The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #16
country flag RodFan08

RodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Charity Appearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Charity critical to Agassi
By Hayden Goethe,The Forum
Published Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Andre Agassi established the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation hoping to help at-risk children inside and outside the classroom.

His rigorous ATP schedule never limits him from participating in multiple events each season, such as today's Engelstad Open in Grand Forks.

"I'm always looking for ways to generate interest and dollars for my foundation," said Agassi, who estimates $50 million has been raised for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy.

Bill Rapp, promoter of the Engelstad Open, visited Agassi's College Preparatory Academy recently, calling it "one of the most emotional experiences I've had in my life."

Roddick established his own foundation in 2001. He hopes his the Andy Roddick Foundation can mirror the successes of Agassi's foundation.

"His foundation is what I would like mine to be like," Roddick said. "I have no qualms about helping out when I can."

Agassi and Roddick are looking forward to bringing tennis to North Dakota, providing locals a rare opportunity to see two of the top Americans in the game today.

"There's not much for tennis out that way," Roddick said. "It's always exciting to take tennis somewhere that they don't usually see it live."

Neither Agassi nor Roddick has ever been to North Dakota.

Roddick, an Omaha, Neb., native, said his father was stationed in North Dakota "once upon a time."

With Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, as headliners, there is a belief that women's tennis has surpassed the men's game in popularity. But don't tell Roddick that.

Roddick disputes the claim, saying the men's game is at least as popular as the women's game right now.

"It's up to the players," Roddick said. "I think there could be a lot of great personalities."

Roddick and Agassi are expected to arrive in Grand Forks at 2 p.m. today. The two players played in an exhibition in Irvine, Calif., on Monday to benefit the Elton John AIDS foundation and the National AIDS fund. … The Ralph Engelstad Arena received an indoor court from California late last week. … Roddick squashed any rumor about his own reality show. "Reality TV doesn't really interest me."
Where did u find this articel. I couldn't find any
RodFan08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #17
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles Deb

Here are some pics from last night, sorry didnt have time to size Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charity-14.JPG (17.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg charity-15.JPG (20.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Charity-17.JPG (19.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg charity-18.JPG (21.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg charity-20.JPG (21.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg charity-21.JPG (21.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg charity-22.JPG (24.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg charity-25.JPG (26.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg charity-26.JPG (17.7 KB, 34 views)

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #18
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not pleased with the tummy picture.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #19
country flag RodFan08

RodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond reputeRodFan08 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakdancingfish
ditto.
What he doesn't look like he gained any weight to me
Old 10-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #20
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

yes he does

It's so great that ND is so excited about this
===========
PRO TENNIS: Agassi-Roddick ready to roll

Exhibition match brings two of the best in world to Grand Forks

By Kevin Fee

Herald Staff Writer

Andre Agassi feels he might be in an icy, dicey situation tonight.

He's a little nervous about facing Andy Roddick's world-record serve, especially at the home of the UND hockey team - Ralph Engelstad Arena.

"Hopefully they have something solid to put over the ice," Agassi said, "because if we're playing on top of ice, I'm not liking my chances of returning 150 mph serves."

Actually, Agassi is among the best in the world at returning serves. Roddick serves up the hardest serve in the world, recently clocked at 155 mph. So it should be an interesting matchup when the two meet at 7:30 p.m. in an exhibition match billed as The Engelstad Open.

Prior to the Agassi-Roddick match on the cushioned hardcourt that will be brought in from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Luke and Murphy Jensen will play an exhibition doubles match against a team of former University of Minnesota players, Alex Zharinov Will and Chris Wettengel.

Those involved in bringing the event to Grand Forks expect a little show but hard competition between Roddick and Agassi.

"They said they're going to have fun and play loose, but they're going to play a competitive match," said Chris Semrau, director of events for Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Roddick agrees. While it's not a crucial or serious match, he says nobody likes to lose. The Agassi-Roddick match will be the best-of-three sets.

"It's a different kind of match," Roddick said. "I'm sure we'll be able to get the crowd involved, and we'll be talking a little more."

Trash talking? It's doubtful.

"Andre and I are really good friends," Roddick said. "I wish I could give you some more controversy, but there's nothing there."

When Roddick and Agassi get together, it's usually a tight match. Both players still have things they want to accomplish this season, so Luke Murphy says he expects them to play hard. In one of the top matches of the year on the ATP Master Series in Cincinnati in August, the 34-year-old Agassi defeated the 22-year-old Roddick 7-5, 6-7, 7-6.

"If you talk to the (American) players around the locker room, they say this match I'd like to pay to see," Luke Jensen said of Agassi-Roddick.

Agassi has a 5-1 career record against Roddick.

"I got a couple of wins early on that were uneventful, ... but they've been getting tougher and tougher," Agassi said. "I broke his serve once last time we played, and he didn't break me any. The time before that, he beat me. The secret for me is to fight for my life from the first point."

Time is running out on this matchup. Agassi is approaching retirement age.

"I can see Agassi retiring at any time," Luke Murphy said.

Semrau expects to have more than 8,000 fans.

"It should be a good night," he said.

Some of the proceeds will go to Agassi's foundation. Roddick also has a foundation, which he started when he was 19.

"I've participated in events such as this one that have benefited (Agassi's) foundation," Roddick said. "His is what I would like mine to be some day. It's a lofty goal."

Roddick's father lived in North Dakota for a while.

"I've heard bits and pieces," Roddick said of North Dakota. "I was pretty excited because I know there's not much pro tennis that way, and I haven't played that way. It's always exciting to take tennis to places that don't see it that often."

=======================
========================
========================

EVENTS: Tennis, anyone?

Engelstad preps for tonight's Roddick-Agassi exhibition

By Lisa Davis

Herald Staff Writer

The Ralph is sporting a new floor at least for a day or two.

A blue (not ice blue, though) tennis floor was put down Monday in the Grand Forks arena for tonight's Engelstad Open featuring top pros Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi.

"I think it's more unique than any concert coming to Grand Forks," said Chris Semrau, director of events. "Right now, this exhibition is one of the most successful ones in the whole world, not just in ticket sales but in the caliber of players as well."

Before Agassi and Roddick take to the court in the best-of-three-sets exhibition, Luke and Murphy Jensen, known for their entertaining antics, will open play against an area doubles team in an eight-game pro set.

Semrau said the Jensens will be "miked," giving the crowd a new perspective to the game.

Crews worked Monday to install the tennis floor, which arrived in the arena in 22 crates from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Each crate keeps the sections of floor suspended so they're not squished during shipping. After the ice was melted and drained, crews worked for about five hours Monday to put the floor in place.

Chip Moreland with Vintage Contractors said the same floor also is used in the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul and, of course, in the Staples Center.

"It's similar to carpet backing with an acrylic tennis court top," Moreland said.

The out-of-bounds lines already are on the floor, so once it is in place, it's ready.

"It's just like what you see on every tennis court," Moreland said.

When the match is over, the floor will be rolled up, placed in the crates and shipped back to Los Angeles.

The Ralph also can be converted to a basketball arena and will serve as the home for conference games for men's and women's basketball.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #21
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it was a ton of fun
=========

Tennis event is a smash hit

Humor carries the day at WTT Smash Hits event, which played to overflow crowd Monday at Bren Events Center.
Rick Devereux, Daily Pilot

BREN EVENTS CENTER — If you ever get a chance to meet tennis star Andy Roddick, don't tell him his serve doesn't look that fast. You might regret it.

At the World Team Tennis Smash Hits event at the Bren Events Center Monday, a fan yelled to the world's No. 2-ranked tennis player known for his blistering serve that his serves look faster on television than in real life.

Roddick stopped the exhibition mixed doubles set he was playing with Tracey Austin against Andre Agassi and Anna Kournikova to talk with the heckler. Roddick invited the man to try to return a few of his serves.

After three heaters, Dave Slingsby reached into his pocket and waved a white handkerchief in surrender.

Such was the light mood surrounding the 12th annual charity event that raises money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

The standing-room-only crowd of 5,167 was treated to fun, laughter and, oh yeah, some really great tennis.

"Southern California has always been great for tennis," John said. "This event started in California 12 years ago and we wanted to bring it back."

The inaugural Smash Hits was played in Los Angeles in 1993.

"If you look at the tennis champions that have played in this event," Roddick said, "it's just an honor to be here."

Agassi, Kournikova and Agassi's coach, Darren Cahill, were coached by tennis legend Billie Jean King. They faced Roddick, two-time U.S. open champion Tracy Austin and Agassi's former coach ad Roddick's current instructor, Brad Gilbert. They formed the team coached by John.

The opening celebrity set of Agassi-Kournikova against John-Roddick was easygoing, with the professionals not putting forth too much of an effort. At least not too much of an effort playing tennis.

Agassi was the clown of the court, telling Kournikova to bend over and sway more while he served. He was also playing cat-and-mouse wit the ball girl trying to retrieve a loose ball, letting her get close and then faking like he was going to pick up the ball.

After Kournikova double faulted on a serve, Agassi coached the blond Russian on the proper serving technique. Kournikova must have been too busy laughing to pick up on the instruction, because she double faulted again.

"I would like to bring this type of atmosphere to the [Association of Tennis Professionals tour]," Agassi said. "I think this reaches a new audience and brings enthusiasm to the game."

The seriousness got turned up a notch in the ensuing men's doubles set, but it only got turned up a little. Agassi-Cahill were forced to field Roddick zingers. Spectators in the first row behind the baseline were handed baseball gloves to protect themselves from the speeding serves that invariably slipped past the Agassi-Cahill defense.

During the mixed doubles of Kournikova-Cahill vs. Austin-Gilbert, Agassi was coaching his coach, yelling for Cahill to smash it. Apparently the students couldn't stand watching the teachers, because Roddick yelled for a substitute before the third game of the set.

With the top men back in the game, the women became a little feisty. Kournikova smashed consecutive balls at Roddick, prompting a plea for safety from Roddick. During an exchange of baseline shots, Austin yelled at Agassi to "Bring it on, baby." The four-time Grand Slam winner proceeded to blaze a groundstroke past her.

At one point, Agassi took off his shirt and flexed, much to the delight of females in the audience.

Kournikova was so impressed, she fanned her face with a playful smile.

It prompted Roddick to suggest the match should continue as a shirts-against-skins affair, but Kournikova did not follow her partner's striptease.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 10-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #22
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Andy's elbow has healed up pretty quick.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #23
country flag RodFan08

I wonder if Andy took off his shirt or just lifted it up. Either way, it's funny.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #24
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even notice Andy's tummy. I was too busy staring at the close-up pics of his eyes. Love those eyes.

Thanks Carly.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #25
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for pics Carly. Love those eyes too.

Oh my god I am very excited and happy because my friend met Andy after that event yesterday!
Not only she got autograph but she talked him a little bit, gave our massage to him and she hugged him!
She said he was hotter than pics in real life.
Nishy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #26
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

WOW Nishy that is awesome

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:16 PM   #27
country flag Anik

Anik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond reputeAnik has a reputation beyond repute

Safina ~ Bovina ~ Hantuchova ~ Sharapova ~ Haynes ~ Na ~ Pennetta ~ Vesnina ~ Karatancheva ~ V.Williams ~ Zheng ~ Lisicki ~ Sprem ~ Myskina ~ Mokh ~ Pelletier ~ Dubois ~ Wozniak ~ Marois ~ Tetreault ~ Gloria ~ Bouchard ~ Jodoin ~ E. Abanda ~ F. Abanda
Anik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #28
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I experienced her pleasure vicariously.
She gave him my message too and one of my message that I wrote is "it would be nice to have the expert who helps technical side like volley and backhand".
Nishy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.

LOL Amanda!! You're so cute!!!!!

Hey Nishy, did your friend say who won any of the matches? That's great she had so much fun and that Andy was so nice - I agree that he's cuter in person than in pics

Old 10-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #30
country flag Deboogle!.

LOL Amanda!! You're so cute!!!!!

Hey Nishy, did your friend say who won any of the matches? That's great she had so much fun and that Andy was so nice - I agree that he's cuter in person than in pics