The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 138 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #2056
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!)

Indeed. I just hope it doesn't backfire on him

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #2057
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethly View Post
ok, it took me a while to figure out what KERJ was but I got it. I guess I'm a little slow. (Fee, don't laugh at me!)
Very Clever ladies.

I think it's great that Andy is participating in the Champions for Chile, especailly now that he made the finals. You have to admire his commitment.

Bethly I would never laugh at you (but I might laugh next to you). You could have just asked me what Kerj meant and I would have told you that it means "baby-eating frat boy who yells at chair umpires and tries to make everyone forget that he's a punk by doing nice charity stuff and crying in public when a little boy who was doomed by his illness surprises him at a dinner function"

Crud, I forgot about the Champions for Chile thing. Fingers crossed that the karma points protect him on Sunday.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #2058
country flag andylovesaustin

andylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you all think they might show "Champions for Chile" on TV?

I'm so excited about this.. Andy is playing and then Guga--my favorite player of all time is playing!

I read Andy's presser yesterday, and Andy is really excited about playing the event!!!

He said he's committed and excited--happy to do it!

It's gonna be Gonzo/Guga v Andy/ Jim Courier, right?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #2059
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the us vs south America or whatever lol. I dunno if ttc picked up rights to air it. Hopefully a stream if nothing else.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #2060
country flag Deboogle!.

according to Greg Couch who was there, Andy and Courier won 7-5 3-6 10-6 and the event raised $125,000. Sounds from his tweets that it was played in very good spirits. Such a shame there was no place to watch it

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 04-03-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #2061

andylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
according to Greg Couch who was there, Andy and Courier won 7-5 3-6 10-6 and the event raised $125,000. Sounds from his tweets that it was played in very good spirits. Such a shame there was no place to watch it
Ah man! I really wanted to see it!

Sounds like they all had a good time, and raised some needed money.

Maybe some clips will be on Youtube, or perhaps the Sony/Ericsson site?

Some pics as least, please!

I tell you what, if this had been in Austin, I would have so been there!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #2062
country flag Deboogle!.

Roddick helps raise $125,000 for Chilean relief

13 minutes ago

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP)—Andy Roddick tuned up for Sunday’s final at the Sony Ericsson Open by playing two sets of celebrity doubles to benefit Chilean earthquake victims.

Fernando Gonzalez of Chile organized the event Saturday with Roddick’s help. Grand Slam champions Jim Courier and Gustavo Kuerten also played.

Roddick came up with the shot of the match—a back-to-the-net flick through his legs and between his opponents for a winner. As the crowd roared, Roddick waved his index finger and sprinted off the court, pretending to leave.

“See you tomorrow!” he shouted.

He’ll face Tomas Berdych in the men’s final.

The charity event raised $125,000 and drew several thousand fans, who occasionally chanted, “Chi-chi-chi! Le-le-le!”

“I felt lucky to participate,” Kuerten said. “Hopefully this will give people some hopes and dreams.”

“My country will never forget this,” Gonzalez said.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Roddick helps raise $125,000 for Chilean relief

13 minutes ago

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP)—Andy Roddick tuned up for Sunday’s final at the Sony Ericsson Open by playing two sets of celebrity doubles to benefit Chilean earthquake victims.

Fernando Gonzalez of Chile organized the event Saturday with Roddick’s help. Grand Slam champions Jim Courier and Gustavo Kuerten also played.

Roddick came up with the shot of the match—a back-to-the-net flick through his legs and between his opponents for a winner. As the crowd roared, Roddick waved his index finger and sprinted off the court, pretending to leave.

“See you tomorrow!” he shouted.

He’ll face Tomas Berdych in the men’s final.

The charity event raised $125,000 and drew several thousand fans, who occasionally chanted, “Chi-chi-chi! Le-le-le!”

“I felt lucky to participate,” Kuerten said. “Hopefully this will give people some hopes and dreams.”

“My country will never forget this,” Gonzalez said.

And Andy!................. "See ya tomorrow!"

Gotta love him!

Ah..... sounds like it was a really good event.

to the Champions!

Ah.. that pic with the four of them! Thanks for posting the pics!

They are ALL just too cute!

Last edited by andylovesaustin : 04-04-2010 at 02:18 AM.
andylovesaustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #2064
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Fernando Gonzalez Rallies Tennis for Chilean Earthquake Relief
4/03/2010 11:26 PM ET
By Greg Couch

MIAMI -- Fernando Gonzalez has done all the right things from his heart. He left the tennis tour for a week and went to Chile to visit his family, see the ruins in his country following the earthquake.

He toured different towns, stopped in a fishing village and hit tennis balls with kids.

And on Saturday at the Sony Ericsson Open, he ran a charity doubles event to raise money for the victims. The night raised $125,000 in an event set up just two weeks ago. Roughly 4,000 people were there.

"You three guys are really great champions inside the court and outside the court," he said to Andy Roddick, Jim Courier and Gustavo Kuerten, who played with him. "Thank you so much. My country will never forget this."

Tennis got one right Saturday.

The game tried a charity Hit for Haiti in Indian Wells a couple weeks ago, and while it did raise $1 million, it also embarrassed the sport, playing up the stereotype of self-absorbed, entitled athletes. In that one, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi put their petty feud above the cause, thought the night was about them, and actually chose that setting to start bickering over their microphones.

Not this time. Instead, Gonzalez has continued to use his position and fame to help. Roddick, who will play in the tournament finals on Sunday, interrupted his late preparations to help.

Kuerten came in from Brazil, and Courier from New York.

"Tennis is one big family," Courier said. "And we're good about supporting each other. Initiatives like this, in a time of crisis like this, we're lucky, tennis is lucky, we have a platform to raise money and raise awareness.

"When you have someone like Fernando taking the lead and making the calls, we're going to say yes to him."

The night was fun, with no embarrassing comments over the mics. Roddick and Courier beat Gonzalez and Kuerten 7-5, 3-6, and then 10-6 in a deciding super tiebreaker.

The event wasn't particularly competitive, though it was nice to see Guga's backhand again.

Roddick hit the shot of the night when he ran down a lob, then hit back through his legs, splitting Gonzalez and Kuerten for a winner. On one point, Roddick and Courier were dinking, lobbing and angling, running Gonzalez all over the place. During the point, Kuerten, who had just been standing there watching, walked to the other side of the net. They played three-on-one for a few shots, with Gonzalez's endless scrambling, until Courier went to Gonzo's side.

When the point was over, Gonzalez dropped flat on his back and Kuerten ran over to give CPR.

Once, Roddick hit a ball into the stands, and then everyone in the lower deck started waving at him to hit a ball to them.

He smiled and waved back.

That was the tone.

But clearly, Gonzalez has turned this into a personal mission. Shortly after the earthquake, he spent several hours in Mexico, where he has just played a tournament, nervously trying to reach family members.

Then, he went back and played in Chile's victory over Israel in the Davis Cup. He withdrew from Indian Wells in March to stay behind for a humanitarian effort with Hogar de Cristo, a Chilean charity he has worked with. He went to other players asking for donations for an auction. With the help of the charity, he set up a chance to socialize with him, selling tickets for $1,000 apiece.

So I asked him what he saw in Chile.

"Exactly the same that you see on TV," he said. "I spent almost three days over there. I went to between 10 and 12 different locations. Just a lot of damage. There are a few small cities that really disappear.

"I mean, the people are scared ... Some people lose family. Most of the people lost houses, jobs, everything. They have nothing. So I went there in a signal to say my country is all together. We're going to go together.

"They need help. They need the first push. I think all the Chileans are trying to help."

Here's to hoping Sampras and Agassi saw how it's done.

Gonzalez and tennis did their part.

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/04/0...nis-for-chile/

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #2065
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Hit for Haiti reminded me why I preferred Courier and Chang over Agassi and Sampras.

It is good to see the media lauding players who can check their ego/self-absorption at the door.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #2066
country flag Deboogle!.

Champions play tennis for Chile earthquake relief

By KBT staff
Key Biscayne Times

A charity doubles match at the Sony Ericsson on Key Biscayne Saturday, raised $125,000 to benefit Chilean earthquake victims.
In a possibly unprecedented gesture, Mens singles finalist Andy Roddick put aside his title ambitions to play alongside Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, organizer or the event, and retired champions Jim Courier and Gustavo Kuerten.

"My people will always thank you for this," Gonzalez said after the game, which was won by the American duo, Roddick and Courier. Gonzalez, who is a superstar in Chile and is ranked 9th in the world, had special praise for Roddick's generosity in dedicating his time and effort to Chile on a day most players would normally spend preparing mentally and physically for the final.

"He's great person," said Gonzalez. "It shows there's more important things than tennis, and I think he feels that way. I hope he wins the tournament. He really deserves it."

He also thanked Kuerten for flying in especially for the event from Brazil, and Courier, who came down from New York.

"I thank all of you for coming out today," Roddick told the crowd, before running off to prepare for Sunday's match against Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic. Roddick described how he was personally inspired by Gonzalez's decision to forego an important tennis tournament after the magnitude 8.8 earthquake hit Chile in late February, to travel home and help out. "Flying home and trying to lift the spirits by traveling around was a great deed," Roddick said.

After hearing of the disaster, Gonzalez withdrew from the Indian Wells Masters event in California to visit hard hit towns and assist Hogar de Cristo, a Chilean charity that helps provide shelter for the homeless. Courier and Kuerten are also known for their charity work. Courier noted he has visited Chile a couple of times. "It's a beautiful country and a beautiful people. Hopefully things will get better there soon. Tennis is one big family and at a time of crisis like this we have a stage. It would be inconceivable to say no."

A good crowd turned out for the match under sunny later-afternoon skies, some carrying Chilean flags.

"It's wonderful they organized this," said Lermy Vásquez, a Chilean-born travel arranger who lives in Miami. "We need this to help reconstruct our country. Every little bit that helps is important."

Chileans Roberto and Cecilia Rischmaui brought there son and daughter to support Gonzalez's initiative. "There are two million people with no houses and they need help," said Roberto. "It's wonderful what he has done."

Chileans Ricardo Olmos and his wife Paz Aguirre drove down from West Palm Beach for the event. "All our family is in Chile. Thank God they are all fine. But we have friends who lost everything."

The players made it an entertaining game wearing mikes and showing off their close net play as well as between the legs shots (Roddick managed to hit one for a winner). At one point Courier and Kuerten switched sides, and the ball boys and girls were also handed the rackets for a few points.

After hitting one ball in the net, Roddick joked, "I'm saving all the good ones for tomorrow." He also practiced his Spanish for the largely South American crowd. "Mi gato esta en fuego," he said, prompting umpire, Mary Jo Fernandez, to remark, "That sounds dangerous."

Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #2067
country flag Selby

Selby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond repute

Andy videos taken by people in the crowd maybe?
Selby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #2068
country flag Deboogle!.

highlights http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/Tenn...For-Chile.aspx

Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #2069
country flag Deboogle!.

Andy at it again

video: http://journalstar.com/special-secti...cc4c03286.html
================
Roddick shares serving tips and spotlight

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:02 pm

William Harris let loose with a powerful serve.

"THUMP!"

The tennis ball whizzed over the net and zoomed between Andy Roddick and his Special Olympics athlete playing partner.

A crowd of some 300 athletes, volunteers and spectators at the Nebraska Tennis Center cheered.

Said Roddick, the top-ranked tennis player in America: "I'm pretty excited to have the second-best serve on the court."

Harris, an athlete from Foxbury, Mass., was more excited to talk about his encounters with Roddick than his ace.

"Look what he signed!" said Harris, showing Roddick's autograph on his racquet.

Harris said he'd been practicing for an entire year just to participate in his first Special Olympics National Games. Playing a doubles game against Roddick, a Nebraska native, was a surprise bonus.

And, oh, the memories and stories.

"I had my hat this way, right?" Harris said. "And then I went like this, I turned my hat (backward), and Roddick's up there at the net, and he did the same thing!"

Roddick was a day away from beginning competition in this week's Atlanta Tennis Championships, where he's the top seed. That didn't prevent him from conducting an hour-long clinic on Sunday, the first day of the games in Lincoln.

"They asked if I wanted to get involved, and that was an easy question to answer," said Roddick, whose wife, model and actress Brooklyn Decker, was co-emcee for Sunday's opening ceremony.

"My aunt-in-law has special needs, and I've done some stuff in Charlotte with her and with her tennis team, and I enjoyed it," he said. "I probably enjoyed it more than they did. I look forward to getting involved on a bigger scale."

Roddick interacted with as many athletes as he could during drills and games, moving from court to court and offering high-fives and words of encouragement.

"Good job, Connor!" he said during a racquet-handling drill. "You're going fast."

After drills, he'd ask athletes how they played - between pictures and autographs.

"As long as they look back on today and have positive memories and enjoy it and remember it ... if they associated that with tennis as well, that's even better."

Roddick later went through an hour-long workout with his hitting partner and friend, Dylan Walker. One spectator pleaded with Roddick, who was hitting ground strokes, to show off his serve.

"I'll get there," Roddick said. "It's not that shot I need to practice."

Roddick eventually did work on serves, much to the delight of onlookers armed with cameras.

However, the serve of the day surely belonged to Harris.

"But," Harris said, "my forehand got a little off."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4c435077e1118.image.jpg (83.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 4c4345d3e5457.image.jpg (46.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #2070
country flag Heather1229

Heather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that Andy and Brooklyn helped out with the Special Olympics!
Heather1229 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote