Novak News & Interviews Vol.2 - Page 75 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #1111
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Thanks Hannah! Loved all that stuff about Uniqlo, wow things like those never cease to amaze me. I wonder about the seams though, why does he wants to feel them?
I'm curious too. Normally people don't like the feeling, don't they?
(And somehow it reminds of this scene from The Office. )

Quote:
Interesting stuff anyway. And we all agree with Mr/Miss Dhani Mau of course.
You'd like this.

Novak Djokovic Unzips at Uniqlo, Causes Commotion on Fifth Ave

At 6’2”, sinewy, with a summery brown sugar complexion and a smile that is sure to make you melt, Serbia’s Novak Djokovic cuts a fine figure. ...

Subsequently, Mr. Takizawa highlighted the innovative technology and advanced design aspects of the tennis suit: Cooling fabrics for warm weather play and sweat-absorbent, quick-dry materials too keep the world’s No. 2 tennis player comfortable. The color scheme of navy, white and touches of red, Mr. Takizawa said, was inspired by the national flag of Serbia. On and on it went, but how could The Observer focus on all that design banter with Mr. Djokovic, a smoldering Adonis of a man, just inches away, elevated on a stool? It was nearly impossible.

... Mr. Djokovic then demonstrated the “quick-action” component of his designer duds. Mr. Takizawa had designed a unique zipper feature, making it a cinch to take it all off. Mr. Djokovic modeled his warm-up jacket’s quick-action by tearing off his top in one swift movement. It’s not often that you get to have a tennis star shed off layers with such ferocity.

... That was all the intimate time we were allowed before the floodgates were opened and screaming tennis fans poured into the store for their moment up-close and personal. Mr. Djokovic descended suavely down the three-story escalator like a dreamy movie star, ready to address his sea of devotees.

http://essentialhommemag.com/uniqlo-novak-djokovic/

Now about that zipper—Uniqlo’s designed it for spontaneity, meaning that you can either unzip it old-school (by pulling down the zipper) or by just ripping off, like how Mary Louise Parker loves to do to the button ups on her male suitors on Weeds. Or like how Superman does when he’s ready to take off. Another stand out feature are the terry cloth pockets in the shorts, which serve to eliminate sweat from your hands when you’re in the heat of a game. Here’s a collection that’s been well thought out.

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/30034

Tennis Panorama News asked Djokovic about how much input he had into the design and how did he and the designer worked together to create the outfits.

Djokovic said: “Well first of all in the beginning of our cooperation I was very impressed with professionalism and the commitment from the people and of course with Mr. Takizawa (the designer).

“All the people were coming to take all my measures and they were really trying to get as much information on the previous clothes that I was wearing and try to get even more advanced materials, fabrics. Better clothes that would suit me better that would be more comfortable on me so we had been collaboration for the last 3 or 4 months, I was very impressed with all of the lines that they had so far as you can see.

“We try to get together as much as we can every couple of months we sit down and we talk about the upcoming collection and lines.”

UNIQLO News Conference with Novak Djokovic (audio)
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #1112
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hannah.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nº2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #1113
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

[US OPEN] Saturday, August 25: Pre-Tournment

Q. The sports press is saying that you got the perfect draw in the US Open; that you don't have to face potentially Roger Federer or Andy Murray until the final. Do you think you got the perfect draw?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don't think there is a perfect draw, to be honest with you. The draw is something that you cannot affect. It's a question of luck, obviously. You know, there are 128 players here who have plenty of motivation to perform their best in the Grand Slam, the last major of the year, so I'm sure that they want to cause some upsets in the opening round. I'm truly taking one step at a time. You know, I had good and bad draws in the past, but as I said, it's something I cannot affect, so I'm not calculating or predicting anything. I'm just trying to focus on my game, which is the most important thing.

Q. Early round upsets haven't happened to the big four for a long time ‑ until Wimbledon this year when Rosol beat Nadal in the second round. Do you think that gave guys outside the top 20 or so a lot more belief they can actually get one of you four guys in the early rounds? Do you think it will change things in this tournament?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: For sure. I mean, that upset from Lukas Rosol in Wimbledon against Nadal. And plenty more examples from a bit lower‑ranked players winning against the top players of the world proves tennis has improved, tennis is a very competitive sport. Everybody's working very hard. I'm sure you all know that. You know, just the difference I guess between the top players and the rest is that ability to understand the pressure and accept the challenge and know what to play in the right moments. But other than that, there is not much difference. They're fantastic players nowadays on the tour who can play equally well as the top guys.

Q. Do you think there has been some belief flattening in the rest of the ATP field?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Belief in what sense?

Q. That they could actually beat one of the top four guys.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think there are many players that can, especially the ones who are top 20. But you had an example, and you just said about it. Rosol beat Nadal. It was back in Wimbledon and was maybe 90, 100 in the world. On a given day, everything goes your way. Obviously when you're playing best‑of‑five and playing in the Grand Slams it's more difficult because you have to play consistently well throughout the whole match. But it can happen. I mean, anything is possible.

Q. You have this aura of great energy around you. The US Open has this tremendous energy. Can a tournament like this, do you think it brings the best in you?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think so. I feel this energy, and I love playing in this tournament; last five years I have had lots of success. Twice I played finals, semifinals, and won eventually the title in 2011, which was, you know, the third major of the year. It's incredible and very unique feeling to come back to New York as defending champion. It's one of the most exciting cities in the world. So you definitely can feel that. You know, especially the night matches that you play as a player here and in front of the packed stadium. It's a lot of entertainment, a lot of fun. Interactions with people, with fans, they get into every point, they play with you, so it's quite different from all the other tournaments. Every Grand Slam obviously has something unique to offer.

Q. I believe your youth coach was quoted as saying there are issues you're dealing with that you're not speaking about. Can you give your reaction to what your coach said, former coach?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Look, Jelena is one of the first coaches. I mean, she taught me all the basic stuff about tennis. She helped me a lot in my life. She knows me well. We haven't seen each other so often in the last five, six years. We are still in touch. It was great feeling to share our dream. I can say "ours" because it was her dream also to win a Wimbledon trophy and to be out there with her. Everybody has an opinion. I'm sure she didn't mean any harm, and everybody can observe the situation around me, around, you know, a regular person on different kind of ways. I'm not gonna say anything about that, you know, because everybody has problems. I'm sure that you all agree. You know, my problems are much smaller than an average person's problems. I cannot complain about my life.

Q. How would you describe your mindset right now and the level of your game? Do you feel the season has been emotionally draining?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's been a long season and a long summer, but my year has been really good. You know, it's hard to compare obviously with 2011, even though I have got that question asked many times this year. You know, what has changed from 2011. But I actually try to always look from a positive side. I do feel physically stronger and very prepared than I did last year. Mentally I had some ups and downs throughout the season, but I think that was maybe expected in a way. It's normal to have ups and downs. I mean, it's really hard to expect that I can go, you know, five, six months every year without losing a match, so, I mean ‑‑ on this level. But as I said, I feel good. You know, I had exhausting four‑and‑a‑half weeks and also successful. I was very glad that I had a very successful Toronto and Cincinnati tournament. Coming into US Open, it was very important for me to get into some hard court matches. Hard court is my most preferred surface, so I really look forward to the start of this major.

Q. What appreciation do you have for the way Serena Williams has been dominating on the women's side? In your estimation, what kind of statement is she making about her place in the history of the game?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's incredible. I mean, nobody knows where she's going to stop and she keeps on going and keeps dominating and winning most of her matches. The big events, that's what she aims for. Right now maybe she's going to answer better, but I guess physically now at this stage of her career she cannot maybe travel full time on the tour and play all the tournaments, but she always is always performing her best in the majors. She won singles‑doubles Wimbledon and also Olympic Games. You know, she's fantastic. I mean, a great role model for many kids who want to start playing tennis.

Q. What goes through your mind when you watch her play?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I'm happy I'm in men's tennis, you know. (Laughter.) Not needing to face her.

Q. On the men's side there has not been too much U.S. in the US Open in the last decade. Is that a concern for the industry? There has been an absence of American men's tennis here. Andy Roddick was probably the last favorite, but is it a concern of the industry?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: USA is a huge country, one of the most influential countries in the world, and I'm sure that tennis tradition is something that is nurtured over the years. Andy Roddick is the last Grand Slam winner and No. 1 of the world and comes from America, but I'm sure that the new wave of success in tennis, men's tennis, for United States is coming, because, you know, it's just impossible not to expect to not have any success from a system like this, having obviously USTA, organization that invests a lot in the young talents. I'm sure that they are coming up. I mean, it's normal to have, as I said, ups and downs in the life.

Q. When you think back about that forehand on match point against Federer, a year later, what do you think about that?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It brings me the nicest memories, that's for sure. That point, you know, saved me from losing the semifinals and giving me the opportunity to win the title. I have done it. I mean, this is another example that on this highest level in men's tennis, few ‑ maybe one point, one shot ‑ can decide a winner. Yeah, it was a great shot, and, you know, it's something that I will remember forever.

Q. Does it feel strange to be at a slam and not have Rafa around?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it is strange because he hasn't missed a slam for a long time. I think neither of us top four have really missed a slam for a long time, which can only work in favor of the sport. I think that's why it's one of the reasons why we are experiencing a great era of men's tennis, because all the top players are really committed in their performing and all the top events and, you know, reaching the final stages of those events. So Rafa is a great competitor and somebody I know really well on and off the court. I'm sure that there is something serious going on, you know, because otherwise he would come here and play. So I know it's in a way a loss for the tournament and, you know, for tennis itself, because he's greatly appreciated, successful, and very popular athlete around the world. But, you know, I wish him a speedy recovery, obviously.

Q. What does Kim Clijsters mean to tennis? What are your thoughts on her retiring after this major?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: She's retiring after US Open? Okay. I mean, another great. I mean, great, very successful player. She won three times US Open, if I'm not mistaken. She comes from a country that also has a long successful tennis tradition. Her and Justine Henin obviously driving Belgium into the top of the tennis world. She's gonna be missed. That's for sure. She's very popular around here, especially in states where she had a lot of success. Hopefully she can make a great last US Open.

Q. When you first emerged and got to the top of the game, there were Serbian women along with you making the rise. Now Jankovic is out of the top 30 and Ivanovic hasn't made a Grand Slam quarterfinal since she won the French Open. What do you think each of them needs to do to get back to where they were?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, the bottom line is this is a mental game in the end. As I said before, everybody's practicing really hard, both men's and women's, and, you know, the tennis world has changed so much, I mean, since I have started playing professionally. It's much more professional, much more challenging for all the players to be at the top and to win Grand Slams. There's a lot of competition out there, so I think in the end mentally they need to overcome, you know, the pressure, the issues, and start believing on the court that they can actually do it. Because Jankovic was No. 1 of the world. Ivanovic, too; she won a Grand Slam. That means they have the quality and ability to do so. I sincerely hope they will again.

Q. I have to bring up the unfortunate subject due to ongoing stories of the last couple of days. Not just only the Lance Armstrong story, but for example a journalist accused Derek Jeter on a live TV show. A lot of issue and rumor in last couple of weeks, months, doping, drugs. I think the world is waiting for an answer. Is sport in crisis? You are an excellent ambassador of the sport. What is your reaction of this? Is sport in crisis, and what is your personal opinion about these things?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, obviously when I heard that story and many others I'm disappointed, as an athlete, you know, because I know how much it takes to get to where we are and on the top of our own sport, how much sacrifice, commitment, hard work. So, you know, I'm not really trying to make, you know, statement here of whose fault is it or not. I leave that to authorities and obviously the authorized organizations to claim who's positive or not. In the end we are all seeking to have pure sport, you know, in every sense of that word. I'm happy that in tennis we do not have that many cases, and we are trying to keep that going, you know, to keep tradition and to protect the integrity of the sport. Obviously that's something that sends a strong message about our sport also to young kids that you mentioned, because they look up for heros and they look for role models that are going to motivate them to become professionals.

It seems like half of the questions are about someone else. Serena, Kim, Rafa, US tennis, Ana/JJ or Armstrong/Jeter. Does he even know who Derek Jeter is?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1114
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hana for the articles.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #1115
country flag shuhrat

VIDEO: Round1, Press Conference

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/20...0000005c9.html

[US OPEN] Tuesday, August 28: R1 vs Lorenzi 6-1, 6-0, 6-1

Q. What do you take out of this kind of first round?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I'll take the performance that I had. You know, it's hard to say anything from Lorenzi's perspective. Obviously, I tried to analyze my game, and my game was great from the start to the end. You know, it's also important for me to try to be as economical with the time I spend on the court as possible, but obviously not underestimating any opponent. I played really focused, tried to get to the net also. It was great all in all.

Q. When you're in the middle of a match like that where he's acting like it's a miracle when he wins a game, do you have any trouble focusing?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I have no trouble. I mean, I've had many matches in my career. As I said, I try to focus on my side, on what I can do in order to win that match as fast as possible, best way possible. You know, it was a great performance.

Q. How long did it take you to learn that routine on Arthur Ashe Stadium?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Five minutes before we came to the court, to be honest. There was no tennis plan for us, but it was exceptional fun. It was great to be with Missy on the same side of the court. She's so young and already successful having five, six medals. We had Call Me Maybe song that brought all the stadium on their feet. It was quite interesting. I haven't done much of that in my career.

Q. You love entertainment, you have a great personality. How do you think your life would have changed if Jelena never showed up in your village?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it's hard to go back and say what if the turn of events went the other side, what happened if I didn't play tennis, if Jelena didn't show up. I believe in life everything happens for a reason. It was kind of a destiny for me to be part of this sport. I didn't follow any family tradition because nobody ever played tennis in my family. I grew up on the mountain with skis. Yes, I come from a sport family but not tennis. I fell in love, you know, from the first moment when I was four years old, when I saw it for the first time. I asked my father to buy me a racquet. That's it. I was fortunate in my early stages of my career to be working with the people that have great knowledge and love for this sport. Jelena was one of them obviously.

Q. Some say the Davis Cup kick‑started something in you. Then you have the Olympics. Can you talk about the national triumph of Davis Cup and then the sorrow of the Olympics.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I cannot speak in the name of all players. Obviously, everybody is different. Everybody has an obviously different way to approach when they play individual tournaments and when they play for their nation. For me, I'm very emotional. I always feel more excitement, maybe more responsibility and pressure when I get to play Davis Cup and Olympic Games now. It's a very rare occasion in our sport because we get to play mostly for ourselves because we're individual athletes. I can't wait to play Davis Cup. It's always been a blast for all of us. We are great friends, all us tennis players from Serbia. We know each other for a long time. There is this team atmosphere that you get to experience a few times a year that is really irreplaceable. When you win a trophy, you get to share it with everybody. When you win a trophy you are an individual alone on the court.

Q. Are you making a conscious effort this year to come to the net more, and if so, why?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Because I feel my net game isn't that bad and I should, you know, use the opportunity when I have from baseline rally. I have many times a chance to come to the net and finish off the point earlier. That's a part of a game which I was working on with my team. You know, it takes time. I am aware of that. I've learned throughout my career to be patient, you know, to work and to stay dedicated and things will, you know, come to their place and I will get results. Obviously I'm a baseline player. You know, I don't want to change the game upside down, you know. But I think that having that variety of coming to the net, chip‑and‑charging sometimes, serving and volleying, it's important to today's tennis.

Q. Is it a matter of conserving energy at times?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: For sure. It's a great example. Even though with the surfaces, I think, comparing to maybe 10, 15 years ago, are slower, the players are much better returners than they were years ago, so it's a mental thing I think in the end. If you get to the net, you have across the net maybe Nadal and Murray, they pass you three out of three times, you know, you're going to question yourself if you're going to come to the net again. That's something that goes through your mind, but obviously it also conserves energy and it's great to have that asset.

Q. Going back to Melbourne, since then it's been a big year, lots of high‑pressure moments for you. Are you still feeling fresh? Are you still as up as you were at the start of the year?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I am always motivated. Physically you go through stages where you're more or less tired, exhausted from all the weeks that you play. But in this moment I feel good. This is the last major of the year. It's played on my favorite surface, you know, that suits me the best. I would really like to go far in this tournament. You know, I've been aiming for that obviously. Then we'll see how it goes. We all knew we're going to have a very busy summer because it's Olympic year. But generally it has been a great 2012 for me.

Q. It's always a tricky thing to analyze humor and joking around. It's so important in your life. Talk about the role of humor in your career. Does it take pressure off, give you a light side?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, just having fun really. In life, in my opinion, it's very important in order to embrace whatever life brings you, you know. Yes, we need to be professional, committed, focused on what we do. Our profession brings us a lot of success, you know. A lot of pressure, important moments, a lot of challenges, but also a lot of joy. Depends on how you look at it. I always try to take everything from a bright, positive side. I'm fortunate because I have a great team of people around me. That's where there's a big source of positive energy for me. You know, we try to joke around all the time. That's us.

Q. Was that impersonation of Rafa all those years ago one thing that you regret?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don't regret anything. I've done things in life that might be considered as mistakes, depending from what angle you're analyzing those actions of certain individuals. But deep in my heart I never had any intention of hurting or insulting anybody in my life ever. That's the most important thing. The only purpose of my imitations and joking, if you want to call it that way, is to have fun and bring the smile to the people's face.

Last edited by shuhrat : 08-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #1116
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuhrat View Post
Hana do you get some sort of notification when Nole's 'things' arrive? Or how often do you check ?

cinny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #1117
country flag shuhrat

A bit of both I'd say. With time, you just get to know when/where/how to get them.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #1118
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuhrat View Post
A bit of both I'd say. With time, you just get to know when/where/how to get them.
Or you just carry a special "Nole bell", ringing every time there is something .
cinny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #1119
country flag shuhrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinny View Post
Or you just carry a special "Nole bell", ringing every time there is something .
It's actually a great idea! If only there were such a thing!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1120
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice interview from Nole, thanks hannah. I love seeing him this positive and relax despite not achieving this year everything he wanted. Work and motivation is all he needs and I'm happy he's constantly improving on his game with the net play and such.

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #1121
country flag shuhrat

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/20...800000645.html

[US OPEN] Friday, August 31: R2 vs Dutra Silva 6-2, 6-1, 6-2

Q. Are you very pleased with the business of the day?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, very pleased. It was different conditions today obviously from the first matches I played, the night session. I didn't know much about my opponent. Never saw him play. So that could have been, you know, a difficulty at the start in order to figure out what his game plan is. But I have played well, you know, from the start to the end.

Q. What happened in that point early in the third set where you lobbed it back to your opponent?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Trust me, I still don't know what happened. (Laughter.) I mean, I thought that I have heard the line umpire say Out, you know, and then I stopped. I mean, I got the ball back. He got the ball back. I let it bounce twice. Yeah, it was a funny situation. Never happened before. But, I mean, it's interesting.

Q. What are your thoughts on Kim's retirement? You always seem to have a fun relationship with her.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, she's great. We participated together in many of the charity events and kids' days here in the States and Australia as well this year. Well, she is one of the greats of the sport. She won three titles here and played No. 1 of the world and had a great rivalries with the Williams sisters and Justine. You know, I think she took Belgium tennis to another level, so it's definitely, you know, gonna be a loss for women's tennis to not have her around. But, you know, yeah, I think she felt that it was time for her to retire. And we have another one from yesterday, obviously Andy, and so it's interesting to see. It's a bit surprising, but that's how the life goes.

Q. If you could switch gears and go back to last year in the semis and the shot of your return of serve, could you just reflect on that? Was there an element of luck? Did you just go for it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I went for it. I went for it, and it brings me the best memories from last year's semifinal. Obviously came in the right moment. I could not have asked for more. At that point it was two match points down, and, I mean, I anticipated well and I hit the ball well. So, you know, luck is always definitely welcomed and needed at that stage, but I didn't mishit the ball. I just anticipated well and hit it well in the great timing.

Q. Can you say that in a way it was an extension of this great season you had and that belief that it was there?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah. Well, you know, when you're winning many matches and you have, you know, great six, seven months of the year, you win titles and major events, then your confidence is rising. You definitely consider hitting those shots at that stage more than when you don't feel that confident on the court.

Q. Is that the single most important shot in your career?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, under the circumstances I probably would rate it right at the top, yes.

Q. You mentioned Andy retiring. You obviously some way off from doing so hopefully. It's a reminder of how quickly a sports career can come and go. To just remind you, if you need any reminding, that you've got to seize the opportunity when you have it, which is obviously right now. And maybe, you know, you're having a great season, but it's so hard to emulate the season you had last year. Does it just sort of show when you get an opportunity you've got to take it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, when you have the opportunity you obviously do your best in order to take it and seize it, as you said. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. That's sport. You know, you win and you lose, but the sport makes you a bigger, better competitor and better person. You learn that hard work pays off in the end and the dedication and professionalism. You know, that's why we are all here. That's why we are competing. We have a big love for this sport. Andy's situation just shows how quickly everything can turn around. But, you know, I have listened to his press conference yesterday; I admired his career. He was one of the greatest competitors around. You know, probably biggest serve ever. I'm sure that himself he's proud of his career, and, you know, all American tennis should be. I mean, definitely he made a history in our sport. I guess he felt that it's time for him to move on, to stop playing tennis, and to do something else. The great thing that he said yesterday is that he wants to continue on his legacy of playing tennis and try to transfer that knowledge to somebody that is coming up that needs help from such a champion. So that's great, you know. You want to kind of share the love for the sport and your knowledge and experiences with somebody else that wants to become like you.

Q. In terms of your motivation ‑ I know you have been asked variations on this before ‑ but obviously you had such a legendary streak last year and achieved No. 1 in the world. This year Roger has been resurgent and returned to No. 1 and you obviously are No. 2. Talk about just what you could take out of last year. Can it sometimes be a burden in that you set such a high mark for yourself, or is it all positive? Is it all that I've done it before and I can try to do it again?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, I have never had in my career such a long streak of victories, you know, six months without losing a match. Was incredible, you know, to be part of that. It was very difficult for myself to ask for another six months like that. Maybe that's once in a lifetime that you get to experience such a great season. Yes, I have maybe set very high standards and expectations for myself. So 2012 comparing to 2011 isn't as successful, you know, titles‑wise, but I feel physically better than I did last season, so for me that's a positive. I always try to take the best out of all these experiences and out of that season. For me, the positive also is that knowing that I can play that well gives me a lot of confidence. I improved on different kinds of surfaces. I won my first Wimbledon trophy, and grass obviously is not my most preferred surface. But, you know, it opened the doors for me on that surface, and, you know, gave my confidence level a great boost. So, you know, I'm going to try to carry that on as I have done this year.

Q. Do you feel reenergized when you're out there on Arthur Ashe where you have had the great success last year, particularly the last two matches?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I mean, winning three majors in one year was a tremendous achievement for me. I could not have asked for more at that point. I mean, last five years I have been reaching at least semifinals here in US Open, so I love this place. I love the energy and the crowd. You know, it's just suitable to my style of the game. Hard court is my most preferred surface. So I really want to do well here, as all the other players who are taking a part in this tournament.

Q. You talk about the match, the conditions. With the heat being as high as it was, was it important to win quickly so you weren't out there any longer?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, obviously I want to spend less time as possible on the court. I have played a lot of tennis, a lot of matches, through the course of this summer. I had also two long weeks in hard courts in Toronto and Cincinnati, so the lack of matches is not something that is worrying me. Actually, I just want to focus and try to win in straight sets every match that I play on.

Q. What was the dance about?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It was about the song. It was on the kids' day. It got into my mind. It's quite catchy. Every time I hear it, it's good energy. (Laughing.)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #1122
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
So 2012 comparing to 2011 isn't as successful, you know, titles‑wise, but I feel physically better than I did last season
Interesting, good to know.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #1123
country flag Nole fan

I knew all along that Tignor is a coveted Nole (and rafa) fan. And he confirmed through his Fan Series that he's not the biggest fan of Federer. I can truly identify with his reasons.

Quote:
As a fan of his, Joella, is there anything that does bother you about Federer? I guess it's in the nature of a fan to accept flaws, or at least forget them. For example, I like Novak Djokovic (I'm not saying he's my favorite player, etc, etc,. just that I do like him). When he smashed a hole in his courtside bench in the French Open final, did I like that? Did I think that was just Nole being Nole, doing what he had to do? No, not at all; it was a childish move. But by the end of the match, did I like Djokovic any less? No. I think we instinctively like or dislike a player, and then we try to explain it rationally afterward, but there's really not much that's rational about it.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #1124
country flag appleGirl

appleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond reputeappleGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Tignor's more of a Rafa fan for sure, but it's obvious that he appreciates Nole, I like that

TT Singles: 105 (Best: 80) 2011: Fürth CH W, Izmir CH W, Seoul CH W, Sao Jose Do Rio Preto CH W; 2012: Tiburon CH W
TT Doubles: 48 (Best: 42) 2011: Izmir CH W (w/ Mahqz); 2012: US Open SF (w/Mahqz), Tiburon CH W (w/Mahqz), Antalya Fut W (w/Mahqz); 2013: Winston Salem W (w/Mahqz), US Open SF (w/Mahqz)
No.1vak Djokovic!

"Is something unbelievable how he returns, no? His return probably is one of the best of the history. That's my opinion, no? I never played against a player who's able to return like this. Almost every time." - R. Nadal about N. Djokovic
appleGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #1125
country flag shuhrat

Not exactly news but since we have discussed this issue before.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/G.../Djokovic.aspx

Djokovic Leaves CAA Sports, Says It Was Time "To Move On"

Tennis player Novak Djokovic has “ended his relationship with CAA Sports and is shopping for new representation,” according to Daniel Kaplan of the SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. Djokovic said, “I ended that contract; I am without an agency at the moment. … A transition period is kind of going on right now. I have had a contract with (CAA) I think for four years. … I tried to work it out, and it was successful, but I think I needed to move on.” Many tennis insiders believe Djokovic “will land at IMG.” Kaplan noted fellow players Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer “boast lucrative endorsement portfolios, almost all of which, if not entirely, were negotiated by IMG.” Djokovic, however, “has not found the same market for non-endemic endorsements as Nadal and Federer, and it’s uncertain if new representation could change that.” Two of his largest endemic deals, “racket and apparel, were handled by CAA Sports, and the agency will continue to receive those commissions going forward.” A source said that his apparel deal with Japanese company Uniqlo, “which was announced in May, is for the next five years; his Head racket deal goes for three more years.” Djokovic said, “I am ending most of my contracts that I had from previous years and now I am actually negotiating with many companies for the future.” (From SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL, 8/27 issue. You need a SBD account to read the rest.)