Do you agree with this list of "top" 100 novels? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you agree with this list of "top" 100 novels?

Do you agree with Modern Library's list of top hundred novels of the 20th century? the poll was conducted in 1998 but I found some very interesting books omitted from the list. For instance, the Lord of the Rings never made it into the top 100 of the critical list, the work being cited as not literary enough. On the other hand, Finnegan's wake, a work barely anyone remotely understood was included on the list.

Here is the permalink: http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

So, what's MTF's take on this?

Quote:

MODERN LIBRARY'S TOP TEN:

1. ULYSSES by James Joyce
2. THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN by James Joyce
4. LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov
5. BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley
6. THE SOUND AND THE FURY by William Faulkner
7. CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller
8. DARKNESS AT NOON by Arthur Koestler
9. SONS AND LOVERS by D.H. Lawrence
10. THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck

READER'S TOP TEN:

1. ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand
2. THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand
3. BATTLEFIELD EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkien
5. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
6. 1984 by George Orwell
7. ANTHEM by Ayn Rand
8. WE THE LIVING by Ayn Rand
9. MISSION EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
10.FEAR by L. Ron Hubbard
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you agree with this list of "top" 100 novels?

Atlas Shrugged ahead of 1984 *killsself

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a write-in campaign by the readers. Either that or Tom Cruise was very busy.

Anyway, no list without "A Confederacy of Dunces" deserves to be taken seriously.

OK A list with Joyce in first and third is not all bad.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Bit of a write-in campaign by the readers. Either that or Tom Cruise was very busy.

Anyway, no list without "A Confederacy of Dunces" deserves to be taken seriously.

Buddy Holly returns with his delicate witticism

Yes, too much of Ron Hubbard on the Reader's list.

Hey, I am reading 'A Confederacy of Dunces' and I laughing from my belly...this book so far is a cracking nut job. From the reviews, I infer it must be the only screwball comedy to be considered literature.

I understand your Irish bias with Joyce.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

That's top US/English novels, not top novels Lord of the rings is more suitable for "fan's favorite" type of things, so no surprise it was omitted here.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

I thoroughly ignored the Readers' list after reading the first 10. Not worth commenting. About the other one, it seems (as most lists tend to be) biased towards older stuff. There is close to nothing post-modern or post-post-modern. I mean, no Pynchon, DeLillo, McCarthy, DFW's "Infinite Jest"? It's more like a "best 100 novels before the 70s" list.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietè)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

First thing that comes to mind is that 1984 should be higher, definitely higher than, say, Brave New World for instance.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

I do appreciate both Hitchhiker's Guide and Watership Down being on the list

I love both but prefer Brave New World to 1984

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post

Have you read Lolita? Knowing your fascination for puns and double entendres I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
I do appreciate both Hitchhiker's Guide and Watership Down being on the list

I love both but prefer Brave New World to 1984
Should have been 42nd, though, not 51st.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to have an opinion about this, but I have to admit I haven't read all the candidates. I am impressed by those who have.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Should have been 42nd, though, not 51st.
True It's not my favorite in the series though (Mostly Harmless is, then So Long and Thanks for All the Fish) What's your opinion on that?

Can't believe that wasn't in Editor's list.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
True It's not my favorite in the series though (Mostly Harmless is, then So Long and Thanks for All the Fish) What's your opinion of that?
Well, to be honest I read all of them at once. "Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - A Trilogy In Four Parts". Never focused on which book came in which order, read through the whole thing rather quickly. Same story when I read it again.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

Wait, if it was that you've never read Mostly Harmless
You must do so!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Wait, if it was that you've never read Mostly Harmless
You must do so!
Sorry, bad explanation on my part. Mostly Harmless was part of the package, even though a separate book, "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy HHGTTG". I got all five at once. The last one was not my favourite, though. Hard to separate between the first four. They were all fantastic.

Have you read Adams' other works? The Dirk Gently novels were also splendid, IMO.