The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #181
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Charity Appearances

Dent Faces Roddick In Grand Slam Jam
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #182
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Go home Andre, you always steal Kournikova away from Andy.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #183
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Some news from the event tonight in houston... there are pics around but I can't find any of Andy

Edit: aha I found a pic
-----------------
Lighthearted action brings relief in serious cause
Over $500,000 raised as 8,193 see tennis event

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

If the purpose couldn't have been more serious, the action was decidedly less so. Goose-and-giggle tennis is what they played at the Toyota Center on Monday night.

But Andy Roddick got himself a victory, which he needed even if it came with a whole lot of silliness attached, and so did Houston, which came through in typically generous fashion on behalf of the Bush-Clinton Fund for Tsunami Relief.

"Give yourselves a hand," announcer Wayne Bryan told the crowd. "You people are unbelievable."

Coming off a disappointing semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open, then having to battle gridlock to get to the arena, Roddick put on a happy face nonetheless and defeated Tommy Haas 7-6 (6) in the evening's feature. The German Haas had, of course, beaten him at Westside Tennis Club last April in the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships final. (Good to know he still can win tiebreaks against good players.... IN EXHIBITIONS )

The official turnstile count for the Serving for Tsunami Relief exhibition was 8,193 and, although there appeared to be a significant number of no-shows on a cold, wet night, the event proved a rousing financial success on behalf of the millions of people affected by the giant tidal wave that devastated vast coastal regions of Asia and Africa the last week of December.

One "fan" who insisted upon annonymity paid $250,000 for his 50 seats. Even Super Bowl tickets a year ago weren't selling for five grand apiece.

The total take, including on-site donations, was $518,952, presented in the form of a giant check to the city's first sports fan, former President George H.W. Bush. Some $2,944 was collected by students at the KIPP Academy, a local charter school.

The United States Tennis Association sent an additional $25,000.

The players, for their part, accepted no compensation for participating, and the NBA Rockets provided the arena rent-free, save for the cost of staffing. It was the first time tennis had been played in the downtown venue, which opened in the fall of 2003. The upper deck was curtained off, the same as for Aeros hockey games.

"Everything's going very smoothly except for the fact that I just lost to a guy who has more gray hair than my father," a jet-lagged Jim Courier, whose production company staged the event, said after losing 6-4 to McEnroe, 12 years his senior, in the opening Champions singles match.

In the celebrity mixed doubles, TV shrink and best-selling author Dr. Phil (McGraw) teamed with Anna Kournikova to defeat former University of Houston and NBA legend Clyde Drexler and his partner, Chris Evert 6-4. Admonished for losing to a psychologist by announcer Wayne Bryan, Drexler had a response.

"The ball I played with," Hall-of-Famer Drexler pointed out, "was a little bigger."

Dr. Phil, however, happens to be a pretty solid player. He had also umpired the McEnroe match — without incident.

McEnroe and Kournikova paired up to defeat Roddick and Evert 4-2 in the abbreviated concluding match.

====================================
=====================================
======================================

Tennis stars help raise more than $500,000

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Andy Roddick, Tommy Haas, John McEnroe, Chris Evert and Jim Courier played a little fun tennis for a big cause Monday night, helping to raise more than $518,000 for tsunami relief.

Roddick, who lost to Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals of the Australian Open, defeated Haas 7-6 (6) in the feature match of the event for the Bush-Clinton Fund for Tsunami Relief.

Courier, whose production company put on the event, lost 6-4 to McEnroe in the opening match.

"Everything's going very smoothly except for the fact that I just lost to a guy who has more gray hair than my father," Courier said about the loss to 45-year-old McEnroe, 12 years his senior.

The Houston Chronicle reported in its Tuesday editions that one person who insisted on anonymity paid $250,000 for 50 seats at the benefit at the Toyota Center and the United States Tennis Association contributed $25,000. Former President Bush accepted a giant check for $518,952.

Evert praised the current players who participated in the event.

"They flew all the way in from Australia for this," she said. "In my day, we never played charity events (during the season). To see Andy fly over after a very disappointing loss - I'm sure he's not very happy right now - that's really impressive."

"Andy Roddick gets it, and Jim Courier gets it," McEnroe said. "Tennis needs events like this, innovations, new ways to reach out to the fans. It's for a great cause, obviously, and it's also very good for the game. Jim has credibility because he has won (three Grand Slams).

"He's still young enough that the current players know him, but he's been around long enough for the older guys like myself to remember him beating up on me at the end of my career. It's a good combination, making it easy for him to reach a lot of people."

The event was to help relief efforts in south Asia where the tsunami, triggered by a massive earthquake on Dec. 26, claimed more than 178,000 lives in 11 countries.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 02-01-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #184
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
Coming off a disappointing semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open, then having to battle gridlock to get to the arena, Roddick put on a happy face nonetheless and defeated Tommy Haas 7-6 (6) in the evening's feature. The German Haas had, of course, beaten him at Westside Tennis Club last April in the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships final. (Good to know he still can win tiebreaks against good players.... IN EXHIBITIONS )
That's right!
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #185
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few pics at WireImage *hint to those who are members*
============
With Roddick, game's future in good hands
McEnroe, Evert envision broader reach of sport with young gun at helm

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Gramps and Granny looked around and pronounced it good. The kids, John McEnroe and Chris Evert agreed, are all right. Their game, tennis, appears to be in good hands.

"I can't pat myself on the back," Evert said. "I'm a retired player. But I want to pat the current players on the back. They flew all the way in from Australia for this. In my day, we never played charity events (during the season). To see Andy (Roddick) fly over after a very disappointing loss — I'm sure he's not very happy right now — that's really impressive."

Perhaps even more impressively, Australian Open semifinalist and part-time Austin resident Roddick further braved the Katy Freeway in a rainstorm to be a part of the Serving for Tsunami Relief charity event at Toyota Center Monday night. Germany's Tommy Haas, the reigning U.S. Men's Clay Court champion, joined him.

Two top salesmen
And Jim Courier, who looks young to McEnroe, brought the party together with his new InsideOut Sports & Entertainment production company and the promotional skills of Houston retailer Jim McIngvale, who sells tennis as aggressively as furniture.

"Andy Roddick gets it, and Jim Courier gets it," McEnroe said. "Tennis needs events like this, innovations, new ways to reach out to the fans. It's for a great cause, obviously, and it's also very good for the game.

"Jim has credibility because he has won (three Grand Slams). He's still young enough that the current players know him, but he's been around long enough for the older guys like myself to remember him beating up on me at the end of my career. It's a good combination, making it easy for him to reach a lot of people."

Courier arrived late Monday afternoon, having flown in directly from Melbourne, where he helped broadcast the men's final for Australian TV.

McEnroe, soon to be 46, and Evert, who turned 50 in December, won 25 Slams from 1974 to 1986, including 18 for Evert. They were on top when tennis was on top, too. Because they lament the sport's decline in the United States, damaged by years of promotional neglect and an explosion of entertainment options, they're excited to lend a hand any way they can.

All the evening's profits — $518,952 with 8,193 in attendance — will be going to the Bush-Clinton Fund to aid the victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami on Dec. 26. McIngvale is the Houston area's Bush-Clinton chairman.

McIngvale's role in the proceedings didn't go unnoticed by either McEnroe or Evert. They don't know him like Roddick and Haas have come to know him, but they've heard enough to be sufficiently impressed.

"The morning I got the call about the event," Evert said, "I went over to our tennis academy, where Andy was practicing for the Australian Open. I asked him if he knew about it. He said, 'Is Mattress Mack putting it on?' When I told him yes, he said, 'I'm there. I don't care if I make the finals. I'm flying in that day. Anything he does, I feel a responsibility to be there.' I think that's a good indication of how Andy Roddick feels."

McEnroe called McIngvale "a doer."

Losing ground to golf
"It's great to see people in our sport trying to do things, being creative, coming up with ideas to push the sport's limits and shake things up," McEnroe said. "Mattress Mack gets things done. I felt disappointed the way (the ATP) handled his situation (with the Masters Cup) here. He could have really helped the sport. He still can, actually. Look at this. He loses the Masters Cup, but gets right back on track and does something like this.

"They weren't aware of this diamond they had and they just sort of let it slip by. Hopefully that mistake won't be made again. They're looking for someone new to run the ATP (CEO Mark Miles is leaving at the end of the year) and, Lord knows, that needs to change. It's a great sport. If the proper people are running it and promoting it — guys like Mack — we'd be a lot better off."

With Miles on the way out, McEnroe says he would like to become more than a peripheral force.

"To see golf blow by tennis (in popularity) ... that hurts," he said. "When I was playing, the ratings were far higher for tennis. The players have lost some leadership, and the rules were tightened because of guys like (Jimmy) Connors and myself, and it took away the personality of the sport.

"In the process, hopefully people are recognizing this. What I'm saying is nothing new. Look at NASCAR. They're always tinkering with the rules, making improvements. We've got to change with the times, too."

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #186
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles Deb

Here are the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charity05.jpg (20.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Charity05-02.jpg (16.2 KB, 24 views)

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #187
country flag Deboogle!.

Thanks! The look on his face in the first one is a little freaky LOL

Old 02-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #188
country flag tennnisgirl7

tennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputetennnisgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to this last night OMG it was totally alsome and funny

Best of luck to in 2005

Rafael Nadal Guillermo Coria Lleyton Hewitt Andy Roddick

[/b]
Texas loves you Andy and so do I!

Future Mrs. Andy Roddick
:

When I get older im going to marry Andy Roddick;he's super hot!
tennnisgirl7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #189
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really? That's great! I'm sure you had lots of fun!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #190
country flag Deboogle!.

Lucky you! Wanna give some more details?

Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #191
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Deb!

We also accept pics if you got any
Old 02-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #192
country flag Deboogle!.

Go here: http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...g0_Spo57.shtml

and click on the pic on the right of Johnny Mac with the racquet in his mouth. Wait about 7 seconds in.

I have no words.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #193
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Old 02-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #194
country flag aceit

aceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond reputeaceit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

and click on the pic on the right of Johnny Mac with the racquet in his mouth. Wait about 7 seconds in.

I have no words.
Holy mother...
Old 02-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #195
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have no words.
Ha ha Andy can do strip dance!!! Andy for hire: hen nights, parties, exhibitions, etc
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote