Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #181
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Why would Laver´s greatness be measured by how he would adapt to modern technology or physical demands of the game??? Put a wooden racket in Nadal´s hands and move him to 1970´s, and he´d be triple-bageled by Rosewall. So who´s to say who´s the greatest?
it is not even funny that your immediate choice of ridicule is nadal yet again, as if he is the only one who is playing with modern rackets......why not just uncover yourself and declare once and for all that you are just one of those from the blind breed......please don't try to come off as mr.objective, you are not......

nadal has the biggest heart the sport has ever seen......it is mental midgets like fed who would never adapt to an era of champions, just like how he is suffering presently......history taught us many things and one of such things is that heart is bigger than talent and that holds good to any era......
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #182
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Yea.. and even Ferrer has been overpowered most of his career by select individuals. Heck Roddick overpowered him.
but ferrer's skill is nowhere close to laver's and laver would have employed different training methods and got as fit as ferrer.....
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #183
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
This is another reason why many people believe Federer is the GOAT, assuming he could play in any era with any equipment.
Federer's greatest weapon would be mostly useless in the 60's....his FH
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #184
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Federer's greatest weapon would be mostly useless in the 60's....his FH
they are too dumb to visualize it......staggering no. of people who think his technique fits any era, just clueless as hell.....so we will help em a little.......if he had the same technique and the same forehand swing, he would pretty much dump every ball in the net as those old strings wouldn't hold the ball for long enough and wouldn't impart the same kind of spin......he wouldn't no way near have the same control driving it either......

his backhand would be near useless with the wooden rackets, as he drives it and shanks 19 out of 20 times......arthur ashe would have had to give him oncourt lessons during matches on how to hit a backhand......

he would never have enjoyed serving too......remember we are talking only in response to the weird notion that ballerina's present technique fits any era......

now let's switch to the returning part......his chip returns would be yielding close to zero results as he would struggle all day trying to control them off his racket with today's technique......

finally just forget about things like volleying and overheads......they better not be discussed at all......

Last edited by Start da Game : 09-21-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #185
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

If Federer was born in 86 or 87 he would have exactly 3-4 slams today with no chance to break Pete's record
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #186
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
it is not even funny that your immediate choice of ridicule is nadal yet again, as if he is the only one who is playing with modern rackets......why not just uncover yourself and declare once and for all that you are just one of those from the blind breed......please don't try to come off as mr.objective, you are not......

nadal has the biggest heart the sport has ever seen......it is mental midgets like fed who would never adapt to an era of champions, just like how he is suffering presently......history taught us many things and one of such things is that heart is bigger than talent and that holds good to any era......
If I offended your religion, I am very sorry. I used Nadal in my example only because I do believe that his heavy topspin shots would be the least adjustable to wooden rackets. I do think Federer would have less trouble in that sense, but I have nothing against Nadal. I don´t question the size of Nadal´s heart, but if you think Federer is a mental midget, then maybe it´s you who is "one of those from the blind breed".
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #187
country flag Roadmap

Roadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is in possession of wonderful net skills and a terrific slice. Certainly he outstrips Djokovic and Nadull comfortably in these departments. It is the Serb and The Mallorcan who would look stupid playing with retro gear. I do accept Federer's forehand would not exist with the old racquets.
Roadmap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #188
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
If I offended your religion, I am very sorry. I used Nadal in my example only because I do believe that his heavy topspin shots would be the least adjustable to wooden rackets. I do think Federer would have less trouble in that sense, but I have nothing against Nadal. I don´t question the size of Nadal´s heart, but if you think Federer is a mental midget, then maybe it´s you who is "one of those from the blind breed".
least adjustable how? agreed that it's your view but still how? he used to blast them like crazy when he was 16 and 17......he only modified it later to suit clay......he kept making adjustments through out his career to suit his requirements against different oppositions and dealt with them successfully......heck he even risked his shoulder and changed his service motion for ONE slam......fed on the other hand never stepped out of his comfort zone and did nothing different......so who's proved to be more adaptable to change? it's nadal, not fed......something which has happened in this era, unlike what most of you dream would have happened in fed's case in previous eras......there are telling proofs that fed is by far one of the least adaptable players of this generation.......
Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #189
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

average height of a tennis pro in the top 100 today is 6 foot 2. and it may even be closer to 6 foot 3.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #190
country flag Roadmap

Roadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Federer was born in 86 or 87 he would have exactly 3-4 slams today with no chance to break Pete's record
Judging by what? How grandpa fed beat prime Djokovic at the French Open? Or was it Grandpa fed leading by two sets to love and having match points against prime Djokovic at Flushing Meadows? I will tell you something Saberq. You have a fantastic sense of humour.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #191
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #192
country flag Saberq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Federer is in possession of wonderful net skills and a terrific slice. Certainly he outstrips Djokovic and Nadull comfortably in these departments. It is the Serb and The Mallorcan who would look stupid playing with retro gear. I do accept Federer's forehand would not exist with the old racquets.
I agree completely with this ...even more proof that tennis then and now was worlds apart and that eras cant be compared
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #193
country flag Roadmap

Quote:
I agree completely with this ...even more proof that tennis then and now was worlds apart and that eras cant be compared
It is difficult to compare.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #194
country flag Roadmap

Quote:
Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.
Yeah because Sampras slice shot was just so amazing
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #195
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
least adjustable how? agreed that it's your view but still how? he used to blast them like crazy when he was 16 and 17......he only modified it later to suit clay......he kept making adjustments through out his career to suit his requirements against different oppositions and dealt with them successfully......heck he even risked his shoulder and changed his service motion for ONE slam......fed on the other hand never stepped out of his comfort zone and did nothing different......so who's proved to be more adaptable to change? it's nadal, not fed......something which has happened in this era, unlike what most of you dream would have happened in fed's case in previous eras......there are telling proofs that fed is by far one of the least adaptable players of this generation.......
Have you ever played tennis? Least adjustable because of the heavy topspin generated by a heavy "upward"-motion of the racket, that would not be possible without a modern racket and string technology that create a large sweetspot that Nadal´s groundstrokes require. I´m sure he would be able to get the ball back over the net even with a coca cola-bottle, my point is that his game would suffer more than Federer´s, who hits the ball flatter, and who has better volleys and slice.

Quote:
I´m sure Fed ( or anyone from the current era) would have immense difficulties, but wooden rackets would not limit his game quite the way they would Nadal´s. As for Sampras, I totally agree. He would probably adjust relatively well, his legendary Pro Staff was actually not that far from wooden rackets.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote