Gael's mission to shock the world and be USO champion - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gael's mission to shock the world and be USO champion

He has an awesome opportunity with no points to defend until USO. Allez Gaelou

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
country flag julia_gu

julia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond reputejulia_gu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gael's mission to shock the world and be USO champion

Allez
julia_gu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
country flag teem

teem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond reputeteem has a reputation beyond repute

allez, vamos first for the match against john ! see after for montreal ... hope to be awake, don't remember the word, mum, hop no to be sleeping or something else hihi, euh,
teem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
country flag Senegal

Senegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond repute

This mornings match against Isner is exactly where we want him to be in terms of concentration and determination I think.

He didn't let the bad game which ultimately cost him the second set get him down, didn't throw the match away after the hawkeye fiasco and didn't give away a point on serve in the TB. I wasn't convinced he'd come through at the end there because Isner was around 5-2 in TBs against him before that I believe but he was too strong for Big John. That dropshot lob combo was great thinking

Would love to see him improve his finals record in about an hour but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't. This will be a good prep for the season ahead regardless

Vamos
Senegal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Gael and Chamagne seem like they have a great relatonship I expect Monf to win today and to make the QFs of both Canada and Cincy. Allez!!!

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
country flag Senegal

Senegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond reputeSenegal has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Djokovic way too good there, it was a demolition job after they split the opening four games. He was majestic.

Aside from getting more first serves in and keeping his head in it a bit more in the second set I'm not sure what more he could have done out there tonight - the commentators were parroting on a bit about playing more aggressively as they tend to, but it's not something he can do at the drop of a hat obviously; committing himself to taking the ball earlier, stepping in more and avoiding his tendency to fall further and further back as the match wears on against the better players is still a complete work in progress and requires complete determination and belief from him to stick to the plan from beginning of match to end.

I sometimes think he doesn't have a whole lot of faith or comfort in the consistency of his shots when he tries to be more aggressive, which would be one reason why he's inconsistent in his approach to the bigger matches. Maybe he feels going for bigger shots would give away more matches than it would win him, I'm not sure. Staying in his comfort zone means he doesn't give too much away himself but I'd always prefer to see him take more control of the outcome against guys on the very top level.

And when Djokovic is putting him on the back foot from the first strike and barely giving him a thing to tee off on like he was tonight it's going to be heavy labour with not much reward, particularly if his serve isn't working that great, no matter how much he switches up his returns and pace. It's puts him under even more pressure. On the flip side, when the serve is working well he'll always have at least some chance in my opinion, but it still can't be relied on week-to-week even though when I look at it I think it should be even more of a weapon than it is now.

The Nadal match from Doha in 2009 will always be the benchmark of how he should play these matches in my opinion, but it might be a tall order to expect him to ever hit heights like that consistently (or even occasionally). We'll just have to wait and see but I'll always be very optimistic.

And with all that said, his draw in Cincinnati!

[1] Djokovic BYE
Harrison vs Chela
Isner vs Q
[16] Wawrinka vs Golubev

[11] Roddick vs Kohlschreiber
Ferrero vs Lopez
Dodig vs Q
[6] Monfils BYE

[3] Federer BYE
Del Potro vs Seppi
Bagdhatis vs Blake
[14] Troicki vs Fognini

[9] Almagro vs Montanes
Karlovic vs Mayer
Haas vs Monaco
[8] Berdych BYE

Lost to Falla in R1 last year, that was a rough one.

Most likely to be Dodig, Roddick and then Djokovic again if he makes it that far this year. Fairly tricky, another QF showing would be excellent work
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
country flag Stronga23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegal View Post
Well, Djokovic way too good there, it was a demolition job after they split the opening four games. He was majestic.

Aside from getting more first serves in and keeping his head in it a bit more in the second set I'm not sure what more he could have done out there tonight - the commentators were parroting on a bit about playing more aggressively as they tend to, but it's not something he can do at the drop of a hat obviously; committing himself to taking the ball earlier, stepping in more and avoiding his tendency to fall further and further back as the match wears on against the better players is still a complete work in progress and requires complete determination and belief from him to stick to the plan from beginning of match to end.

I sometimes think he doesn't have a whole lot of faith or comfort in the consistency of his shots when he tries to be more aggressive, which would be one reason why he's inconsistent in his approach to the bigger matches. Maybe he feels going for bigger shots would give away more matches than it would win him, I'm not sure. Staying in his comfort zone means he doesn't give too much away himself but I'd always prefer to see him take more control of the outcome against guys on the very top level.

And when Djokovic is putting him on the back foot from the first strike and barely giving him a thing to tee off on like he was tonight it's going to be heavy labour with not much reward, particularly if his serve isn't working that great, no matter how much he switches up his returns and pace. It's puts him under even more pressure. On the flip side, when the serve is working well he'll always have at least some chance in my opinion, but it still can't be relied on week-to-week even though when I look at it I think it should be even more of a weapon than it is now.

The Nadal match from Doha in 2009 will always be the benchmark of how he should play these matches in my opinion, but it might be a tall order to expect him to ever hit heights like that consistently (or even occasionally). We'll just have to wait and see but I'll always be very optimistic.

And with all that said, his draw in Cincinnati!

[1] Djokovic BYE
Harrison vs Chela
Isner vs Q
[16] Wawrinka vs Golubev

[11] Roddick vs Kohlschreiber
Ferrero vs Lopez
Dodig vs Q
[6] Monfils BYE

[3] Federer BYE
Del Potro vs Seppi
Bagdhatis vs Blake
[14] Troicki vs Fognini

[9] Almagro vs Montanes
Karlovic vs Mayer
Haas vs Monaco
[8] Berdych BYE

Lost to Falla in R1 last year, that was a rough one.

Most likely to be Dodig, Roddick and then Djokovic again if he makes it that far this year. Fairly tricky, another QF showing would be excellent work

If Gael gets to the QFs again that would be an outstanding summer for him and hes positioning himself for a run at the Top 5.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
country flag Monfils

Monfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with all your post, very good arguments and good anylisis. I think the first work for him and Chamagne is to recover his serve. I remember in 2009 or last year from september to the end, he had a very regular serve. He was over the 60% easily. I dont know what happened but since the start of season he has difficulties to be regular in this. I know he can recover it anytime but it seems that becomes an emergency.

For me its the key of his game. In 2009, in Doha or USO if you remember, he played amazing tennis. He had very good serve, he played agressive. I expect he recovers this game but he has to work on his serve for that. When he passes his first serve, he can put pressure on his oppononent, entering in the court or going to volley or just hit a strong forehand.
Moreover, not achieving to pass his serve seems to act on his nerves. He's frustrated and can lose his concentration. I saw it against Kohlschreiber, Simon or Stepanek.

And furthermore i hope he will try more winners from backhand. I find he's less agressive with his backhand than his great matches against Murray in Bercy, Nadal in Doha or Ferrer in French Open.

If he works on that, serve and backhand, i think he can do a big surprise in USO.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
country flag Senegal

Not sure how he'll go against Kohli after picking up this injury in the Dodig match now. Hopefully it doesn't have too much of an effect on his USO more importantly

I was surprised he won the 2nd set to tell the truth, I only saw little bits of the match before that and it didn't look that promising. Commentator thought it was a hamstring injury which was worrying but hopefully the acrimony in GM over its severity means it's not too big a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monfils View Post
I agree with all your post, very good arguments and good anylisis. I think the first work for him and Chamagne is to recover his serve. I remember in 2009 or last year from september to the end, he had a very regular serve. He was over the 60% easily. I dont know what happened but since the start of season he has difficulties to be regular in this. I know he can recover it anytime but it seems that becomes an emergency.

For me its the key of his game. In 2009, in Doha or USO if you remember, he played amazing tennis. He had very good serve, he played agressive. I expect he recovers this game but he has to work on his serve for that. When he passes his first serve, he can put pressure on his oppononent, entering in the court or going to volley or just hit a strong forehand.
Moreover, not achieving to pass his serve seems to act on his nerves. He's frustrated and can lose his concentration. I saw it against Kohlschreiber, Simon or Stepanek.

And furthermore i hope he will try more winners from backhand. I find he's less aggressive with his backhand than his great matches against Murray in Bercy, Nadal in Doha or Ferrer in French Open.

If he works on that, serve and backhand, i think he can do a big surprise in USO.
Yep, I'm in full agreement with you on all points.

Looking over his first serve in 2011 it's been an odd creature this year in terms of both pace and consistency, maybe best highlighted by the first two matches he played at Barcelona; in the first round against Haase he got the first serve in 58% of the time and was winning points on it at around the same rate as his second serve, less than 60% of points - in the next round a couple of days later versus Richie he got it in nearly 90% of the time and actually saw an increase in the number of points he was winning on it. Maybe he just had a bad day against Haase but his feel for it seems to be completely different in every match he plays which is the problem.

I've said before but the Kubot match sums it up for me quite well. He has problems with his groundstroke preparation and movement on grass as we know but when he had the first serve working it didn't really matter - he was only losing points on his own terms and he was blasting through games in a minute. But for a complete set before that he was just putting it in with little on it and getting nowhere, and the the next day when they came back after the delay it was the same story. The odd thing was that it came to him as quickly as it left him - maybe it was just a purple patch of great serving but it looked to me like he should be capable of repeating it for the majority of his matches. Tim Henman was on commentary the first day and I remember him being confused as to why Gael wasn't even attempting to put in those big serves to begin with.

Gotta say on the subject of his backhand, when he flattens it out DTL for a winner that's probably my favourite shot of his. Doesn't seem to like going for it too much, but it is very effective.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
country flag Monfils

Monfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond repute

In L'Equipe he said he felt as an electric shock in the left leg. I dont know exactly how translate it in english but he said he pulled a muscle on the left leg ("claquage ŗ la cuisse").

He wasn't able to slide, it was like he played on grass ^^. And he had a lots of difficulties to run. Finally he achieved to save breakpoints in the second with his serve&volley. And as the muscle was warm he could move more easily.

If Kohlschreiber played as he played against Roddick & Lopez it will be very tough for Gael, but Gael know how playing Kohli and won all his matchs excepted in Halle.
It will depend on GaŽl'shape, it would be fantastic if he could reach the quarters and take 180 points more for the Masters.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
country flag Senegal

Don't think that match could have gone any better

Good luck to him against the machine. Let's hope he presents a few different tactical problems even if nothing else, this has been his best lead up to the USO ever and another match against Djokovic should do him no harm in the long run even if he does lose.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
country flag Stronga23

Quote:
Don't think that match could have gone any better

Good luck to him against the machine. Let's hope he presents a few different tactical problems even if nothing else, this has been his best lead up to the USO ever and another match against Djokovic should do him no harm in the long run even if he does lose.
You have no idea how happy I am. If Gael comes to the net like he did tonight he is in with a chance. I will be going insane if Monf grabs a set

Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #13
country flag Senegal

This post from the result thread in GM after the Montreal match last week shows what the big idea was all along guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezUSA View Post
Nice strategy Gael. Now he will take you for granted in Cincy and you can really unleash your awesomeness on him! Cerebral as always...
Cerebral indeed

He didn't have quite enough in the tank to pull off that ingenious plan but I was really impressed by his approach to the match tonight. He was serving great for large portions of it, his groundstrokes had more meaning to them and his execution at the net was better than I've ever seen it I think. I'd say he also deserves a bit of credit for the way he worked himself out of really difficult situations at times on his own serve in particular (even if he couldn't manage to salvage that service game from 0-40 at 4-4 in the second set).

It's definitely disappointing that he lost track of his game when he did with Djokovic there for the taking but it shows how little you can away to a guy like him even when he isn't on top of his mental or physical game - at times Novak didn't look too into the match but when he got that opportunity it was all over. All in all I think Gael will be encouraged by how he played tonight even if he couldn't see it through. I am anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how he does in New York!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
country flag Monfils

Yes i think this match will be useful in future. He played very very well with volleys i didnt think he was able to do. And mentally he was very strong, saving a lots of BPs and being agressive when he had to do. Unfortunately, he "killed" himself with bad games on serve and double faults. I dont think Djokovic was better but GaŽl didnt hold.

I can't wait for USO and hope GaŽl will stay in 8 seeded players to have a good draw !
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
country flag Senegal

[1]Djokovic vs Q
Riba vs Berlocq
Starace vs Berrer
Davydenko vs [32]Dodig

[22]Dolgopolov vs Gil
Nishikori vs Cipolla
Karlovic vs Gonzalez
Stakhovsky vs [13]Gasquet

[9]Berdych vs Q
Fognini vs Zeballos
Petzschner vs Ramos
Q vs [20]Tipsarevic

[31]Granollers vs Malisse
Kukushkin vs Montanes
Andujar vs Ferrero
Dimitrov vs [7]Monfils

Well, there's his quarter of the draw.

Dimitrov could be tougher than his R2 or R3 in my view. Part of that is probably fantasy over Dimitrov's ability which his results don't back up, but I saw a good bit of his match with Tsonga at Wimbledon so I'm still wary of him.

A R4 match against Berdych could be a really good spectacle I think if he gets that far. But I'm hoping Tipsarevic will take him out Montreal style deep down.

Djokovic again. Can't get away from the guy at the moment.