Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #211
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
who knows what ballet mug's slice would have been like in the 60s with wooden rackets? who knows what uncle toni would have taught nadal in the 60s? you just can't translate their current games to the past......it's all in the head and heart and nadal is way ahead in that aspect......
So in that case, you can't make any conclusions at all about how Fed's game would have worked in that era, and the argument ends.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #212
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

federer was gifted practical walkovers with the weak era in the years 2004, 2005 & 2006. he trash talked with his jab about nadal being 1-dimensional while he was supposedly relaxed, smooth and great on all surfaces. federer still was humiliated on high-bounce hardcourts in indian wells and miami by canas. canas was kicked off the atp for using an unpermitted drug shortly before this federer embarrassment.

federer barely won matches in monte carlo, but competition was so bad in 2008 that he squeaked by Rubén Ramírez Hidalgo, a Spanish qualifier, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-1), who failed to serve out the match twice. federer won the lottery at the 2009 french open vs. a weakened 31 yr. old tommy haas and at wimbledon against one of the stupidest former top players, roddick.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #213
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

I think everybody is starting to get it now; a meandering philosophical journey with a poignant point and one that should be remembered.

Allez!

P.s. How would have Federer's allez translated into previous eras and would he have said allez at all? I'm just in it for the lolz.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #214
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
So in that case, you can't make any conclusions at all about how Fed's game would have worked in that era, and the argument ends.
i can make, because i have proven evidences from this present era, something which i can bank on, unlike the dreams you and your delusional pals carry......nadal is far more adaptable than fed and he proved it too......adaptability, heart and will to fight is something that's common in every era regardless of racket technology.......
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #215
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i can make, because i have one proven evidence of this present era, something which i can bank on, unlike the dreams you and your delusional pals carry......nadal is far more adaptable than fed and he proved it too......adaptability, heart and will to fight is something that's common in every era regardless of racket technology.......
We're talking about Federer's game, not Nadal's. Saying Federer is less adaptable in general doesn't tell us anything about how Federer's (unchangeable?) skills would have translated to that era.

It matters what skills you have, not just how easy it is to change them.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #216
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're talking about Federer's game, not Nadal's. Saying Federer is less adaptable in general doesn't tell us anything about how Federer's (unchangeable?) skills would have translated to that era.

It matters what skills you have, not just how easy it is to change them.
that's not what your pals were arguing about.....evidently you read nothing from the previous pages......developing skills differs with eras and times......you can't blindly go by what he developed with today's rackets and think he would have done the same same 50 years ago......that is one hopeless assumption in discussions like this......contrastingly, what i have in my favour is something that is proven over and over in this very era......
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #217
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

If Federer shanks forehands with a wooden racquet and no one is there to watch it, is he still the GOAT?
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #218
country flag Singularity

Quote:
that's not what your pals were arguing about.....evidently you read nothing from the previous pages......developing skills differs with eras and times......you can't blindly go by what he developed with today's rackets and think he would have done the same same 50 years ago......that is one hopeless assumption in discussions like this......contrastingly, what i have in my favour is something that is proven over and over in this very era......
If you don't know what skills Federer would have developed in previous eras, you can't determine how well he would have done. It's pretty simple, isn't it?

Your point is that Nadal can change his game more to different challenges/opponents, i.e he's more adaptable, in this era. That doesn't tell us what his game would look like in previous eras, or how it would compare to Federer's. Even if Federer is less adaptable than Nadal as a player in the 70s, it doesn't mean he can't win or do well with the game he developed growing up at that time.

If Federer grew up with that game, he wouldn't need to adapt, would he? You're making my point for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #219
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

So was a link provided for the initial alledged "statement" by Sampras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
If Nadal can adapt to a wooden racquet, what is to say Laver couldn't adapt to a modern one?
You're gonna have to take Everko's word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Federer is in possession of wonderful net skills and a terrific slice. Certainly he outstrips Djokovic and Nadull comfortably in these departments. It is the Serb and The Mallorcan who would look stupid playing with retro gear. I do accept Federer's forehand would not exist with the old racquets.

You are discussing with people who are not interested in what is plausible, so posts that make sense will not make them see the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.

I can't believe you would say Sampras would be better than Fed at anything. Shocking. The fact it came from you makes it an extra valuable input with bulletproof credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Pete had one of the best serves of all time, one of the most underrated baseline games of all time, one of the best net games and tranisition to the net games of all time. Won 14 slams with a small pro-staff racket. Pete was customed made for the wooden racket era.
HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #220
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

nadal's power and topspin work with good margin of error.
djoker is a sprinter and marathon match player and doesn't rely on emotional strength, bashing serves and forehands like federer does.

federer isn't good with returning backhand down the line shots from djoker because he can't shorten his forehand swing. his backhand is ineffective when he's punished and backed up 2 feet behind the baseline. it would be disastrous if he was playing in the 1960s vs. rod laver with his 2008 through 2011 game.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #221
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

it was quite a confession by sampras in that converstation between him and justin 2 weekends ago. i would have thought that sampras would at least have an honorable mention of his own era.

that said, he evidently was being consistent since he has said a number of times now that fed is the greatest tennis player of all time. what pistol pete says is bounded in his own rationality.

and as of late, sampras has been making statements about nole: he has been saying that nole is a "freak of a mover" and maybe the greatest mover he has ever seen.

i am still siding with the 80`s but this era is not to be taken lightly.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #222
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
If Federer shanks forehands with a wooden racquet and no one is there to watch it, is he still the GOAT?
blood started pissing out my ear after reading this, should i see a doctor..?
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #223
heya

sampras wants to put himself and federer in a hero list where their eras' level of competition never affected their EFFORT LEVEL.

sampras travelled to wimbledon to say he was in a special 2-player list which didn't involve nadal and djoker. however, nadal and djoker easily won in clay events against each other and never choked 2 set leads away on grass!!! LMAO
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #224
Banned!

Quote:
If you don't know what skills Federer would have developed in previous eras, you can't determine how well he would have done. It's pretty simple, isn't it?

Your point is that Nadal can change his game more to different challenges/opponents, i.e he's more adaptable, in this era. That doesn't tell us what his game would look like in previous eras, or how it would compare to Federer's. Even if Federer is less adaptable than Nadal as a player in the 70s, it doesn't mean he can't win or do well with the game he developed growing up at that time.

If Federer grew up with that game, he wouldn't need to adapt, would he? You're making my point for me.
i have proven evidences for what i said and you still have none, zero......of course day dreaming is for free so anybody can do that......by the same token of what you are trying to convey with your last sentence, nadal would have developed a game suitable for those conditions too and actually would have done better bBASED ON THE FACTUAL EVIDENCE that he is more adaptable and would relatively have fared better in a non-homogenized era of different surfaces and varied styles.......what you are doing is, blindly assuming based on what fed did in a homogenized era with modern rackets and he is not even 10% adaptable to what nadal is and doesn't even have 30% the heart that nadal has......
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #225
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

The inescapable conclusion is that the current player best suited to Sixties conditions would be...

Andy Murray.