Should FIFA re-institute the Golden Goal? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should FIFA bring back the Golden Goal?

Yes 4 14.81%
No 23 85.19%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should FIFA re-institute the Golden Goal?

After watching the Women's World Cup and especially Brazil's epic fail in Copa America, I am wondering whether or not PK's are the best way to close a game after 120 minutes.

I just don't like how 2 teams can play for 2 hours and then have the game decided by basically Russian Roulette. Sort of like the 5th set tiebreaker at the USO. I'd rather have them play advantage set. 8-6, 9-7, 10-8, etc.

Plus, when teams know they have PK's to rely on, you see teams just kicking it around waiting for the whistle to blow.

What say you?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should FIFA re-institute the Golden Goal?

If they eliminate pks then they need to give each team an additional 3 subs for extra time.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Golden goal is great. It gave a inimitable dramatic dimension.

And PKs are really unfair.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

No way. Golden Goal was removed for the very reason that it made teams to hesitant to attack because one goal would decide it and then it is too risky to attack with many players because it leaves you open if you get countered. That made the overtime an exhibition in defensive play where the occasional horrible mistake or goalkeeper failure lead to a golden goal. Having a chance to actually get back even if you get scored on opened up the overtime again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post

Plus, when teams know they have PK's to rely on, you see teams just kicking it around waiting for the whistle to blow.
That was one reason for removing the golden goal actually.

And to be entirely fair PK isn't entirely a russian roulette. Miss your first 3 like the US did in the finals vs Japan is simply unforgivable. The player got all the advantage in the world and the quality of PKs was laughable. Probably it was part fatigue, part nerves but that's what makes it interesting and such a trial for a team.

If US had put their best, most experienced player to take the first shot and scored then it would have turned out differently. I have honestly never seen a team miss the first 3 shots ever and I have seen countless penalty shootouts. It's one thing to make an awesome penalty shot and have it hit the post or the keeper doing an amazing save. It's another thing to shot it 5m over or a weak lame shot on the keepers side.

It's not an optimal way to close a match but it isn't in other sports either and if you don't have the balls for it then don't let it go to penalties. US twice failed to defend a lead, they can't really complain about the PKs then. Just like Brazil they had the most to lose in the PK and they let it get to them. Just like a tennis player can choke a tiebreak they choked in the PK.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

No.

If the one in OP's avi was any good then the US would've won the PK's. Japan was better. Period.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

No. Golden goal was not football IMO. I'm all for making the game more modern with goal cameras and such, but a 30-minute extra time is how it's been done for ages in football and it should continue as such.

It's also not good if you don't have penalties nor the golden goal, then you might end up with a match where both teams are exhausted and the winner won't have any chance in the next match.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Reinstate maybe.

Re-institute, probably not.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

After the match, first have the penalty shoot-out.
After the penalties, play the extra time (with or without golden goal).
If after extra time the game is still tied, the team that won the penalty shootouts wins.

Often we see matches where teams are more scared to lose than eager to win. By having the penalty shootout first, you make sure that one team definitely has to score, which makes the extra time more exciting.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Goalden Goal was the most unfair thing ever in football. I'm glad it never comes back!

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Golden and Silver goal can well and truly fuck off.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Haha did you see the penalties? Russian roulette my ass... biggest horror show I've seen since the Dutch vs. Italy at Euro 2000

Golden goal is really unfair in my opinion, because football isn't/shouldn't be a game of 'who scores first'. That's what makes the Germans so great (and what makes them so annoying ), they always find that extra something in the last couple of minutes. The golden goal would eliminate that quality, which just isn't right.
But I love the excitement that it brings, that dramatic moment when you score the winner and realize that you've ended it, especially if it's the final (euro 2000 final, I believe?)

Penalties are equally exciting and more fair. They are a perfect test of technique, mentality and composure = FOOTBALL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

No.
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

what a f**king stupid idea... yanks lost... that is sport...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

no thanks

and penalties are not just luck. It's a question of practice and holding the nerves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
After the match, first have the penalty shoot-out.
After the penalties, play the extra time (with or without golden goal).
If after extra time the game is still tied, the team that won the penalty shootouts wins.

Often we see matches where teams are more scared to lose than eager to win. By having the penalty shootout first, you make sure that one team definitely has to score, which makes the extra time more exciting.
sounds great tbh

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote