in, in, again and again?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, yeah, in important moments probably decided hitting that backhand along the line. But tactically I knew he likes to be in the backhand corner and playing inside‑out forehand. He has a powerful forehand, so I needed to take him out of his comfort zone. You know, I was trying to be as aggressive as possible. So it worked when it needed to work.

Q. Do you ever get impatient during the Grand Slams when you haven't had a great, dramatic match and you're winning easily and you're saying to yourself, I really can't wait to have a big day match or night match and the crowd is excited and it's competitive?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I guess the final stages of a Grand Slam, you know, take the best out of our each individual player who is participating in these final stages, you know. You know you're going to have a tougher opponent, better‑ranked opponent, high‑quality tennis, and you need to rise up to the occasion. That's something that is expected. You're coming into the match against top‑10 player knowing that you have to come up with your A game. You have to play really well, play very solid, and, you know, hope that you can win.

Q. What does it mean to you to be defending the championship? How does that affect your mentality during this tournament?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It doesn't affect much because I have already quite a lot of experience, you know, with that. The first time when I defended my Grand Slam title was 2009 in Australia. You know, it was a difficult period for me because I face it for the first time and pressure got the best of me. But then I have learned over the years how to deal with it and how to cope with the pressure and get better on the court, off the court, understand the game better. So right now, I mean, I just try to focus on every game individually, but it definitely has a special feeling about it coming as a defending champion. It's unique and I love it.

Q. Earlier this year you got within one match of winning four matches in a row, and at this tournament it's the 50th anniversary of Laver winning four matches in a row. I just wanted to know your thoughts on what you think of that as an achievement for him; and given you got so close maybe you can comment on how difficult...
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: You're talking about four Grand Slams in a row?

Q. Yeah. It's 50 years this year.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, yeah. Well, Rod Laver is one of the biggest, one of the greatest we had in the game. You know, obviously I have lots of respect for him. I'm too young. I haven't seen him play. But to be able to receive a trophy this year in Australia from him was something special, something I will truly remember. Yes, I did have my chance to make it four in a row but I haven't done it. Just coming to the Roland Garros finals this year was a step further than I had ever done, so for me that was satisfying. I'll keep on trying. You know, I still feel that I have a lot of years to come.

Q. You're talking about the tiebreaker, the point that made it 6‑3; that was probably the best point of the match. Just break it down, what you're thinking while it's going on and then afterwards with the reaction and everything.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: (Smiling.) Well, I have tried to focus on every point that is coming up, so obviously it's better to be 6‑3‑up than 6‑3 down, because then you feel more confident going for the shot that I went for on set point with that backhand along the line. I was in a defending position, but I felt that that was the moment to take the chance, and I have done it. So the reaction of the crowd was incredible and I just enjoyed it.

Q. This is the first time in your career that you have been in a Grand Slam semifinal and neither Roger or Rafa haven't been in there. Does it feel a little bit different tournament‑wise?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: For me it's really the same, you know, because I take it very seriously whoever I have to face, you know, in the next round. You know, you have Murray, Berdych, Ferrer, myself, we're all top‑10 players. For maybe some people it was surprising to see Roger lose because he's been so consistent and dominant, you know, player in the last couple of years. He's always expected to get to at least semifinals of every Grand Slam. But look, you know, Berdych deserved to win. He came up with incredible tennis. I have never seen him play that well. This is tennis. You know, everybody is trying and has, I think, motivation more to perform their best when they're in a big stage playing against the top players, the favorites. I still feel that we are having a really good tournament.

Q. You played for your country; you're very proud of playing for your country. Only two times Juan Martin has beaten you was Davis Cup and of course at Wimbledon. Does that distinguish him in any way when you face him? I am not asking if you have a vendetta against him for those things, but I know those losses hurt differently maybe.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, yeah, when you're playing for your country it's a different feeling. I guess I didn't expect too much from myself in the Davis Cup last year, because, you know, I made the decision with the captain to play that match even though I wasn't even close to 100% fit and I arrived two days before the match injured. But, you know, it's the way it is. You learn from experiences. I got injured that kept me away from the tour for two months and I really couldn't recover until the end of the year. But then, you know, the Olympic Games, it was a big match for both of us, the last chance for a medal; didn't get it. It hurt me emotionally for sure, because, you know, you represent your country. That's a very, a rare, I guess, opportunity for a player. It doesn't change much really when I face him. He's a great guy. I get along with him really, really well off the court. We are good friends. You know, when we step on the court we want to win. Doesn't matter, you know, which match, which tournament.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #1155
country flag Nole fan

The Fedal questions are getting stale.

Novak Djokovic nº1!