The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-13-2004, 01:28 AM   #106
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Charity Appearances

Getty just has images of Andy playing tennis. I was hoping for pictures from last night.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 01:31 AM   #107
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I looked through their pics of last year, too, and they only have pictures of the tennis part. The only place I remember seeing pics from the actual party/dinner/auction thing was on Andy's site.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:34 AM   #108
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

Well, those pictures won't be up for awhile since andyroddick.com is slow to put things up.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #109
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Yea...

nothing we can do about that I guess lmao

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-13-2004, 04:06 AM   #110
country flag RodFan08

RodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait I haven't been here for a little while. We can't post from getty? I thought that we came to the conclusion that it was not a big deal if we did
RodFan08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:24 AM   #111
country flag Deboogle!.

um. Wow.
-------------
Roddick's heroes: Kids have a fan in him
By Karen Crouse

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 13, 2004

BOCA RATON — The e-mail arrived the usual way, Jeff Sterlacci having googled Andy Roddick and found, amid the plethora of fervid fan blogs, the tennis player's Web site.

Sterlacci's son Andrew had rubbed rackets with Roddick a few months earlier at a kids event before the 2003 U.S. Open, which Roddick went on to win for his first Grand Slam title.

Seeing Roddick up-close had a profound effect on the then-10-year-old. Andrew Sterlacci decided he wanted to be like Roddick when he grew up. He started trying to copy the Boca Raton resident's groundstrokes and mannerisms.

Then in April, Andrew Sterlacci's future was rear-ended. He and his father were in a horrific car accident near the family's Long Island home. Andrew was airlifted to a hospital, where he lay in a coma.

His mother, Carol, sat at his bedside and talked for hours on end about familiar things, picking up the fragments of his fractured memory and piecing them together into something she hoped Andrew might respond to or recognize.

A few days into her vigil she mentioned that the principal of Andrew's school wanted Andrew to get better so they could play a tennis match. What Carol heard next drowned out all her doubts.

"Out of nowhere Andrew said, 'I don't want to play him. I want to play Andy Roddick,' " Carol Sterlacci recalled Sunday. It was the first complete sentence Andrew had spoken since the accident.

Jeff Sterlacci relayed this story to Roddick's mother, Blanche, whose e-mail address he found listed in the area of the Web site dedicated to The Andy Roddick Foundation. He wrote that Andrew was relearning how to speak and as part of his speech therapy was reading from the story about Roddick ushering fellow guests to safety during a hotel fire in Italy.

Blanche Roddick phoned Andy and read him the e-mail. By the time she reached the final period, they were both in tears.

Some athletes get so caught up in the act of acquiring — titles, records, millions, mansions, women — they never stop to ask life's essential question: What's my purpose? Roddick is the rare 22-year-old who has the answer aced.

Andrew Sterlacci would have his wish granted — and then some. Sterlacci, 11, was flown in from New York with his parents and two younger sisters as guests of Roddick's foundation for the charity's fourth gala weekend.

On Saturday evening, in the middle of a black-tie affair that started before 6 o'clock and went on past midnight, Roddick pulled Andrew aside for a one-on-one conversation. On Court 19 the following afternoon, Sterlacci, using the right arm that was broken in the accident, returned three of Roddick's serves.

His doctors wondered whether he'd ever walk again, but there Sterlacci was Sunday, walking in the clouds. The smile he flashed afterward could thaw Franco-American relations. "That was really cool," he said.

Alex Smith, 12, was the first lay person to step in against Roddick, who hit a serve this year that was clocked at 155 mph. Smith has been exchanging e-mails and phone calls with Roddick for more than a year, so returning one of Roddick's serves seemed like the next logical step.

Smith is a natural right-hander but had to learn how to play as a lefty after he lost his right hand in September 2003 in a boating accident on Lake Austin. After the accident, Smith's tennis coach e-mailed Blanche Roddick, who phoned Andy. It was another one of those calls that ended in sniffles.

Next thing Smith knew, his favorite tennis player in the whole wide world was paying him a visit at the hospital.

"My mom had told me he might come but not to get my hopes up," Smith said. "She told me people like that don't always show up. But Andy came and he stayed for 45 minutes. He gave me his e-mail address and his cellphone number. When I e-mail him, 95 percent of the time he e-mails me back within 48 hours. He's just very inspiring. Now, when I see him play, it just makes me want to go hit, whether it's against a garage door or with my coach."

Who's inspiring whom? "Alex is not a kid, he's a little man," Roddick said. "He's so polite. He's so well-spoken. You meet him and your heart melts. You just want to take him home."

Among the items auctioned off Saturday after dinner were two tickets to a post-Oscar party that's being thrown by one of Roddick's pals, Sir Elton John, in February in L.A.. Sir Elton may be the greatest entertainer of his era but Garrett Starr, a 4-year-old cancer victim whom Roddick befriended while playing in a tournament in Memphis, stole the show Saturday.

Earlier in the evening, Starr walked out to the dance floor to surprise Roddick in an emotional reunion.

In the summer of 2003, when tumors were discovered in Starr's brain and spinal column, his prognosis was grim. Doctors gave him a 10 percent chance of survival. They seriously doubted he'd ever be ambulatory.

In July, after watching Roddick play Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final on TV, Starr and his mom, Melissa, were shopping. Starr saw a tennis racket and begged his mom to buy him one. Soon thereafter, his doctors proclaimed him cancer-free.

Roddick cried when he saw Starr toddle toward him. It was the first time he has teared up in public since winning the U.S. Open.

"I had never seen him walk," Roddick said.

You should see Garrett hit a tennis ball, Melissa Starr said. She was beaming.

The people who say the best thing about being the No. 2-ranked player in the world is making friends with famous people, not to mention a tidy fortune, are articulating their own values, not Roddick's.

Ask Roddick and he'll tell you, the most rewarding thing about his sporting life is that it has enabled the youngest child of Blanche and Jerry to be a big brother of sorts. The kids Roddick can reach through tennis — and now his foundation — have much to teach him, he said, about goodness and grace, heroism and hope.

"You don't feel like you deserve their attention," Roddick said. "It's really, really, really weird for me, but it's come to be the most gratifying part of it."

Old 12-13-2004, 04:30 AM   #112
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

awwwwwwwwww
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 AM   #113
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

Beat me too it Deb , I just finished reading that article. You know how much I love Karen's stories but this one is definetly the exception ....WOW really says it all!

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 AM   #114
country flag Deboogle!.

Yea well Karen surely has a flair for exaggeration, but it's sweet even if you take it with a grain of salt lol

Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #115
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

all i can say is.... awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
and yeah, normally i just have to roll my eyes at Karen's articles, but this one is really sweet.
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #116
country flag brazuca5copas

brazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond repute

The Fourth Annual Andy Roddick Charity Weekend
12 Dec 2004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51852541.jpg (43.3 KB, 31 views)
brazuca5copas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #117
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by am&a
no words

Nice av.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:38 PM   #118
country flag Deboogle!.

Roddick and friends entertain thousands

Published Monday, December 13, 2004 at 1:00 am
by Hannon Deutsch

Andy Roddick’s fast rise to the top of the ATP tour has made him one of the most sought after athletes in professional sports.
But it’s not what he accomplishes on the court that matters as much as what Roddick does off it.
In 2001, a year after turning pro, the Andy Roddick Foundation was formed. Roddick’s pro-celebrity annual event is an umbrella that feeds numerous children’s charities.
But it wasn’t until he had a conversation with Andre Aggassi until he realized how much he could do for other people.
“I was on a plane flight with Andre Aggassi when I was 17 and I was pretty much scared to say anything, him being one of my idols and all,” said the Boca Raton native. “I asked him what his biggest regret was and I was expecting him to say something tennis related. And he said he didn’t start his children’s foundation early enough. So, the next year we started mine and now we’re in our fourth year. I just didn’t want to look back and have the same regret as he did.”
Roddick’s foundation had raised $1.5 million to date, including $850,000 from this year alone. The fourth annual charity event was held at the Polo Club this weekend and featured a pro-celebrity exhibition that included John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Sebastien Grosjean, Anna Kournikova Aaron Krickstein and Jeff Conine, among others.
Roddick and McEnroe, two of the greatest players ever to pick up a tennis racquet, treated 2,400 people to a classic match. There weren’t any signature jarring matches between McEnroe and the umpire (Conine) or whining about calls. Instead, the three-time Wimbledon champ fell with class to Roddick 6-4 in a match where both players were competing to win for a good cause.
To Roddick, the match was a small part of a bigger picture.
“There’s a bigger picture than me and McEnroe trying to beat each other here this weekend,” said Roddick, who is currently ranked No. 2 in the world. “It’s pretty nice when you have players of this caliber coming out on a favor trying to help. It’s pretty cool.”
McEnroe shared the same sentiments but went on to say athletes should give back to the community because it is the right thing to do. When fame and celebrity hits it is easy to lose touch with the meaningful things in life.
“This is my first time here but hopefully not the last,” said McEnroe, who has won 17 Grand Slam championships. “When you have gotten as much from the sport as I have you want to keep yourself in touch with the real world. I think a good way to do that is to help kids that are struggling. It makes you appreciate what you have by giving something back.”
Although Kournikova didn’t take part in a tennis match, she played with the children in the kid’s zone and signed autographs. Roddick and other athletes have inspired Kournikova to use her name for a good cause.
“It’s something that I am connected to and wanted to do for a long time,” she said. “I started working with the Boys and Girls Club this year in Miami. It was great to come out here for this particular cause.”

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 12-13-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #119
country flag k-rod83

k-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond reputek-rod83 has a reputation beyond repute

that artical about the kids has just had me in tears....lol...im such a softie
k-rod83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #120
country flag Golfnduck

That article had me in tears too.