Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #91
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

You had to incorporate a whole variety of different tactics from baseline, and at the net before. In that sense.. Yes much more difficult. The physicality wasn't nearly as much but the strategy, the way you had to think, the precision, anticipation etc. was light years ahead of today. In that sense, to me the guys have it easier. They don't have to refine their game to the point guys in the past did. Even 20-30 years ago etc. You had a sweet spot the size of a peanut on your racket.. While today you have the sweetspot the size of a 300 pound woman on your racket

People argue the guys of the past couldn't keep up with the wear and tear of the tour today.. Well the guys today couldn't compete under the old conditions either. Could you imagine Nole or Rafa trying to play their games under the conditions of the 50s or 60s? Hell even the 80s? ROFL. Could you imagine all the FH and BH shanks Fed would be having with the wooden rackets?

The physicality of the game has gone up.. The actual strategy, talent, refined all court game has sunk LOW

Last edited by SetSampras : 09-20-2011 at 04:41 AM.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #92
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
law #1: never question clay death the destroyer. truth is my sword.

law #2: always keep your mouth shut and just let the common mouse breeders (aka common public) wonder if you are a buffoon than to open it and remove all doubt.

provide a link with proof clay

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...layers-us-open

John McEnroe: Equipment's the biggest change. And the guys have been getting bigger, stronger, more athletic—so the game has become more of a track meet instead of a tennis match, in a sense. So I think that guys who are better athletes are winning more than they used to against guys who are better players.

or

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=4994324

In a biography released late last year, Agassi told a story in which a valet confirmed to him that Sampras had tipped him a dollar after they had eaten at the same restaurant, an establishment that was said to be in Indian Wells.

Sampras darted a shot right at Agassi, who was able to dodge the ball.

"It's all right, it's all right," Agassi said.

"That's the way you want to play it?" Sampras jokingly said.

"You know what, it's better than being a valet driver and you pulling up," Agassi said.

Sampras couldn't hide his look of surprise this time.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #93

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Maths View Post
What made the 60s a stronger era is how it was much harder to dominate since court surface diversity was much greater in the slams back then. Oh wait...
yeah i know right

its not like they played on wood, hard courts, clay, different types of grass and gast indoor carpets......oh wait

or the fact that the grass surfaces all played different speeds

or that pro slams were played on wood aswell

oh wait
Old 09-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #94
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
yeah i know right

its not like they played on wood, hard courts, clay, different types of grass and gast indoor carpets......oh wait

or the fact that the grass surfaces all played different speeds

or that pro slams were played on wood aswell

oh wait
Which slams were played on hard court, indoor carpets and wood during the 60s? It helps to know what you're criticising before you start crying.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #95

Quote:
Which slams were played on hard court, indoor carpets and wood during the 60s? It helps to know what you're criticising before you start crying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_p...e_the_Open_Era

From 1930 the French Pro Championship were always played at Paris, on outdoor clay at Roland Garros except from 1963 to 1967 where it was held at Stade Pierre de Coubertin on indoor wood.

wembley was indoor carpet

the us pro slam was played on grass and hardcourts starting 1969

kthanxbye
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #96
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I ask you. Which slams were played on hard court, indoor carpets and wood during the 60s?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #97

you really dont get it

the slams were shit- they didnt mean shit- the pro SLAMS were the real slams

the best players in the world played the pro slams- excet emmerson- who was not really an all time great (in singles)

they were played on every possible surface variance with VERY strong fields

yet 2 men dominated the 60s

but even if we were to take your point about grass and clay being the only amateur slams surface

the surface still had more variety than today because they played at different speeds
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #98

Quote:
Again, I ask you. Which slams were played on hard court, indoor carpets and wood during the 60s?
the pro slams
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #99
country flag Benny_Maths

Quote:
the slams were shit- they didnt mean shit- the pro SLAMS were the real slams
Did the slams mean anything in 1969?

Quote:
they were played on every possible surface variance with VERY strong fields

yet 2 men dominated the 60s
So two players dominated at the most important events over an extended period of time. You do realise that this is the exact basis on which the majority of weak-era arguments are made don't you? The funny thing is that by making the second point, you've actually reinforced what I said in my original post.

Quote:
the surface still had more variety than today because they played at different speeds
Said with such conviction and confidence, it must be easy for you to prove your claim. So substantiate your comparison with quantifiable metrics then.

Quote:
the pro slams
Read the thread title and try to understand what the underlying theme is. Then have an apple and an orange.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #100
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
provide a link with proof clay

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...layers-us-open

John McEnroe: Equipment's the biggest change. And the guys have been getting bigger, stronger, more athletic—so the game has become more of a track meet instead of a tennis match, in a sense. So I think that guys who are better athletes are winning more than they used to against guys who are better players.

or

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=4994324

In a biography released late last year, Agassi told a story in which a valet confirmed to him that Sampras had tipped him a dollar after they had eaten at the same restaurant, an establishment that was said to be in Indian Wells.

Sampras darted a shot right at Agassi, who was able to dodge the ball.

"It's all right, it's all right," Agassi said.

"That's the way you want to play it?" Sampras jokingly said.

"You know what, it's better than being a valet driver and you pulling up," Agassi said.

Sampras couldn't hide his look of surprise this time.

i have already mentioned where i got this info in this thread earlier. now its your job to dig it up.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #101
country flag Jaz

Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as Federer retires, Nadal will be even older...then it will be the weakest era ever.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #102

Quote:
i have already mentioned where i got this info in this thread earlier. now its your job to dig it up.
ahh so you did, my appologies good sir

however, third party hearsay from gimelslimeball is not admissable as evidence even in phoenix wright ace attourney
(for all the old out of touch people, that would an awfully good video game about a lawyer)

you cant put words in petes mouth good sir

http://www.samprasfanz.com/cgi-bin/v...?id=1301318383

setsampras youll be pleased to know sampras has a very low opinion of this era- rejoice!

I still think there�s four guys, now five guys in Juan Mart�n del Potro, that are really the dominant players, and I think it really depends. But I do think that Djokovic is clearly up there now obviously with those guys, but I still look at Roger and Rafa and think they could very well play in the final of some more majors. It depends on who�s playing well. There�s only a handful of really great players in the sport.

Last edited by pray-for-palestine-and-israel : 09-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.
pray-for-palestine-and-israel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #103
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Sampras Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
if you are being serious

of course i didn't watch the games livehowever i trust the opions of the people who did

stupid point however, did you witness world war 2 personally?

so how do you know the allies were really the ones who were good- didnt they side with stalin? didnt britans involement bankrupt the nation for decades and leave it billions in debt to america?

you trust historians- the best (current) tennis historians are here

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

i never liked the whorehouse much, but the past player section is exceptionally well informed and probably the first port of call for any tennis fan interested in the past

This is one of the most laughably absurd posts that I have ever read in these forums, and that's saying something.

It's so wrongheaded that it's difficult to know where exactly to begin. Maybe the most off-the-mark analogy ever offered on MTF?

Quote:
That's not really how it works, old sport. When you make claims of the kind that you did, they need to be properly sourced, and that is your responsibility.

Imagine how absurd it would be if I went into Non-Tennis and started a thread by the title, "Roger Federer is a virulent racist," and then when asked where I got the info, I say, "Oh, I heard him say that he hates Asians in one of his post-match interviews in 2007. There, and if you don't believe me, it's your job to go dig it up."
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #104
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to have been alive in the 1960s to have an opinion on how they played tennis, for heaven's sake. The idiots who dismiss that era weren't alive then either.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #105
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

problem is, whenever there is no consistent champs at the top, its bound to be a weak era no matter how little top 10 is prone to choking.

I mean, if this era is weak, what would make it stronger? soderling, tsonga, berdych winning 2-slams per year, with fedalovic right next to them?

lol, by that rationale, you'd call that weak era as well.