> Pim Pim News and Articles < - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #136
country flag Iza

Iza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: > Pim Pim News and Articles <

what a lovely pic Pina
Originally Posted by El Mundo
Sergio Ramos joined in the fun, proving he can do anything; he shines as a centre back, as a right back and as a striker.
My pink ego box
Iza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #137
country flag Canuck_Chick

Canuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Johansson Survives To Set Up Fourth Round Oz Open Match With Agassi
By Richard Pagliaro
01/21/2005

Joachim Johansson may hope his muscle memory suffers from amnesia when he steps on court to face Andre Agassi, a man who dispenses punishment as easily as a Pez dispenser delivers candy, when the pair play for the first time in the fourth round of the Australian Open.

Seeking to reduce the stress on the strained hamstring he suffered in Sydney last week, Johansson rolled through the opening two rounds of the Australian Open without surrendering a set. On Friday, the 11th-seeded Swede survived a strenuous marathon match that tested his legs, serving shoulder and nerve. In the end, Johansson won one more point than Feliciano Lopez in gutting out a grueling 6-3, 3-6, 5-7, 7-6, 13-11 victory in a match that lasted nearly four hours and ended at about 11 p.m. Melbourne time.

The pair produced a total of 72 aces (Johansson hit 38 aces and Lopez lashed 34 aces) and 13 double faults. Johansson, who hit 99 winners compared to 76 for Lopez, won exactly one more point than his opponent (200 to 199) to advance to his third straight round of 16 in a major following his semifinal appearance at last September's U.S. Open.

A match that featured wall-rattling serving turned on a double fault from Lopez, who saved four break points in the game, that gave Johansson a service break and a 12-11 lead in the decisive set that spanned 84 minutes. The 22-year-old Swede served out the match to secure his spot in the fourth round.

Johansson, who upset Andy Roddick in a five-set quarterfinal conquest at the 2004 U.S. Open, plays with the fearlessness of youth empowered by one of the most devastating serves in the sport. In three tournament victories, he has dropped serve just three times.

The man who grew up in Sodertalje, the same Swedish town where 11-time Grand Slam champion Bjorn Borg was raised, is fulfilling the prodigious potential he showed in soaring 101 ranking sports in one year — finishing the 2004 season ranked No. 12 after concluding 2003 ranked No. 113.

A fan favorite in Melbourne — due to the fact he dates Jaslyn Hewitt, Lleyton Hewitt's sister and possess an explosive game — Johansson is widely regarded as the best Swedish threat to win a major since Thomas Johansson surprised Marat Safin to win the 2002 Australian Open. Swedish Davis Cup captain Mats Wilander has watched Johansson development and believes he is a capable Grand Slam contender, but must continue to mature as a match player first.

"I don't think he's a candidate yet to win a Grand Slam, but he's a candidate to beat a Federer or a Hewitt, and he beat Roddick in the U.S. Open," Wilander told The Australian yesterday. "We are putting a bit of pressure on him but at the same time, he's responded to that in the last 12 months by coming out and totally changing his game. He's gone to 11 in the world in 12 months, so I suppose we're a little surprised he's there already. Now it remains to see what happens from here. He's been playing Davis Cup, and he's a great kid, so I think he can handle it."

The question confronting Johansson is how will his body hold up after against Agassi after his demanding duel with Lopez. Agassi has the ability to turn baseline rallies into suicide drills for opponents whose legs and lungs are sapped by running repetitive sprints in pursuit of Agassi's deep drives. Court coverage is Johansson's weakness and the 34-year-old Agassi will undoubtedly make him move.

Before the four-time Australian Open champion can get to Johansson's legs, he must first put his returns back in play against the six-foot-six Swede who has swatted 76 aces in three matches. Agassi enters this match knowing Johansson will play hard ball and focusing on a serve approaching him so fast it will look about as big as a BB at times.

"I never like playing big servers. I like playing people that hit the ball very soft all the time," Agassi said. "I don't care if they're serving or playing a forehand or backhand, the softer the better as far as I'm concerned. You know, he's a guy, he throws the ball up, there's a few guys out there that, when they go for their shot, there's nothing you can do about it. You just hope that you can make them do it over and over again and do it in pressure situations and take your chances when you do get them."

In addition to his experience, the biggest advantage Agassi carries into this match is his backhand. Johansson is most vulnerable on his one-handed backhand and Agassi owns the best two-handed backhand in the business. Look for Agassi to not only persistently pound away at Johansson's one-hander, but to also play his crosscourt forehand wide to stretch out the Swede before coming back with the sharp angled backhand crosscourt that will force Johansson to hit his backhand on the run. That shot sequence should enable Agassi to exploit two of Johansson's weaknesses — his backhand and his mobility and based on the fact the bigger man may be feeling fatigue from the four hours on court against Lopez, Agassi will be in no hurry to conclude the baseline rallies. Tennis can be a very cruel and sometimes arguably unfair sport.

Publicly, Agassi says he will assess Johansson's strengths and weaknesses as the match progresses. Privately, he knows if he can get Johansson's big serve back — not a given — and avoid hitting short balls to his forehand, he should enjoy an edge from the backcourt.

"He has one of the biggest serves and biggest forehands in the game. I mean, there's no question about that," Agassi said. "I don't have a good sense for his movement. I don't have a good sense for his backhand. I don't have a good sense for his volleys. I don't have a good sense if he likes the ball up high or he likes the ball low. I have to sort of assess from what I see and then be able to make adjustments. Hopefully I can give him a few things to worry about, too, and we can call it even."

From Johansson's perspective, he will need to come up with another strong serving day. Hitting 38 aces and 99 winners he still barely squeaked by the 24th-seeded Lopez in a match with a combined 121 net approaches. Rallies should be longer in the fourth-round showdown, and Johansson's best chance against the ultra-consistent Agassi is to take his best shot on the first semi-short ball he gets.

The Las Vegas native was once the ultimate baseline gambler who swung for the lines, but Agasi rarely beats himself these days and will carry the confidence that comes with a 47-4 career record in Australia onto the court.

"I think Andre's best, top level was probably higher five or six years ago, but he doesn't really hit his lowest level too often now," Wilander told Tennis Week. "What Agassi does so well is he consistently plays closer to a higher level now, with fewer up and down days. He's worked to stay at that level and that gives him the chance to beat the best player in the world on any given day."

Since the draw was released, a potential Agassi-Federer quarterfinal has been the most-highly anticipated match on the men's side. The top-seeded Swiss' fourth-round opponent, Marcos Baghdatis, and Agassi were the only men to take a set off Federer in his march to the U.S. Open title and now Federer and Agassi are one win away from renewing their rivalry again.
Robin Söderling
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Enqvist

Patrick Rafter
Canuck_Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #138
country flag jmgsdoubsprtnr

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

From "the austalian" i thought it was a cool article.

Joachim stokes blue and gold army
Patrick Miles
January 22, 2005
SINCE 1983, when Mats Wilander started a five-year streak of Swedish success at the Australian Open, the tournament has become a popular destination for the nomadic hordes from the north.

Every year, Melbourne Park resounds to the incomprehensible chants of the blue and yellow army, who join organised tours to escape the Swedish winter and revel in the exploits of their countrymen in the sun.

Every year, they had someone to cheer, someone who could take them well into the fortnight, and for a long time, they have had generous Jonas Bjorkman to procure centre-court tickets for them.

Wilander and Stefan Edberg shared the men's singles title between them from 1983 to 1988, the former winning three times and the latter twice. The event was not held in 1986 as the date changed from December to January.

Then Bjorkman and Thomas Enqvist, runner-up in 1999, made their presence felt, then Magnus Norman, a semi-finalist in 2000, stepped up, followed by an unexpected triumph for Thomas Johansson in 2002.

But more recently, there have been less reasons to be cheerful for the Swedish contingent as the line of ascendancy that began with Bjorn Borg in the 1970s came to a halt.

All blue eyes are now on Joachim Johansson, who is expected to bring Sweden back to the top of the pile.

At the age of 22, Johansson is his country's leading light and it is hoped he will drag some others -- Robin Soderling, Andreas Vinciguerra and Michael Ryderstedt -- along with him.

"'Well, I'm not sure if I feel it, but at the moment, I'm the best-ranked Swede," Johansson said. "I know Soderling is right behind me. I think there's a few guys coming up, like Ryderstedt. But I don't mind being the No.1 Swede at the moment."

With Bjorkman, Enqvist and Soderling all losing in the first round at Melbourne Park this week, it was left to the Johanssons to fly the flag.

Thomas Johansson moved into the fourth round yesterday with a 3-6 6-2 6-7 (7-4) 6-2 6-2 win over Kevin Kim of the US.

Joachim Johansson, who was in action late last night, entered the Australian Open with a world ranking of No.11. If he improves on his third-round appearance of last year, there is every chance he will enter the top 10, becoming the eighth Swede to do so; and should he manage to take his powerful, all-court game to the top, he would become the fourth man from his country to be No.1.

Borg was No.1 for 109 weeks, Edberg for 72 and Wilander 20; Norman reached No.2 in the world, Bjorkman and Enqvist both No.4 and Thomas Johansson No.7.

As Joachim Johansson approaches the upper echelon, he seems remarkably unconcerned with the legacy left by his great compatriots. Asked if he felt a sense of pride about Sweden's tennis history, he said: "I don't know. I know I'm playing because I enjoy it and there's no pride for me for anything."

Johannsson is starting to experience the scrutiny, though, from Swedes who crave a return to the halcyon days.

As he has risen up the rankings in spectacular fashion, more than 100 places in a season, his relationship with Jaslyn Hewitt, Lleyton's younger sister, has brought him into contact with the most determined man in the business, and it is paying off on court.

Defeating Andy Roddick to reach the semi-finals of last year's US Open was a good indication of how far he has come, although Wilander is not entirely convinced.

"I don't think he's a candidate yet to win a Grand Slam, but he's a candidate to beat a Federer or a Hewitt, and he beat Roddick in the US Open," Wilander said yesterday.

"We are putting a bit of pressure on him but at the same time, he's responded to that in the last 12 months by coming out and totally changing his game. He's gone to 11 in the world in 12 months, so I suppose we're a little surprised he's there already.

"Now it remains to see what happens from here. He's been playing Davis Cup, and he's a great kid, so I think he can handle it."
Jan-Michael Gambill<>Flavio Saretta<>Andre Sa<>Amer Delic

SVERIGE
Soderling xx Pim Pim xx Jonas xx Ryderstedt xx Magnus
jmgsdoubsprtnr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #139

Canuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Open parting shots
From the Russian Revolution to Martina in the booth

I'm cleaning out the notebook after a terrific tournament -- "a real cracker," as the Aussies would put it. Here are 50 random asides, trying to incorporate as many of your questions as possible. Next we'll resume our usual format.

1. We began the tournament wondering if a male player could be the first man to win the Grand Slam since Rod Laver. After Marat Safin's poised run in Melbourne, maybe it's still a valid question.

2. Nice to see Serena Williams back, too. She, of course, won her seventh Slam by beating a defeated-looking Lindsay Davenport in the final. Serena beat the fourth, second and first seed to win. Time, once again, for the rest of the field to start quaking in their boots.

3. En route to both of her Australian Open titles, Serena had to stave off match points. This year, she was on her last legs against Maria Sharapova and simply came up with the proverbial goods. The haters will say she was a point from losing. The rest will admire her fight.

4. How about that Russian Revolution?

5. I get the feeling Lleyton Hewitt could chose any sport and, so long as he had that outsized heart, he would succeed. Would you like him guarding you on the perimeter? Breaking up your double play? Covering your receiving route?

6. Hard to know what to make of Davenport, who never found her groove in Australia. You'd think if winning Slams would stave off retirement, she wouldn't go so quietly into the night.

7. Can we just call the Safin-RogerFederer semifinal the best match of 2005 and get on with our lives?

8. Obviously, it was a disappointing result for Federer, but here's food for thought: He far from his best against the second-most talented player in tennis. And he came within a point -- literally within inches -- of winning. Also, here's some testament to Federer's elite status: He loses 9-7 in the fifth set to the mountainously talented Safin and the headlines tell us he is "stunned in a huge upset."

9. I had a fair number of you guys backing me on the plea to eliminate five-setters. Then Hewitt beat David Nalbandian, and Safin beat Federer 9-7 in the fifth set of perhaps the best match I've ever seen. By late last week, the vigorous defenses of best-of-five starting rolling in, and I have to admit, I stopped to reconsider my stance. Pam Cheney of Thompson, Conn., wrote: "Maybe a compromise can be reached. Save five sets for the second week of a slam." That works for me. You eliminate the first week tedium, the problematic scheduling and, most importantly, the needless wear-and-tear on the players. But you still keep alive the potential for late-round classics. You guys willing to meet halfway?

10. Kevin Ullyett and Wayne Black won the men's doubles, their first major, beating Bob and Mike Bryan in the final.

11. Believe the hype. At the tender age of 15, Donald Young won the boys title. It's silly to make long-range projections about a kid who still has so much physical growth ahead of him. But it's sure worth keeping an eye on his progress.

12. On the other hand, only three Americans were in the girls singles draw and none made it beyond the second round. If I work for the USTA, this troubles me. In the girls draw, Belarus' Victoria Azarenka beat Agnes Szavay of Hungary in the final.

13. We get the question all the time: "How can Andy Roddick be a top player when his game is so limited -- a monster serve and a monster forehand and not much else?" Our stock response: He is a lot stronger mentally than his Von Dutch personality would have you believe. That said, if he doesn't compete better than he did against Hewitt, it's hard to see him finishing at No. 2 again.

14. Hewitt was correct when he noted it is "not very good for the sport" when one opponent spits in the direction of another. We would submit, however, that unleashing a primal scream of "C'mawwwwn!" after your opponent double-faults would fall squarely under the same heading. Same for spitting loogies on the court, yelling at ballgirls, swearing audibly or calling the chair "an idiot" when he in fact made the correct call....

15. In sharp contrast to Hewitt, did any player reveal themselves to be more winsome than Alicia Molik? (And not just because she donated her 24th birthday cake to the gluttons in the media room.) Her game is highly entertaining -- a mix of power, athleticism and risk-taking. And she was a delight in the interview room. Here was her take on her 6-4, 4-6, 9-7 quarterfinal loss to Davenport, a match in which she got rooked on a crucial call: "One point doesn't cost you a match. Lindsay was the better player today."

16. Molik capped a tremendous two weeks winning the doubles alongside Svetlana Kuznetsova. It was their first tournament together, which certainly bodes well for the rest of the year.

17. Yet another reason we like Molik: When she came across tabloid "Drug Scandal" headlines about Kuznetsova, Molik purchased an entire stack of newspapers from the local convenience store and promptly threw them in the trash.

18. Though overshadowed by Hewitt-mania and the return of Serena, perhaps the best story of the tournament was Corina Morariu's run to the doubles final with Davenport. Less than four years ago, Morariu was diagnosed with advanced leukemia. Suffice it to say, reaching another Grand Slam final is an achievement. And you sure have to hand it Davenport for playing doubles alongside her friend, even though it may have cost her a Grand Slam singles title.

19. At the women's doubles trophy presentation, Davenport broke down in tears rehashing Morariu's saga. Hundreds of fans in Rod Laver Arena followed suit. Molik was next at the mic. "It would be great if Kleenex could jump on board as a sponsor. But thanks to Kia and the rest of the sponsors and volunteers and the ballboys." Nice touch.

20. Once again, a handful of matches were marred by botched calls and overrules, intensifying the clamor for replay technology. Expect to see it in place by the U.S. Open. Limited challenges? Unlimited challenges? Show courts or all courts? We say just do it and get to the details later. And in the meantime, what if the chair umpire stopped overruling the far sidelines? We saw easily a dozen such overruled calls and the chair batted about .300. Maria Alves, meanwhile, the chair umpire during the controversial U.S. Open match between Jennifer Capriati and Serena, quietly worked a few matches.

21. Scott Draper and Samantha Stosur won the mixed doubles over Ullyett and Liezel Huber. Sad but true: Interest in that event lasts as long as Martina Navratilova is in the draw. After that all bets are off. Nice tournament for Ullyett, who won about $250,000 without playing a set of singles.

22. Hewitt wasn't the only family member to battle injuries last week. His sister Jaslyn tripped in the shower, breaking a bone in her right hand.

23. James "C'mawwwwn!" Blake has joined the tsunami-relief efforts by donating one of his new Dunlop racquets, an autographed match-worn jersey from the Open and a personalized letter. Check it out at jamesblaketennis.com.

24. Australia's Chris Guccione may have gotten drilled in the first round, but he did hit the fastest serve of the tournament: 144 miles per hour.

25. Fiona McKenna of Melbourne was the first of many to inquire about the blue wristbands favored by Roddick and several other Americans. Turns out the bands are Roddick's answer to Lance Armstrong's "LiveStrong" bracelets. Embossed with the words, "No Compromise," they benefit children in need and are available at andyroddick.com. Price is $2 (minimum order of five) plus shipping and handling.

26. The Monica Seles update is ... no update. The Beloved One isn't ready to retire but isn't ready to resume playing. She made several guests appearance in Australia last week doing some promotional work for American Express.

27. Tickets for the 2005 United States Davis Cup first-round tie against Croatia, Mar. 4-6 at White Elephant -- er, the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. -- have not exactly been brisk. (Who couldn't have seen this coming?) Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling 888-484-8782 (USTA). Prices range from $90 to $375 for all three days of competition.

28. The minute Andre Agassi signs on to play, ticket sales won't be an issue.

29. Volkert of Utrecht, Netherlands, called this to our attention: Stephanie Foretz turned in the worst service performance since Anna Kournikova double-faulted 31 times in an early-round match six years ago. Against Michaella Krajicek, Foretz double-faulted 17 times on 22 second serves.

30. Does Agassi walk away from this event encouraged that he beat one of the hottest young players who served a record number of aces or that Federer is mortal after all? Or is he further discouraged that -- at his favorite Slam, under prime conditions -- he couldn't muster a set in his quarterfinal defeat?

31. If you're in the market for a tennis stock, we advise to make some margin calls on Joachim Johansson. Though he lost to Agassi in the fourth round, is there any doubt J-Jo is a threat to win Slams? Against Agassi, he set the Slam record for aces with 51 -- and that wasn't a five-setter!

32. Garth Simmons of Toledo, Ohio, did make this interesting point: "Of all the players to serve more than 40 aces in a match, only one (Mark Philippoussis, Wimbledon '03) actually won the match. Is this the result of players too injured/exhausted to do anything but rely on a single shot, or is it something else?" (Such as: The serve isn't the dominant shot in the men's game as its detractors would have you believe.) Discuss for next week's class.

33. Note to Brad Gilbert: If Federer is USC and Roddick is Oklahoma, as you uncharitably put it, doesn't that make you Bob Stoops?

34. Awful nice showing from Nathalie Dechy, reaching her first Grand Slam semifinal at the advanced age of 25. But, boy, did she squander an opportunity against an injured and dispirited Davenport in the semis.

35. After falling to Dechy, Anastasia Myskina sourly remarked: "I can't really say that she won the match, but I can say that I lost it." Dechy's response: "I'm in the next round and she's not. I think I won the match." Nice to see someone finally call "bushwah," as they say, on an ungracious opponent.

36. Seeking to capitalize on the cadre of raucous Swedish fans who converged on Melbourne, a Stockholm newspaper sent its journalist 300 inflatable hands emblazoned with the Swedish flag on one side and paper's logo on the other. The goal was for the writer to distribute them to the fans who would then be televised. Problem was, by the time the package arrived, all the Swedish players had lost and the scribe was stuck with 300 novelty hands.

37. If you think Hewitt is fast on his feet, you missed Jim Courier doing courtside interviews after matches.

38. Here's a nominee for the weirdest visual: While Serena and Sharapova played their classic semifinal, the Bryan Brothers waxed Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi on a minor court. There may have been 30 fans scattered throughout the crowd. One of them was Phil Jackson.

39. Speaking of Jackson, he joined Roddick for dinner -- regaling him with Dennis Rodman stories -- and joined him at the blackjack table, where Roddick claims to have won more than $5,000.

40. Now for the gratuitous pot-stirring portion of today's program: If I'm on the ATP's executive search committee, I'm interviewing Paul McNamee as Mark Miles' replacement.

41. Is it us or did the opening-week "drug controversy" die down as quickly as it flared up? Pretty strong damage control over at the WTA.

42. Given our recent discussions, we thought you'd get a kick out this memo we received: "The International Tennis Hall of Fame has announced an open call for nominations for the induction [of the] Class of 2006 ... Players are elected based on a distinguished record of competitive achievement at the highest international level, with consideration given to integrity, sportsmanship and character ... Printable nomination forms are available online at tennisfame.com. Nomination forms may also be obtained by contacting: Enshrinee Nominating Chairman, International Tennis Hall of Fame, 194 Bellevue Ave., Newport, R.I. 02840. Phone: 401-849-3990; fax: 401-849-8780; e-mail: newport@tennisfame.com."

43. Know how Joe Buck and his Fox colleagues are forced to debase themselves by doing various "tie-in" promotions for phones, beer and movies? The same blight has come to Australia. You haven't lived until you've heard Navratilova -- a commentator, and a darn good one, for Australia's Channel Seven -- trying to plug Desperate Housewives with a trace of enthusiasm.

44. Navratilova's take on Hewitt's antics: "It offends me. I mean you just don't do that. It's not sportsmanlike and it's not respectful to your opponent. I understand pumping yourself up but not to the detriment of your opponent ... but when James Blake gets offended you know something's up. [Juan Ignacio] Chela, same thing, he's really laid back. It's going to come to fisticuffs one day either on the court or in the locker room. There's a line you don't cross, and he's crossing it."

45. John McEnroe and Courier will join Roddick in an exhibition event at Houston's Toyota Center called "Serving for Tsunami Relief" on Monday. Joining the past and present ATP stars will be Chris Evert, Kournikova and TV talk-show host Dr. Phil. The event will raise money for the Bush-Clinton Tsunami Relief Fund, an effort by the two former presidents to fund relief, reconstruction and rehabilitation for the victims of the disaster in Southeast Asia. Courier's InsideOut Sports & Entertainment is producing the event along with Jim McIngvale, the Houston Chair of the Bush-Clinton Fund. Tickets to the event are available at toyotacentertix.com.

46. Aussie veteran Draper was supposed to play to in a professional golf tournament last week, but then he reached the mixed-doubles semifinal with Stosur. His solution: Get an early tee time and then head to Melbourne Park. He shot a 79 but won his match.

47. Assuming the stats were right, Andy Ram and Jon Erlich lost to the Bryan brothers, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 and did not commit a single unforced error in the match.

48. According to PublishersMarketplace.com, Roscoe Tanner and veteran writer Mike Yorkey have sold a book titled Double Fault to Triumph Books for publication next fall. It's described as "the story of the tennis star's incredible flameout, about how he deceived his family and friends and ended up broke and in jail."

49. You miss Ted Robison. You know you do.

50. I say this every year: If there is a more soulful, fan-friendly sporting event than the Australian Open, I haven't been to it.
__________________________________________________ _______________
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ail/index.html
Robin Söderling
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Enqvist

Patrick Rafter
Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #140
Sharon

J-Jo??!?! ... could that name get any stupider
thanks for the article btw canuckchick!!
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #141
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
J-Jo??!?! ... could that name get any stupider
thanks for the article btw canuckchick!!
Yes, I totally agree with you, Sharon.
Sounds like J-Lo...

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #142

jmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond reputejmgsdoubsprtnr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommarsverige
Yes, I totally agree with you, Sharon.
Sounds like J-Lo...
i think that's what they were going for which is :retard:

SVERIGE
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 AM   #143
Sharon

yeah i mean... i thougth F-Lo would be the farthest wertheim would go... now J-Jo.ewwww wertheim is so :retard:
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #144

J-Jo...it's almost Jojo all his nicknames are the same: take the first letter of the player's first name, add dash, and take first two letters of player's last name
(Joachim = J) + (-) + (Johansson = Jo) = J-Jo = lame nickname
we're onto him guys
Robin Söderling
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Enqvist

Patrick Rafter
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #145
country flag gogo_guga

gogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond reputegogo_guga has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeewwwww! JoJo, that's such a crap nickname for Joachim. I mean, seriously would you pronounce that YoYo????
I honestly don't think that Pim Pim would like that.
gogo_guga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #146
Sharon

how about a way to solve all these stupid nicknames...
get rid of everthinh and just call him pimpim or pimpino for bjorkfish
Old 02-04-2005, 08:24 AM   #147
country flag Pina

Pina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond reputePina has a reputation beyond repute

yea, J-Jo and Jo-Jo are such stupid nicknames but his autograph in this pic really looks like JoJo or J-Jo...

Pim Pim is the best nickname for him! Thanks to his brother
Pina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #148

that autograph does look wierd, but in all the ones i've seen (including mine) it's just JJ. if that's an older autograph, maybe he's getting lazy in his "old age" probably started out as Joachim Johansson, and he probably dropped 1 or 2 letters a year (or tournament) he does have quite a long name after all! soon it will just be a squiggle on a page (like lightning )

SVERIGE
Old 02-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #149
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
how about a way to solve all these stupid nicknames...
get rid of everthinh and just call him pimpim or pimpino for bjorkfish

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #150
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

hes atuo on my cap is odd too its like MM

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote