Richard's Time In The Heat- Summer Season 2011 - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #301
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard's Time In The Heat- Summer Season 2011

I don't think he really cares enough about winning or not actually.
Beyond his tactical game schemes which are a total mess, he lacks the champion instinct and unfortunately, never he will have it.
But thanks to his awesome talent and if he starts to play the right way one day, he could snatch a important title (M1000, unlikely GS) but it will remain a one-time performance. Top 5 is not for him, never. (Top 10 is quite easy to reach in this era so he could make it)
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #302
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
Beyond his tactical game schemes which are a total mess, he lacks the champion instinct and unfortunately, never he will have it.
But thanks to his awesome talent and if he starts to play the right way one day, he could snatch a important title (M1000, unlikely GS) but it will remain a one-time performance. Top 5 is not for him, never. (Top 10 is quite easy to reach in this era so he could make it)
In the Karlovic match he showed great emotion, he really wanted to win that match. I'm just hoping he continues the way he played in set 3 and 4 against Karlovic into the Asian season and the European Indoor season. Only 315 points to defend for the season, I'm hoping he can can knock them off before the Asian season finishes. He has about 6 tournaments left in the season maybe 7 so I'm sure he will gain some points and try to finish inside the top 12.

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #303
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if Richard played Karlovic set 3 and 4 tennis, he'd certainly defend his points and pick up more but not sure enough to move aheaad of those ahead of him who are STILL in USO (or close behind who are still in.)

Problem with Richard is and has been is his inability to maintain such a high level of play for more than a set or two. Some blame it on fitness but i don't think that is the case, especially not now. Maybe it's lack of killer instinct (which is very different from wanting to win) and/or an inability to maintin focus/intensity. In fact I think it's cuz he wants to win so much and can't control his mind when things get tight. He certainly wanted to win that Karlovic match, at least the last 2 sets, he left his heart on the court in that one. Ever notice how often he plays better when the match is "over" and how many times in interviews he mentions who is the favorite and who has all the pressure.

Last edited by Schu : 09-05-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #304
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am not convinced he can reach AND stay in top 10 for long period of time. Players such as Ferrer, Berdych, Soderling, Del Potro, Roddick, Tsonga, Monfils, Fish all have more class. Richard showed a glimpse this spring that he can challenge these kind of players, but since RG he has been just a top 20 player. To be solid top 10, he needs to what he did this spring all year long. Starting at RG how many sets has he won against top 10 opposition?
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #305
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1980 View Post
I am not convinced he can reach AND stay in top 10 for long period of time. Players such as Ferrer, Berdych, Soderling, Del Potro, Roddick, Tsonga, Monfils, Fish all have more class. Richard showed a glimpse this spring that he can challenge these kind of players, but since RG he has been just a top 20 player. To be solid top 10, he needs to what he did this spring all year long. Starting at RG how many sets has he won against top 10 opposition?
Those players have more something than Richard but it is certainly not more CLASS. Maybe I define class differently than you but in my opinion RIchard is Top 5 in class. Perhaps you mean more tenacious mindset in Ferrer's case, more power in Soderling, Berdych, Del Potro, and Tsonga's case, more speed/athleticism in Monfils' case and more I don't know what in Fish's case (still can't figure out why Fish is doing so well). And what is Roddick doing in there with those guys? Only thing I can think that Roddick has is more, WAAAY more cockiness.

I do agree with you about Richard not being able to stay top 10, I'm not sure he can even get to top 10 at all. But I'm not a fan of Richard's because he wins or because he is top 10, I'm a fan of his because of his total CLASS and the absolute magical tennis he displays occassionally (and he isn't too bad to look at either ).
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #306
country flag case

case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Those players have more something than Richard but it is certainly not more CLASS. Maybe I define class differently than you but in my opinion RIchard is Top 5 in class. Perhaps you mean more tenacious mindset in Ferrer's case, more power in Soderling, Berdych, Del Potro, and Tsonga's case, more speed/athleticism in Monfils' case and more I don't know what in Fish's case (still can't figure out why Fish is doing so well). And what is Roddick doing in there with those guys? Only thing I can think that Roddick has is more, WAAAY more cockiness.

I do agree with you about Richard not being able to stay top 10, I'm not sure he can even get to top 10 at all. But I'm not a fan of Richard's because he wins or because he is top 10, I'm a fan of his because of his total CLASS and the absolute magical tennis he displays occassionally (and he isn't too bad to look at either ).
very well said.
that class comment bothered me too. richard has more class than just about anyone in tennis. his shots get me through his matches. he is beautiful to watch
and you nailed my thoughts on the the top players.
thanks-again a great post
except i still think he has top ten in him again.
case is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #307
country flag case

case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite View Post
I hope he doesn't get selected. I actually want France to win

that is a terrible thing to say! shame on you
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #308
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Richard suffers from elbow, he will pass some tests in next days.

Uncertain for Davis cup.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #309
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the elbow isn't too serious, Monfils also has a problem with his knee. Forget also said that Llodra will come in for a singles player, expected as Llodra is a great doubles player so either Simon or Gasquet to miss out IMO.

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #310
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post

I was talking strictly in tennis terms. I don't mean character (as far as that he is right there with Rafa and Roger) and personality or how nice he is, but as far as challenging top players. I feel like Ferrer, Tsonga are simply tougher as far as their record vs top 10. Now, Roddick obviously has dropped off this year, but still he is more consistently threatening.
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #311
country flag Schu

Quote:
Richard suffers from elbow, he will pass some tests in next days.

Uncertain for Davis cup.
Elbow again!

Anyway he probably wasn't and shouldn't be selected for DC against Spain. I'm assuming Nadal and Ferrer will be the singles players and I think Richard has exactly one win (Ferrer indoor?) over the 2 of them combined out of maybe 10+ matches - very unlikely he'd get his second win in a DC match in Spain on clay.

Would much rather see him prepare for indoors than be a practice partner on clay for the other guys. No matter who plays for France, it's going to be extremely difficult.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #312
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Beat Ferrer in Canada I think
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #313
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If he is fit he should at least be considered to play imo although I'm sure he'll lose. None of them have beaten Nadal on clay. Points wise I would think that Richard was the best player on clay this year for france. Jo is not at his best on clay and neither has Gilles been this year.

Mika's doubs credential are indisputed but singles on clay really? The only good run he had this year was until he played someone in the top 50.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #314
country flag case

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite View Post
Beat Ferrer in Canada I think
he did? i always thought that ferrer had his number.

But llodra? isnt he getting toothy, over the hill, aged, decrepit, senile, rocking chair bound, worn out- whatever. too old!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #315
country flag ImmzB

Llodra only for the doubles.

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!