I wonder how adidas feel? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #16
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wonder how adidas feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
they just didn't want to match ST's offer and let Nole go
don't know about the reasons though.
i know. i was just disputing the premise of the OP that they let go djokovic to sign murray without having any basis for that. he probly just said it cause he hates murray but still...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #17
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, Adidas hurt Nole's feeling with the way they treated him, as if Nole was the second fiddle, also with signing contracts with Murray on some extraordinarily favorable terms (ex. letting him put on patches on his shirts like RBS, Highlander, etc). Yeah, Murray was clearly on upward and being British, 2012 London OG effects appealed to them. And there was news that they were going to promote him with Beckham who is also an Adidas player and belonged to the same management agency. So I think it was a reasonable move by them. Of course, Nole wasn't happy with the whole situations, as he knew they didn't appreciate his potential as a player and his market value properly. After all, he already had a slam title next to his name / had been ranked higher most of the time and it wasn't like he was in the twilight of his career. Hence, he decided to leave them, even letting the falcon line go which had a special meaning to him.

Last edited by shuhrat : 07-20-2011 at 06:03 AM.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
They're probably feeling really stupid for not offering him more money .
Yet they gave Ana Ivanovic a lifetime contract last year despite her not making it past the 4th Round of a Grand Slam since she won the French Open in 2008 . She's the only Slam winner they have at the moment with Safin and Henin retired.
Ana is very marketable I think, regardless of her tennis performance
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I think so, too. Results come and go but a face like that is for life.
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
country flag Yup

Yup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
Yet they gave Ana Ivanovic a lifetime contract last year despite her not making it past the 4th Round of a Grand Slam since she won the French Open in 2008 . She's the only Slam winner they have at the moment with Safin and Henin retired.
They also have a slamless moonballer. What more can they ask for?

Quote:
Correction: Ana was very marketable. She might still be marketable, but only in Serbia. It wasn't long after 2008 that Adidas and the rest of the world came to their senses and realised she's just another fluke in women's tennis. After her French Open title, she had a big chance to profit from it both on court (her tennis performance) and off court (sponsors). She did neither of that and has been flopping hard ever since.

Nike has always been smart with their decisions when choosing which cows to milk.
Yup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

^^ I think you missed the point why she still is and always will be marketable everywhere
Hope it is clear now, tool!
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
^^ I think you missed the point why she still is and always will be marketable everywhere
Agreed. And rofl at Ana being marketable only in Serbia... as if anyone here spends big $$$ on tennis
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
country flag Yup

Yup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond reputeYup has a reputation beyond repute

Her looks? Looks can only get you so far, and when you're relevant no more and not talked about, what good will looks get her? Nothing. She wasn't talked about in Wimbledon and if I were one of the people at Adidas, I'd be cringing my teeth at whoever decided to give her a contract like the one she has. You don't have to be one to cringe anyway.

Let's not forget Ivanovic is no Kournikova. Unlike her, Anna knew her mediocre game won't get her much in singles and was smart enough to use her looks to earn money and more money because it's the only thing going for her. She won't be remembered for her game but for her looks which she milked very well.

Ana Ivanovic is irrelevant nowadays so as much as she's good looking, according to you, she's currently no marketable material. How can you market your brand if the sponsored can't make it deep at tour events, let alone ones as big as Grand Slams which attract the most attention?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #24
Slacker

Well, the current WTA #1 doesn't go deep in Slams either. Moreover, when you look at the women's top 20, only Sharapova and Clijsters are household names - a casual tennis fan would probably struggle to recognize anyone else there.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
country flag Yup

Quote:
Well, the current WTA #1 doesn't go deep in Slams either.
That's what I hinted at earlier. Whilst it's true she has embarrassing runs at slams for her ranking, she makes deep runs at a lot of tour events, winning a number of them on the way. It's understandable Adidas still sponsors her. Add to that she's pretty popular in Scandinavia which is obviously a big market.

Quote:
Moreover, when you look at the women's top 20, only Sharapova and Clijsters are household names - a casual tennis fan would probably struggle to recognize anyone else there.
If you mention women's tennis to a casual fan, you're more likely to hear three to four names: Sharapova, S. Williams, V. Williams and perhaps Clijsters too. Even if they weren't in the top 20 (the Williams sisters currently aren't) they'll always be mentioned and talked about. No company is naive or stupid enough to drop any of these ladies regardless of their results. Why? Because they generate a lot of revenue. Their names are now brands of their own. This is not the case with Ivanovic.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt they care much to be honest.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #27
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yup View Post
Her looks? Looks can only get you so far, and when you're relevant no more and not talked about, what good will looks get her? Nothing. She wasn't talked about in Wimbledon and if I were one of the people at Adidas, I'd be cringing my teeth at whoever decided to give her a contract like the one she has. You don't have to be one to cringe anyway.

Let's not forget Ivanovic is no Kournikova. Unlike her, Anna knew her mediocre game won't get her much in singles and was smart enough to use her looks to earn money and more money because it's the only thing going for her. She won't be remembered for her game but for her looks which she milked very well.

Ana Ivanovic is irrelevant nowadays so as much as she's good looking, according to you, she's currently no marketable material. How can you market your brand if the sponsored can't make it deep at tour events, let alone ones as big as Grand Slams which attract the most attention?
What about Sharapova? She hasn't been winning anything for a long time and she's probably the most recognisable and marketable female tennis player our there. Why? because she's gorgeous. Same as Ana.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nº2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #28
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
What about Sharapova? She hasn't been winning anything for a long time and she's probably the most recognisable and marketable female tennis player our there. Why? because she's gorgeous. Same as Ana.
She screams better uh-la-la.

Also every news of woman tennis that make the first pages of sport media is about screaming loud.

yawn.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #29
country flag Sonja1989
ClayCourtTard

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

It is only tennis... I think they have more money on another sports e.g. football.
TT singles: (ranking: 106) Titles: Quimper CH '13, Rome 2 CH '13; Kazan CH '13 and Singapore CH '12. Finalist of Orléans CH '13; Alphen CH '12 and Mons CH '12. SF of Umag '13, Chennai '13 and Buenos A. '13
doubles: (ranking: 91) Titles: Andria CH '13 (w/J99) Sao Paulo CH Finals '13 and Alphen CH '13(w/Crvena Zvezda); Burnie CH '13 (w/delicfan), Bordeaux CH '13, Rome 2 CH '13(w/EnriqueIG8); Cordenons CH '12 and Alphen CH '12 (w/delicfan). Finalist of Sao Paulo CH '13(w/EnriqueIG8); Los Angeles '12(w/MikiKuba) and Cali CH '12(w/hat__boy)

DTT Singles: (ranking: 13) Title: Barcelona
Doubles: (ranking: 10) Title: Titles: Canada MS, US Open (w/*Jean*) and Acapulco/Sao Paulo '14 (w/J99) Finalist of Being/Tokyo (w/*Jean*)
Sonja1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #30
country flag Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Sharapova is a multiple Grand Slam champion. The name "Sharapova" is already a brand, even outside tennis. So even with her abysmal results last year, Nike would have never considered dropping her. As for the other bit, she reached SF in Indian Wells (Premier Mandatory), final in Miami (Premier Mandatory) and won Rome (Premier 5) and in those tournaments, Ivanovic crashed out in earlier rounds. Add to that the French Open and Wimbledon.

Don't compare Sharapova to Ivanovic. Yes both are gorgeous but Sharapova was able to build on it from the start unlike Ivanovic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
She screams better uh-la-la.

Also every news of woman tennis that make the first pages of sport media is about screaming loud.

yawn.
I'm not sure what newspapers you read or media you follow but I can assure you this isn't the case.