Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

pistol pete sampras now firmly believes that this current era is the strongest ever? do you agree with him?

the floor is at your disposal. have fun with this. what is your own current/revised,updated position on this?

Last edited by Clay Death : 09-24-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: better title
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
country flag JimmyV

JimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Sampras Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Really? The era without Malvai Washington in slam semi's is stronger? SHOCKING.
JimmyV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

i personally believe that 80`s was the toughest era ever.

that said, even i have to study the current dynamics a bit more carefully. when was the last time we had the 3 top players with 30 slams between them.

so that is somethinhg to consider.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know what strongest means. I suppose some people are taking it to mean that the level of competition was very tough and there was a deep field. I don't think this quite works because thats not a measure of greatness but rather consistency. It may mean the top players were equally mediocre and the slam titles were spread around.

What if we ask whether the players of today are superior tennis players? Well, this completely doesn't work because tennis is a whole different game today. The speed of the courts and the advancement of technology makes such a comparison impossible. Maybe todays players are better athletes, but this is also irrelevant because athleticism and quickness go hand in hand with being successful on todays surfaces.

It's imposible to compare tennis eras in terms of an arbitrary term like "greatness." We can easily say when the field is top heavy or deep in achievements, but that's about it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Just keep [t]rolling Bernard, just keep [t]rolling my man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchFederer View Post
Keep [t]rolling Bernard, keep [t]rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
tomic just keep on [t]rolling
v-money is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
country flag mediter

mediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond reputemediter has a reputation beyond repute

This is a lie..There is no dispute that this current era is the weakest and most disgraceful in
the history of tennis.

The era of lions was in the 90's.
mediter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what aspect of the game we're talking about. In some ways this undoubtedly is the strongest era, (athleticism, physique, movement, consistently hard ballstriking, passing shots from way far back in the court, etc). In others it most definitely isn't, as the racquet technology coupled with how strong everyone are have removed many gamestyles and elements. This has made it easier for the masters of the currently viable trades to dominate.

Every era with its distinct or less distinct dynamics had different strengths and weaknesses. As for entertainment value(, which sport ultimately should be about,) there are many other decades which I rank way higher than the current era. There's hardly any room for contrasts today.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediter View Post
This is a lie..There is no dispute that this current era is the weakest and most disgraceful in
the history of tennis.

do you realize the imlications of what you believe and what you are saying about the current era?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
country flag Hensafmurrafter

Hensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond reputeHensafmurrafter has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, yes. This is the greatest tennis I have ever seen played. Granted, I've only been following since around 1996...

Tim Henman, Fabrice Santoro, Marat Safin, John McEnroe, Patrick Rafter
Hensafmurrafter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

and it is about to get even better in 2012.

just watch what fed, clay warrior, d-pot, and murray bring to the party in 2012 to better compete with the great serbian slayer.

nole has forced the field`s hand to improve.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
and it is about to get even better in 2012.

just watch what fed, clay warrior, d-pot, and murray bring to the party in 2012 to better compete with the great serbian slayer.

nole has forced the field`s hand to improve.
I hope you're right actually. Not that I begrudge Nadal or Federer or Djokovic their success with dominant years one after another, but I do hope their is a clash of the titans next year, where the other player begin to deal with Djoko-2.0 and each slam could be won by several contenders at the top.
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediter View Post
the history of tennis.

mediter, i have been missing you

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Talent wise one of the strongest.

Mental strength and fortitude wise, outside the top 3 one of the weakest.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

It will be seen as stronger retrospectively than the way we see it now.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

seeing this era compared to the 1960s makes me physically sick

honestly

the 1990s were not as strong as the 60s but much stronger than today

thiss website is almost becoming as full of shit and tards as talk tennis warehouse
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is definitely the strongest era ever. Just look at Delpo, Soderling, Berdych, Tsonga etc. They seem to be hitting the gym a lot and could all lift a lot of weight. Even in arm-wrestling/cage fighting they would no doubt crush the previous eras.

Djokovic is sort of a light in comparison but in a lower weight-class he would also perform well in the strength department. Nadal used to have pretty decent biceps but recent science has shown it was mostly fat to allow him to run longer and fight back in 5-seters. It's a bit like the hump on a camels back. Murray might play a little weak at times but his legs of thunder makes him strong too.

What drags this era down a bit might be Federers left arm. That arm is not strong but his right arm is very strong so if you average it it's all good.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote