Putting the ball away - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
country flag Josh_Camp

Josh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond reputeJosh_Camp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Putting the ball away

I really need some help here guys.

I'll try to make my story as short as simple as possible. Basically, I'm a player that uses a lot, and I mean a LOT of topspin, to the point where my shots have a lot less power on them. I also use a short backswing. As a result, I never really worry about hitting long, and I just worry about picking my spots and not hitting the net. I also have very low stamina, no matter how much cardio training I do.

When I play points/a match, all I do is hit the ball from side to side and move my opponent around. I'll keep doing this, hitting very good shots, and the ball will just keep popping up back to me slowly, I'll hit it to the other corner, it'll pop back slowly, I'll hit it again, etc. Basically, I will keep trying to put the ball away and my opponent will barely get it back every single time until I mess up. When I lose, it's so frustrating because I realize that I deserved to win the majority of the points, but I just couldn't put the ball away.

I also want to say that my habits are so hard to break, that various coaches were trying to change it but they couldn't because I physically couldn't change it. That's why teaching pros want my head. Anyway, I thought that a solution to this problem might be to get stronger. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it really means a lot.
Josh_Camp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the ball away

My advice maybe you need to flatten your strokes out . I hit with a lot of topspin but I need to hit with a lot to get the ball to land in as I hit the ball very hard . When I go for the kill more I flatten my strokes out more and add variety . Maybe you really don't actually hit it that hard if they keep getting it back how come your not missing any ? Your not swinging for the lines . I am sorry if this sounds harsh but you sound like a pusher . I have known some (seemingly) weak players hit the ball hard as they swing for the line . Maybe a heavier racket ?

Last edited by Super Djoker : 10-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

You probably need to add variety, but this can be achieved in more ways than just flattening out your shots.

If you are actually dictating points, are they standing well behind the baseline? If so, consider dropshots or working on sharper angles. If they wouldn't be comfortable volleying short slices to pull them forward are very effective.

Your other option would be to come into net and take it out of the air, cutting down on their time.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

For 1 hour, just swing at the ball wildly as hard as you can above shoulder level. By this I mean, flat, hitting-through-the-ball swings. Do this playing against a wall, or a person you know who plays like a wall. Once you find the range on your shots, calm down the motion a bit, and start aiming for the corners. You'll be able to do it every time if you practice this way

The only way something can have no consequences is if it has no effect. The only way something can have no effect is if it doesn't exist. It's completely paradoxical, therefore, to claim that something can exist and simultaneously have no effect.

People are not "free" to express an opinion. Instead, if they choose to express anything, they choose to pay the price. The price is the effect on others and the effect on the person. There is no free lunch in this world.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

If they really are barely getting the ball back, then be a man and close net. Seriously, learn to volley and the point is over. People always over complicate the game by assuming it's only viable to play from the baseline. Hit deep to the corners, get a short ball, approach net and hit a volley into the open court. In addition this will save you a lot of running and will help you conserve your stamina.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Another good point on this is maybe try move in . It takes there time away . I find sometimes I feed pushers too much . If a player can barely get the ball back have confidence in your next stroke ( well try to ) . I know it gets really frustrating when a player keeps getting the ball back . I would put some caution on just flattening them out as if you hit flat you have speed but less weight on the ball . Topspin shots are heavier to hit back due to the spin .
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
For 1 hour, just swing at the ball wildly as hard as you can above shoulder level. By this I mean, flat, hitting-through-the-ball swings. Do this playing against a wall, or a person you know who plays like a wall. Once you find the range on your shots, calm down the motion a bit, and start aiming for the corners. You'll be able to do it every time if you practice this way
You can hit flat below shoulder level as well ! I am 6 foot 1 thought .