The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #61
Mihret

Mihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant future
Default Re: Andy's Charity Appearances

Hi everyone.

I am new here. There's a transcript of a chat with Andy on the ESPN website but it is only available to members.
Can anybody help me out?
Mihret is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #62
country flag andyroxmysox12191

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome mihert!!! the transcript is in the chit chat thread i think
Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM   #63
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mihret!! Welcome, yep mani is right the transcript is in several posts in the chit chat thread

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #64
Mihret

Mihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant futureMihret has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info and for welcoming me.
I'm going in the chit chat thread now.
Mihret is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #65
country flag zoltan83

zoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mihret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli_V View Post
Nicoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!, you rule
zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #66
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info Brad
======
10.13.2004 - A couple nights ago I went down to Irvine and played in BJK's and the Elton John's "Smash Hits" charity event that benefits the Elton John Aids foundation. It's always nice to play in exo's and do your part for charity. I'm very proud of both Andy and Andre for their commitment to charitable causes. The only disappointment of the evening was the way I played doubles with Andy against Andre and Darren. I let my guy down. I had trouble seeing the ball and could not hit a thing; simply put my game was in the toilet and I got flushed. I was a meat hook at Sam the butchers. I felt the same way that any 3.0 - 4.5 player feels when they're playing in the club championships. I was struggling and not feeling it. I thought that Andy and Andre's singles match was of extremely high quality for an exhibition match and the boys put on a great show for the sold out stadium.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:29 AM   #67
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerl
Agassi said he was surprised by the turnout of fans in Grand Forks.

"I was hoping tennis wasn't too foreign to the people here," he said. "But their welcoming ovation lifted us up. And they had more tennis knowledge than I thought they'd have."

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water.
hahahaha star, or uh, skwerl, whatever you are calling yourself these days

oh and now brad is making excuses too? lol. but thanks for all the great articles Deb and Q

Last edited by superpinkone37 : 10-14-2004 at 12:32 AM.
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #68
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

LA TIMES

Tennis event is a smash hit
Humor carries the day at WTT Smash Hits event, which played to overflow crowd Monday at Bren Events Center.
Rick Devereux
Daily Pilot

October 12, 2004

BREN EVENTS CENTER — If you ever get a chance to meet tennis star Andy Roddick, don't tell him his serve doesn't look that fast. You might regret it.

At the World Team Tennis Smash Hits event at the Bren Events Center Monday, a fan yelled to the world's No. 2-ranked tennis player known for his blistering serve that his serves look faster on television than in real life.

Roddick stopped the exhibition mixed doubles set he was playing with Tracey Austin against Andre Agassi and Anna Kournikova to talk with the heckler. Roddick invited the man to try to return a few of his serves.

After three heaters, Dave Slingsby reached into his pocket and waved a white handkerchief in surrender.

Such was the light mood surrounding the 12th annual charity event that raises money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

The standing-room-only crowd of 5,167 was treated to fun, laughter and, oh yeah, some really great tennis.

"Southern California has always been great for tennis," John said. "This event started in California 12 years ago and we wanted to bring it back."

The inaugural Smash Hits was played in Los Angeles in 1993.

"If you look at the tennis champions that have played in this event," Roddick said, "it's just an honor to be here."

Agassi, Kournikova and Agassi's coach, Darren Cahill, were coached by tennis legend Billie Jean King. They faced Roddick, two-time U.S. open champion Tracy Austin and Agassi's former coach ad Roddick's current instructor, Brad Gilbert. They formed the team coached by John.

The opening celebrity set of Agassi-Kournikova against John-Roddick was easygoing, with the professionals not putting forth too much of an effort. At least not too much of an effort playing tennis.

Agassi was the clown of the court, telling Kournikova to bend over and sway more while he served. He was also playing cat-and-mouse wit the ball girl trying to retrieve a loose ball, letting her get close and then faking like he was going to pick up the ball.

After Kournikova double faulted on a serve, Agassi coached the blond Russian on the proper serving technique. Kournikova must have been too busy laughing to pick up on the instruction, because she double faulted again.

"I would like to bring this type of atmosphere to the [Association of Tennis Professionals tour]," Agassi said. "I think this reaches a new audience and brings enthusiasm to the game."

The seriousness got turned up a notch in the ensuing men's doubles set, but it only got turned up a little. Agassi-Cahill were forced to field Roddick zingers. Spectators in the first row behind the baseline were handed baseball gloves to protect themselves from the speeding serves that invariably slipped past the Agassi-Cahill defense.

During the mixed doubles of Kournikova-Cahill vs. Austin-Gilbert, Agassi was coaching his coach, yelling for Cahill to smash it. Apparently the students couldn't stand watching the teachers, because Roddick yelled for a substitute before the third game of the set.

With the top men back in the game, the women became a little feisty. Kournikova smashed consecutive balls at Roddick, prompting a plea for safety from Roddick. During an exchange of baseline shots, Austin yelled at Agassi to "Bring it on, baby." The four-time Grand Slam winner proceeded to blaze a groundstroke past her.

At one point, Agassi took off his shirt and flexed, much to the delight of females in the audience.

Kournikova was so impressed, she fanned her face with a playful smile.

It prompted Roddick to suggest the match should continue as a shirts-against-skins affair, but Kournikova did not follow her partner's striptease.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #69
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick serve is life of tennis party

By Dave Vilhauer

American News Sports Writer

It is one of the most talked about things in the sports world today, and several spectators got an up close look at it this past week.

Andy Roddick and his famed world record 155 mile-per-hour serve were part of a tennis exhibition at the Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks this past Tuesday. Roddick was facing tennis legend Andre Agassi.

While the match was for fun, Roddick did not back off on his lethal weapon. Balls went flying all over the place and those in the baseline seats got hit more than once.

Among the spectators who felt the sting of the Roddick serve were Aberdeen residents Nate and Jackie Reede. Nate tried to catch one of the potent serves and Jackie actually got nailed in the shoulder.

"It had a little sting. I think it bounced first," said Jackie.

Nate, who was a standout player at Aberdeen Central, was not the only one who muffed a chance at catching one.

"All night I didn't see anyone who actually put a grip on it," he said.

Friendly advice: The Reedes sat close enough to carry on a conversation with the players. At one point, Nate shouted some instructions to Roddick, the number two player in the world.

"I yelled that he was going to have to serve out wide or he was going to hurt us all night long," Nate said. "He said, 'Just for that, I'm going to come at you the entire night.' I don't know, maybe he did."

The Aberdeen couple had a fun evening and did not mind sitting in the precarious position.

"We knew that we had courtside seats," Jackie said, "but I didn't know they would be right behind the players. There was a little bit of thrill to it, but it was still fun. I would have sat there again."

Agassi knows full well what Roddick's serve looks like.

"Andy's serve is arguably the best serve the game has ever seen," Agassi said. "It's one of the few times I feel like I'm surviving out there. But you feel that much better when you break him."

Memorable moment: During the exhibition witnessed by a number of Aberdeen area residents, Roddick heard a spectator yell, "I could return that."

Roddick promptly stopped his service motion and went and got the fan out the stands to give him a chance to prove it.

"All of his buddies were getting on him a little bit, so I figured we'd have a little fun with it," Roddick said.

Agassi gave the man his racket and then watched as Roddick blasted serve after serve at the fan. Of course, the spectator did not stand a chance at returning the ball and after about five tries returned to his seat.

"Hopefully, it made for a good laugh," Roddick said. "I thanked him for being a good sport."

Later, when Luke Jensen asked Agassi what impact the fan had made in the match, Agassi joked, "It helped me with my self-confidence. After seeing that, I said, 'You know what? I'm not so bad. I kind of like me.' "

To which Roddick chimed in, "After serving to that guy, my self-confidence was high, too."

No substitute for experience: While Roddick has a huge serve, Agassi is known as the best return man in the history of tennis. He broke Roddick twice in the 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) exhibition victory.

"Andy plays the game much differently than I do," Agassi said. "I marvel at his firepower on the court."

While technology and athleticism have changed the game considerably, Agassi still finds ways to compete with the heaviest of hitters.

"I've had to become stronger and fitter and make quicker decisions out there," Agassi said. "My game has the ability to step forward on the court which has helped me a lot. I've been able to pick the ball up and not let too many people dictate what's going on."

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 10-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #70
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

having struggled yesterday with a big server myself, now I REALLY don't understand how Agassi can return Roddick's serves so well.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #71
country flag Deboogle!.

why don't you just give him a call and ask?

Old 10-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #72
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

good idea, Deb.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:16 PM   #73
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
having struggled yesterday with a big server myself, now I REALLY don't understand how Agassi can return Roddick's serves so well.
How did it go, Q?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #74
country flag MisterQ

The other guy won 7-5, 6-4. But I had to work hard on my service games, and the only chance I had of breaking him was if he had 3 double faults in a game.

I'm just not used to facing such a big server. I'm sure it will get easier. We're playing again on Monday. In other areas of our games, I feel like we match up nicely.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #75
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

That's really a pretty good scoreline. You must feel encouraged.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote