> Pim Pim News and Articles < - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #166
Sharon

Default Re: > Pim Pim News and Articles <

if we suggest that, he'll think we're crazy maniacs
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #167
country flag Canuck_Chick

Canuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
if we suggest that, he'll think we're crazy maniacs
doesn't he already think that
Robin Söderling
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Enqvist

Patrick Rafter
Canuck_Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #168
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

hope it wasn't posted yet.

Joachim Johansson: The Tennis-X Interview
By Richard Vach

Six-foot-six Swede Joachim "Pim-Pim" Johansson shot to prominence at the 2004 US Open, upsetting defending champion Andy Roddick in five sets in the quarterfinals before being halted by Lleyton Hewitt in the semis. Last year Johansson's ranking was not high enough for direct entry into any of the slams and he spent much of the time playing Challengers, but he qualified at the 2003 Australian and US Open, losing both times in the first round to American Mardy "Silver" Fish. Tennis-X caught up to Johansson at the Open, just days before he would face Roddick:

Tennis-X: What's your current status on the Swedish Davis Cup team? I know they've been working you in the last couple ties, what do you see for the next couple ties?

JJ: Hopefully the old guys are still going to be playing (laughing) , (Thomas) Johnasson is coming back right now, (Robin) Soderling, we've got (Thomas) Enqvist and (Jonas) Bjorkman who is a little bit older, hopefully they can keep playing, especially Bjorkman for the doubles. If he stops playing then the doubles team is going to get weaker. Me and Soderling are upcomers, I think it been working good for us because me and Robin played this year, and I was in the team last year, I played dead rubber against Australia as well. We've got (Andreas) Vinciguerra who is coming back soon, so we have three guys who are normally around the Top 50, even if the others guys quit we have a strong team.

Tennis-X: Was there any panic in Sweden when the older guys were approaching retirement age and there didn't seem to be any young players coming up? Because in the U.S. there is a great panic when it looks like the old stars are retiring and there isn't anyone on the horizon.

JJ: Yes, yes. Because I'm the same age as Roddick and Fish is one year older, I knew there was pressure because they were telling me and it was actually the same in Sweden. They were asking when the next guys were going to come and I was pretty high up in the juniors and the same with Soderling, so it was good, but apart from us there weren't that many guys, so they were hoping that apart from us some other guys would come up.

Tennis-X: We know where Pim-Pim came from because that's been talked about a lot, but is that your preferred nickname, are there any other nicknames?

JJ: That's about the only one I think. If your name's Joachim you get the nickname Jocke (pronounced "Jorka"), that's what I was called in school but in tennis everyone calls me Pim-Pim.

Tennis-X: And that came out of your family, right?

JJ: Yeah my brother said "You are Pim-Pim." So I've had it just about my whole life, sometimes I even introduce myself as Pim-Pim.

Tennis-X: For about four years it looked like you were struggling outside the Top 100, then your game kind of took off, is that because your serve developed more, or what do you attribute that to?

JJ: After I played juniors, when I turned 19 I had an injury in my wrist, I got injured in March 2001, then I played one tournament that year, then I started to play in February the year after. So in 11 months I played one tournament, so that held me up a lot. Then the year after I was struggling a lot because I was losing a lot of matches. Last year I started to play well, last year here I qualified (at the US Open) then I lost to Fish, after that I play well, I won a Futures, then I won or made finals in every Challenger I played for the rest of the year.

Tennis-X: What about the injuries now?

JJ: It's been good so far, this year. In Davis Cup I had some injuries in my back and shoulders because I played a lot at the beginning of the year, I played in Australia, in Memphis (his first title) then back for a few days and I played Indian Wells, Key Biscayne and Boca Raton (Davis Cup vs. the U.S.), that was a little too much for me. Because I played in October and November -- I played seven tournaments, I made final in all of them, then straight after that I didn't have any preparation season because I had three weeks in Australia, I went straight there because I was just trying to get into the Australian Open. I've always served pretty good, but I think it's more consistent now, I get a lot on my second serve, I think my return is getting better and better. Before I could always hold my serve but it was always tough to break them so they didn't feel the pressure, but I think now they start to feel the pressure more and more and I'm trying to develop it more and more.

Tennis-X: Well you must have developed it pretty well with (Swedish Davis Cup captain) Mats (Wilander) putting you in the Davis Cup doubles?

JJ: Yeah, so that was good for me.

Tennis-X: What about facing (potential brother-in-law) Lleyton Hewitt on tour for the first time?

JJ: Sydney this year, I lost to (Arnaud) Clement second round, I would have played him. Last week I thought there was a pretty good chance when I was up 5-4 against (Paradorn) Srichaphan, so...

Tennis-X: So you know where he is in the draw at tournaments?

JJ: Yeah (laughing).

Tennis-X: What would it be like, to play Lleyton?

JJ: I would enjoy it, the pressure's not on me (laughing). Obviously we both know how we're playing, he gets a lot of balls back. Normally I like to play guys who don't do much with the ball because my game is to be aggressive, but it would be tough against him...I would like to see it if I play him.

Tennis-X: Thanks Joachim.

Johansson got his wish a couple rounds later when he faced Hewitt in the US Open semifinals, with Hewitt's superior return-of-service skills seeing him to a straight-set win. Johansson was born in Lund, Sweden and has residence in Sodertalje, and also spends part of his year in Australia with girlfriend Jaslyn Hewitt.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #169
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

aaw nice one!!

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #170
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

good interview! thanks!
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #171
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peggy

I had to laugh a lot where he said he sometimes introduces himself as Pim Pim. I was thinking about how this situation could be

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:27 AM   #172
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Johansson looks like the next great Swede
By Scott Riley, Tennis Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Sweden may finally have found its next great tennis star -- in the form of rapidly-rising Joachim Johansson.

The 6-foot-6 bomber is fresh off his second title of the year, which came indoors at the Open 13 event in Marseille last week. "Pim-Pim" already owned an '05 title from an Australian Open tune-up in Adelaide in the second week of January.

With only three career championships to his credit thus far, it's hard to lump Johansson in with Sweden's former greats/Grand Slam champions Bjorn Borg, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg, but the 22-year-old from Lund is starting to show his potential. Johansson was born in Lund, but spent all of his childhood in Sodertalje, the same hometown as the legendary, 11-time major titlist Borg.

By the way, Johansson's father Leif was a former Davis Cup player for Sweden and a teammate of the legendary Borg in 1974.

Joachim Johansson got the attention of the tennis world last year when he stunned American superstar Andy Roddick in the quarterfinals at the U.S. Open, where Roddick had been the defending champion. The great Wilander all but predicted the surprising outcome before the match. Unfortunately for Johansson, he gave way to former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the semis at Flushing Meadows.

The towering Johansson is an exciting player to watch, with a massive serve and an equally-as-massive forehand. He's already captured two of his five tournaments this season and made a run into the fourth round at the Aussie Open, where he succumbed to another former No. 1, the ageless Andre Agassi.

Johansson has won 15 of his 18 matches in the early part of 2005, including a six-match win streak to open his campaign, and has already pocketed more than $200,000 thanks to his hardcourt prowess (all three of his career titles are on hardcourts, with the other coming in Memphis last year). He prefers and excels on indoor hard surfaces in particular.

By the way, Johansson is not related to former Aussie Open champ Thomas Johansson, but, unfortunately, did lose to his countryman in a second-round match in Rotterdam this week. Thomas Johansson captured Sweden's last Grand Slam title with a big victory at the 2002 Australian Open, which marked the first major win by a Swede since the gentleman Edberg titled at the 1992 U.S. Open.

Joachim Johansson's stellar performance currently has him fifth in the 2005 ATP Race and ninth in the official world rankings. His victory in Marseille propelled him into the top 10 for the first time in his blossoming career.

He finished 2004 as the top player in Sweden for the first time in his career and jumped 101 ranking positions to do so.

I wouldn't expect Johansson to be a big threat at the clay-court French Open, but he'll certainly be among the favorites at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open later this year. He's 0-1 lifetime at Roland Garros, while going an impressive 8-3 in his combined appearances on the quick surfaces at Wimby and Flushing.
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #173
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

I just read in a Swedish paper that Pim Pim has been in Sweden for some days after Miami and that he will now fly to Monte Carlo to prepare for the claycourt season

Just wanted to let you know this... I am very excited to see how his results on clay will be this year.

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #174
country flag midsommardagen

midsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond repute

from ATP website

Johansson Boys Put Mercedes-Benz G-Class to the Test

It seems that Joachim Johansson drives in a similar manner to the way he serves – fast and furious. Well, at least when he’s negotiating the ‘lunar landscape’ of the open cut brown coalfield, Garzweiler 1, in Duesseldorf, Germany.

Johansson relished taking control of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class 400 CDI during a day off at the recent ARAG World Team Cup. Kudos to Pim Pim for the hang time on this smash! Yes, that's really him behind the wheel (see photo, below).

After a drive in an open-top Mercedes-Benz SLK 200 Compressor over the motorway from the Rhine-Ruhr Mercedes-Benz dealership to Jackerath, Johansson and fellow Swede Thomas Johansson switched to G-Class vehicles in order to master wild, challenging terrain. “It was an incredible experience, like a rally," said 22-year-old Joachim Johansson, who drove a G-Class 400 CDI (KW/HP 184/250) through the difficult territory with sand dunes and steep descents. The current No. 13 on the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking took almost one-and-a-half hours to try new tracks again and again in the coalfield.

His more reserved namesake, Thomas Johansson, opted to allow Mercedes experts drive him in a G 270 CDI (KW/HP 115/156): “It was great fun,” enthused the former Australian Open champion, who has just returned to the Top 20 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking.

The two Swedes also made an informative visit to one of the world's largest bucket-wheel excavators in the 66 square kilometer mining field. The gigantic apparatus – as heavy as the bridge over the Rhine – mines up to 200,000 cubic metres of brown coal daily in several shifts. The size of the excavator - 212m long, 74m high and a bucket-wheel radius of 21.6m - impressed the players. But Joachim Johansson admitted: “However, I’d rather do a few more laps in the G-Class than in that slow giant.”
midsommardagen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #175
country flag margaret_gn

margaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the article pina, i think it was posted before but without the pics they're so cute... esp in the first pic, pimpim and the green helmet thing

& jurgenMELZER & jarkkoNIEMINEN & michaelRYDERSTEDT & tomasBERDYCH & richardGASQUET & robinSODERLING
tennis photos from 2008
tennis photos pre 2008
tennis reports
margaret_gn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #176
country flag enqvistsangel

enqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond repute

There is an article in Swedish with a pic in SVD:

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/sport/did_9837589.asp
enqvistsangel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #177

midsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond reputemidsommardagen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret_gn
thanks for the article pina, i think it was posted before but without the pics they're so cute... esp in the first pic, pimpim and the green helmet thing
my pleasure. it's from ATP website, and I LOVE the Pim & ToJo photo. they seem to be very close.

enqvistsangel,thanks for the link but I can't open it. could you post the pic here?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #178
country flag Kat!

Kat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond reputeKat! has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to copy & paste the link to the browser.... cute photo!

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, Olivier Rochus, Paul-Henri Mathieu & Kristof Vliegen
Kat! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #179
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

who's that guy he's with? another up-coming swedish tennis player?
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #180

and where they were?
BTW, Mr.mystery is cute