Novak News & Interviews Vol.2 - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #151
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Djokovic wins over tough crowd

Sun Sep 11 09:04AM

Novak Djokovic staged an epic comeback against Roger Fededer to reach the US Open final and in doing so won over the hearts of the New York crowd.

Federer has long been the darling of the Flushing Meadows crowd - you don't win five titles there without picking up a little bit of love on the way - but things might just have changed on Arthur Ashe on what did indeed prove to be a super Saturday of action.

They love a winner in New York and Djokovic is most certainly that. But Federer has long been the crowd's favourite, deservedly so, and it was the Swiss who enjoyed most of the support during their semi-final.

That is until Djokovic was staring two match points in the face. He saved the first with a wonder shot before turning to the crowd and appealing for a bit of recognition. They responded and showered him with the appreciation he deserved, leaving the Serb to get back to the business of saving the second and going on to win the next three sets and seal a remarkable victory.
enze88er

"I needed to get some energy from the crowd. It was normal to expect they were a little bit more on the side of Roger, maybe the greatest player ever. It was no surprise," Djokovic said.

"But I thought at that certain moment I had to get some of the crowd energy behind me. And it worked."

The crowd's cheering of the Serb may well have provided further proof, if it were needed, of a changing of the guard in men's tennis. The Flushing Meadows faithful have a new hero, and his name is Djokovic.

In a country so obsessed by winning, it's perhaps fitting that a man with a win record of 63-2 this season should take over the mantle from Federer. And if he can now just beat Rafael Nadal in Monday's final and add the US Open to his burgeoning collection of Grand Slam titles, he will be able to confirm his status as the new darling of New York.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #152
country flag Sleepwalker64

Sleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond repute

He won Wimbledon Hermosa, you know that?

Speak softly and carry a big stick !

사샤
Sleepwalker64 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #153
country flag SatineSalvatore

SatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalker64 View Post
let her enjoy

Tyrion Lannister

Janko Tipsarevic / SRBIJA

TRUEbie. LOSTie. Oasis. Guns N' Roses. FC Barcelona. rest is optional

http://tuc-tuc-jankela.tumblr.com
SatineSalvatore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #154
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalker64 View Post
Wimbledon isn't exactly a tough crowd, unless you think a typical opera crowd can be tough
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #155
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Wimbledon isn't exactly a tough crowd, unless you think a typical opera crowd can be tough
He was jokingly nitpicking that it was weeks old news.

I didn't know there was an English version of this article. Yeah, another a few days old news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?...-djokovicsdiet

LONDON -- Ever since eliminating pizza from his diet, Novak Djokovic has been on a roll.

Djokovic has been boasting all season about how he has more energy on the tennis court since starting a gluten-free diet, cutting out pizza and bread from his daily life. But the top-ranked Serb has been reluctant to discuss his new regimen in any detail, preferring to let his game do the talking.

The man with the answers is Igor Cetojevic, a Serbian doctor and nutritionist who began working with Djokovic at the end of last year.

"I checked him to see what is going on, gave some advice and therapy," Cetojevic told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. "He started to follow them. He started to sleep properly for the first time in his life."

It actually seems as if it was as easy as that.

Djokovic had won only one Grand Slam title heading into 2011. He now has four after winning the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, while compiling an amazing 64-3 record this year - with two of those losses coming from injury retirements, including in a Davis Cup match to Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina last Sunday.

For the past couple of years, Djokovic had been firmly entrenched as the No. 3 player in the world behind Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Although he was consistently going deep into the majors, Djokovic's lone big title came at the 2008 Australian Open. Otherwise, he was losing early or even pulling out of matches because he wasn't in good enough shape.

When things started to change, Djokovic hushed up, declining to talk about his new training routine.

"I can't talk about it," Djokovic said at the French Open, "because it's private."

Last month, about two weeks before the start of the U.S. Open, Djokovic again demurred when asked about the diet.

"I cannot tell you everything," said Djokovic, who grew up at his parents' pizza parlor on Mt. Kopaonik in southern Serbia. "There are things that I keep for myself."

But the science behind the decision to essentially cut wheat, barley and rye out of Djokovic's diet isn't all that secret.

Cetojevic said he used a SCIO bio-feedback machine - basically attaching some wires to a person and connecting them to a computer - to study the effects that food has on Djokovic's body. He saw that the gluten was "through the roof," and knew he needed to do something about it.

"We can see most reactions in the body so we can eliminate the bad guys and put good guys in," Cetojevic explained, keeping it as simple as can be.

Cetojevic said the details behind the program can be complicated and he isn't surprised when Djokovic evades questions about the diet.

"He's not a medical doctor," said Cetojevic, adding that even he found it difficult to explain to people what was going on. "He cannot talk about that."

The idea of working with Djokovic came about two years ago, long before Cetojevic had ever met the tennis star. And it started because of his wife, a holistic therapist from the United States.

"I saw Nole playing some match against (Jo-Wilfried) Tsonga in Australia," Cetojevic said. "My wife told me, 'This guy has some allergy.' I said, 'I don't think so. Something else is there.'

"She told me, 'Help him. He's your countryman,"' Cetojevic said with a laugh.

Cetojevic made some calls to people who knew Djokovic and left the message that he might be able to help.

"Time passed, and one day they called me," said Cetojevic, who flew to Split, Croatia, to meet Djokovic for the first time as he played in the Davis Cup quarterfinals against Croatia in July 2010.

It was there that the lessons started, and they involved more than just nutrition.

"I started teaching Nole simple things, like avoid talking on the telephone and eating because you're ignoring your food," said Cetojevic, who also studied traditional Chinese medicine and magnetotherapy. "He started responding very well. Started to kind of eat well, not have weak stomach, vomiting after meals.

"Slowly, slowly he started to build up. I started to observe how he behaves."

The new ideas, including blessing his food before eating in order to have an "emotional, spiritual connection with food," were not completely accepted by some in Djokovic's camp, Cetojevic said, especially after the player started losing weight. But once the results started coming and the weight came back, Cetojevic was hired full time.

"In Chinese medicine, confidence is in the stomach," Cetojevic said.

Even Federer, a 16-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1, said he doesn't really understand what it is about the gluten-free diet that has made Djokovic so tough to beat.

"I don't even know what that all means," Federer said last month at the U.S. Open. "I eat healthy, and I think that's what people should do, too, if they have the options."

But believing in it, and putting it into effect, is really what matters. And Djokovic has done just that.

Cetojevic sat in the players' box at Rod Laver Arena as Djokovic beat Andy Murray to win his second Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.

Djokovic then ran his winning streak to 43 straight matches before losing to Federer in the French Open semifinals. A few weeks later, Djokovic beat defending champion Nadal to win his first Wimbledon title.

It was Djokovic's desire to win Wimbledon that initially endeared him to Cetojevic.

"When he was a very small boy, he played at home with this little empty pot and on a little chair he stepped on it and said, 'Novak Djokovic, Wimbledon champion.' He was already visualizing what he wants to be," Cetojevic said. "That pure will to succeed touched me."

And after that win, right after Djokovic pulled a few blades of grass from the manicured lawn at the All England Club to physically taste his victory, Cetojevic knew his job was complete.

"I stopped after Wimbledon because that was our goal," said Cetojevic, who returned to his practice in Cyprus. "We had our target."
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #156
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks, that was a beautiful and insightful article on Nole from Cetojevic, it also explains some things unknown to his fans till now.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #157
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

Past greats awed by Novak Djokovic By Sandra Harwitt

[...]

Four former Grand Slam champions -- Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang -- kicked off the 12-city 2011 Champions Series senior tour last week and weighed in. While at their first tour stop at the Bank Atlantic Center in South Florida, the quartet were eager to chat about the new boss man of tennis, Djokovic.
"It's a progression being the best player in the world," Sampras said. "It just doesn't happen overnight. He has a firm handle at the top spot now and it's really one of the best years I've ever seen. To beat Nadal, one of the all-time greats all times, six times. To beat Roger [Federer], arguably the best player of all time, [four] times, it's just an incredible year. And I think he'll win more Grand Slams; he's that good."
Sampras had an opportunity to meet with Djokovic this summer when the Serb was in Los Angeles. The two had hoped to share a hit, but Sampras, disappointingly, could not because of a sore back. But the American was more than happy to be the voice of experience.
"We had dinner, and we just talked for a couple of hours," Sampras said. "He's really a nice kid, very sincere and he was interested in my career and how I stayed up on top of the game, which is what he's trying to do. I just told him what I tried to do, for my personality, was to try and keep it simple. At the Grand Slams I never wanted to do anything because I only wanted to focus on my tennis. I think he took what I said to heart."
To judge just how good Djokovic is these days, the former champions keyed in on his recent U.S. Open semifinal match. Djokovic faced two match points before coming back to beat Federer 6-7 (7), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5. The prevailing opinion is that match validated Djokovic's improved mental fortitude.
"He has a short memory now," Sampras said. "He used to be temperamental and would let bad points linger in his head. But he turned it right around in that third set [against Federer at the Open] to play great tennis."
Michael Chang said, "This year, Djokovic put his foot in the door and said, 'Hey, take a look at me.' It's been a lot of fun to watch him play this year. I've got to think it's something more than his [new gluten-free] diet. He's playing with an unbelievable amount of confidence. Even when he was down those two match points to Federer, he was kind of laughing it off and didn't get dejected."
Once Djokovic began believing, he was almost invincible; his style of play became really off-putting for players. It doesn't hurt that he finally made a few necessary technical improvements to his serve and forehand, which were the two weaker aspects of his game.
"He gives these guys trouble because he plays a little bit old-school, taking the ball earlier, catching the ball on the rise, driving the ball flat," Connors said. "And a lot of the topspin the guys drive at him comes right into his zone. He turns defense into offense pretty good."
The former champions view themselves as fans as well as experts of the game. So it's not surprising they're all watching Djokovic carefully to see how long he can keep up this amazing level. Although we've seen guys maintain control for long periods of time, there's always the next guy waiting to step up.
"This time last year we were talking about the Rafael Nadal era, and he had won three of the four majors and was the dominant force on tour," Courier said. "Now it's Djokovic. What it will be this time next year, well, that's why we watch because there's no way to predict it. But he's set the bar, particularly for Nadal, to go and try to solve the puzzle of Novak."
In the meantime, instead of wondering how long Djokovic can linger at the top, Connors laughingly suggested there could be a side business for the Serb.
"Not 16 months ago, he couldn't last two sets and now he's outdueling Nadal on clay," Connors said. "What he has done in the last year, not only with his game, but his conditioning, I don't know what it is. I don't even know if he knows what it is. But if he could bottle that and sell it, it would be unbelievable."
Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #158
country flag purpleyes

purpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, Nole quit from China Open. Not sure about Shanghai though.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #159
country flag shuhrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleyes View Post
Finally, Nole quit from China Open. Not sure about Shanghai though.
Good to know that he isn't that stupid after all.

Take your time, Nole. You'll be missed a lot though.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #160
country flag purpleyes

purpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond reputepurpleyes has a reputation beyond repute

so true, coz many chinese fans have been waiting for long time, especially now he is on the top of the world.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #161
country flag shuhrat

There's absolutely no doubt this is the right move though, the fangirl side of me is feeling a slight letdown.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #162
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Unexpected (for me). The MRI yesterday was obviously not that encouraging.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #163
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Told you so Anyway, it would be really dumb to play this early, however he fills, no need to overwork.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #164
country flag Nole fan

The MRi said he had intern hemorraging?

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #165
country flag SatineSalvatore

SatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond reputeSatineSalvatore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad he's prioritizing his health, but I just get all trying to imagine how bummed out he must be for not being able to go!

Tyrion Lannister

Janko Tipsarevic / SRBIJA

TRUEbie. LOSTie. Oasis. Guns N' Roses. FC Barcelona. rest is optional

http://tuc-tuc-jankela.tumblr.com
SatineSalvatore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote