The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2004, 05:51 AM   #46
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Charity Appearances

btw, i have a reputation beyond repute...cool
i just noticed it, but i dunno if ive had that for a while or not
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 05:59 AM   #47
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

well technically last night they played two WTT sets and they split them. so last night was a tie Tonight was a regular best of 3 setter and Andre won in straights but yea, come on Andy get all that losing out of your system, then GET YOUR ASS TO MADRID.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:04 AM   #48
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE THIS PIC!!!!!! It's my new av, I called it

Roddick silences heckler
By Mike Cummings,The Forum
Published Wednesday, October 13, 2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick have traveled the world four corners of the world. Prior to Monday, they had never set foot on North Dakota soil.

The two former Grand Slam winners met in a three-set exhibition match Tuesday evening at Ralph Engelstad Arena in a charity event dubbed the Engelstad Open.

While both players concurred that Grand Forks likely won’t be a future stop on the ATP tour, both said they enjoyed their brief stay in the Red River Valley.

“For the few hours we’ve been here, we’ve enjoyed Grand Forks so much,” Agassi said.

“This has been one of the most incredible places I’ve been.”

His counterpart agreed.

“I don’t recall many places where the people are as nice as here,” Roddick said. “That ovation that they gave us at the beginning really gave me goose bumps.”

For the thousands in attendance Tuesday, there will be very little argument about what they will remember most about the event.

Midway through the third game, Roddick caught wind of a college-aged fan heckling him. Apparently, the fan boasted that Roddick’s serve “looks faster on tv” and that he could return it.

The current No. 2-ranked men’s player in the world invited the heckler onto the court to have a swing at his world-famous serve.

“I’ve heard people say that before,” Roddick said. “So I said, ‘alright, we’ll have a little fun with it.’”

Despite the encouragement from Agassi, who jokingly asking the fan “Are you nuts?”, and a hockey helmet, the heckler swung and missed at three consecutive 140-mph serves by Roddick. The fan’s effort, however, garnered a standing ovation from the crowd and a handshake from the 2003 U.S. Open winner.

“Hopefully, it made for a good laugh,” Roddick said. “I thanked him for being a good sport about it.”

Roddick, despite a 223-71 career singles record, has had his problems with Agassi throughout his playing days. The elder tennis star owns a 5-1 career-record over Roddick.

Tuesday night was more of the same as the 1992 Wimbledon champion found a way to neutralize the big serve, winning in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (8-6).

“Andre is probably the best-ever at adapting to new surfaces,” Roddick said. “I think at the end of the night the most important thing was the money raised for Andre’s Foundation.”

A portion of the proceeds from the event benefited Agassi’s Foundation, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in Las Vegas. The school, which was founded in 2001, is designed to assist socio-economically challenged youth prepare for college.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:13 AM   #49
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

awww thats a great picture!!! and great articles man i wish i was there....
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #50
country flag Deboogle!.

aww me too Danielle! and LMAO amanda!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an updated AP article.... Andy's making excuses for losing an exhibition Maybe he'll get it into his head that he needs to get to Madrid EARLY *hint hint*
=========

Agassi defeats Roddick in exhibition match

Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - In an atmosphere that more closely resembled a rock concert, Andre Agassi defeated Andy Roddick 6-4, 7-6, (8-6) in a tennis exhibition at the Ralph Engelstad Arena Tuesday.

Agassi and Roddick exchanged hard shots and quips with each other and a crowd estimated at 8,000.

Despite being 34 years old and near retirement, Agassi is still rated 17th in the world. Roddick, 22, is ranked second in the world. But the veteran made fewer errors and broke Roddick's serve twice to take the match.

Some proceeds from the match will benefit Agassi's tennis school for disadvantaged children.

Most of the crowd was rooting for Agassi, although young women were vocal in their support of Roddick.

The players did some clowning, which included bringing a heckler onto the court for an unsuccessful attempt at returning Roddick's serve. But at the end of each set, the play turned serious.

"It's hard to avoid being competitive," Agassi said. "You always play to beat the other guy."

Roddick labeled his play "here and there," saying he had difficulty adjusting to a fast surface after the two played on a slow surface a night earlier in California.

The two have met in several similar exhibitions. Agassi owns a 5-1 advantage in tournament matches.

Agassi said he was surprised by the turnout of fans in Grand Forks.

"I was hoping tennis wasn't too foreign to the people here," he said. "But their welcoming ovation lifted us up. And they had more tennis knowledge than I thought they'd have."

Old 10-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #51
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

anymore articles?

MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #52
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another article (can't seem to cut and paste it):

Grand Forks Herald
Old 10-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #53
country flag MisterQ

Posted on Wed, Oct. 13, 2004

Agassi comes out on top

By Brad E. Schlossman
Herald Staff Writer

It may seem absurd to choose to return Andy Roddick's 150 mph serve.

But when Andre Agassi won the coin toss before Tuesday's match at Ralph Engelstad Arena, he chose to return.

Maybe he knew something about the blue court surface that Roddick didn't. Or maybe he just had that much confidence in his return game.

Either way, Agassi was right. He broke Roddick twice in two sets on his way to a 6-4 7-6(8-6) win in the match dubbed as the Engelstad Open.

"Andy's serve is arguably the best serve the game has ever seen," Agassi said. "It makes me feel that much better when I break it."

The match, which benefited Agassi's children's charity, featured a little bit of everything. The relaxed atmosphere featured quite a bit of dialogue between the players and the crowd and comments to each other.

There also were some serious serves and forehands, as some fans found out first hand.

Two rows of courtside seats were set up right behind the court. The people sitting in the seats found themselves on their toes every time Roddick wound up to hit a serve. One fan wasn't scared, though.

Early in the first set, before Roddick was getting ready to serve, Matt Bydal of Grand Forks yelled out "I can return it!"

Roddick heard the comment, immediately stopped, and brought Bydal down to the court to give him a try at it.

Roddick gave him three chances to return his serve, but Bydal didn't stand a chance.

"My self confidence was high after serving to that guy," Roddick said. "But then Andre had to come back on the court."

While Agassi didn't break out one of his between-the-legs shots, he did have several flashy highlights. He hit a vicious swinging forehand volley at the net, attempted swinging volleys from the baseline and drilled some passing shots on balls it didn't look like he could get to.

Roddick broke Agassi to force a second-set tiebreaker, much to the delight of the fans. But after staving off four match points, Roddick finally bowed out when he left a short ball that Agassi pounded down the line with a forehand.

"How great is North Dakota by the way?" Agassi said to the crowd after the match. "This is one of the greatest arena's I've ever played in."

Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from adoring girls, and even a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."

The Jensen brothers, Luke and Murphy, played the opening match against a former University of Minnesota doubles team, Alex Zharniov Will and Chris Wetterngel. The ex-Gophers came out wearing the jerseys of former Gopher and Grand Forks Red River hockey standout Grant Potulny. The Jensens, who lost the 8-game proset 8-6, came out wearing Sioux jerseys. Murphy Jensen played the entire match in a hockey helmet.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...ts/9903963.htm
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 PM   #54
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."

MORE PROOF!!!!!!!!!

Andy is missing Mardy!
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #55
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

"I was hoping tennis wasn't too foreign to the people here," he said. "But their welcoming ovation lifted us up. And they had more tennis knowledge than I thought they'd have."

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:30 PM   #56
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."
MORE PROOF!!!!!!!!! Andy is missing Mardy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water.
star, uh, skwerl

Thanks for the articles, Deb and Q, loved them.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 10-13-2004 at 03:33 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #57
country flag Deboogle!.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! here you go, Q, more articles LMAO

So ANDRE is going to Madrid today.... huh Andy when are you getting your lazy ass there?
========

THE ENGELSTAD OPEN: Holding court

Tennis icons Agassi, Roddick bring out the youth in fans of all ages

Duddy Weisser ran up the stairs like he was in his youth tennis days Tuesday afternoon at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Andre Agassi, the men's tennis icon, was getting away.

As Agassi was in the concourse area heading for the exits, Weisser caught him. The Grand Forks Central boys tennis coach wanted Agassi to sign a pair of tennis shorts his mother bought for him prior to his teen years.

Agassi used to wear the model. Ever the gentleman, Agassi obliged and signed the shorts. Weisser said his mother would be pleased.

Weisser was pleased, too.

Local tennis leaders - young and old - were giddy Tuesday, as two of the best professionals in the world came to Grand Forks to put on an exhibition at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Agassi and Andy Roddick both are ranked in the top 10 in the world. Each has won a Grand Slam event.

Weisser caught Agassi in the afternoon, before his match against Roddick.

Agassi made many act like young fans. Even Terry Paukert, a former high school tennis star himself and a high school tennis coach for more than 30 years, could hardly believe Agassi was in Grand Forks, N.D.

"He said 'hi' to me," Paukert said only half jokingly of meeting a legend.

More than 8,000 people came to watch Roddick and Agassi at the tennis match, which Agassi won 6-4, 7-6(8-6).

But some didn't even have to go to the event to catch a glimpse of the stars. Andy Roddick dropped in on a popular Grand Forks restaurant Tuesday.

The first thing Roddick said when he was asked about Grand Forks was this: "I did get to the Red Pepper, and had a helluva sandwich."

Folks at the Red Pepper said Roddick ordered a half a ham grinder with taco meat.

How much did Roddick like the sandwich?

"Before he left, he wanted to get another one to go," said Max Weisser, the brother of Duddy and a former Central tennis player who works at the Pepper.

Max Weisser said he and another employee recognized Roddick. Otherwise, he said, "Nobody really noticed him."

By the time Roddick left, word had gotten around.

Agassi spent Tuesday night at the Hilton Garden Inn in Grand Forks. Roddick flew out of town Tuesday night because he had a prior commitment. Agassi flies out of Grand Forks today for a tournament in Madrid, Spain.

In the afternoon at REA, Agassi met with UND women's tennis players in the stands. Agassi was told that the women's team members would be ball boys for the event.

"So if they whip it over your head, don't get too mad," said Tom Wynne, UND coach.

Agassi told the Sioux players: "Watch out for Andy's serve."

Roddick, of course, has the world record with a 155 mph serve. Asked if he thought one might see the 156 mph mark at the REA, Agassi said:

"I hope you don't, because I know it's not going to be coming from my racket."

A radar gun wasn't on hand to clock Roddick's serve Tuesday night on the makeshift REA court. But Jackie Reede, an Aberdeen, S.D., resident who attended the match, says Roddick's serves had some heat.

Reede was sitting in the front row, directly behind where the serves of Agassi and Roddick sometimes left the court, mostly on aces. All that stood between Reede and a fastball from Roddick's racket was a 3-foot curtain.

"It was pretty intense," Reede said. "I did get hit in the left shoulder. It had a little sting to it."

Her husband, Nathan Reede, said: "It was definitely a good seat, but it was a dangerous seat."

Agassi was impressed by the $100 million-plus building, which was built by the late Ralph Engelstad, who owned and operated a casino and hotel in Las Vegas.

Agassi lives in Las Vegas with his wife, Steffi Graf, and their two children.

"It seems quite extraordinary, something the university should be very proud of," Agassi said of the arena that is home to UND hockey. "I wish we had this in Las Vegas."

Grand Forks might rival Las Vegas for stargazing Monday and today.

Tonight, the Minnesota Timberwolves will meet the Milwaukee Bucks in an exhibition game at the Alerus Center.

We go from Agassi and Roddick to the reigning NBA MVP, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, and his supporting cast, all in a 24-hour period.

Stars from A (Andre and Andy) to KG.

Now that's entertainment.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #58
country flag Deboogle!.

A tennis fan's dream

GF man gets to play Roddick; local students get to be 'ball boys'

By Lisa Davis

Herald Staff Writer

One Grand Forks resident learned not to run off his mouth Tuesday night - but then again, maybe not.

His comments likely made him the envy of just about everyone who attended the Engelstad Open match between tennis superstars Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Matt Bydal called out to Roddick, bragging he could return one of Roddick's serves.

Roddick stopped to listen for a moment, and then motioned for Bydal to come out on the floor.

Looking a little flustered when Roddick beckoned, Bydal walked down the steps and onto the court.

The crowd of about 8,000 roared as Bydal was given a helmet and a little advice from Agassi.

Roddick showed him just how hard it is - Bydal did his best, but wasn't able to return any of Roddick's serves.

After he made his way off the court, Bydal, who admitted he doesn't play much tennis, said Roddick was "pretty impressive."

He also admitted he was happy to have the helmet.

Bydal said he probably wouldn't call out any more during the rest of the exhibition.

Ball duty

Bydal wasn't the only Grand Forks resident to see the players up close Tuesday.

Several local students had the role of being ball boys and girls, too.

Liza Wischer was one of those ball girls out on the floor.

She stood calmly waiting for the balls with her long hair tied back in a ponytail.

The sophomore tennis player from Grand Forks Red River High School began playing tennis at age seven at the urging of her parents.

Over the years, she fell in love with the sport. Now at age 16, she travels all year playing national tournaments.

She said traveling doesn't compare to seeing Agassi and Roddick up close and personal, and admitted she was a little nervous about her duties.

But after being out during the opening match with the Jensen brothers, she said she felt a little more confident about her role.

"I think making them laugh helped us," she said. Even so, she had a hard time believing how good the players were.

"When you're that close it feels like you're in the match," she said.

So when Agassi and Roddick came on - she said it was even more unbelievable.

"It's just amazing how hard they serve," she said. "It was scary when they served on my side."

Wischer is the daughter of Jane and Brian Wischer.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 PM   #59
country flag Deboogle!.

Great Show in Grand Forks
by: Staff

10/13/2004 --

Andy and Andre Agassi dazzled a packed house of 9,500 at the Ralph Engelstad Arena last night in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Spectators came from as far away as Montana, Canada, and Minneapolis-St. Paul to see world class tennis, support charity, and have a lot of fun.

Governor of North Dakota, John Hoeven, opened and closed the evening’s festivities beginning with the Jensens doubles match followed by Andy and Andre in a professional exhibition filled with laser shots and bullet serves. Andre won the first set 6-4 and squeezed out the second set tiebreaker 7-6 to win the match.

Andy brought the crowd into full participation after someone shouted from the stands, “Your serve isn’t so fast!” The next thing this person knew, he was on the court with a hockey helmet on with Andy saying, “Return these!” and then proceeded to hit three rocket serves at his helmeted opponent, who reportedly is still looking for those tennis balls.

Andre addressed the crowd thanking Andy for helping raise funds for his charity and assuring Andy he would gladly return the favor. That is good news for Andy and great news for all the fans who want to see these two great players compete.

Andy’s customary busy schedule had him hustling to the airport to fly to Bristol, CT. to tape a commercial for ESPN Sports Center on Wednesday.

Check back for updates on Andy’s activities.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #60
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Cool shoes. Andy should be leaving Tomorrow for Madrid, he's got nothing left to do after today right? That's enough time.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote