US Open Draw Analysis - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
country flag yesh222

yesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Open Draw Analysis

Well, for the fourth straight Grand Slam this year, Federer and Djokovic are on the same side of the draw. There are always complaints about draw fixing, and the seemingly too-high percentage of times that Federer and Nadal are on different sides of the draw after they were no longer #s 1 and 2 in the World is a bit suspicious. Though to be fair, the only way to guarantee that they are on the same side of the draw would be to fix it the opposite way. Do I think draws are fixed? Probably not. But definitely not entire draws like some fans want to think. If there is any draw-fixing going on at all, I would think that it is only things like the top 4 seeds and not every single match like some sensationalist fans would like to think. And the US Open has an arbitrary celebrity or athlete draw the seed number on a chip live out of the trophy, so it would be pretty hard, but definitely not impossible, to rig that.

Enough about how the draw is made. Let's look at the draw itself. We'll rank each quarter from toughest to easiest based on the most likely potential path for the top seed in that quarter to get to the semifinals. I will refer back to my US Open Preview several times, so if you haven't seen it already it might help to check it out now.

Andy Murray's Quarter:

When I first saw the list of players in Murray's quarter, I was a little taken aback. This quarter is absolutely loaded. Soderling, Isner, Del Potro, Simon, and Wawrinka all have the ability to beat just about anyone on their best days on a fast hard court. Luckily for Murray, however, Wawrinka is the only one of those five in Murray's half of the quarter. We pegged Soderling as a probable early exit in our preview, and with this draw I'd be shocked if he reached the quarterfinals.

Murray's path to the semis will not be so easy either though. His first-round opponent, Somdev Devvarman, is a solid player who has no real weapons to challenge Murray. If Murray's game is off it could get interesting, but I would expect this to be a quick straight-setter. Murray's second-round match could be intriguing, where he could meet Robin Haase. The Dutchman hits huge and, when he is accurate, can really trouble just about anyone. He took Rafa to five sets at Wimbledon last year by basically just trying to hit him off the court. I wouldn't expect him to beat Murray, but if he finds his range it could be a very tight and exciting match.

For the entire article, please click here. As always, thoughts and opinions are welcome and requested.
yesh222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
country flag BrunoBeidacki

BrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Open Draw Analysis

Ridiculous! You don't say the name of Thomaz Bellucci in Federer's quarter anytime. He is favorite to defeat Sela, and if in a 100% inspired day of him, he can beat Fed.

Tennis Tipping Results:
Win: BEIJING (Singles)
PARIS (Doubles w/AdeyC), 4 CHALLENGERS in Doubles
RUNNER-UP: ROLAND GARROS 2012 (Doubles w/AdeyC)
-
CLEZAR
JANOWICZ
BrunoBeidacki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
country flag Hoppers

Hoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond reputeHoppers has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look back through, and it's been the same way for 15 of the last 16 Grand Slams - Murray/Nadal on one side, Federer/Djokovic on the other! Just given you the answer to one question on my quiz I made! (see my signature)

Last edited by Hoppers : 08-25-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Hoppers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
country flag yesh222

yesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBeidacki View Post
Ridiculous! You don't say the name of Thomaz Bellucci in Federer's quarter anytime. He is favorite to defeat Sela, and if in a 100% inspired day of him, he can beat Fed.
On clay Bellucci would very much be worth a mention. I can't see him troubling Federer at all on this surface. i agree he should beat Sela, but I feel like Sela has the potential to annoy Federer a tiny bit (especially with his low spin to Federer's backhand) while Bellucci does not.
yesh222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote