In hindsight do you prefer to finish 2nd or 3rd? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In hindsight do you prefer to finish 2nd or 3rd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
I've competed myself (not in tennis but in other sports) and I gotta say I prefer the silver. Why? Because for me it's just as tough losing a tight semi-final as it is losing a final.
In basketball I've won 2 Championships, lost 1 final, lost 2 semi-finals. The final we lost wasn't even close, while one of the semi-finals was decided by the final possession of the game, and one of my teammates was supposed to drive to the basket and pass to me so I could shoot a 3-pointer (and I had made a 3-pointer on the previous possession). Instead my teammate lost the ball. I sometimes think back to that moment and wonder what would have happened if he got the ball to me. I remember at the time I was certain I was going to make the game-tying shot, so was very frustrating not to receive the ball. I would definitely say that was the worst loss, but I've never lost a close final, so hard to compare semi-final to final loss in my case.
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

i prefer the 3rd, i cannot stand watching the trophy in my "enemy"'s hands

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather come in second if it was a race. In a head-to-head competition I might prefer third because then you lost the penultimate match rather than the ultimate one so the disappointment is not quite as great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

3rd if you lose against the eventual champion in a knockout tournament. Think about it, yes you might have a bronze, but there will always be the feeling that you could've beat the guy who came second. Thus, edging you on. Whereas coming second is the ultimate "I'm just not good enough".
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

2nd place is first loser. Third place is second loser. In either case, you're a loser. That's basically what it comes down to.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
country flag Blackbriar
Banned!

Blackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the question should be asked to Andy Murray. When he will finish his career with 0 GS title and 9 final defeats he will have a very precise about that feeling.
Blackbriar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote